Soulking

Potatoes

So, Americans don't use the term "crisps"?

Well, I'm American and I haven't heard it used very often. smile.gif

I think I learned a few days back that Sweet Potatoes are used in a lot of public gardens because of the pretty leaves that grow from them. Around here, they're EVERYWHERE at nearly every building.

Same, I've only heard the word used once. It's not really natural for most Americans it seems I guess. o.llo No clue. Just assuming here.

Strange how I heard or encounter that word averagely. I'm from the Philippines. And we follow the American standards. tongue.gif I guess we're a bit of a mix culture.

Oh, I would like to post here. In Chinese Fukkien, the word for peanut is 土豆 (read as to dao) but in Mandarin, which is the general language in China, that same word is read as tu dou, and it means potato. ohmy.gif

user posted imageuser posted imageuser posted imageuser posted imageuser posted image

biggrin.gif Ah, I see. So it has to do with the culture. Thanks! I think this basically summarises it. *after a while* huh.gif So, Americans don't use the term "crisps"?

No, not crisps, but let me clarify something a bit more. In America, potato "chips" would mean very thinly sliced rounds of potatoes that have then been fried. These are usually a commercial product that are sold in various sized bags in the supermarket. People usually eat them for snacks.

There is another term you will run into frequently and that is what we call "home fries." These are either sliced more thickly, diced, or shredded potatoes that are often mixed with onions and cooked until browned in a frying pan at home or in a restaurant. They are most often served at breakfast with eggs and ham, bacon, sausage or sometimes steak. They're very tasty. biggrin.gif

Edited by Stormcaller

The same goes for in Canada. But then again, Canada and USA are pretty similar...

I've never had "home fries" before, though. Usually, we have them in wedges with ketchup.

Has anyone ever had honey fried potato wedges?

Honey fried potato wedges? Never even heard of them...

Though in China we have 红烧肉和土豆 or something like that since I don't know the actual name of the dish. Apparently it translates to Pork and Potatoes, but that doesn't make sense to me.

user posted imageuser posted imageuser posted imageuser posted imageuser posted image

> biggrin.gif Ah, I see. So it has to do with the culture. Thanks! I think this basically summarises it. *after a while* huh.gif So, Americans don't use the term "crisps"?

I'm about as American as they come, and crisps does show up as another name for some thin and lightly crunchy crackers or cookies.

*goes hunt for one of Grandma's recipes*

Crisp Rolled oat cookies is the name on the card, but I remember them being called Crisps or Crispies when we were kids.

And then there are Rice Crispies, the breakfast cereal that can be turned into various snacks.

They usually have nothing to do with potatoes.

No, not crisps, but let me clarify something a bit more. In America, potato "chips" would mean very thinly sliced rounds of potatoes that have then been fried. These are usually a commercial product that are sold in various sized bags in the supermarket. People usually eat them for snacks.

There is another term you will run into frequently and that is what we call "home fries." These are either sliced more thickly, diced, or shredded potatoes that are often mixed with onions and cooked until browned in a frying pan at home or in a restaurant. They are most often served at breakfast with eggs and ham, bacon, sausage or sometimes steak. They're very tasty. biggrin.gif

OOH it's you innit... mwahahaha I recognise the avvie.

Excuse me, off topic.

My favourite potato is a Sock xd.png

But I love all sorts - with the possible exception of hash browns - they are so rarely done well. Chips (fries) from an English chippie are VERY good - had some for lunch just yesterday - with salt and malt vinegar. None of that crispy nonsense. That's for McD's.

Ah, potatoes. Possibly one of the greatest food on earth.

I like my potates mashed and mixed with some butter, then dipped in flour, egg and bread crumbs and then deep fried. Mmmmm.

One of? It's THE greatest food on earth! Just kidding. We're all entitled to our own opinions.

I've never heard of preparing them like that. Maybe I'll give it a try. It sounds pretty good.

Um..@george..I'm sure..I'm sure there is a reason for that one..I prefer potato patties..

Is that like hash brown? Or something?

I love potatoes. I enjoy them baked, mashed, and fried, but not raw. They're really good in soup, too. I like them as fries, chips, and even hashbrowns. Hashbrown patties are even more delicious. c: I like mixing up eggs, diced onion and bell peppers, bacon or sausage, cheese, and hashbrowns together for meals.

Fries are amazing. I really like the wedges, which I consider a type of fry. There are also "waffle fries" that are fries with a waffle pattern thing. And then there are these "fries" that are shaped like smiley faces! When I was a kid I liked eating them with ketchup so they looked bloody. :Y Morbid.

I really like those small red potatoes. I forgot what they're called, but they're rather spherical. Usually we cut them in half, add a bit of seasoning to them, and bake them in the oven. c:

Sweet potatoes are pretty delicious, too. I don't really like the candied ones, or whatever, where you have marshmallows and I think pecans in them. I usually just like them with some butter. Also there's this really cool recipe where for Thanksgiving we had these "half and half" baked potatoes, where you have regular potatoes and sweet potatoes and you shell out half of eat of them and swap them so one half is sweet potato and the other is regular potato. That probably made sense. XD

Never forget the Great Potato Famine of 1845--may the tortured souls of those dearly departed Irish potatoes RIP in peace. (And the rural population that died with them ohmy.gif)

In all seriousness, though, I love those little fried potatoes that are in smiley face shapes, I think they're cute! But then I feel bad when I get hungry after fondly regarding them and bite half their faces off.

Still, remember, 'fried' is only one letter off from 'friend'! (Who eats their friends...?)

Edited by tots

Still, remember, 'fried' is only one letter off from 'friend'! (Who eats their friends...?)

And friend without the r is fiend. c:

Oh, I remembered another thing I like! Potato bread! Potato bread and Hawaiian bread are probably the best things ever.

Basically, it's bread where you use potato to replace some of the wheat flour. Not like you just dice up potatoes...it's usually mashed potatoes or potato flakes that are used. But the end result is delicious no matter what. The bread is kind of dense and has a really awesome flavor. I think it's kind of soft, too, and it makes really good bread rolls. c:

Since there is some things about potato chips and crisps, why are there corn chips but not corn crisps?

Never could stomach the taste of potatoes or the texture.

Yes, I'm weird.

I don't like spaghetti either.

Potato are my favorite food group.

<3

They are one of the most versatile foods I can think of.

I do love the fried fiends: french fries, homes fries, fish and chips, potato chips, great big steak fries, hash browns, country potatoes, potato pancakes, potato patties - a scoop of mashed potatoes flattened, floured and fried in butter.

There is also potato flour for breads, cookies and other things, mashed, boiled, scalloped, baked, and potato salad in so many variations. I've had potatoes in curries, shish kebobs, and I love them in burritos with the whole pintos, cheese, sour ream and salsa. Tiny baby potatoes, fresh from the garden and gently steamed with a bit of butter - mmmmm!

While I've grown up with so many variations available, I think I'm going to start looking for some new and different potato recipes. smile.gif

Because potatoes are so awesome that you can't just give them one name.

cool.gif Good point. Hmm, ah and er... The many more ways you can cook it is much more than corn.