Floralpikmin99

Interacting with Wilderness Dragons

Do you think this is a Good idea?  

345 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I support this idea. It would definitely keep me busy while I'm waiting for eggs to hatch. (like right now). I don't think it's a good idea to have the BSAs. It kind of breaks Dc and people would probably spam it.

I think it would be a fun little side activity to do when bored. I also support the badges/trophies.

I do think that we should have a page for our befriended dragons like /befriended/username, because otherwise it would be hard to track them down.

Also, I know many people are against the BSA idea - but what if there was a period where you couldn't use their BSA, until the dragon gets to know you & your other dragons and feels more comfortable helping out and such. And when requesting for them to use their BSA, it could have a possibility of failure if the dragon doesn't feel up to it at the time. Or maybe just a longer cooldown period?

I really don't see much point in this - but a befriending badge would be nice I guess.

I'm absolutely against using wild dragons in any way resembling the use of dragons on your scroll, be it BSA or otherwise - that would feel too much like "make a wilderness dragon yours" through the back door.

Love it! Maybe you can have a second scroll that shows dragon that you have met and befriended but the dragons on this scroll cannot be bred, named, or given a description, nor can they count towards the number of dragons you own.

There could also be the possibility of it liking you enough to want you to adopt it but this will be extremely rare.

Edited by solarflare3000

How about the idea with sending your dragon out to have adventures with wild ones, and it returns with a message like suggested?

Have it be a randomized 'mad libs' esque blurb. biggrin.gif

'Today <dragon name> went to the <adjective> wilderness and made lots of friends! Throughout the <morning/day/evening/night> they <verb> and <verb> <noun> and enjoyed themselves.'

or 'Today when <dragon name> went out to explore the <adjective> wilderness, a <weather condition> showed up out of nowhere! It was <adjective> and a it made the world completely different.'

I don't know I'm bad at these, I'll leave them up to people who are better at writing stuff. But I think that'd be cute. smile.gif The messages wouldn't be stored though, so maybe if this works out, there can be a thread where people save them to show others? Or add it to a dragon's description.

perhaps that might work. But the messages should be longer mad libs with a more specific adventure. To start one, go the scroll of befriended dragons and go to actions and select adventure. Then, choose a dragon you own to go on the adventure with them. Next, you receive a status message that tells how the adventure goes or if they even decided to go on one. Btw the point is to help pass the time while waiting for eggs to hatch. Dragon cave need more fun activities that includes interacting with computer characters and other players that is not a forum.

Edited by solarflare3000

Logically, the dragons were raised by people so in theory they'd be less aggressive.

Wolves in the wild kill and eat dogs. There are some cases of hybridation, but the common occurrence is that wolves have a rigid and enclosed pack structure and view dogs as competitors in the same league as coyotes and foxes, and thus show aversion towards them.

So I imagine wild dragons would view domestic dragons in a similar fashion.

Anyways, I can't imagine a black or a wild vine, (or a domestic one for that matter), trying to befriend anyone. They are vicious, dangerous beasts, not MLP horses.

You want to go exploring with the dragons, I see why not, but I'd really keep the Friendship is Magic message out and stick to something more neutral, not involving wild dragons.

I definitely like the idea of being able to do something with the wild dragons - otherwise what's the point of creating a viewable wilderness page at all? Supporting this. smile.gif

Have also got my own idea of what could be done with wilderness dragons - might create a thread for it soon once I've got it a bit more worked out.

Edited by Cendaquenta

Wolves in the wild kill and eat dogs. There are some cases of hybridation, but the common occurrence is that wolves have a rigid and enclosed pack structure and view dogs as competitors in the same league as coyotes and foxes, and thus show aversion towards them.

So I imagine wild dragons would view domestic dragons in a similar fashion.

Anyways, I can't imagine a black or a wild vine, (or a domestic one for that matter), trying to befriend anyone. They are vicious, dangerous beasts, not MLP horses.

You want to go exploring with the dragons, I see why not, but I'd really keep the Friendship is Magic message out and stick to something more neutral, not involving wild dragons.

The black or vine dragons would be harder to befriend than most. But, not impossible.

