grimace

Taxidermy

So i did a bit of looking myself just to see what bad taxidermy i could find... And i honestly cannot stop laughing..

You can also just look at this website because everything there is hilarious

http://crappytaxidermy.com/

Gentlemen... BEHOLD! The beauty of nature!

Some of those were actually well-done and were just set up differently on purpose, though. No idea why they're in there.

Gentlemen... BEHOLD! The beauty of nature!

Some of those were actually well-done and were just set up differently on purpose, though. No idea why they're in there.

The mice in the jar or whatever..those were cute. I liked those.

I find it creepy. Those eyes... Blarg. I personally don't see how people can have stuffed animals around their houses, but whatever floats your boat~

I don't like Taxidermy. It's disrespectful to the animal's spirit. I eat meat and see nothing wrong with wearing fur or leather, but I don't, unless it's off the rez where my cousins live. They ask for pardon before they kill, and use every usable bit of the animal, before they bury with honors the rest.

Taxidermy, it's just butchering for human's enjoyment. And wrong on so many ways. But, that's just MY opinion. I don't condemn other who do it and like it. But I do avoid them.

I don't like Taxidermy. It's disrespectful to the animal's spirit. I eat meat and see nothing wrong with wearing fur or leather, but I don't, unless it's off the rez where my cousins live. They ask for pardon before they kill, and use every usable bit of the animal, before they bury with honors the rest.

Taxidermy, it's just butchering for human's enjoyment. And wrong on so many ways. But, that's just MY opinion. I don't condemn other who do it and like it. But I do avoid them.

Many animals who are taxidermied were killed for other reasons, though, or died of natural causes.

Edited by 7Deadly$ins

I don't do taxidermy, but it's a very interesting combination of art and anatomy.

I'm really interested in freeze dry animal preparations, skinning and tanning, and to some degree amateur taxidermy too. I like sculpting foam block and doing basic mounts, but in truth I'm really horrible at it and I don't know where to go to apprentice and learn the art.

Love this shiz.

Sweden has a similar museum, popular place to visit for schoolstrips.  biggrin.gif

(And the lion there looks better.  xd.png  Here's some pics...)

Don't forget the Skvader!

In all seriousness though, I find taxidermied animals a bit unsettling, but that's coming from someone who doesn't even like to have photographs of people on the wall.

Edited to add: But bare bones, like skeletons, is alright. I have my own plastic model of a human skeleton and an extra skull. As well as some animal bones.

Edited by Ripan

Many animals who are taxidermied were killed for other reasons, though, or died of natural causes.

You missed my point. It still dishonors the animal's spirit, regardless of how the animal died. But again, it's just my opinion.

Edited by Riverwillows

I don't really have a problem with taxidermy but I, personally, am not a fan of it. Might be because I have an irrational fear (mayhaps even a phobia??) of being near/touching dead things.

I think taxidermy is ok thing when the animals weren't killed for the purpose itself, and I like to go nature museums to see when they are well made and in their natural

habitat. I think those art-taxidermy animals are also beautiful. But personally I like bones more (skulls, skeletons etc) tongue.gif

Taxidermy is pretty cool - hopefully I'll be visiting the NHM at Tring soon. I probably wouldn't get into it myself, because it's easier to paint and draw than preparing skins and stuff (I'm pretty lazy!), but it does interest me, provided it's done well. I've always wanted a pair of kudu horns, oddly enough. And maybe a thylacine skull replica.

I don't know, taxidermy always feels more respectful to the animal than anything else, no matter how it died. It seems better to be marveled at in a museum or stately home than being left to completely rot. From a human point of view, you'd want to be remembered.

Plus it's allowed modern scientists to study the anatomy and genetics of species that have been extinct for decades, if not a century or more.

I think taxidermy is a good way of seeing an animal up close and personal with out being eaten alive! It gives people a chance to appreciate the animal just inches away. Its good for teaching children about animals, how big they are, etc., just a good 360 of the animal.

Taxidermy for domestic animals is a bit bizarre and a bit useless. We see them everyday. A deer I can understand, their flighty, shy, and hard to get a good view at, making it all the more exciting to see one up close.

If you see a taxidermied ol' cow someone used to have people might be: huh.gif

If you see a taxidermied texas longhorn people would be: blink.gif

If you see a taxidermied elk people would be: "Oooo"

If you see a taxidermied giraffe people would be: blink.gif >"I want to hug it to deat--... wait..."

If you see a taxidermy display of past cats... people might be: walking back out of the door.

Now if little Jr. wondered why lions, bears, alligators etc. are so "terrifying" he may never exactly understand the shear size of the danger. Sure you can say, "They'll eat you!" "They're this BIG!" "It took off my finger!". Now, if you go into a zoo, it will give the child an idea. But (may sound cruel at first) allowing the child to look into the eyes of dead fear, and the story behind it, can give them a deeper idea of true terror.

Humans are ordinarily not dumb enough to say, "Hey look a badger" then go cuddle with it; but their are pretty stupid people out there that set a bad example.

With non dangerous animals (not saying that they can' be) its a good way of learning, and a constant reminder to (lets be nice and say dull people) to respect our fellow companions.

Has anyone seen the equivalent of human taxidermy before? There is a traveling exhibit called "Bodies". It's insanely educational and creative. The exhibit contains skinned, mummified corpses in different positions, poses, and cross sections. It's beautiful, really.

Both of these links may be considered NSFW, due to the fact that the bodies are not clothed.

A Video of the Exhibition

Taxidermy is pretty neat. When I went to the Smithsonian a few months ago, there was tons of taxidermy in there and it was really awesome.

One of my friends skins and stuffs birds at the infamous Cornell Lab of Ornithology for a living. They have skins of some of the rarest birds in the world, and many of them are type specimens of extinct birds (such as Ivory-billed Woodpecker and Carolina Parakeet, to name a couple). Without taxidermy we would have no way of studying these creatures. Taxidermy is a priceless tool for studying an animal's anatomy without cutting into something living, allowing us to make advances in all sorts of scientific fields. It's a priceless tool for education, also - thousands of people walk into museums every day with a little more appreciation of the natural world.

Check out TheBrainScoop on YouTube; she has some great (and hilarious) educational videos using bones and stuffed specimens as examples.

I did not find that stuffed lion to be amusing.. I'm actually not sure if that was on purpose or they were really inexperienced. I would hope it was the second option. I just feel really bad for that lion.

I'm not so against taxidermy on animals, but things like that lion just give me a bad gut experience.

I did not find that stuffed lion to be amusing.. I'm actually not sure if that was on purpose or they were really inexperienced. I would hope it was the second option. I just feel really bad for that lion.

I'm not so against taxidermy on animals, but things like that lion just give me a bad gut experience.

The lion was done in 1731 by someone who had never seen a lion before.