Mousia

Overrun | IC Thread

(( I'm fairly sure my posts aren't even near god-like, but thank you, PC. xd.png ))

Roy removed his arms from his face to look at Marley. He debated for a moment whether to tell her the truth or not, but in the end he shrugged. "You could say that." He paused. "I guess I'm sort of debating who to kill first, my father or Them." He almost smiled at her.

Roy pushed himself up and put his back to the window, watching the door as Ash left for a moment and came back with her mother. He frowned at her condition. So They had spread. Possibly a reason for the empty bakery.

He turned his head to glare when Kasper finally opened his mouth to say something. "If you think it's so selfish to want to see your family, go ahead and add me into this if you're really choosing to start an argument at a time like this," he yelled back, "because the reason I even suggested my family's bakery-- emphasis on my family-- was to get my sister, not to get food that you don't even want, but I didn't hear a word out of you when I suggested it. Hell, you could have even pitched in that you wanted to see your parents." He motioned toward Liam, who was probably cowering in the back. "You say she doesn't care about anyone else, and yet she picked up a kid she's never seen before! I probably fall into that category now too, and I don't even know if the one person I would throw my life away for is even alive! You consider protecting others heartless, but I sure as hell don't. Go on, if you wanna see your family, by all means, go yourself!"

(( rushed on the end, don't have time to look over the post. >> ))

"Protecting others? Is putting everyone on this bus's life in danger really protecting others?" replied Kasper, "If we had gone to the police in the first place, we could have gotten Liam sent to a hospital, as well as have the police accompany us to our parents homes, but I guess the pair of you did not consider that, as your only concerns were to satisfy your own desires"

Kasper walked over and grabbed Roy "I want to see my family too, but I'm not selfish enough to jeopardize every ones safety on this bus to do so.. so don't give me this c*** about you and her wanting to protect others, because as far as I'm concerned the pair of you have risked my life, Marley's life, Liam's life and Daniels life just to satisfy yourselves" He released his grip on Roy and headed towards the front of the bus before stopping again, glancing at Ash's mom before exiting the bus.

He ran across the street and headed into the police station, hoping to find someone that could help.

Edited by TotallyDrow

"Damn him," Marley said to nobody in particular "We're all going to die some type of horrible death eventually, so might as well enjoy life while we can, and if that includes finding familt, then so be it. I really think we should leave him. If anyone is hindering us, it's him, not us. I won't lie, I hate all of you, and I'm sure we all have our own differences, but I happen to like not dying, so he'd better tuck it in and shut up, or I'll make sure he does," she pulled out her pocket knife "Empty threats are a lot more powerful than they're made out to be,"

Daniel shook his head at the fighting, watching the now open door for signs of Them. "I'm not following that idjit outside. I explained my opinion, that the people we are with now must become our new families, and that coupled with the fact that my family moved away after I graduated and I'm just technically here to visit means I don't have any home to stop at. Getting worked up and rushing into the more likely than not raided police station isn't going to help us. Getting away from Them will. I vote we head to the country side, not the hospital. Rule number one of predators and prey- the place with the least amount of prey will yield the least amount of predators. Less people, lets Things." Daniel said with a shrug. He looked over at Ash's mom, not to excited about the look over her body, then moved to an empty row of seats and laid down, yawning. "If yall decide to leave me behind, leave me the keys would ya?"

The building was silent and the signs of a struggle was evident all over the place. Papers, tables, chairs and various other items were scattered around the room; not the mention the bodies of several police officers as well as dozens of those things dotting the room. Streaks of blood; human and non human painted the walls and the ceiling in a wide pallete of red hues. It was clear that the unfortunate had not found peace in this room as signs of their desperation to escape and survive were plain as day; a bloody hand print smeared across the glass on an office door just one of the tell tale signs.

Meters away from him on the floor was a large shotgun its muzzle peaking its head around one of the overturned office desks. As Kasper walked closer to the weapon he noticed several boxes of ammunition as well as unused cartridges littered around it. Laying just inches from the shotgun was the previous owner; his chest ripped open with clear bite marks around the open wound. Kasper couldn't bare to look closer, he did not need to see the insides; or what was left of it to know that this man was dead. Right now his only priority was to stock up on weapons and ammunition.