Dragons are smarter than wolves. They could get along with one of your domestic dragons if they wanted to. Also, where did you get the friendship is magic message? I believe a wild dragon could get along with a human if that particular human was kind. Of course an argument would be that the dragon was abandoned and now wants no more of humans. My counter to that is what is the definition of release? Release is to let go. Meaning that the dragon left willingly, not by force.

Another argument is with the burnt scrolls. When a scroll is burned the dragons on it go to the wild. The argument is that these dragon are traumatized and now despise of or fear humans. My counter to that is the dragons may not understand the reason of why it was burned and may no blame their master for it but blame a different human and still want a master.

You seem to be assuming an awful lot. What makes you think that dragons are smarter then wolves? As someone who's raised wolves, I don't think that generalized assumption can be correct. Sure, *some* dragons are smarter then *some* wolves... Especially the dragons that can use strong magic. But some of the species in DragonCave probably aren't all that smart (example, the Ochredrake description states they aren't as intelligent as normal dragons.)

Also, the actual release text says "You cross out the dragon's information on your scroll and leave it to survive on its own." It doesn't sound like the dragon was given a choice; they were "left" to survive all by themselves. They were abandoned, basically. We, as users, have no idea if we just led the dragon into the wilderness and told it to stay, or had to tie it somewhere or block access to our cave in order to "force" it out. But we know for sure that we didn't give it a choice.

I don't see a need for this suggestion, but I'm not *against* it. It should make sense, though, certain dragons (like vine and black) simply should not be approached, and the outcome should be fairly random. These are dragons who were wronged by humans; Some may still love humans, some may not. These are dragons who are used to the company of fellow wild dragons; some may welcome a domestic dragon, but some may not.

I really like this idea! It'll be something fun and harmless to do (like Splash; a sorta-meaningless-but-still-fun badge) and of course there should be restrictions on it like how many dragons you could befriend in one day. About the befriending aggressive dragons thing; Could we have it so you can only approach aggressive dragons later? i.e.

Beginner-level dragon-friend (whatever we're naming the badge); when you approach a vine or black dragon (or hellfire, whatever, any aggressive dragon breeds) it reads "You are inexperienced in meeting/taming/calming dragons and don't feel safe approaching this dangerous dragon"

Intermediate level; "You are more experienced in the ways of dragon taming (calming? befriending?) but the dragon growls at you and you back away"

Gold/highest level; "You feel like you are ready to approach the dragon and carefully walk towards it" and then at that point the other actions/percentages could kick in (if it rejects you, growls, befriends you, etc.)

Basically, you wouldn't even be able to approach the territorial/aggressive breeds until you reached a higher level. Thoughts?

I really like this idea!!! It'd be something fun to do when I'm scroll locked, and dying of boredom!! Oh, and I think that the idea above is quite interesting as well, as it gives a bit of a point to this whole thing wink.gif

I think there should be another result--a 0.0001% chance that the following message occurs:

You approach the dragon in an attempt to befriend it, but it mistakes you for a snack and devours you in one gulp. You lose.

After which, of course, your account no longer works, but your scroll is still visible.

~

Jokes aside, I really like this suggestion ^^

This is awesome- I would definitely do this. I love looking at the dragons in the Wilderness, and it would be super fun to do this.

I really like this idea! It'll be something fun and harmless to do (like Splash; a sorta-meaningless-but-still-fun badge) and of course there should be restrictions on it like how many dragons you could befriend in one day. About the befriending aggressive dragons thing; Could we have it so you can only approach aggressive dragons later? i.e.

Beginner-level dragon-friend (whatever we're naming the badge); when you approach a vine or black dragon (or hellfire, whatever, any aggressive dragon breeds) it reads "You are inexperienced in meeting/taming/calming dragons and don't feel safe approaching this dangerous dragon"

Intermediate level; "You are more experienced in the ways of dragon taming (calming? befriending?) but the dragon growls at you and you back away"

Gold/highest level; "You feel like you are ready to approach the dragon and carefully walk towards it" and then at that point the other actions/percentages could kick in (if it rejects you, growls, befriends you, etc.)

