Mousia

Overrun | IC Thread

Kasper stayed silent for the majority of this sequence, his recent behavior change since coming to deepridge meant he was not the type to approach others willingly, much less converse with them. Dealing with 1 was enough...

As Marley returned with the 'good' news, he made his way around to the other side of the bus, noticing the chick that had warned his class about this invasion; accompanied by another boy and a child.

He sighed every so slightly, besides the guys whom he had only just met and was too early to make an opinion off, this little group of theirs contained two members that would not exactly meet the requirements for being normal.

Dealing with Marley was tiring enough, he could only imagine how tiring being with the others would be.

Without introducing himself to the others, he readjusted the guitar case holding the various equipment he had acquired and made his way to the back of the bus. He rested his head against the window and continued to stare out into the school grounds.

They were finally going to be out of this hell hole.

"Generosity is supposed to be a good thing. But I don't think so. What's the point of letting on person in if that also means that a hundred of Them also come in? Then we all die for one person's sake and for our silly consciences." - The Journal of Ashley Baker

Ash shrugged. "Never said I would. Just said that I wouldn't think twice if you threw the rest of us under the metaphorical bus. There's a difference." She sat down in the driver's seat and set her spear and the wooden sword next to her, wedged in between the seat and the "wall" of the bus. Turning the key, she looked down through the bus doors and rested her hand on the lever that would close them. "Anyone else who wants to board had better do it quick, or I'm leaving you behind."

Some guy sat down near him and Liam looked over. He had his head leaned against the window, seemingly not wanting to talk to anyone. "Hey. Mister." The boy's voice was small with fear and pain. "Do you think my hand will be okay? I mean... Do you think we'll need to..." He gulped. Sure, people got hurt in the cartoons he watched, but it never seemed real. It was just funny. But it wasn't funny in real life. "Do you think we'll need to cut it off?" The boy was afraid that the young man would lash out at him and yell at him to be quiet, so he inched himself back in his seat, gripping the crowbar tight.

Edited by Mousia

Kasper didn't know how to respond to the kid, he was never good with them to begin with and that was before his behavior changed. He glanced down at the boys hand, then back at him.

"Look kid, I'm not a doctor.. so I can't say for sure what will happen to your hand... but I'm sure the police and the doctors will sort it out, once we get out of here..."

He turned and looked back out the window. He wondered how many; if there were any; survivors were still trapped in the school.

Roy looked on as the other group joined him and Ash, saying nothing but relaxing a tiny bit as they weren't Them. Just other survivors. He glanced over them briefly but wasn't inclined to think they were exactly friendly.

"I'm Roy, by the way," he commented to anyone who cared to hear him as he got on the bus. He sat in the front seat on the side of the door, putting his back to the window. He turned his head to look at Liam and the new guy who had been with Marley. A sudden wave of fear washed over him and he held the handle of his blade tighter. Roy had completely forgotten about his sister Marie when They had swarmed the school. He closed his eyes and fought off panic. She was at home at the bakery, hopefully in one place and safe. Roy focused on that thought, deciding that he needed to get to her as soon as he could. He prayed she was safe, that They hadn't spread farther than the school.

(Can't wait to see how they all react... 'Cause, in good form, we can't have the police and military fixing anything before it all falls to ruin... /shot for bad joke)

"Sometimes I feel like I should be crying but I can't manage the tears. Maybe I'm crying on the inside like and adult, but I miss the child in me who shed real tears. - The Journal of Liam Rendi

Liam nodded and looked down at his hand. Deep down, he knew it would be a stump soon. He'd be one-handed and lonely. And it was amazing how the human mind worked. How, even though he was only six, the tragedy and horror would soon make him an adult, silent with monsters haunting him at every corner. He'd be trapped and scared within his own mind. And the transition for that poor child happened in that bus seat. He wiped away his tears with his good hand and no more of them fell from his eyes. "I think... I think that I'll have to stop being scared now. I'll have to stop being a little boy and try to understand, even if it's sad to do that." Clenching his fist, the young boy looked down. "Mommy and daddy won't come to get me now. I have to do this all by myself..." All of this he said in a barely audible whisper. The only people who could have heard it were himself and his demons.

Edited by Mousia

"No promises," she laughed. Without waiting for a reply, she went off.

