pinkgothic

Daily Dragon Fix

There is now a very basic Fire Gem 'Clock' page:

https://leviathan.thorngale.net/fire-gem-colour.php

It doesn't do much - it just shows you what's dropping now, and the next colours that will drop, in order. I'm the kind of goofball that needs a page like that, so I figured I'd make it available for everyone.

Shokomon has kindly let me use the lovely icons made for the fire gem cycler again. ❤️

There is now a basic Solstice helper page (late for this year, but I suppose better late than never):

https://leviathan.thorngale.net/solstice-colour.php

We now have enough variant tools that I've created an overview page here:

https://leviathan.thorngale.net/dragon-tools.php

Edit: And here's a cycler:

solstice.png

URL: https://leviathan.thorngale.net/solstice/solstice.png

Edited by pinkgothic

Lovely :wub: Definitely beats having to look everything up all the time! :lol:

Hey @pinkgothic, may I ask what filling the TMPB does? XD I can't seem to fill it up even a quarter of the way through.

23 hours ago, Princess Kiara said:

Hey @pinkgothic, may I ask what filling the TMPB does? XD I can't seem to fill it up even a quarter of the way through.

XD I mean, if I explained it, it wouldn't be very mysterious, would it? I can divulge that theories have been proposed, though, and some people have discussed when it resets. I wouldn't know anything about that, though. *nods sagely, as if there were any mystery left about it at all*

New cycler, courtesy of Shokomon kicking my ass to make one (much as I word it snarkily, thanks Shokomon!):

image.png

Product of the same PM conversation, there's also a dynamic Lumina Calendar. Note that the calendar sneakily assumes that the percentages are continuous (i.e. change even over the course of the day), which is my theory only, it's not been tested. I've put a disclaimer on the page about that, but I figured I'd mention it from the get-go. ^_^

42 minutes ago, pinkgothic said:

New cycler, courtesy of Shokomon kicking my ass to make one (much as I word it snarkily, thanks Shokomon!):

image.png

Oh, thank you for that! I have been hoping someone would do that. :wub:

Since the Dragon Cave IRC's gone away, just in case there's anyone else out there who strongly prefers IRC over Discord, you're welcome to join #dataclaw on irc.darkmyst.org for chatting. I won't likely ever make it mandatory, but I recommend you connect using TLS (SSH) on port 6697.*

#dataclaw is a channel primarily for non-Dragon-Cave topics (most notably, it's the OOC channel of the IRC roleplay Tarnish), but frequented by some Dragon Cave players already. Even in times when no DC players are online, you'd still be very welcome. :)

Note: IRC Cloud connections will not work - I've chosen to disallow those, since the permanent centralised logging IRC Cloud does may be what people's problems are with Discord, if they're considering alternatives. You're of course free to use literally any other IRC client (web or otherwise). ❤️ (You're also welcome to argue with me about this, of course.)

* Let me know if you need help with that, given your IRC client of choice. For mIRC, you can connect using TLS if you supply +6697 as a port (the plus is important, that's what tells mIRC to use TLS).

[ Edit: I finally managed to get my more active general purpose channel cleared of IRC Cloud, so I no longer need a dedicated channel for DDF purposes. ]

Edited by pinkgothic

Thank you for running this site! The care to maintain a unique fan site for the benefit of all of us and our dragons is very evident and I appreciate it every day I come to click. :)

10 hours ago, LittleMad said:

Thank you for running this site! The care to maintain a unique fan site for the benefit of all of us and our dragons is very evident and I appreciate it every day I come to click. :)

You're very welcome! The brunt of the work was done by @emmilely, though, I just maintain and tweak it. ❤️ Thanks for reaching out with those kind words! I appreciate it.

I'm having problems with the "import all" option. When I click on that it just goes to a blank white page. I can still add eggs individually and otherwise everything on the site seems to be working okay for me.

17 minutes ago, purplehaze said:

I'm having problems with the "import all" option. When I click on that it just goes to a blank white page. I can still add eggs individually and otherwise everything on the site seems to be working okay for me.

On it! Thanks for the report.

...okay, that was really strange. A file had completely disappeared (rather, almost surely a whole mini-framework in a system location I rarely use in any of my projects, actually, since my local backup copy of DDF doesn't have the file by its lonesome, either). I wonder if this is related to the maintenance Linode did the other day, given that's the only thing that changed in the past weeks. o_O Anyway, sorry about that - would have been preventable if I'd copied the file in question into the project folder!

