pinkgothic

Daily Dragon Fix

That sounds like a nice feature, but . . . one of the things I like most about DDF is that I can count on a nice steady stream of views and clicks. If you start letting people skip days I am afraid that it will change the whole dynamic of the site. sad.gif  Please consider either making it a bit more "expensive" than that to skip days (as many people already click at least that many every day as it is) or allow them to skip a maximum of one day.

That's exactly why I'm doing the doubling - but keep in mind not everyone is going to skip their clicks on the same day, so the click distribution itself should not be significantly unsettled.

(For example, say I do 140 clicks on Monday, and you do 140 clicks on Tuesday, and a third person does 140 clicks on Wednesday, then I'm back to clicking on Thursday to keep my eggs on the site. Contrast that with all three of us together doing 60 clicks on Monday, 60 clicks on Tuesday, 60 clicks on Wednesday...)

Since it gets exponentially more costly, I have no interest in making the baseline more costly, really. The reason I want the feature (and why I won't limit it to just one day) is people who leave for a weekend and don't want to have to re-add their codes. That's been frequently requested.

Some numbers:

Keep codes after today: 20 clicks

Skip one day (keep codes after tomorrow): 60 clicks

Skip two days (keep codes after the day after tomorrow): 140 clicks

Skip three days: 300 clicks

Skip four days: 620 clicks

Skip five days: 1260 clicks

Skip six days: 2540 clicks

There are 1007 dragons in the database.

You can click a bunch of them more than once if you really want to, obviously (DDF has always been dumb like that), but there aren't a lot of people who have the patience to click every dragon on DDF even now.

But if I am currently clicking 100 - 150 dragons a day, which I easily do and I know others do, too, then there is really no penalty at all until I have skipped 3 days. If I currently click 120 dragons on Monday, 130 on Tuesday, and 115 on Wednesday, but can now skip Tuesday and Wednesday and make up for it with only 140 clicks on Thursday when I would have clicked on 120 anyway, someone's dragons are going to get less clicks.

I won't argue the point further right now, but I will be closely tracking what happens to my dragons in the future if you do make the change.

But if I am currently clicking 100 - 150 dragons a day, which I easily do and I know others do, too, then there is really no penalty at all until I have skipped 3 days. If I currently click 120 dragons on Monday, 130 on Tuesday, and 115 on Wednesday, but can now skip Tuesday and Wednesday and make up for it with only 140 clicks on Thursday when I would have clicked on 120 anyway, someone's dragons are going to get less clicks.

I won't argue the point further right now, but I will be closely tracking what happens to my dragons in the future if you do make the change.

If you click 120 on Monday, you can only skip Tuesday.

If you click 130 on Tuesday, you can only skip Wednesday.

They very deliberately don't stack, since otherwise you can keep amassing 'free' days by just clicking 60 every day, which would ruin the point of the exponential progression (both as a disincentive and as a way to make up for the lost day(s)).

If you click 140 on Monday, you can skip Tuesday and Wednesday. You need to click again on Thursday. How much you click on Thursday is up to you and depends on how many clicks you want to skip.

You personally might click less than you currently do because you're already clicking lots - most people are either going to click as much as they used to (20 / day), or are going to click more (me, for example; I'll click 60 - each day, even, because sometimes I forget to click, and I never know when it happens; using the "one day skip" to genuinely skip a day is actually going to defeat the benefit I'll otherwise get).

smile.gif

Seriously, relax.

Edited by pinkgothic

So it would be just an insurance against having to re-add all your stuff after missing a day.

So it would be just an insurance against having to re-add all your stuff after missing a day.

Well, for me personally it would be (and I imagine some others might also feel that way). smile.gif Others might want it as a genuine skip.

smile.gif

Seriously, relax.

I am just concerned that the dependability of the site will suffer, but I'll wait to see what happens and say nothing more for now. smile.gif

I do understand the frustration of forgetting one day and having to reenter all the codes. Like everyone else I sometimes forget and it is not a good feeling to click on the account page and see all those empty blue spaces staring back! wink.gif

Some numbers:

Keep codes after today: 20 clicks

Skip one day (keep codes after tomorrow): 60 clicks

Skip two days (keep codes after the day after tomorrow): 140 clicks

Skip three days: 300 clicks

Skip four days: 620 clicks

Skip five days: 1260 clicks

Skip six days: 2540 clicks

I've made some preparations for this feature. If anyone sees something going wonky, let me know. Nothing should go wonky (the part that I know can go wonky has been tested), but that doesn't rule out that I've made a stupid mistake. smile.gif

I'm all for the change, at least for a one-day skip, because there have been times where I've had to rush to get clicks done or have managed to forget for a day. Usually I'm on target, but I'm grumpy when I'm not.

And it won't change my click behavior at all. I might try to make sure I hit 60 each day instead of my usual "at least 20 but somewhere past that," but I always try to give extra clicks and always try to visit daily.

With the increased click amounts too - I think it's fair. Dragons are what, in each stage for three days minimum? That means that if someone is really gung-ho and wants to skip five days, and it's not a holiday (there's usually 1000ish dragons on DDF otherwise), they're going to definitely click your dragon at least once before it grows up, which may not have been a guarantee before if they clicked only 20 a day to stay in.