Being the person she was, she walked to the back in hopes of being alone. Well, that didn't turn out so good. "Wonderful, I can't even be alone," She rolled her eyes with discontent as she sat down. She took out her new found pocket knife and began stabbing the seat in front of her purely out of boredom. After awhile she heard a faint mumbling behind her. Turning around she found a young kid, most likely six or seven. She noticed his crumpled hand. "Look, if you shut up I'll give you this," she showed him a small needle of anesthesia, which would quickly numb the pain, if not put him to sleep entirely.

((sorry for shortness, I just got home))

(No worries. My posting's been sub-par lately anyways.)

"I think a lot of people underestimate the resolve of other human beings. I know for a fact that most people are at least a little cynical. It taints their entire view of the world. But from down here, I see the good in people, even if they don't want me to. And even though I know I have to rely on myself more than I want to, I know that other people aren't so bad either." - The Journal of Liam Rendi

Liam just nodded a little. "Thank you, ma'am," he mumbled quietly. The child knew that a lot of people would think he was annoying because of his age. And it was true. When he was a child, he had been jumpy and excitable. Everything was either amazing or awful. He was always either laughing, crying, or grumbling. But so much death in a short amount of time all around him made him shed that skin of false hopes and optimism that was unjustified. He knew he'd have to adapt rather quickly to survive, even with the protection of older people. Maybe that was his advantage, though. Maybe, because he could see the good in people that perhaps others couldn't, he knew who people were inside. He could see the pure person inside. The person who wasn't saddened by loss or angered by the ignorance of others. Cynicism, while an excellent wall, often times hindered people's perception. In good form, too, because most couldn't see through walls. Wouldn't that be silly? But Liam let the sun smile down on him and let the moon whisper tiny somethings into his ear while everyone else had stuffed cotton in them. It seemed that one grew blinder and deafer as the years passed. A sad fact, the boy reflected. But then he thought of his parents and he bit the inside of his lip to hold the tears back. Damn feelings! The only things that tied him to childhood. And a strange sensation began to set in. It was like his heart was pierced by a thousand knives. An intense sadness embodied by pain. The revelation mildly concerned him, but yet it made him curious. No tears sprung to his eyes. He couldn't force out a single one. Yet the pain inside was far more intense. It was like dying ever-so-slowly. Like being disemboweled. It reminded him faintly of Prometheus. He gave humans fire and was punished by being eternally chained to a cliff to have his inside eaten by a vulture daily. But, because he was a god, he couldn't die, so there was just pain. Perhaps that was a metaphor for the sadness he felt. An intense pain that never truly died, but not being able to do anything but endure it. What a cruel world.

(Sorry for the lack of posts, I'm more active at night, much later than you guys seem to be, and I work the early hours. I'm tryin.)

Daniel groaned as called, loudly, across the buses. He followed Kasper into the bus, watching as he sat back towards a small boy. He heard the small boy talk about his hand, and frowned. Turning to the girl in drivers seat, he asked, "Is that your brother? Regardless do you mind if I... help him a bit? I hurt my hand pretty bad when I was a kid, and I know a few tip to make it feel better. What happened exactly?" as he grabbed the standard first aid kit from the front of the bus. Then he noted the attractiveness of the woman in front of him, and gave her a once over quickly, simling with every ounce of charm he had. "As for introductions, I'm Austin, nice to meet you..." He finished, obviously asking for her name. He shifted the first aid kit's handle and the knife from his right hand to his left, along with his cleaver, and stuck his hand out for a shake. "Wish it was under different conditions."

"I think the most fear comes from the realization that humans are a small part of things and don't really matter. I mean, the universe is huge and you can barely see our galaxy when you look at the observed universe. And that's not even the whole thing! So yeah. One life. One death. Does it make a substantial difference? No." - The Journal of Ashley Baker

Ash looked up at Daniel. "Nah. I found him when I was escaping. Some teacher stepped on his hand and broke it pretty bad. I couldn't just leave him like that to die, you know? I'm a bad person, but not that bad of one." Pulling the lever to close the bus doors, she looked ahead and set her hands on the wheel firmly. Ten and two. "I'm Ash. I'd love to shake hands, but we've not got time to waste, you know?" And with that, she put the pedal to the metal, jerking the bus forward and heading right towards the already-opened gate. Sure, she'd ran over some people (including the teacher that had left Liam's hand mangled), but she didn't really care. Bursting through the streets, she sighed. Driving wasn't her favorite thing to do and she'd never driven a bus before, but there was a first time for everything. "Sorry for the jerk. Just figured that we should get out of there fast. Where to first?" Looking out the windshield, she saw helicopters flying overhead. Okay. So it was widespread. But they didn't seem to be heading anywhere near any civilian. Damn. Stupid government goons and their greed. Only looked after themselves, even though everyone was dying. But what did she care? People, in the end, were just insignificant beings in the grand scheme of things.

