Lila

Movies that no one's ever heard of

"Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead" a film based on a play by Tom Stoppard based on Hamlet. It's... really weird. I love weird. biggrin.gif

Billy Bud

It's a pretty old one, but really good. It's a LOT like 'Mutiny on the Bounty' (even came out the same year), but with better acting, and the main character has a speech impediment, which leads to him getting into trouble.

I think the only reason 'Bounty' is more famous is because it has Tahitian women.

Howl's Moving Castle was amazing! I love that movie! IMO it deserved the 4 Stars it got.

Billy Crystal was hilarious in it. "May all your bacon burn"

Anyways, ...

How about "Once Upon A Forest"?

Moon. Easily one of the best movies I've seen (Sam Rockwell! <3), yet there don't seem to be many people who've heard of it.

Confessions of a Dangerous Mind is also pretty damn good (and more Sam Rockwell!).

Infernal Affairs (the movie that inspired The Departed) is better than The Departed, but not nearly as famous.

Have people heard of Pandorum? Great Sci-Fi movie with sadly, bad marketing, so it wasn't a succes when it first came out.

Has anybody ever seen THX 1138? That was a pretty good film.

Oh yes smile.gif George Lucas' opera prima biggrin.gif

Cube (Canadian psych-horror film)

The one with a young Rodney McKay David Hewlett? I liked it biggrin.gif

I saw a movie that nobody seems to know... The Navigator: A medieval odyssey. Australian movie directed by Vincent Ward, who 10 years later would direct that beauty called What dreams may come.

"Men seeking relief from the Black Death, guided by a boy's vision, dig a tunnel from 14th century England to 20th century New Zealand."

George Romero's Knight Riders. A modern-ish twist on the Arthurian legend as lived by a traveling faire of motorcycle jousters. Stephen King and his wife Tabitha have an appearance early on in the movie.

Shock Treatment. A 1981 follow-up to, but not an actual sequel of, the Rocky Horror Picture Show. A few of the same characters played by different actors (Brad and Janet, RHPS newlyweds Betty and Ralph Hapschatt) are featured, as are several RHPS actors in different roles... Richard O'Brien, Patricia Quinn, "Little Nell" Campbell, and Charles Gray. (In RHPS, they played Riffraff, Magenta, Columbia, and the Criminologist, respectively.)

I'v seen Cube( my sisters made me as i dislike horror, but this one was rather good), Howls Moving castle and laputa: castle in the sky.

Lets see...

Grave of the fireflies. (you will cry if you have a soul)

Tales from Earthsea,

Neither are "Miyazaki" (the second technically is, as it was his son's first directing gig) but are from Studio Ghibli

Cube (Canadian psych-horror film)

I didn't know it was Canadian. There's also Cube 2 (or squared if that makes sense) and Cube Zero, though I haven't seen Zero before. I'd really suggest them to people who love very bizarre movies

I recently watched The Happiness of the Katakuris with a friend which is a Japanese comedy-musical-something-or-other?

I still have a fondness for 8 Heads in a Duffel Bag.

The Computer Who Wore Tennis Shoes and its sequels. It's rather old but quite good. Also: The Secret of Moonacre (relatively recent but unheard of), Best Player (made for TV), and Crimes of Fashion (never actually seen it but I've heard it's good).

... Howls Moving castle and laputa: castle in the sky. ... Grave of the fireflies. (you will cry if you have a soul)

Are any of these obscure?? o_e; I thought everyone knew about these.

Also, cult classic to add to the list o'er here: The Little Girl Who Lives Down the Lane

Return from Witch Mountain(1978).

I thought it was awesome when I was little, even though it was already 20 years old when I saw it.

Little Nemo.

NOT finding nemo, LITTLE Nemo. The kid who shouts pajama pajama spells. I think a lot of people have actually seen this movie but they have no idea what you are talking about until you show them a clip.

OK - obscure... "Der Trip oder Die Gitarre 0.5" I wonder if anyone ever heard of that.

I don't know how obscure this actually is, but I have a feeling it is more obscure than many of the Miyazaki movies mentioned here:

Chicken Run

I love this movie!

Alright, here's one: The Great Mouse Detective. Not many people know of it, and I think it's pretty cool.

I don't know how obscure this actually is, but I have a feeling it is more obscure than many of the Miyazaki movies mentioned here:

Chicken Run

I love this movie!

Excellent movie! (And hardly obscure. biggrin.gif )

I've heard of The Great Mouse Detective but haven't seen it.

Hmm.

Eyes of an Angel (1991)? (My own mother worked on it and I'd never even heard of it till I found it linked in her IMDb page.)

Lighthouse (also 1991)?

or Rituals (1977)?

Syaoransbear, I LOVED the original Witch Mountain movie (Escape to Witch Mountain - 1975). The second (1978) was okay and the new ones (2008, 2009) were pointless as the first was so good!

Alright, here's one: The Great Mouse Detective. Not many people know of it, and I think it's pretty cool.

Chicken Run

Little Nemo.

laputa: castle in the sky.

I think all of these but maybe Little Nemo are well known. Especially Castle in the Sky.

ArchiosLukos: A lot of this thread is well-known titles for some reason lol.

Also, Chicken Run and The Great Mouse Detective were great. :3c

Not sure if these are really obscure, but I've never really heard much about them even when they were new:

Nate and Hayes - Adventure on the high seas!

Johnny Dangerously - "You shouldn't hang me on a hook, Johnny. My father hung me on a hook once. Once!"

Oscar - I know, Stallone and comedy don't usually mix, but this movie is absolutely hilarious.

Disorganized Crime - Big city crooks trying to plan a bank heist in a small town, and things just don't seem to want to go their way.

Goodness, but I could go on... Anyway, if anyone's looking for a good laugh, I'd say check these out. Well, Nate and Hayes is more adventure than comedy, but there's some humor there as well.

Oh and Lagie, I'd recommend The Great Mouse Detective. I think it's one of the more under-rated Disney movies. Perhaps not a timeless classic for the ages, but it's a fun ride.