nlechoppa

Potatoes

My favorite form of potatoes is tator tots...and I am not fond of sweet potatoes for some reason

Okay ladies and gents... I made potato chips for the first time!

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

I can't explain my process now, but if you want to know what I did, i will go into details my thoughts on the process and how I think I can improve the process to make a better chip. In a nutshell though, this is my first true attempt. I am pleased!

Woah, those look just like store-bought potato chips! Awesome! Must have been a kong and difficult process, though.

Has anyone tried just boiled potatoes with mushrooms and kale? It's really good, especially with garlic for flavouring.

Okay how I made the kettle Chips - and I am not very experience on this. I had to leave for work when I posted the pics.

I did these fast so the results are not as good as they could be, or so my sous chef says - I am inclined to believe him. I just wanted chips and I wanted them NOW!

I soaked mine for 45 minutes in two changes of water and vinegar solution. I don't know how much vin, I just poured some in.

Sous chef says to soak them in water for at least 24 hours. I read somewhere they fermented them for about 48 hours in either whey or used a bacterial culture (as in cheese)

After mine soaked, I blanched them (aka boiled for 2 - 3minutes) in vinegar and water solution to tenderise them, chilled them in cold water to stop the cooking process, then patted them dry. I dropped about 15 at a time into the deep frier and cooked them until they were crispy.

The dark colour, I am told is due to the starch in the potato, which is why you soak them. To draw this starch out. I am told the vinegar also helps with this and helps keep the chip lighter in colour. I think Citric acid may be usable for the same purpose so as to avoid the vinegar flavour the chips had a bit.. but salt and vin chips are awesome.

Once deep fried, I drained them on a towel then tossed in salt and pepper.

I can post again sometime if I get better results.

Edit OMG the results after soaking for about 12 hours was amazing!

user posted image

First of all, a scientific approach. I wanted to see which way produced a better chip.

there are 8 actual ways I cooked these.

Top left:

Raw, out of the water and blanched in oil.

Raw, just out of the pot of water

Bottom Left.

blanched in water then blanched in oil

Blanched in water only

Top Right

Raw, dried first then blanched in oil

Raw, dried only

Bottom right

Blanched in Water, Dried, then Blanched in oil

Blanced in water, dried only

Bottom Left second set won. Blanched then added to the frier.

by blanched I mean partially cooked.

user posted image

They are swimming around the hot oil starting to float and really cook up

user posted image

They have shrunk significantly, curled up and start to really look like potato chips

Finished Products.

user posted image

Cajun Spiced Chips

user posted image

Just Salt.

What I did:

At around 10pm I sliced several potatoes on my mandolin slicer. They were added to a bowl of water with citric acid.

Around Midnight they were water changed, and more citric acid was added and then Salt.

Around 3am they were water changed again, with fresh water, cider vinegar and salt.

At noon I started my test chips, rinsed them well.

Having chosen the method I thought resulted in a great chip, I then blanched the chips for 2 minutes in boiling water, Refreshed in cold water, then finished doing that step.

when I cooked them, I did 25 at a time, dropped in one at a time, so they didn't stick.

Broke my tongs.

Drained the chips in a sive over a bowl, tossed them in either salt or cajun spice then put them in a warm oven to maintain freshness.

Eat and Enjoy.

Key elements:

* Soak them well at least 12 hours. Cook any sooner and they will be dark like mine were yesterday.

* use salted water to draw out the moisture in the chip before cooking.

* cook at 350f any hotter will result in a dark chip that isn't crunchy.

* Use vinegar to help keep it white.

Edited by Starscream

They sound yummy, but I don't have the patience or memory to remember when to go change the soaking solutions.

I love to bake potatoes, open them and scoop out the innards.

Butter them and sprinkle grated cheddar cheese on them then either bake again until cheese is gooey, nuke until gooey cheese or broil until then.

Buttering the skins and putting cheese inside and heating them is also good. The skins have a lot of the vitamins and minerals. i know the margerine or butter isn't good for you. You can't eat a lot of comfort foods often.

Sad but true.

US and UK terms differ regarding potatoes too!

Fries = potato chips

Potato chips = potato crisps

Okay how I made the kettle Chips - and I am not very experience on this. I had to leave for work when I posted the pics.

*snipped for length*

I'm so glad I went searching back in the General Discussion threads (I was bored), because now I really want to try this recipe. Om nom nom.

I do love a good potato.

If my mother and I resemble by anything in this world - we are both addicted to potatoes. xd.png If there was one grocery that I could eat all my life it would be potatoes. I like them in every variant and in every shape except in a potato salad. I hate potato salad. laugh.gif

But french fries, mashed potatoes, potato chips... bring it on!

I love potatoes!

My favourite type of potato is twisty potatoes! One day I will equip my kitchen with everything needed to make them! lol

There's this special type of cutter you can get that turns it into a spiral and then you deep fry it and put flavour on. My favourite flavour that I've had was salt and vinegar. :3

How on earth did DC get so obsessed with potatoes, anyway? I'm surprised we don't have a potato dragon yet...

baby reds withteh skin still on, slow cooked all day along with a roast, carrots, celery and onions.

all seasoned to purfection

*drools a bit*

Yes. Minus the onion. Because onion is gross.

How on earth did DC get so obsessed with potatoes, anyway? I'm surprised we don't have a potato dragon yet...

I don't know but I vote that we get potato dragons to go with our cheese dragons.

Edited by Dewdropmon

Mashed potatoes for the win! They're one of the only type of potato that won't give me hiccups.

baby reds withteh skin still on, slow cooked all day along with a roast, carrots, celery and onions.

all seasoned to purfection

*drools a bit*

I'm with you all the way, man. 8D *DROOL*

They make me think of one thing: Sasha Brouse from SNK xd.png

Because potatoes are delicious? ohmy.gif You can make them so many ways, and each one is so good! I really want potatoes now...

They make me think of one thing: Sasha Brouse from SNK xd.png

Same here. xd.png

Are potato fruits green or are the ones in the pictures I've seen just young?

A potato thread? YAS. My dad made potato and mushroom soup for dinner and I put cheese on it and- *goes into deliciousness-induced spasm*

colorful potatoes, sadly I am not very successful by growing potatoes, most harvested tubers are tiny. And some of my tubers rotten so this year I do not have many to plant

user posted image

Edited by Seiti

DC is mostly a carrot, but SOMETIMES A POTATO!

Also,

Wednesday has been canceled due to a scheduling potato.

The wise words of Socky xd.png

colorful potatoes, sadly I am not very successful by growing potatoes, most harvested tubers are tiny. And some of my tubers rotten so this year I do not have many to plant

user posted image

What are blue potatoes like? I've been wondering for a while.

My go-to potatoes are the red-skinned ones. I dislike the texture of the brown-skinned baking potatoes. Also sweet potatoes=love~

blue potatoes tase like normal potatoes, just have that stunning color

the pink potato is called Rosemarie

don't remember right now which 2 blue(they were called blue but violet would be a better name for them) potatoes varieties are on the photo:

I think left the dark one on the left should be Violetta (also called Blaue Elise) the other blue potatoe should I think be Congo (Blauer Schwede) or Salad Blue, think it was Congo on the photo, nut Iam not comletly sure

the best taste have the yellow one, this one is called Mayan Twilight, it differs to some other potatoes while most potatoes varieties belong to Solanum tuberosum, Mayan Twilight is a Solanum phureja

inside its very brightyellow and the skin is yellow and pink pattern

hope this year they will grow better, than the last years, I wonder what they dislike on my cultivation that I just have only poor harvest.

I also love sweet potatoes(is actually botanical not a potato, its a morning glory)