nlechoppa

Potatoes

I like potatoes in all forms! Mashed, baked, fried, boiled, ... they are just always awesome! <3

I love potatoes. Preferably with ketchup or some pepper for flavor. Mummy, seasoned fries.

Sweet potatoes are not actually in the same family as potatoes, and yams are even more distant from both of them.

Well, pooh! :-)

Yes, of course, botanically speaking, sweet potatoes and yams aren't potatoes, but to all intents and purposes they are. I mean, if we use them like potatoes, they are fulfilling that role, and so might as well be referred to as potatoes. Perhaps they would protest that they weren't potatoes, if only they could speak, but since they can't, I believe we might assign them any label we choose. :-)

Edited by Jennie

TATERS!!!

> Easy to Grow.

> Hard to Expire.

> Delicious.

> Usable in almost any dish.

> Filling

> Just Win.

Taters! Fook Yea!

Bad potatos.

as a cook, I must go into the bad side of the beautiful spud world. i will touch on the beautiful spuds too.

Solanine.

This is the green patch you sometimes find on a potato tuber. What this is is the potato going green when exposed to sunlight - starts chlorophyll - this in itself is not dangerous. But the potato, being related to nightshade (as are tomatoes, eggplant and peppers) it also contains the same toxins. The green exposed area is likely to be creating more of the solanine toxin

These toxins are the potato's natural defence against insects. But too much of the toxin can poison humans too, which is why they say, don't eat the green potato.

Generally speaking they say toss the whole spud out. But the taste of the affected spud, if it's bitter toss it. It's toxic.

Rotten Potatoes.

It smells like rotting meat. I have been unfortunate to become extremely familiar with the stench of rotting flesh that I can tell you easily that a potato emits that same horrible repulsive smell. Why? I don't know but you can track that sucker down and you'll find the most repulsive Ex-potato in existence. And if there are any flying insects, they'll be there, they'll have probably a nice brood of babies involved too with the stinker.

Easily though, just wash the other potatos toss the ones that are really nasty away.

Potato colours

Blue/purple

Red/white fleshed

red/red fleshed.

White/ white fleshed

Yellow/ gold fleshed

Waxy types - mealy types

Waxy types are not good for making fries out of. They are best for boiling, or making into potato salads. They are often young or new potatos. they have a slippery smooth texture.

Mealy types - russet potatos are awesome for making french fries. theyr flesh is kinda granular or grainy.

Basically it has to do with sugar content. more sugars in the potato the browner it can go (I mean ugly brown) when deep fried. Sugar burns. So mealy types have less sugar and are awesome for those deep fried potatos we all love.

When you slice potatoes for fries, keep them in a bowl of water, then towel them off before throwing them in the frier. this keeps them from going red. Also that stuff at the bottom of the bowl when you take them all out, that's potato starch!

Favourite potato dish: mashed, with garlic, parmasan and butter.

Redskin mashed potatoes. Or regular potatoes boiled in Old Bay. Om nom nom.

I love potatoes in all forms. Well, except for the nasty green patches but those aren't the potato's fault!

A couple years ago, I started making my own gnocchi. It's so simple but so difficult at the same time -- you have to boil the potato, shred it with a fork, and mix it with flour before boiling the gnocchi; there are only 2 ingredients but you need the balance to be just right. Too much flour and the gnocchi get gummy or heavy, too little and they will crumble apart when you boil them. My first attempt was perfect, second too gummy, and third too crumbly. Aaaagh!

But the results are soooo delicious!

I dunno, I think the mass production of a limited number of tuber varieties and the slow integration of GMO pollen crop into indigenous andean heirloom potato strains is actually something that should get more attention.

Vitamin rich native south american potatoes are being bred out of existence for the sake of high starch white types that appeal more to markets in the US.

Potatoes be important.

Potato flour, I'd guess.

Wait, you can make flour out of them? I knew you could get starch from them, but flour too? Welp, I'm off to try and make this.

Potatoes be important.

They certainly are here anyway, the Irish love their spuds xd.png But I don't know if we as a nation favour one certain potato over another, since we grow so many varieties.

I personally like making potato salad with baby new potatoes, found a recipe for an amazing greek yogurt sauce to go on them that has more flavour than just dumping some mayo on them smile.gif

Or I love a good roast potato. Had a few for dinner earlier with salmon cooked in soy sauce and honey biggrin.gif

Now how does that work?

Well, my sister makes it, so I don't know the exact process. But I do know it involves boiling and then mashing the potatoes. It sounds bizarre, but the results are amazing.

I dunno, I think the mass production of a limited number of tuber varieties and the slow integration of GMO pollen crop into indigenous andean heirloom potato strains is actually something that should get more attention.

Vitamin rich native south american potatoes are being bred out of existence for the sake of high starch white types that appeal more to markets in the US.

Solution: genetically modify the indigenous South American vitamin-rich heirloom potatoes to be able to keep up with the modified high-starch kinds in terms of production, get them popular among the hipsters and natural food crowds in the US, thus creating a demand for them (think the three million kinds of apples), all the potatoes for everyone.

I don't agree. I personally only eat potatoes in the form of french fries. Otherwise potatoes do not get eaten by me.

I like all potatoes. They're yummy.

I have eaten mashed potatoes with honey mustard before.

~Post moved~

Please use the edit tool instead of double posting.

Edited by _Z_

I have eaten mashed potatoes with honey mustard before.

been there! Great idea

I love potato wedges, tater tots, curly fries, waffle fries, mashed potatoes, and hash browns. ^^ Potatoes are the best!

Potatoes are cool. I drew a picture for Sock (it's in her thread) with a cool potato with shades.