Daniel cried out as Ash slammed on the gas, his feet getting jerking out from under him. He stumbled forward, his cleaver and knife slicing into a seat back, the knife poking through the other side. He growled, throwing a look over his shoulder at the girl, then pulled his items from the chair. He cautiously approached the boy with a broken hand, and sat next to him, careful not to jar his hand. He tucked his weapons under his rear, and looked at the boy. "Do you mind if I take a look at your hand? I might be able to jimmy rig something... it might hurt a lot and it won't be very comfortable, but it should help your hand heal a bit." He said softly, motioning to the first aid kit in his hand. He looked at Marley, his face very serious. "You said that should numb him right? Might help him get through this a bit better."

Roy was no more prepared for the sudden movement than Daniel, but at least he was only slammed against the back of his seat and his weapons didn't go flying. He coughed slightly and looked at Ash through the rearview mirror, but he had to agree with her. He shifted to face the front, wedging his metal bar between the seat and the wall of the bus before leaning forward and crossing his arms on the barrier in front of him. "My father runs a bakery off of Main Street," he said. "We could try getting there, stock up on food and supplies. If They haven't reached it." Roy didn't know, but he hoped They didn't like bread and sweets. He sighed inwardly. If his family was there, then Marie was, but so was his father. He half hoped they weren't so Roy wouldn't have to deal with the man. Either way, they had good chances to get things they needed from there. "We'd be able to get enough food to last us a while at least," he added.

Marley was taken by the sudden jerk. Hanging on to her seat, she turned and replied "Yeah. I wouldn't be surprised if he fell asleep, though. He's pretty young, and if his hand wasn't a mangled wreak I wouldn't suggest using it. But sadly, this isn't a perfect world. If anyone knows that, it's me," she listlessly, if not a bit sadly, looked out the window. "Look around us. People are dying, the ones who lived don't care, and we're all in the middle of it, taking shelter in a damned bus. But we can't all be heroes. Sometimes you have to wait out the wrath of the Dragon, instead of confronting it."

Austin perked, physically straightening up in a way that may have shocked Liam, up at the mention of food. "Yes yes that should be a thing that happens. Bakery's are delicious and full of carbs, which mean energy and such. Does it have a deli too? We need protein as well if we're gonna last long. Especially this little guy." He requested, excitedly and with a little too much enthusiasm and happiness then the situation called for. He turned back to Marley, spreading a palm in request for the syringe. "If we lower the dosage, it shouldn't effect him as badly. It may also not numb all the pain, but it's better than nothing. Where do I inject him, if your okay with that Liam." He turned to the boy, a soft smile on his face, before turning back to Marley. "As for the others, this could be the end of the world. It's not quite zombies but... well it's darn close. If this is world wide, it better to find something to hold onto. People will only act to protect who and what they care about. I don't care what the government does, there will be anarchy if this spreads much further. From what I've seen they don't reproduce sexually, no organs for that, so it may just be a matter of hunting them down one by one, but I doubt that. We buckle down, group up, and protect what we can. We're on our own now and if we expect other people to not tear us down to bring them up we very well might get stabbed in the back."

"I believe in miracles. Maybe not the kind we were asking for, but always the kind we needed." - The Journal of Liam Rendi

Liam looked up at the attention. "Oh, well... If you're going to try and fix it you can, but I don't think you can make it work again. See..." He ground his teeth together and commanded a few fingers to move, but they didn't obey him. "Can't move some of them. Maybe if we were in a hospital they'd fix it, but..." He shrugged. "Maybe we should try it, though... In case it does end up working."