Try now, @purplehaze!

Edit: Okay what. This actually started happening between 06:43 UTC and 07:13 UTC last night. I'm going to dig into the audit logs, see if I find anything. o_O (I do have some co-admins doing non-DDF things on the machine, maybe one of them making a sleep-addled mistake is all that's happened.)

Edited by pinkgothic

It seems to be working fine, now! Thanks for the quick response. :)  Good luck finding what went wrong.

51 minutes ago, purplehaze said:

It seems to be working fine, now! Thanks for the quick response. :)  Good luck finding what went wrong.

Glad it works again! Sorry about the mess in the first place.

If you're curious, I managed to rule out that it was a co-admin, or indeed anyone logged into the machine. Nothing in process accounting looks suspicious, everything seems to be set to its normal permissions and access rights, so I'm very sure this wasn't some compromise. That leaves automated processes - but I've no clue what automated process might have clobbered this, unfortunately, which is really frustrating! I first suspected unattended system upgrades (which are usually safe to run, and keep the machine patched up with security updates, but mistakes happen), buuuut they ran about three hours later, so I'm at a loss. ಠ_ಠ Very unsatisfying "conclusion", but I'm sure if I try to dig any deeper I'll just waste more time at this point.

v_v Anyway, should it ever happen again, give me a shout! ❤️

For the last week or so, some of the iframes on the clicking page have been loading in weirdly, like this:

430334986_ScreenShot2019-11-06at8_37_54AM.thumb.png.21eddffacf6252b3cc15a5b4eef01fd8.png

Is this happening to anyone else, or is it just me? It makes clicking kind of awkward.

It seems to display normally for me. I just clicked through 80 dragons.

I usually just click from the "view all" pages, so I hadn't done that for awhile, but it looked okay for me.

Edited by purplehaze

4 hours ago, codyne said:

Is this happening to anyone else, or is it just me? It makes clicking kind of awkward.

Odd that this would start happening now, really - seems to be the width of some sprites doing it, at least in Chrome.

I've completely changed how the images are displayed. That should fix the problem. You may have to reload once, bypassing the cache, as I changed the CSS definitions, but it should work consistently now.

Thanks for reporting this!

3 hours ago, pinkgothic said:

Odd that this would start happening now, really - seems to be the width of some sprites doing it, at least in Chrome.

I've completely changed how the images are displayed. That should fix the problem. You may have to reload once, bypassing the cache, as I changed the CSS definitions, but it should work consistently now.

Thanks for reporting this!

Everything looks ok now! Thank you!

Is anyone else just getting a blank white page when you try to load the site? No error message or anything, but just a blank page.

18 minutes ago, purplehaze said:

Is anyone else just getting a blank white page when you try to load the site? No error message or anything, but just a blank page.

Thanks for the report! I'm on it.

Edit: MySQL server had crashed. I've restarted it; it should be back to normal now. I'm going to see if I can figure out what caused it (it might be related to a problem the server had earlier, I think the timestamps match).

Edit II: Not quite the same timestamp, but I'm guessing it's related, regardless. Basically, the server ran into some issues because (without realising, obviously) I created some conflicting configuration last night, following a request on the IRC network I host a server for. After I made that change, a bot process that was meant to connect to the IRC network couldn't connect, but kept trying, and cron kept spawning more of those processes, for a spectacular bang. :D That bang happened about five hours ago; but it looks like the MySQL server may have crashed a bit earlier than that! OOM (out-of-memory), perhaps; logs are inconclusive, sadly. I actually didn't realise anything else had been affected (simply did not think to look, crashing really shouldn't have happened in this situation - instead, new connections should have simply be refused, then resumed once the situation got cleared up), sorry for the outage. Again, thanks for reporting! ❤️

Edited by pinkgothic

3 minutes ago, purplehaze said:

Glad to see it fixed so quickly! :)

It was down a few hours, unfortunately! Really sorry I didn't notice earlier on my own. Thanks for reporting it - it would have been down a few more hours if you hadn't. DX ❤️

Is something broken? I seem to be seeing an unusual number of adults in the site recently. Usually when I click through the "view all" pages I see maybe one or two at the most. I just went through and saw at least 10 or 12. Same a day or two ago. Not a major problem, just not what I am used to seeing, so I thought I would mention it.