Basically, you wouldn't even be able to approach the territorial/aggressive breeds until you reached a higher level. Thoughts?

@King_Max_Cat: I could see this idea working, as it does make sense. Mixing this with how many dragons on the player's scroll might be considered overkill though… I will think about it though, perhaps I can find a way to combine them…

@PieMaster: That would be hilarious… Except if it happened to you… xd.png

@zaverxi: I think that'd be a bit much for this suggestion. I'm not just shooting it down, perhaps if it's reworked to fit more with DC it could be added to the OP. ^^

Do I sound rude? I really hope I don't sound rude!

@Crocodile & Solarflare3000: A page for the dragons would be a good idea. Perhaps the link to such a page would be connected to the wilderness page?

Onto dragons. So for befriending dragons and their natures, this is what I found:

Unstated Natures/Neutral:

-Albino

-Balloon

-Black Tea

-Blacktip Dragon

-Blusang Lindwurm

-Bright-Breasted Wyvern

-Brimstone Dragon

-Canopy Dragon

-Costal Waverunner

-Daydream

-Deep Sea

-Dorsal

-Duotone Dragon

-Electric Dragon

-Flamingo Dragon

-Gilded Bloodscale Dragon

-Gold-Horned Tangar

-Green Dragon

-Horse Dragon

-Lumina Dragon

-Magi Dragons

-Nebula Dragon

-Nocturne Dragon

-Olive Dragon

-Pillow Dragon

-Purple Dragon

-Pygmy Dragon

-Red Dragon

-Seasonal Dragon

-Seawrm Pygmy

-Skywing Dragon

-Stone Dragon

-Striped Dragon

-Sunset Dragon

-Swallowtail Dragon

-Tri-Horn Wyvern

-Tsunami Wyvern

-Turpentine Dragon

-Two-Headed Dragon

-Two Headed Lindwurm

-Water Dragon

-Water Walker Dragon

-Yellow-Crowned Dragon

-Geode Dragon

-Shallow Water Dragon

-Ice Dragon

-Magma Dragon

-Thunder Dragon

-Gold Dragon

-Silver Dragon

-Tinsel Dragon

-Shimmer-Scale Dragon

-Cheese Dragon

-Guardian of Nature

-Holly Dragon

-Yulebuck

-Snow Angel

-Ribbon Dancer

-Winter Magi

-Wrapping Wing

-Pumpkin Dragon

-Black Marrow

-Shadow Walker

-Grave Dragon

-Valentine Dragon

-Rosebud Dragon

-Chicken

-Dinos

-Bright Pink

Friendly/Playful

-Black Capped Teimarr

-Crimson Flare Pygmy

-Day Glory Drake

-Imperial Fleshcrownes

-Misfit Pygmy

-Neotropical

-Ochredrake

-Red-Finned Tidal Dragon

-Ridgewing Dragon

-Speckle-Throated Dragon

-Spotted Greenwing

-Sunsong Amphiptere

-Waterhorse Dragon

-Whiptail Dragon

-Two-Finned Bluna

-Copper Dragon

-Sweetling

-Arsani Dragon

Gentle

-Dark Myst Pygmy

-Guardian Dragon

-Harvest Dragon

-Mint Dragons

-Moonstone Dragons

-Nhiostrife Wyvern

-Night Glory Drake

-Nilia Pygmy

-Pink Dragon

-Royal Blue Dragon

-Royal Crimson Dragon

-Terrae Dragon

-White Dragon

-Soulpeace Dragon

-Ultaviolet Dragon

-Golden Wyvern

-Solstice Dragon

-Heartseeker Dragon

-Frilled Dragon

Territorial

-Ember Dragon

-Spitfire Dragon

Agressive

-Black

-Bleeding Moon Dragon

-Dark Green Dragon

-Gray

-Hellfire Wyvern

-Seragamma Wyvern

-Sunstone Dragon

-Hellhorse Dragon

-Neglected

-Vampire Dragon

-Cavern Lurker Dragon

I like the idea of interacting with them to get a Trophy (It reminds me of the 'Splash' action and badge - just something to do to kill a little time as you wait for your scroll to unlock)

I agree with King_Max_Cat that there should be some kind of restriction. Though I myself would rather see a limit as to how many times a day you can interact with the Wilderness dragons [Like how you can't use Splash more than once a day with the same dragon - or how you must wait 10/15 minutes between finding eggs/treats during hunts] as opposed to needing to improve your handling skills.