Ash, meanwhile, was navigating to Main Street. There was quite a bit of campus and residential area surrounding OPS. Although it was pretty to look at and a dream for banks and others who profited from home sales, they just didn't have the time to sight-see. Main Street was nearer to the center of town, where there were fewer homes and a more commercial scene. When they reached the only bakery in that area, Ash eased into a stop much more fluid than their start. "Roy. Grab whatever weapons you have and go quickly. If you're not out in ten minutes, we're leaving without you." Her tone was authoritative and stern and she almost recoiled at its finality. Her own reality made her question herself. No. That wasn't good. She had to find something concrete. Something solid. Like pain. Or anger. Or both of those things. Oh right. Mom...

Daniel nodded at the boy, withdrawing the requesting hand from Marley. Opening the first aid kit, he broke off the lid, then turned to an empty seat around him. Placing the lid down, he chopped out the square front, then looked at the boys hand. Judging a rough size, he carved out two oval shaped pieces of plastic about the size of the boys hand. He moved back to the seat Liam was sitting on, and gave the boy a kind look. "I need to set the bones. I'm no doctor, so this may hurt a bit and may set a bit wrong, but I'll do my best." He said softly, taking the boys hand. He felt around in the swelling, judging the broken bones carefully. The muscles would have kept them mostly in position, just maybe a bit angled. He pulled quickly on the palm right below the knuckles of each of the bones the boy hadn't been able to move, letting the bones slip back into place, then took the plastic pieces and sandwiched the boys hand in them.

Holding the pieces in place with one hand, he pulled the medical tape from the other half of the first aid kit, ripped two pieces off with his teeth, and set the pieces together around his hand slightly tightly. "These will help keep you from shifting the bones to much." He explained as he pulled the gauze, starting midway down the boys forearm. He slowly wrapped up the boys arm, tightening it as he went. When he reached the boys hand he trapped all of the fingers beneath the ovals, his hand flat. Pinching the end of the gauze he pulled more tape with his teeth, taping the gauze to its position. "There. That should help, a bit. If we meet someone a bit more... qualified, and the bones haven't set just yet, we can have them reset it."

(In retrospect I have no idea id this would work, but hell it's worth a shot.)

Kasper had kept quiet at the suggestion of heading towards the bakery, since none of the others had voiced an opposing opinion, he opted to stay quiet. Personally, food was the last thing on his mind right now and logically heading to either a police station or a hospital would have been the best options.

If this pandemic had spread outside and the hospitals and police stations were overrun, there was still the opportunity to stock up on weapons; long ranged weapons. The hospital would have had medical supplies... supplies that could soon be depleted if any other survivors were smart enough to head there first. There was also the injured boy, no doubt he would have preferred proper medical attention and/or pain medication rather then a tasty sausage roll.

Each of those places in all likelihood would have had vending machines that they could have used to stock up on drinks and food, at least for the night, as far as he knew a bakery would not contain an arsenal of guns or a variety of medical supplies.

But of course he was not going to say this now... not when he was outnumbered by those that wished to satisfy some trivial hunger. He sighed once again and continued to look out the window as they arrived at the bakery.

'This is stupid... " he muttered inwardly, blowing upwards as a tuff of hair drooped over his eyes.

Marley watched as Liam's hand was fixed up. There was no need for her anymore, so she slunk back into her seat. She began jabbing the now ruined seat some more, finding nothing better to do.

Looking over at whatshisname ((Kasper)) and decided talking might ease the situation. She was blunt and annoying, but she was actually quite philosophical. "You know what's weird? Normal. When you sit down and think about it, you realize that it doesn't exist, because everyone is different. No, not special, but at least different."

((The result of posting at 8 in the morning during the Summer is a post so short it hurts))

"Huh?" replied Kasper, caught off guard by Marleys sudden and out of the blue rambling. After a few seconds of confusion and comprehending what exactly she was on about he replied,

"Isn't 'normal' just a generalization of an experience that each of us experience on a repetitive basis and expects to see the next day... such as the sky being blue.." he replied. He had no idea exactly what had driven her to start talking about such a thing at this time.

