pinkgothic

Daily Dragon Fix

Has anyone else noticed a sharp dropoff in the views they get from the site since we could "bank" clicks? I suspected it was giving less, but was not sure because I usually put my eggs on two sites at the same time. Last night I grabbed two of the new eggs just after the release started (it helps to be hunting in the biomes already when an unexpected release happens!). I put them only on DDF and now, over 12 hours later, they have exactly 8 views, 4 unique views and one click each.  sad.gif

I really love this site, and while I have begun to "bank" some clicks, I do still visit and take the minute or two it takes to do the "view all" pages at least once a day. I would hope that others are doing the same and that this was just an unusual case, also, since it was overnight it might be skewed. I intend to leave them only on DDF for 24 hours and see what my stats are at the end of that time. Hopefully as more users return to put their new eggs on the site things will improve, but as of now I am very disappointed to see what is happening.

DDF is the only site I put my eggs into between 7d and 6d and I hadn't noticed anything strange, but I also don't pay very much attention to the site in regards to anything but clicks, since the views situation has always been fairly catastrophic and has always steadily declined ever since the site's initial inception. I'd make a game out of giving views, too, but I wasn't sure if I should, given that other sites have always been better at that. smile.gif

That said, the past seven-ish hours have given me around 19 unique views per egg, though, which is still way more than 4 unique views. *headscratch* (They all have about 4 clicks each, too, which is definitely more than 1.)

Edit: Okay, sorting my scroll by time and trying to remember which stuff I didn't trade for but raised myself (and without spacing out about it), it actually looks like I'm getting more clicks [since the introduction of click-ahead]. I seem to get more than 30 clicks fairly consistently these days, whereas my average before seems to have been around 25 clicks? It's really hard to average these numbers in any meaningful ways, I've got to admit. My take-away is that I definitely see no drop in clicks, though.

So if you're experiencing fewer clicks, we should investigate what might be causing that. (Maybe the randomness algorithm for the click ring doesn't work right?)

Edit II: Realised 'getting more clicks now' is ambiguous, fixed the wording.

Edited by pinkgothic

I guess when people are clicking eggs in the "start clicking" section they are also giving them views, so maybe the difference in your stats and mine make sense.

Incidentally, mine from last night are now up to 5 and 6 UVs, while the newest one, that I just put on the site shortly before I posted here, also has 6 now! But they each have only one click. huh.gif

I guess when people are clicking eggs in the "start clicking" section they are also giving them views, so maybe the difference in your stats and mine make sense.

Except my point is they shouldn't, the start point in the click ring is randomised. Hence my concern.

Has this been a consistent problem or is this just today?

This is the first time I have put my eggs in immediately after catching them, so I only put them on DDF. I usually wait longer and then put them on DDF and EDS. So I can't really answer that.

But I think even with the randomized start of the clicks, there could easily be a discrepency between just two random users.

This is the first time I have put my eggs in immediately after catching them, so I only put them on DDF. I usually wait longer and then put them on DDF and EDS. So I can't really answer that.

But I think even with the randomized start of the clicks, there could easily be a discrepency between just two random users.

Absolutely! It just wouldn't do that consistently, which is why I asked and panicked for a bit. If you could help me and keep an eye on this, I'd really appreciate it. (I reviewed my source code to see if there was anything about the randomness that might be off, but even staring at it with super scepticism powers has given me nothing yet. I'm curious if I have to stare harder. smile.gif )

Edit: If someone wants to review the click ring logic, you can look at it here. The paste will expire in a month. The only thing I changed from the actual code is to rename one of the constants so it would be less confusing to people that aren't me. Which is not to say the code as a whole won't be confusing to people who aren't me! But I tried. xd.png (And yes, my code has that many comments in it, shoosh, don't judge me.)

The known issues with the click ring are described somewhere in this thread and I'll hammer the link into this post shortly.

