nlechoppa

Potatoes

Have we brought up gnocci here yet? I'm sure we have but they bear mentioning again. Gnocci are so good.

Store-bought gnocchi aren't that good. Try home-made ones. They are not even too hard to prepare.

W00t! Potatoes are best! ^^ Also,lmfao,that's exactly the type of post I would make *.*

There is a book called "The History of the Potato" and it's about how people hated potatoes thinking that of they grow under the earth,they must come from the devil,but they finally started eating potatoes and loving them.

Potatoes are one of my favorite foods. That said, I don't like potato salad. It is kind of weird.

I'm living in an unexpectedly vegan flat (was meant to be vegetarian, but two flatmates changed their diets roughly two weeks before we moved in), so all our dinners are vegan. It's been quite hard for me to find vegan recipes I like so I mostly just fall back on potatoes - baked, mashed, topping for vegan shepherd's pie, chipped, whatever... I love potatoes smile.gif

I couldn't happily live a vegan lifestyle - I'm an omnivore, damn it! I could survive as a vegetarian for a while though, so long as I could still have my dairy and eggs.

On-topic, we're growing red potatoes and blue potatoes this year! And when I say red and blue, I mean even the flesh is red and blue, respective to the variety. I'm really looking forward to harvest time in the fall!

Store-bought gnocchi aren't that good. Try home-made ones. They are not even too hard to prepare.

I've yet to try that, I've mostly had restaurant ones. They sound good.

As I said a few posts above, we've planted some blue ones this year - which do -look- kind of purplely blue.

I like french fries.

I don't like anything else related to potatoes though.

I've never met a potato I didn't like. Yes blue/purple ones too.

Hey, I think I know you! EvilYogurt! My only vampire bit an egg and it got kicked to the AP! You claimed it, didn't you?

Hey, I think I know you! EvilYogurt! My only vampire bit an egg and it got kicked to the AP! You claimed it, didn't you?

Yeah, I did. I forgot it was yours. I'm afraid I can't give it back, it's an adult now... has been for almost a month. But thanks for 'letting' me have it, it was my very first dragon. smile.gif

We planted potatoes in our own patch today. smile.gif They ought to be ready for harvest sometime in late august - early september. It's not a big patch, but we can raise several varieties and we usually have our own potatoes to eat for quite a large part of the year.

Almond potato is a personal favorite; we've got both regular and a blue kind of almond potato this year.

Edited by Ripan

We planted most of ours in 4-tire tire towers. The ones in the bottom tire grow just as well as the ones in the top.

I love mashed potatoes.

I mean, who doesn't...

...and the struggle is dealing with having to mash it by hand (or in my case, since I don't own a special potato masher thingymadooha) I have to mash the potatoes by stabbing them with a spatula.

Its not very efficient and its always gonna produce lumps.

So today I tried something different..xd.png

I put all my potatoes, steamed and soft n' ready for mashing, into my All in One automatic bread maker.

Then I set it to "dough", and then it mashed my potatoes for me <3333 I added salt and the other stuff in, and when it was done, it tasted like heaven <3

What a coincidence how this thread popped again on one of the rare times I have potatoes. Today I don't have rice so I bought some little red potatoes. I was tempted to just pop them in a microwave, but I decided to go the safe route and put them in the oven with a bit of olive oil. Fingers crossed that they turn out okay! (There's still 10 minutes to the timer)

Oh, that sounds delicious.

Open the oven carefully and poke one of them with a chopstick or something. If it goes through it should be cooked :3

They sound like oversized French fries...yum!

Aha, they were more like baked potatoes -- because that was what they were, lol. One of the bigger ones was a little undercooked, but they were nice! I had to add another 20 minutes to the timer, though. Takes a while.

The microwave is a great way to cook potatoes. To make an average size white (Idaho type) potato, just wash it and stab it a few times with a fork, then cook it on high for about 8 minutes or so. Squeeze it gently using a potholder and if it's soft, it's done. If not, give it a little longer.

It works the same way for a sweet potato.

The reason you MUST pierce the skin with a fork is to allow the steam that builds up in it during cooking to escape. If you don't, there is a chance it could explode.

I'm addicted to potatoes. I've been eating french fries for days! blink.gif Thanks to my constant need to go to McDonald's all the time lately we're gonna go bankrupt.

I love potatoes, but I've been trying to switch them with sweet potatoes in a lot of my food lately for the extra vitamins.