Searching around the room, Kasper found a bag and brought it over, stuffing the ammunition into it as fast as he could. With that sorted, he made his way further into the room, picking up a couple of glocks and an extra cartridge, he also managed to find a partially damaged satellite phone. He had no idea if it worked or not, but it was worth the gamble if it meant they could phone for help. Before he could make any more progress, a series of gun shots were fired from the floor above.

"A survivor" he muttered. Readjusting the police bag containing the two glocks and ammunition as well as his guitar case with the items he picked up from school, he decided to head up there as well, in all likelihood it was a police officer that had fired the gun and he/she would come in handy with surviving this ordeal as well as getting help. With the shotgun firmly in place and his hand on the trigger, he made his way up the building stairs.

Edited by TotallyDrow

Roy only stiffened, lifted his chin, and looked at Kasper with an indifferent gaze when he was grabbed. He merely smoothed the wrinkles in his shirt and flipped his switchblade in his hand. "So that's how it is," he muttered to himself. He glanced at the others in the group. "We're most likely not going to get any help here, and I don't want to go after him. We can find more weapons elsewhere." He leaned on the partial seat in front of his, looking out the windshield. "Ash, it's your call."

"I often find people annoying and aggravating. But I occasionally call on my mercy. Not for mercy's sake, but because I always collect what I am owed." - The Journal of Ashley Baker

Ash shrugged, indifferent. "I'm closing the doors to keep Them from coming in, but we'll wait five minutes. If he's not back, let's assume he's dead and move on." She pulled the lever to close the doors. "If anyone wants to go out after him, say so now. I think it's a deathwish, but I'm not your mother." Mother. The word stung like salt in the wound. Standing up, the teenager approached the bench that her mother laid on. Kneeling beside the woman, she held her mother's hand. "Hey...," she said in hushed tones. "How are you doing?" Ash's eyes sparkled hopefully. "Good. For a dead woman. I think." The response made the girl angry and upset. "Don't say that, Mom." It was a miracle that her voice stayed semi-quiet. "Listen, Ashley. I have a pack of cigarettes, a lighter, and a box of matches in my pocket. Figured that I'd not want to go cold turkey and deal with withdrawal and fight the monsters. I want you to take the lighter and the matches and use them if you need to. Stomp the cigs out. No one needs false hope at a time like this..." The brown-haired girl began to cry at this. Her tears spilled onto her mother's face, but the woman made no attempt to wipe them away. "Stop, Mom..." The woman just reached up and stroked her daughter's face one last time. "Could you... Could you put a white flower in my hands when you get rid of my body? Your father...always used to...give them to me..." For a second of two afterwards, the woman was barely alive, though silent. And then her grip loosened and she was gone. "Mom...? Mom. Answer me. Mom..." Taking a deep breath, Ash wiped away her tears and nodded. "Yeah, Mom. I'll do that." Smiling sadly, the girl held her mother's hand tight. "I'll do that," she repeated.

Daniel was unsure what he could do to help Ash at this point, but he knew he needed to do something... Standing, he walked down the bus's isle, and knelt next to her. He placed a hand her shoulder, tthen bit his lip. "I don't know what else to say but this, we'll take her out to where the air is clean and the nature is beautiful, pick her a huge bouquet of flowers, and give her a damn proper burial, grave and all. We can stop by a funeral home or something if you wanna try to get a casket too..." He said softly, hoping it would comfort the girl.

(Sorry it's so short I'm hitting a wall right now =\)

"A vital part of understanding what a great life you had is losing the person who brightened every day. It's hard to see the light they produce in the daytime, but you can feel its absence at night." - The Journal of Ashley Baker

Ash nodded a little. "Yeah. She'd like that. And I'll be damned if I let Them eat her body." She place her mother's hands together on her chest like they did with a lot of dead people and closed her eyes. It was almost like she was sleeping. "But I think that guy in the station's gonna give me hell for it." The teenager shook her head slightly. "But let's not turn this into a pity party. She went better than my dad did, that's for sure." Reaching into the woman's pockets, she found the three things that her mother had promised. It was at time like those that it was useful to have a smoker for a mom. Always carrying a lighter and a box 'o matches, just to be safe. Ha. Standing up, Ash looked over to the police station. "That boy...," she muttered. "He'll not stop and keep his mouth shut if we decide to skip the hospital and head straight to the country, which is probably the safest place right now. I doubt the police or government will be of any help to normal people like us and the cities are too densely populated. And we can bury my mom. Kill two birds with one stone, right?" She was mostly talking to herself, but it was likely that the others could hear her if they were paying attention.