Even if they decide to only skip one or two days at a time, they're still clicking more than the minimum, which means you still have an increased chance of a click from users that are clicking for skips/insurance, than you would your regular 20-and-I'm-done user.

From my addled point of view this morning, I actually see this as a win-win situation.

It's become so rare that I was starting to think the administrative info as to which code I just removed isn't really relevant any more, but alas: my mouse just decided to click twice instead of once while cleaning out DDF and ovF27 disappeared from DDF. Sorry about that! >_<

Grendell100 was so kind to chat me up in PM and offer his help with the site upkeep. I've given him administrative access, so he'll be helping toss out adult and (non-protected) fogged dragons. smile.gif

Thank you, Grendell100!

I'm a little confused - I had registered on the site before the domain was changed, and when it did change I stopped using it since. Now I wanted to register again, since it says in the first post that accounts without any clicks for 4 weeks get deleted, but it seems like my account was still there all this time. Does this mean that accounts no longer get removed?

My scroll information is not correct on my Daily Dragon Fix account information page is incorrect. There does not appear to be any way for me to correct this myself. How do I go about getting this corrected. I tried to read through this thread but missed it if it is here. Thanks for any help you can give me

My scroll information is not correct on my Daily Dragon Fix account information page is incorrect.  There does not appear to be any way for me to correct this myself.  How do I go about getting this corrected.  I tried to read through this thread but missed it if it is here.  Thanks for any help you can give me

And by that, you mean when you registered, you accidentally typed your scroll name incorrectly? sorry i'm slow

Edited by Tani

And by that, you mean when you registered, you accidentally typed your scroll name incorrectly? sorry i'm slow

No, did not re-register. I had not been to the site for a while and was not even aware changes were going to happen or had been made. My sign in is on an auto sign program so I typed nothing. What I did notice upon log in was my scroll now read my several changes ago password rather than my scroll name.

If it cannot be corrected I guess that is not a huge problem just thought you might like to know.

No, did not re-register. I had not been to the site for a while and was not even aware changes were going to happen or had been made. My sign in is on an auto sign program so I typed nothing. What I did notice upon log in was my scroll now read my several changes ago password rather than my scroll name.

If it cannot be corrected I guess that is not a huge problem just thought you might like to know.

It can be corrected. PM me your DDF username and scroll username? smile.gif

Decided to try DDF today for the first time and OMG it is so awesome!

DDF is definitely THE nicest hatchery to use for giving clicks - so easy and fast!

Not so convinced about having to add by entering codes individually, but I can see it will slow down anyone trying to do anything naughty with someone else's scroll.

The DDF icon is in my sig and I'll be staying around for the near future.

Awesomesauce!

~rendragyn

Decided to try DDF today for the first time and OMG it is so awesome!

DDF is definitely THE nicest hatchery to use for giving clicks - so easy and fast!

Not so convinced about having to add by entering codes individually, but I can see it will slow down anyone trying to do anything naughty with someone else's scroll.

The DDF icon is in my sig and I'll be staying around for the near future.

Awesomesauce!

~rendragyn

Awesome! tongue.gif

Honestly, I'd offer another means, but I don't have API access yet, unfortunately. smile.gif So manual code maintenance is the only way that's going to work for the time being.

Glad you like the site! biggrin.gif

Decided to try DDF today for the first time

...and snuck her way into the moderator team while no one was looking. smile.gif Welcome to the DDF janitorial team, rendragyn! Thanks for helping out. user posted image

I've been noticing a lot more adults/fogs/dead dragons lately - could you use another hand in helping keep DDF clean? =)

I've been noticing a lot more adults/fogs/dead dragons lately - could you use another hand in helping keep DDF clean? =)

Mostly we could really use API access! I guess I should shoot TJ a PM about it (I submitted a request for access twice by now, derrr).

But generally speaking, helping hands are definitely always appreciated. There's not much anyone can destroy on DDF, so I'm always very happy to give out "administrative" privileges. ...do you want to help? biggrin.gif *hopeful glance*

----

Edit:

Public Service Announcement

Due to the encyclopaedia release, DDF is currently generating up to about thrice as many clicks as usual (maybe more - I've seen a factor four increase on my own dragons, but I expect some of those to be from other fansites that usually generate no clicks as well). This is unlikely to be a problem unless you're someone who pushes stats to the near-max for healthy growth like I do for early gendering, but please be careful.

user posted image

Edited by pinkgothic

Hi there!!

I was just wondering if I would be allowed to put the codes for some of my boyfriend's eggs on my account?

Why: Because we use the same internet and laptop and so if we click the same dragon it only counts once, and I thought it might be better if they're on the same account because then people's eggs won't miss out on a click when it shows up and the other one of us has already clicked it.

Does that make sense?

Thanks! smile.gif

Hi there!!

I was just wondering if I would be allowed to put the codes for some of my boyfriend's eggs on my account?

Why: Because we use the same internet and laptop and so if we click the same dragon it only counts once, and I thought it might be better if they're on the same account because then people's eggs won't miss out on a click when it shows up and the other one of us has already clicked it.

Does that make sense?

Thanks! smile.gif

If your boyfriend is cool with it, go ahead; have at it! smile.gif There's a limit to the total amount of codes you can submit to the site, though, just so you know. I don't know if that'll be bothersome for you.

Enjoy your clicking. biggrin.gif