Jump to content
Mousia

Overrun | IC Thread

Recommended Posts

She walked down the hall carefully, moving with much more grace then you'd think she would. It was one of those really long hallways, were the only way you could tell doors apart was by their numbers. It felt much longer than it was, though. After what felt like years, they came to a slightly wider door with no windows.

 

"This is it. I'll stay out here and keep guard, but don't think I won't leave if you take too long," she said impatiently "I don't want to come face-to-face with a hoard of Them," She took out her pocket knife, opening it in the event that that did happen.

Share this post


Link to post

Kasper nodded before entering the room, he turned the light on; a simple lightbulb hanging down from a wire and began to search.

 

Throughout the search, he found a couple items that would come in handy; a lighter and a long metal gate chain. He quickly unzipped the top of the guitar case and placed the chain inside, the lighter was placed in his pocket for now.He resumed the search for the extension cord.

 

 

"Found it" he called out, unwinding part of the cord. "We will use that room" he pointed across the hall. "We can leave the boombox in there and plug this end of the extension cord in a socket from another room. if everything goes according to plan, we can sneak down the stairs while the noise from the boom box attracts them"

 

Kasper handed the extension cord to Marley before returning into the janitor room. "I also found this." He pulled out an open box with dozens of unused light bulbs inside. "I figured we could throw them and the sound of the glass shattering would distract them.. you know... if we came across some of them elsewhere..."

Share this post


Link to post

"Alright," she said, taking the cord. She walked into the other room, seeing a few dead bodies left strewn about. She smiled and half laughed to herself "You snooze you lose," she said.

 

It didn't take long before she found a small outlet in the wall. Plugging it in, she searched around in some of the desks. She found a cellphone, but that was it, and even then it was low on battery. After some more pointless searching, she walked back out into the hall.

 

"Hey, I found this, in case you don't have one," she said, showing him the phone "Also, I found an outlet, so we should be set. Anything important you want to get before we leave?"

Share this post


Link to post

Daniel looked across the parking lot at the kids streaming from the doors and heading to the gates, followed by hordes of The Things. He waited till one of the hordes passed, then slipped by them quietly. He took note that they followed the smaller, louder prey more than those that broke off and found places to hide, which was odd to him. Most predators would peel off and chase the lone target rather than the group... As he neared the buses he didn't see many people, but he did see one of the drivers scrambling to get into his bus. His hands were shaking, hard, causing the keys to jingle loudly, and there was a good amount of muttering coming from him. Daniel didn't say a word.

 

Daniel really didn't want to. From his vantage point by the hood of the next bus over, he could see one of Them sniffing around the corner, attracted by the noise of the keys. As it rounded the end of bus, the man caught the movement and turned. He slipped the keys into his pocket, screaming, "WHAT IS THESE THINGS" and backing away. The noise sent It into a frenzy, and within minutes the man was devoured, nothing left than a few scraps. Daniel cursed silently, as he had been hoping to get the keys from the man, but now they were in the beasts belly. He gripped his handle, hoping to slay the beast and rip It's innards out to get the keys, but the beast did something. Sitting on it's haunches, it scratched at it's bubbly boils, and before long, one had fallen off, plopping on to the ground. Daniel was so confused, he couldn't act before the beast sprinted off, sensing another meal. What... what the hell was that...

Share this post


Link to post

Kasper stared down at the pink hand phone with a bunny strap. "I'll pass.." he replied, not giving the phone a second glance. "Anyway, I've placed the boombox in a room around the corner, it was as far as the extension cable would let me go.."

 

Kasper peered outside and glanced down the corridor in both directions, "Once we turn it on, swarms of those creatures are likely to come here... but the sound should mask any noise we make... I'm telling you now, if you fall or whatever, I am not gonna be there to help you back up... survival of the fittest y'know.."

 

He glanced out once again, "If your ready, flip the outlet on.." he gripped the guitar tighter and readied himself for a sprint.

Share this post


Link to post

Marley put the phone back in her pocket "This doesn't feel like a time to be picky, but whatever. No one said I loved it either, but again, whatever," she said.

 

She put her hand on the switch, a little bit skeptical if this would work, but turned it anyways. Almost immediately the halls were louder than any sane person would want. She dashed down the hall, not even looking back to see if the kid was keeping up. A few of Them ran past her, but They were clearly more interested in whatever was making that loud sound. Soon she found a back door, and to her luck, it led to the bus lot. She had to stop and take a break after coming outside because the shift from artificial light to sunlight was almost too much to bear.

 

"You still back there?" she asked, turning around.