"Kasper holds about as much weight in my opinion as the ghost he's named after. And if things are as bad as I hope they aren't, that police station is an absolute mess. It probably got raided by humans then swarmed by those Things. If I'm right, the same thing would have happened at the hospital, if not worse. More humans. More noise." He responded to the broken girl. He stood, stepping around the girl and heading towards the door. He had shredded the backing off of the right seat, but he sat down anyways, his back against the window. "If he even makes it out. Hey Roy can I get one of those rolls? Eating helps me calm down." He finished nervously, biting his thumb.

Kasper peered around the corner of the staircase door, he had reached the floor above, where he assumed the gunshot had come from. As he inched his head closer around to try get a better view, a second gun shot was heard.

Instinctively Kasper flinched, pulling his head back from the door and just in time. The wooden frame splintered as the bullet richochet off the door frame.

"Stay back!, Stay back you filthy monster!" shouted a frantic voice. Whoever it was that was in that room was clearly in desperation mode and at their wits end. "It's okay... I'm.. I'm a human.. just like you"

Kasper went down on all fours and crawled through the door, using the nearby desk as cover. Two feet jutted out from beneath it, belonging to a fallen swat officer. As much as he did not want to do this, he pulled the corpse out and began to unfasten the bullet proof vest as fast as he could

In his rush, his elbow knocked against the table, causing the stationary on top to roll off the edge, the sound alerting the distressed survivor to his location in the room, again causing her to fire in that direction. "****censorkip.gif just censorkip.gif die!"

"I don't mean you any harm! We are on the same si.." Kasper was interrupted by a loud crashing sound, followed by a scream. Several shots were fired in quick succession until the clip had run out.

"Help... Help me!" came the voice. Kasper tightened his hold in the gun before entering the room. The center of the room was engulfed in a dust cloud, the aircon vent in the ceiling swinging precariously. As he looked on the ground, he could see the body of the policewoman as she lay their motionless, a group of 'them' currently engorging themselves on her innards.

"****" cursed Kasper, retreating back into the staircase. He wasn't going to waste valuable ammo when there was nothing to gain. As quietly as possible, he began to make his way back to the first floor. He got what they needed, even if the others currently didn't prioritize long range weapons to protect themselves.

He would play the villain, if it meant he secured the proper means to protect themselves.

Roy had kept quiet the whole time, staring out the window. He could hear gunshots faintly and guessed they were coming from inside the building. He didn't like just sitting here. Roy looked up when he was addressed. "Yeah, sure," he said, turning and pulling a roll out of the bag and tossing it over to Daniel. He glanced out the window again, wondering when they would go.

"What do you think will be left after the outbreak? I'm not sure what is to come, but I am sure that it will be much work to rebuild what was lost in this frantic, selfish chaos." - The Journal of Liam Rendi

Liam looked out the window. He'd mostly been silently watching all the events unfold. It was like a horror movie, he imagined. The ones that his parents used to shield him from. But there was not protecting him from that terrible reality. Not amount of covering one's ears or one's eyes would make it go away. The only thing to do was to to keep going and move on, making do with what was available and praying to every deity for an end to the madness. But it would not come easily, just like most everything else in life. One had to work towards the end goal, sweating and bleeding and cursing, but never stopping. It was vital to make use of every waking second and to maximize time. That he knew, but he lacked the authority to say it to anyone. Suddenly, Ash came to his side and put her arm around him. "I'm not letting you die," she whispered. "Never."

Marley impatiently looked out the window, fiddling with her knife. He certainly takes his time, she thought to herself. If we're lucky, one of Them killed him. She stabbed the now ruined chair in front of her some more, until a large slice of leather fell off. She sat down quietly for some time, but eventually, when she felt it had been too long, she walked up to Ash.

"So, are we leaving now? It's been awhile, and we both know that there isn't really enough time to spare and share. If he's not dead yet, he's probably dying from some slash wound." She gestured to the corpse in the back of the bus.

"Sometimes...leniency is necessary." - The Journal of Ashley Baker

Ash looked up as Marley spoke. Standing, she sighed slightly. "I'm not sure that we should just leave him behind. He's an annoying censorkip.gif***, but I don't think we should trade blood for blood. He's just a kid after all. It's obvious that he's not a natural censorkip.gif***. It was in response to something. Or maybe it's just that he's a teenager. You know what they say..." She was feeling vaguely charitable that day. And her mother had told her to be nice to Kasper. She'd have to obey her dying wishes. Wasn't that her duty?