She shrugged. "Who knows. I don't. I guess everyone has their own definition." she looked down at her pale hand with a half-smile. "Sometime people just have a more drastic difference in definition. Maybe it's not fair, but it's true. Look at Them: if They really had a choice, do you think They would choose what they have? I could be wrong. Or not. Who knows,"

(( Sorry my posts are crap haven't been great. I've been on a long break and I'm trying to get back into roleplaying again. xP ))

Roy glanced back at Austin. “It’s limited, but yeah, there should be some sandwiches at least.” He stared at the landscape passing by with a blank face until they stopped at the bakery. He gave Ash a brief nod, picked up his weapons, and stepped off. He didn't waste time, hurrying quickly to the door and slipping inside. Three things bugged him: the door wasn’t closed all the way, the lights weren’t on, and it was silent inside other than the sputtering of a fire in the back room. For a week day, this was definitely not normal. Roy was silent as he quickly swept the building from front to back, but it was empty of people and Them alike. Why was no one here? He stabbed his blade into a wall with frustration. If Marie wasn’t here, he couldn’t keep her safe like he always had. He had no idea where she could be, or what even was going on anymore. Roy truly realized in that moment that the pointless world he’d known when he started the day was gone. Now the point was to survive, and if he was lucky, find his little sister. He didn’t care either way if it was the fault of Them or just his father’s stupidity that the house was empty. Neither would affect him.

Roy pushed thoughts away and snapped up an old school bag of his from one of the back rooms and began to throw things inside. A few loaves of bread, rolls, anything he thought would be good while avoiding sticky and sugary things that would get all over. He took the individually wrapped deli sandwiches from the fridge and some bottled water, then added the first-aid kit from the kitchen. Figuring he’d grab a few knives while the situation presented them, he added those to his backpack and left his life behind at the door.

Roy climbed onto the bus and put the old school bag in the seat behind him, tossing the first-aid kit to the back. “There’s probably painkillers in there if he needs them,” he said, meaning Liam. Wedging his pole again between the seat and the wall, he laid down in his original seat and covered his face with his arms. “There’s no point in lingering around here,” he mumbled, trying to push away anger. What it was toward, he wasn’t sure. It didn't matter.

((Hehe, compared to me, your posts are god-like *is not good at RPing* I am also on a phone, so this will be extra terrible))

Marley had been thinking about what she had said. After a couple minutes, she heard someone come back in. Wondering if they had found anything interesting, she walked up to the front. "What's wrong? Lose something important?"

(Don't degrade yourself. There is always room for improvement, but everybody has a specific style that no one else will ever be able to recreate exactly. Ever.)

"It is my firm belief that nothing humans could ever say, do, or create is actually important to other humans unless there are things to be gained. If I jump on three PM this Thursday, people in the same room will not care. If I am sad at midnight on Saturday, telling people is to no avail. No one cares." - The Journal of Ashley Baker

Ash ignored the conversation and got to a start again. "I'm going to my house for a second," she mumbled. It wasn't a long way, but she was trying to drive a tiny bit slower to look at the helicopters flying above. Damn them... Not even trying to help. She gripped the steering wheel firmly in her rage. When she rolled up in front of her house, she opened the doors and stood up, grabbing her spear and the wooden swords. "I won't take long," she announced to the other people on the bus. Flying down the stairs, she unlocked the front door and saw a bunch of Their carcasses, as well as her mother. The woman wasn't in the best shape to say the least. Her body was bleeding heavily and there were scratches and bite marks all over her. Ash made quick work of grabbing the real sword on the mantle and discarding the practice sword. Tucking the real weapon into her belt, the eighteen-year-old grabbed her mother and hauled her onto her own back. Ash carried her wounded mother back to the bus (although her wounds weren't so bad, her mind wasn't all there). All the while she whispered, "It'll be okay, Mom. I promise..." When she boarded the bus again, she set the woman down on an empty set of seats and took the wheel again. "Where's the next stop? Police station? Hospital? Out of town? What?"

(Ash's mom is gonna die of her wounds, which will reveal to them that They are poisonous. Maybe. wink.gif)

Kasper watched as Marley walked off, still not completely understanding her philosophical statements. Such things would ordinarily never concern Kasper, let alone warrant him to spend more then a couple of seconds thinking about, before losing interest, but given their predicament, anything to take his mind off all the bloodshed would do for now.

Their next destination after the bakery did not help to lighten Kasper's mood. He uunderstood Ash's reason for going to her house, heck everyone on this bus probably wanted to see their loved ones... but if word spread about the attack on the school, their parents would have likely gone to the cops for help... and even if this pandemic had spread out and their parents were attacked, there was only two outcomes.