Share this post


Link to post

Roy closed his eyes, took a few breaths, and picked himself up from the wall. He walked cautiously to the side of a bus with his switchblade open and ready. He froze when he glimpsed another group of Them nearby. He cursed under his breath as they turned his direction. There were probably seven of them; he didn't stand a chance if they sensed him. Roy crouched, ready to climb underneath a bus, but they turned away as quick as they had come. He stared on as they feverously ran toward the school, completely ignoring the people nearby as they did. What are they trying to get at? he wondered. Roy frowned and turned to scan the buses again, hoping to find either someone who had keys or someone who knew how to hotwire. He fell under neither of those categories.

Share this post


Link to post

Kasper was following Marley, occasionally jumping out of the way of an approaching creature, lured in by the sound of the boombox. Along the way he had seen more than a dozen partially consumed corpses littered around the building.

 

"Yeah.. I'm right here.." he replied, as he scanned around the place. They were now outside of the building and compared to the loud booming music being played within the school, it was eerily quiet.

 

"Hey... don't you think its weird... why aren't there any police sirens?.. or gun shots?.. surely the police would have been alerted to this?'

 

 

Share this post


Link to post

"Maybe They just haven't spread far enough," she suggested "And no one believes the survivors. I don't know, you tell me,"

 

Marley scanned the area, just to make sure none of Them had loitered around. What she did see was a bit of a surprise.

 

"Hey, look, another survivor. What do you to do? I kind of want to take his stuff and leave," she said smiling "No matter what we do though, he's still another survivor. We probably shouldn't ignore him."

Share this post


Link to post

Ash turned her head to look along the side of the bus and then a guy with a switchblade appeared in her line of vision. "Hey!" she whispered. The noise had apparently startled Liam from his light nap, as he looked up with drool leaking from his mouth. Rubbing it away lazily, the boy was limp like a dead fish as Ash stood up and approached. A rather large group of Them that neither of the pair had noticed before scurried off toward an unfortunately loud teacher scrambling around the school. "I've got the master keys. There should be bus keys there too." Sliding the makeshift club into her belt, she unhook the keys from her beltloop and looked at the bus number on the key. "Bus five... We need to get to bus five. Let's go. We can talk once we've got locked doors and soundproofing from being inside and away from Them." She turned and found bus five, opening the doors and setting Liam down. "Find a seat near the back and don't make a sound." She gave the boy her crowbar and stood at the door to make sure that none of Them made it inside.

Share this post


Link to post

Roy looked up, surprised, as Ash came up. He hadn't thought that some people already could have made their way out here. He simply nodded and trailed after her, looking out for Them if they came their way. Roy glanced at the kid as he scurried into the bus. "Where'd you find him?" he whispered, leaning against the side of the bus.

Share this post


Link to post

"But still... they should have sent a patrol car to monitor the spot... I doubt a survivor would have made it there without blood on their clothes.." he muttered. He wasn't liking this at all.

 

Kasper was taken aback Marley's comments, what was stopping her from backstabbing him and taking his stuff? he noted down her comment and made sure to keep an extra sharp eye on her. There was hardly anything about her that he could trust.

 

"Of course we should go to him... strength in numbers.."

Share this post


Link to post

Marley walked around before finding the bus ((Daniel)) was standing by. Looking up into the bus she noticed the remains of a corpse. Sucks to be you, she thought to herself.

 

"Hey," she barked "I see you survived too. We just got out. Enough stating the obvious, though. I'm Marley, and this is whatshisname," she said, gesturing the the kid who never told her his name "What about you, what's your name?"

Share this post


Link to post

Ash shrugged at Roy's question. "Some censorkip.gif*** stepped on his hand and ruined it, so I felt bad for him. Found him in school." She almost elaborated, but then thought better of it.

Meanwhile, Liam held the crowbar in his right hand, scared of using it. The thing was really heavy and the rust made it rough against his soft hand. Finding none of Them, the boy sat down in the very back seat and set the crowbar down next to him. Looking down at his shattered hand, he cringed. It still burned and it didn't look right at all. He could tell that the bones at led to each of his fingers was broken. Everything was red and inflamed and the sight brought tears to his eyes. "Mommy," he whispered with tears in his eyes. "Mommy, I'm really scared. I don't want to be here..."

 

(My brain hates me...)

Edited by Mousia

Share this post


Link to post

(Sweetie that was Roy not Dan xd.png. Kasper, Marley, and Dan are still a couple buses down.)

 

(Are these creatures completely blind or just mostly and rely heavily on hearing/smell?)

 

 

 

Daniel flinched a bit as Marley had bust through the doors behind him, the sound of the boombox echoing through the halls. He put his fingers to his lips, waving the duo over. He was rather pissed, he had been watching the Thing that had the keys, but lost it in the surprise. "My name's Daniel, I WAS just tracking the jack ass that ate this guy, including the keys to this bus. I lost it when you slammed through those doors. any other bright idea? Either of you know how to hot wire a damned bus?" He knew a bit about regular cars, but the engines of buses were different. Mostly made by a company called International and Desiel, not regular unleaded. The wiring was set up different, and it'd be like asking a Ford mechanic to fix a European car.