Edit II: Oh it's on the first page of the thread WELL THEN HAVE A LINKY LINK. That said, the tl;dr is that stuff will randomly get more or less clicks per click ring. This should not be clustered around certain codes, that would not make any sense, but! It's a known quirk.

Edited by pinkgothic

I suspect that everything is working as it should and it was just randomness, but I will try to remember to keep an eye on it. wink.gif It certainly is no reason to panic just yet.

I do see an overall drop in views and unique views, though, between those two sites, which is all I use for about the first day and a half.

Edit to avoid double posting:

user posted image

This is what my egg stats look like right now for the ones I have had only on DDF.

The two at the bottom have been on the site for about 23 hours now.

The next has been there for about 10 hours.

The one at the top has been on for 8 hours.

huh.gif

Interesting, but probably not significant.

The two oldest ones will now be introduced to another site to give them a boost. I need them to hatch on time so I can get more. wink.gif

Edited by purplehaze

Hi, just joined and everyone's correct it is very addictive clicking in the "start clicking" section laugh.gif

Was wondering how you get one of those Lunar Herald drop badges I keep seeing in signatures and does it change automatically? cause with the time differences that would be great.

Wow see what I mean I got to end of clicks already

Edited by Paige201208

Hi, just joined and everyone's correct it is very addictive clicking in the "start clicking" section laugh.gif

Was wondering how you get one of those Lunar Herald drop badges I keep seeing in signatures and does it change automatically? cause with the time differences that would be great.

Wow see what I mean I got to end of clicks already

Here: https://forums.dragcave.net/index.php?showt...iew=getlastpost

And yes, it updates automagically smile.gif

I've given the site HTTPS support. It should automatically redirect you to the HTTPS version when you visit it.

If anyone experiences trouble with the new setup, please let me know. While I think my testing and clicking covered all technical use-cases, there's always a chance I overlooked something.

Edited by pinkgothic

Just wanted to drop in and say....

Thank you!!!

I almost lost 3 of my babies, but with this hatchery, I was able to save them!

And... by the by, I click EVERY day to help others, as you can see in my siggy... I REACHED THE END OF CLICKS wink.gif

Again, thanks sooooo much! biggrin.gif

These are the babies that were saved and are now all grown up![/color]

user posted imageuser posted imageuser posted image

Zeus's Lightning ___ Raytah ___ Aphrodite's Mirror

Could I ask a moderator for help, please?

I've been having issues with my chrome and lost all my passwords. So I need to double check and make sure that my scroll name and the username I used for DDF are the same, and to change my password.

Thank you!

Could I ask a moderator for help, please?

I've been having issues with my chrome and lost all my passwords. So I need to double check and make sure that my scroll name and the username I used for DDF are the same, and to change my password.

Thank you!

Got you covered; I sent you a PM. smile.gif

Does the fansite have a Privacy Policy stating which information is collected, used, shared and who the information is shared with?

Does the fansite have a Privacy Policy stating which information is collected, used, shared and who the information is shared with?

Nope.

Given the answer is "none, except for what you can see being in use for the duration you can see it for", that's also not likely to change. laugh.gif (With the added note that I don't know what passwords people use, since I only have password hashes in the database, so that's not ever accessible to me even in theory.)

Edited by pinkgothic

Does clicking the dragons still work if I use snaplinks? I noticed it tries to open the iframe page in a new tab. Idunno if this affects the clicks I give.

Does clicking the dragons still work if I use snaplinks? I noticed it tries to open the iframe page in a new tab. Idunno if this affects the clicks I give.

Opening them in new tabs is not a problem, it's still a click. However, if you're going to use Snaplinks, you should give it a sufficiently large "delay between actions" (you can find that in its Snaplinks options page on the Advanced tab) to give the server enough time to process all those page openings. I found that a value of ~3000 works well enough.

Try not to do that while the hourly lag is going on though.

Edited by Ruby Eyes

Opening them in new tabs is not a problem, it's still a click. However, if you're going to use Snaplinks, you should give it a sufficiently large "delay between actions" (you can find that in its Snaplinks options page on the Advanced tab) to give the server enough time to process all those page openings. I found that a value of ~3000 works well enough.