For example - Players can try to interact with the dragons no more than once every hour. If they already have - they could get a message like

As you head towards the Wilderness - you notice there are very few dragons about. You feel it might be because of your scent - so you decide to wait a while before you try again.

Optional: it could include the time at the bottom

You can try again in X amount of time here.

This will help keep people coming back - and will (at least a little) probably help the Wilderness not be too crowded and lagging with people visiting it (like the Biomes during a new release for example)

I also think this would be a fun extra activity.

When checking out lineages of my dragons, I sometimes find a Wilderness Dragon. It would be neat to interact with these 'parents' and 'grandparents' of dragons on my scroll.

It may be fun - but please no additional activities that we "need" to take part in to "get" something. This game's GREATEST strength is its simplicity.

I like the idea of interacting with them to get a Trophy (It reminds me of the 'Splash' action and badge - just something to do to kill a little time as you wait for your scroll to unlock)

I agree with King_Max_Cat that there should be some kind of restriction. Though I myself would rather see a limit as to how many times a day you can interact with the Wilderness dragons [Like how you can't use Splash more than once a day with the same dragon - or how you must wait 10/15 minutes between finding eggs/treats during hunts] as opposed to needing to improve your handling skills.

For example - Players can try to interact with the dragons no more than once every hour. If they already have - they could get a message like

As you head towards the Wilderness - you notice there are very few dragons about. You feel it might be because of your scent - so you decide to wait a while before you try again.

Optional: it could include the time at the bottom

You can try again in X amount of time here.

This will help keep people coming back - and will (at least a little) probably help the Wilderness not be too crowded and lagging with people visiting it (like the Biomes during a new release for example)

I like this idea. I'll add it to the main post once I get to a proper computer. ^^

Alright, slightly bringing this back…

I updated the OP with new dragons and such, and added the limit as suggested earlier.

If there are any dragons I missed please tell me. ^^

I like this idea, it's really nice smile.gif

However I have a question: if I befriend a wild dragon, will be possible even for other users to befriend it after me? In this case would be easy to "cheat" and create a list of codes of nice and playful dragons. I would prefer if each dragon could befriend to one single person.

Befriend

The dragons becomes "your" friend and Rejects other players. There could be a list of wild dragons that you've befriend, even if you cannot breed or use BSA on them.

Curiously Approaches

You can try again to approach the dragon with high chances to befriend it, but everybody else will be able to do, too

Nothing Happens

You can try again to approach the dragon with normal chances to befriend it, but everybody else will be able to do, too

Doesn't Want you Around

You can try again to approach the dragon with low chances to befriend it, but everybody else will be able to do, too

Reject

it will be faded out on the Wilderness page if it ever comes up again.

If the "pourpose" of this Wilderness Interaction is earn a badge (those in the OP are relly beautifull wink.gif ) than we need to know how we earn it.

For every dragon that you befriend we could earn 3 points

For every dragon that we approach/nothing happens without befriend we could earn 2 points

If the dragon doesn't want you around you could earn 1 point

If the dragon reject you earn 0 points

user posted image you need to have 60 points to obtain this badge

user posted image you need to have 300 points to obtain this badge

user posted image you need to have 600 points to obtain this badge

OR (to make this thing easier)

Just one point for every dragon befriend and normal trophy goals, like the ones we already have.

However it doesn't seems right to me because you can decide to breed and catch eggs for your scroll, it's quite simple to raise your dragons to adulthood and obatin the normal trophies. If you want a dragon is EASY catch a common one from AP or Biomes, BUT it's not sure instead if the dragon you will find in wilderness will befriend you: you will have 1 chance over 5 to have success. So, if we accept that even the other possibilities are able to give you points seems more fair to me.