1. Their parents were attacked, they fought back and are on their way to find this children or get assistance from the police / army.

2. They were attacked, injured or killed.

None of those outcomes were favorable and would just lead to more heartbreak, it would also lead to potential conflict.. if they went to one house.. they would have to go to every ones houses... Kasper gritted his teeth getting more and more annoyed. He only managed a glance as Ash left the bus.

He was proven correct when Ash returned, whilst not the worst case scenario, her mother did not look to be in the best of shape and the fact that she survived would only strengthen the others desire to see their loved ones. As Ash asked her question, Kasper could no longer contain himself. First off, she had the audacity to just brush aside the idea of checking every ones house, something that may not bode well with the others.

"The hospital or the police station should have been the first stop!" spoke Kasper, finally voicing his opinion. "Don't you think being under the protection of trained professionals or under the supervision of medical experts would be a better option then just driving around town?" Kasper stood up from his spot.

"Worst case scenario, the police station and hospital are in the same state the school is in, there would still be vital essentials to be gathered. Guns, knives, emergency phones and god knows what else from the police station.... proper medication from the hospitals... things vital for our survival... more vital then some pastries that will satisfy our hunger for a day..." Kasper clenched his fist. "I doubt we are the only survivors... and if that is the case, I'm sure many of them would have gone to places of importance and looted everything required for survival... by now there may not even be anything of use left..."

Kasper sat back down and kicked the chair in front before crossing his arms. "A sandwich isn't going to protect us from one of those things.." he muttered.

Edited by TotallyDrow

"People are different. That's often something I forget." - The Journal of Ashley Baker

"Listen, you jerk. Some people value their families and other people. You might have an ice cold heart, but maybe if you let people in for once, you'd see that the world doesn't revolve around you and that you're an insignificant piece of trash whose only hope of being a not-so-bad piece of trash is to help other people on occasion and see something besides yourself. So shut your ****ty mouth and think about other people's feelings, because morale is just as important to survival as weapons or medical supplies. If everyone loses the hope to go on, then all the supplies we gathered are for not. Understand? Ah, hell. I don't care if you understand. You're just an ass." But she high-tailed it to the police station anyway, because that was closer than the hospital, though not by far. "Besides, we've already got medical supplies and weapons if they're already looted. Plus, I got a weapon from my house, which was part of the reason I stopped there." Wringing the steering wheel in her anger, Ash was surprised when a light tap came at the back of her seat. Her mother's voice was a strained rasp. "Ashley... I want you to... Relax... Please stop fighting. I just want you to be happy..."

"Shut up, Mom. Don't talk like you're about to die."

"But I am, honey. I just... I just want to die with you. I want to be looking at your face when I die..."

A little tear escaped her eye. "I said to stop talking like that, Mom. There's no reason to. Once we stop, I'll patch you up and you'll be fine."

"You're optimistic for once..."

The nerve of the girl, she was no better then he was... in fact, you could argue that her actions were far worse then what he had said earlier.

"Funny you say that... yet your question earlier did not provide any of us with the option to see our parents... if I recall, your exact words were Where's the next stop? Police station? Hospital? Out of town? What?. If you really cared about keeping our morale up, you would have asked whose house are we going to go to next... but rather then doing so, you opt to follow the same idea that I had in suggesting the police station or hospital... Is that because you got what you want? is it? Don't go censorkip.gif*** about me being an ass when your no better yourself... likewise if 'morale' was your top priority, then planning out the fastest route that accommodated each of our houses would have been the best idea... nor arbitrarily deciding to go to your place first, even if it wasn't the closest location to the dam bakery"

While Kasper was not really the social type and he was harboring ill feelings towards his father, he still wanted to see them, to make sure that they were safe, but that was a selfish desire and one that would only benefit himself and not the others. "You think I don't want to see my parents?!" he shouted, "of course I censorkip.gif*** do! but I;m not going to put my wants over the main issue now which is survival, I'm not some cold heartless censorkip.gif*** that seeks to satisfy my wants and not give a c*** about everyone else!" kasper clenched his fist and punched the window, cracking it. "You have no right to stand there and judge me, when your no better yourself!"

Edited by TotallyDrow