Try not to do that while the hourly lag is going on though.

Just out of curiosity, why should I do this? I mean, it seems to open the pages just fine?

Or does the DC server not process the click that way?

Thanks for your help! smile.gif I'll be sure to change the settings.

Also I wanted to stop by and give my compliments on how great DDF works on mobile! laugh.gif

Well, you'd kinda hog quite a bit of server bandwidth if you'd try to open all 500 tabs at once, for both the DDF site and DC ...

Well, you'd kinda hog quite a bit of server bandwidth if you'd try to open all 500 tabs at once, for both the DDF site and DC ...

Ah okay, that's stuff I don't really think about blink.gif I'll keep an eye out and do the change you said!

Question: is it okay to report hidden eggs/hatchlings, or is that button only for adults and dead dragons? The frontpage asks to report hidden dragons but the button doesn't mention them. sad.gif

Question: is it okay to report hidden eggs/hatchlings, or is that button only for adults and dead dragons? The frontpage asks to report hidden dragons but the button doesn't mention them. sad.gif

Short answer: It's totally up to you.

Long answer:

Generally speaking, the site has an auto-cleaning script (it runs every 30 minutes), but it was originally designed to work even if the API is down or otherwise not reachable (e.g. a coding error on my part!). When you mark a dragon with a click of your own, you're helping to make sure that even if the site can't reach the API, the dragon will be removed.

From an administrative point of view, we want the community to mark dragons for removal that they want to see removed. We strongly recommend reporting adult and dead dragons, but the historic case for removing fogged dragons was never that strong... so we don't ask people to mark them and leave it up to them. smile.gif (Ultimately, all marking is up to the users.)

That said, the auto-cleaning script does remove non-protected fogged dragons, so if you want to align yourself with the auto-cleaning script, please mark fogged dragons. (Don't worry about whether it's protected or not, the site worries about that for you.)

I hope that clarifies things a bit! If not, feel free to ask follow-up questions.

Also, thanks for marking dragons and helping to keep the site resilient against API-availability-outages of any kind! We really appreciate the help. happy.gif

I just wanted to say thank you so much for adding the add all button! At first I was worried it would tempt me to sin because it'd be so easy to add everything again if I forgot to click, but to the contrary it's made it so much simpler to keep my constantly changing growing baby inventory updated that I've been using it more than ever! Many thanks smile.gif

I just wanted to say thank you so much for adding the add all button! At first I was worried it would tempt me to sin because it'd be so easy to add everything again if I forgot to click, but to the contrary it's made it so much simpler to keep my constantly changing growing baby inventory updated that I've been using it more than ever! Many thanks smile.gif

Bwaha, you're welcome. Honestly, I reckon the person benefiting most from the feature is me. xd.png Even with my 60 clicks a day I sometimes just derp out and lose my codes.

Glad it's useful for you! Thanks for letting me know smile.gif

Oh man, I must have started using this site after the add all button was put in, I've never seen it without. Wait, no, I think I manually put in codes for like the first week. It is *so* fast and simple with the add all button! And it really is helpful because, with the AP as low as it's been lately, sometimes I can go through multiple batches of eggs in a day.

Guh. For some reason my autocleaning script stopped working two-ish days ago (between 14:13:03 and 14:43:01 EDT). Very sorry about noticing that only now - thank you to everyone who has been diligently marking dragons and helping to keep the site functional despite the outage. I'm doing to see what happened - I don't remember changing anything in the code. Will update this post once I know more. smile.gif

Edit: Okay, it seems someone managed to put in a blank code (a bit surprised about that, but I haven't security audited the DDF code), and apparently the API doesn't like that. I've removed the offending code from the database. Will update when I've removed this ability. Am contacting the user that put it in for thoughts.

Edit II: Found the problem - the short version is that there was an and-check for a non-blank code in a place there should instead have been an or-check for a blank code. All patched up.

Edited by pinkgothic