(I didn't want to leave Kasper behind because then he'd be alone, but eventually we'll have to move it along...)

Kasper was walking backwards, his eyes focused in on the interior of the building as he made his way back out. If there was any sign of movement, he was gonna shoot. It was a proven fact that these things were able to run through the buildings vents... essentially allowing them to start raining from the ceiling.

He flinched slightly as his back made contact with the glass door before it was fully able to slide open. With the sun light against his back and the warmth of the outside air brushing his skin, he quickly turned and made his way to the bus.

Besides the bag he had entered the building with, he was clad in a bullet proof vest, unfastened and carrying a second bag, this one filled with two handguns as well as several cases of ammo. Had more of the others entered with him they could have potentially taken more weapons to arm themselves, but he only had two hands by himself and carrying everything he had now was already straining his muscles... the bag of ammo the heaviest of the lot.

"There isn't anyone else inside... not anymore at least..." he muttered, as he entered the bus. He placed the guitar case containing the tools he picked up from school down on one of the front seats and walked to the back with his new loot. In his rush he had mixed all the ammo together and seeing as how he wasn't Mr Popular on the bus right now he felt it would be best to sort out the shotgun ammo from the rest.. that way he wouldn't have to deal with the others.

"Look who's back." Marley's fierce gaze fixed on the weaponry brought back "You certainly took your time, even though you know that there's not much time to waste. Daylight is precious, after all, who know how easy it'll be for those Things to attack us in the midst of night."

Easing her tense, she called to the front of the bus "OK ash, we're ready. Take us where ever you want."

"You can bury a body but you can't bury your feelings. Not as far as I know, at least." - The Journal of Ashley Baker

Ash nodded and went to the driver's seat. "We'll go to the countryside. There aren't as many people all together, which reduces the risk of a lot of Them colonizing their. But we'll keep the windows closed so They can't come in. Putting the pedal to the metal, she sped off in the direction of the forests a while north. Perhaps a few hours' drive. "Unless someone else has objections." Her voice was pointed, directly addressing Kasper's tendency to have different ideas from the rest of the group. "And if anyone has to go to the bathroom... Maybe just bring someone as a bodyguard to the forests and do your thing. We can't afford to lose someone on a bathroom break. It'll set us back looking for the body." Speaking of bodies... She hoped that her mother's body wouldn't start to stink yet. She didn't have much experience with dead people, so she didn't know how soon it would happen...

Kasper didn't say anything, there was a good chance one or more of the others would get their knickers in a twist if he dared have a different opinion to them. It was not his fault that he did not follow herd mentality and just agree with whatever it was the groups appointed leader had decided.

For now, Kasper had enough protection... enough for himself if the situation called for it.

"I- I'm scared Sunny," Antoinette "Anny" Zheng whispered as she tightened her hold on Sunny's waist. "Ma and Pa are going to be okay, right? I wanna see them."

"I don't know Anny," Sunny replied. It was a brutally honest answer, but what else could she say? She wouldn't lie to Anny; Sunny was raised to tell the truth, but after the fateful events that occurred earlier in the day, the teen had no idea what to say to Anny.

"Sunny!! Look what I found!" Anny screamed, flailing her arms around. "It looks like a blade, doesn't it? I think you should take it."

"Yeah, I think it's a switchblade," she responded, receiving the blade from Anny. "Anyways, I found a bat and a bow with some arrows. We need to get the hell out of here."

"You said a bad word. Ma wouldn't like that, you know that, right?" Sunny gave Anny an apologetic look, before grabbing the girl's hand and breaking out into a run.

"C'mon Anny. We'll be approaching the parking lot soon. If we're lucky, we can snag one of the bikes from the rack." The duo soon reached the parking lot. Sunny scanned the lot, and eventually spotted the corpse of an unfortunate individual that was partially eaten by Them splayed on the seat of a motorcycle. "Over there." She held her bat out, in case They were still around. When Sunny and Anny arrived at the area the motorcycle was, Sunny brushed the body off of the seat, making a thud against the concrete. Luckily, there was the key that was partially in. Sunny hopped onto the seat, and beckoned Anny to be seated.

"Alright Anny, I want you to hold on to me," Sunny instructed. "I don't want anything bad to happen. We're getting out of here."