Edited by DrakeOfBones

Share this post


Link to post

(They're all the way blind. You know how they say "blind as a bat"? Well, bats aren't blind, they just don't have very good vision. It's not like that. Totally blind, never saw a thing. Ever. Which makes their other sense really keen in compensation. *cough*Equivalent exchange*cough*.)

Share this post


Link to post

(Okay, good to know. Like how sensitive is their hearing? Like hear shallow breathing across the room, hearts beating through walls or what?)

Share this post


Link to post

(There's such a thing as a room that is so well sound-insulated that it's completely silent. After a few minutes in there, most humans can hear the sounds of their own bodily functions. They can hear their own hearts beating and their stomach acid working away at food. A little bit duller than that would be my guess. Humans have relatively bad smell and hearing, but really good eyesight, so I'm guessing, with those factors, it'd be around there. But I'm no biologist, so I wouldn't know for certain.)

Share this post


Link to post

((That's nice to know, thanks Mousie))

 

"No. And we shouldn't even use this one, or at least use it now. Wasn't there a field trip scheduled today? We should go find that bus, since there's most likely food in it, and if we're lucky, the keys." she didn't know if They had found any other food sources yet, but she wasn't taking any chances. There was no way in hell she was going to starve because some kid didn't want to check the area. At least he told her his name, though.

 

"Look, you do whatever you want, but I'm not going to take the risk. If I'm right, there should be plenty of food to last us until we find more, but whether you come with me or not is up to you,"

Share this post


Link to post

Daniel gave her a look. Faving his cleaver and knife up and down his body, indicating his chef's coat, he exclaimed, "Do I look like I go here? And if there IS a field trip the bus would be parked in the front entrance, not over here, and the food would be in the building with either the kids or teachers that brought it. Trust me I just graduated from here a couple years ago," in a hushed tone. "If we want food the only for sure bet is the cafeteria, but that's going to be SWARMING with these things, more likely than not. Daniel ducked down more, looking under the buses for any of Them. He saw a pair of feet a few buses down, and pointed at them, motioning for the two to look.

 

(He's pointing at Ash or Roy)

Edited by DrakeOfBones

Share this post


Link to post

Roy nodded. Poor kid. He turned and opened compartments on the side of the bus to see if there was anything they could use inside. "What do you suggest we do now? Wait for other survivors?" He shoved bins aside and pulled a hose out of one compartment, but shook his head and put it back in. He searched the next and found a gas can with two gallons inside along with some empty cans. "Well, there's this," he muttered, shaking the container.

 

Roy glanced around again for signs of Them and heard shuffling. "Hey," he muttered to Ash, moving closer to the door. He motioned in the general direction of the noise, opening his switchblade and flipping it in his hand, holding the rod in his right to his side. He wasn't sure if it was Them or other survivors.

Share this post


Link to post

"They look pretty human to me. Just in case, though, I think I'll go check it out. If, their not survivors, and it's more of Them, I won't hesitate to kill. I want these censorkip.gif*** dead. I'm fine whether you stay or come, but if you don't then your tiny group is minus one member," she said impatiently.

 

Slowly walking around, she made sure that no sound was made. Peeking around the edge, she noticed some people. Real people, not Them. She came around fully and looked into the bus (without letting her guard down). "Hello, I noticed that you managed to be smart enough to not get yourselves killed," She laughed a little to herself.

Share this post


Link to post

"On occasion, people need to realize that there's no way to know anyone else's true intentions. People need to put aside their pride and trust each other if anything is to move forward." - The Journal of Ashley Baker

 

Ash narrowed her eyes, deciding to take a step back into the bus. She took out her spear and saw a really pale lady. Albino? Anyway, she seemed to have no censor to her sharp tongue. "Yeah, guess so. You too, huh? If you're gonna get on, get on. Just know that I have no problem killing any of you." Most people would probably consider it an empty threat, but she really would not shed a single tear or lose a single moment of sleep over it. If it was for her own survival or her mother's, everyone else could go censorkip.gif themselves. "I've got the keys to this bus, so I can drive it if anyone wants. We just all need to figure out where we're going first. You get me?" She raised her eyes in a slight challenge, but put her spear in her belt. "What's your name, stranger? It'd be nice if I could call you something that was meaningful."

Share this post


Link to post

"You can call me Marley. And kill me? Look, you can have as much fun as you want with the rest of these idiots, but I won't go down so easy, and I can give you my word on that. Anyways," she said, looking a little further into the bus "You say you have keys? I know someone that will be excited to hear that," she muttered. "Alright, just gimme a sec,"

 

She came back to the others "Yup, they're human. Even more so, they have keys. You should probably come, but I guess it's your funeral."

Share this post


Link to post

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.