However I have a question: if I befriend a wild dragon, will be possible even for other users to befriend it after me? In this case would be easy to "cheat" and create a list of codes of nice and playful dragons. I would prefer if each dragon could befriend to one single person.

I don't think it would make sense nor be that nice to the players for dragons to only have one human friend. Arsani dragons, for example: they can live in huge social groups among their own kind but only love one human? Not only is this like saying someone's pet dog can't be nice to other people, it's also not at all like that (I know that doesn't make sense, but bare with me here). Once dragons are in the wilderness, they're no one's pet, if they were even considered one in the first place. They have been stated to be as smart, if not smarter, than humans, so if they're willing to befriend one shouldn't they be willing to be nice to others?

This doesn't only not make sense, it's also kinda greedy. We can't share cave eggs. When someone grabs it, it's gone. It's not rocket science, it's common sense. But wild and free dragons, living their life as they choose, can easily be shared and still make sense from a RP standpoint. If we can share with little to no harm done to us, if we even noticed it happened in the first place (in this case another user befriending a dragon) I don't know why it's encouraged to be stingy.

I don't think it would make sense nor be that nice to the players for dragons to only have one human friend. Arsani dragons, for example: they can live in huge social groups among their own kind but only love one human? Not only is this like saying someone's pet dog can't be nice to other people, it's also not at all like that (I know that doesn't make sense, but bare with me here). Once dragons are in the wilderness, they're no one's pet, if they were even considered one in the first place. They have been stated to be as smart, if not smarter, than humans, so if they're willing to befriend one shouldn't they be willing to be nice to others?

This doesn't only not make sense, it's also kinda greedy. We can't share cave eggs. When someone grabs it, it's gone. It's not rocket science, it's common sense. But wild and free dragons, living their life as they choose, can easily be shared and still make sense from a RP standpoint. If we can share with little to no harm done to us, if we even noticed it happened in the first place (in this case another user befriending a dragon) I don't know why it's encouraged to be stingy.

I would have no problem at all with dragons with a lot of friend to take a tea (It's me or it seems a sentece as we're talking about little ponies?). My only concern was about the utility about this.

Let's say, for example, that I'll looking to befriend only nice codes in the wilderness, a sort of collection that I could share with others. I would have no problem with others that want to befriend the same dragons, too.

I would make a list of all nice codes that I've found: "look at all the work I've done to search and befriend them!" And after that somebody check my list and befriend all the same ones, just them and jast to obtaining a thropy without even try to find his own friends. He knew which were simply to befriend, so he click on them just to obtain the trophies.

Afterall they're dragons... It bother me quite a bit that in this game they're treated like dogs and guinea pigs, smart and big as these animals. I love the fantasy dragon concept, Smaug is an evil dragon, but is smart, mischievous. Draco of Dragonheart is kind, generous, but still proud and wild.

Mine was just a question, since is not specified in the OP. I was not encuraging to be stingy, I was just following the mechanics of Dragon Cave itself, that doesn't allow to share the same dragons, in any form. I would have no problem at all to share my little dragon friends with others.

Edited by Naruhina_94

I would make a list of all nice codes that I've found: "look at all the work I've done to search and befriend them!" And after that somebody check my list and befriend all the same ones, obtaining a thropy without even try to find his own friends, but just going to those that he knew were simply to befriend, just to obtain the trophies.

This wasn't clarified that much. If it were, well, that's a different case entirely. I can see this being a problem, with two solutions:

A. Not being able to find wild dragons via code. Because of the way DC works, I see this as an unlikely answer, but it's a concept worth throwing around. It would certainly encourage the hunting aspect of wilderness interaction.

B. Being able to hide your list of dragons. This seems more likely, but less of a deterrent to thieves, and a hassle for people who just befriend dragons because they want to and have only gotten a good code by coincidence.

Edited because "befried" dragons aren't very tasty, unlike pink pie.

Edited by Psycho Cat

Basically, I love the idea.

One small addition: Little Prince method smile.gif If a dragon ignores you on the first try, you'd get slightly better chance that the same dragon next time would let you closer, and the next time you try maybe even closer, and eventually, you befriended him. Not just like throwing a dice every day.

That said, I WANT to do this. smile.gif