"Yes Sunny."

The day had gone too fast; there were too many horrible events that happened on what seemed like just an ordinary day. It had been hours since the duo left Oceanridge, and Sunny spotted a bus that was parked near the police station. She smelled the gas that the vehicle emitted, and assumed that the bus was going to drive away. If there was a bus at the station, then there'd ought to be survivors, right?

"Wait!" Sunny yelled as she brought the motorcycle to a stop. Both of them leaped off of the bike and dashed towards the bus.

"Hey!" Anny shouted. "We're survivors too!!"

"Mercy is a virtue. Even though selfishness is necessary to human survival, no one gets anywhere with the unbearable guilt of being Death's assistant." - The Journal of Ashley Baker

Ash had just pressed her foot down onto the gas pedal as she heard cries from below. Panicking, the girl slammed on the break, throwing herself and her passengers forward at the sudden stop. "We're survivors too!" The words stung. Would she leave them behind or no...? She was reminded of Liam, a child that she would not have saved if not for the situation with his hand. He was helpless. Hopeless. And what was she? A fighter that had even won some awards. She had owed it to him to at least try and keep him alive. Wasn't it the same thing? Looking out the window, she sighed. Another young child. There was no question. She'd be a monster if she left them there in the dust. Putting the bus in park, she opened the doors and waved them in. But if they didn't get in fast enough, the already established group couldn't afford to have Them in the bus as well. Thinking quickly, Ash put her finger to her lips as a way of asking them to be quiet. They probably didn't know that They were attracted to noise. They'd have to be educated once the bus was moving...

Marley felt the bus stop a bit abruptly. She cursed when the jolt nearly caused her to stab herself. I really should close this, she thought. Stabbing it back into the ruined seat, she walked to the front of the bus, seeing what had stopped it. Indeed, two new survivors were standing outside. After casting a glare at Ash, she opened a window and looked down. She wondered if she could trust them, but if she didn't then that would make her a hypocrite, as very few people could trust her.

((anyone else notice that this RP has slowed way down?))

A loud 'BOOM' radiated from the back of the bus, the result leaving a hole the size of a football directly above where Kasper sat. He had been holding the shotgun he had found at an upward angle, studying it to make sure he knew how to use it properly when the time came.

As luck would have it, his hand was near the trigger when Ash slammed on the break, resulting in him inadvertently applying pressure to it releasing the shotgun pellet.

The sudden noise had starltled him and left him quite dazed. Not to mention, the recoil had caused the left part of his abdomen to hurt.

"WARN SOMEONE WILL YOU!" he shouted, as he tried to recover from the shock.

Anny noticed the halt of the bus. The doors opened, and a girl with chestnut brown hair exited out of the bus and cast the "quiet sign," a finger over one's lips. Anny learned the sign at school, it was a signal that the teacher gave when she wanted the class to be quiet. Anny also took pride in using the sign whenever it got too loud at school or at home; it was fun!

In response, Anny smiled and imitated the sign. She then turned to Sunny, her baby sitter, and whispered, "Shh...! We gotta be quiet!" Sunny nodded as her running slowed down to a fast walk. The two quickly tiptoed into the bus, and Sunny gave the chestnut girl a nod of thanks.

Anny pointed to the hole in the rear end of the bus. "Look! A hole!" she exclaimed, pointing at the football sized hole.

"Bite your tongue and bide your time if you want to go far." - The Journal of Ashley Baker

Ash decided to ignore Kasper's outrage and sigh quietly to herself in response. Once the two other refugees had boarded, Ash slammed the bus doors shut and accelerated evenly, though she did stabilize at a pretty fast clip. Keeping her eyes glued to the road, she saw carnage everywhere. Dead bodies piled up, some still being gnawed-on by some of Them. The brown-haired girl must have run over at least fifteen of Them as the group barreled down the abandoned streets. It was eerie how desolate and silent everything was, the once busy suburban town reduced to rubble and bodies, both of Them and human. The omens weren't good...

When they finally got out of the city, she looked up at the road signs periodically to check if she was actually headed towards the rural areas. Sure that she was, the girl kept her foot heavy on the pedal, passing everything at seemingly break-neck speeds. She had never driven so fast before, but she doubted anyone would mind. There were some people also driving, but none going as fast as she. They apparently didn't have her urgency. Not only did she have a slowly rotting body in the bus, but it was getting dark and they'd not stand a chance without sight...