Floralpikmin99

Interacting with Wilderness Dragons

Do you think this is a Good idea?  

345 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I'm neutral. As long as it doesn't add anything necessary to play the game [it doesn't change something so you have to do wilderness befriending or you're missing out on something important that you can't do otherwise] I'm fine.

Extra BSAs, sure, since you can have those same dragons on your scroll. And it would help people who, say, hate reds and don't want them on their scroll but want incubate.

The following is my opinion, just my opinion, I do not presume to speak for anyone but myself.

I have never been comfortable with the idea of interacting with the wild dragons. I do not see my dragons as pets. They do not rely on me past the hatchling stage to do anything for them. If they did, I could not keep or care for more than a very few. As adults, they hunt for, govern and care for themselves. Yes, once a human cared for and was kind to them, and they allow me to visit and see them, but they are independent and take care of themselves. So, if I betray their trust and remove their name, which is part of their bond to me, and put them out of the cave they have always called home, I don't expect them to welcome any other human interference in their lives.

When dogs run wild and form a pack, they aren't likely to welcome human interference in their lives. I wouldn't expect the wild dragons to be any more amenable to human interaction than that. Rather less, as dragons are not domesticated.

That said, this idea is not a "game breaker" for me. It just doesn't make sense to me.

I couldn't be bothered, to be honest. But if people want it - as long as it doesn't start to earn extra special eggs or anything - no problem.

Being able to do stuff with the Wild dragons could certainly be interesting. +1

As to the BSA Dragons, we obviously can't have the "normal limit" on them. Just thinking about it, I personally would bookmark that dragon so I would always be able to get to it. I also think the "relationship" with the dragon (Befriend/Nothing/Threaten) should play a part as well.

If I ran into a Red in the Wild, then...yes...it may give me permission to use its powers to incubate an egg, but the relationship would determine how long it was until I was able to use that ability again. We also have to keep in mind that this dragon (Red in this example), is attending to the needs of other Wild dragons and/or users...so...

-Befriend - Able to use ability again in 4 times the normal time (Pinks - 1 Week x4) (Red/Purple - 2 Weeks x4)

-Nothing - Able to use ability again in 8 times the normal time (Pinks - 1 Week x8) (Red/Purple - 2 Weeks x8)

-Threaten - Able to use ability again in 16 times the normal time (Pinks - 1 Week x16) (Red/Purple - 2 Weeks x16)

Thoughts?

Being able to do stuff with the Wild dragons could certainly be interesting. +1

As to the BSA Dragons, we obviously can't have the "normal limit" on them. Just thinking about it, I personally would bookmark that dragon so I would always be able to get to it. I also think the "relationship" with the dragon (Befriend/Nothing/Threaten) should play a part as well.

If I ran into a Red in the Wild, then...yes...it may give me permission to use its powers to incubate an egg, but the relationship would determine how long it was until I was able to use that ability again. We also have to keep in mind that this dragon (Red in this example), is attending to the needs of other Wild dragons and/or users...so...

-Befriend - Able to use ability again in 4 times the normal time (Pinks - 1 Week x4) (Red/Purple - 2 Weeks x4)

-Nothing - Able to use ability again in 8 times the normal time (Pinks - 1 Week x8) (Red/Purple - 2 Weeks x8)

-Threaten - Able to use ability again in 16 times the normal time (Pinks - 1 Week x16) (Red/Purple - 2 Weeks x16)

Thoughts?

While this idea is good, the only problem I have with it, is we could just go and use lets say that one pink dragon, and in 4-16 weeks (depending of course, but 8-16 being more common I guess?) we would be able to use it again. But there are so many BSA dragons out there, why wouldn't I just not worry about befriending dragons, and just run around using the ability of every dragon I could, since I didn't have to befriend them. Since there are so many out there it would be really easy just to ignore the ones I've already used the BSA for and go onto ones I haven't. On one page alone I see a pink and two magi, refreshing I see another pink. Too easy to get to the dragons, in my opinion.

While this idea is good, the only problem I have with it, is we could just go and use lets say that one pink dragon, and in 4-16 weeks (depending of course, but 8-16 being more common I guess?) we would be able to use it again. But there are so many BSA dragons out there, why wouldn't I just not worry about befriending dragons, and just run around using the ability of every dragon I could, since I didn't have to befriend them. Since there are so many out there it would be really easy just to ignore the ones I've already used the BSA for and go onto ones I haven't. On one page alone I see a pink and two magi, refreshing I see another pink. Too easy to get to the dragons, in my opinion.

Do you really think that, once it's abilities are used by enough people, a cooldown of some sort wouldn't be applied to everyone else. I'm not sure a single Red/Pink/Purple/Magi could respectively incubate a large number of eggs/influence a large number of eggs eggs/provide fertility for a large number of dragons/teleport a large number of eggs without taking a rest of some sort.

Edited by warriorjames

This idea I like.

What if the dragon had no BSA? Mabye it could release an egg or soething.

i like the idea

it is interesting in a sense that this is something new

This is a cute idea - until the idea of using wilderness BSAs and stuff. For fun, yes; using the dragons in game play not so yes. They were sent to the wilderness to just BE there.l

9/10 Awesome idea, should be considered. This should spice up DC a little...

I like it. But it might be good to have a limit of you only get 1 visit per day or something, otherwise I can see people relying on it too much.

The following is my opinion, just my opinion, I do not presume to speak for anyone but myself.

I have never been comfortable with the idea of interacting with the wild dragons. I do not see my dragons as pets. They do not rely on me past the hatchling stage to do anything for them. If they did, I could not keep or care for more than a very few. As adults, they hunt for, govern and care for themselves. Yes, once a human cared for and was kind to them, and they allow me to visit and see them, but they are independent and take care of themselves. So, if I betray their trust and remove their name, which is part of their bond to me, and put them out of the cave they have always called home, I don't expect them to welcome any other human interference in their lives.

When dogs run wild and form a pack, they aren't likely to welcome human interference in their lives. I wouldn't expect the wild dragons to be any more amenable to human interaction than that. Rather less, as dragons are not domesticated.

That said, this idea is not a "game breaker" for me. It just doesn't make sense to me.

Actually, you kinda speak for me, too, although I can see it being useful to people who don't want BSA dragons on their scrolls.

Not a biggie for me, if people want to use it, but pretty much what you said.

They're in the Wilderness because they were sent there by people, and it's nice that we can see them, but using them?

Edit: hi, AwesoMan30000 - unless things have changed, Wild dragon eggs that sometimes have shown up in the AP in the past (I believe TJ used to send in Wild-parented eggs at times when the AP was chronically empty, a situation no longer likely, lol) had Wild parents listed, along with a typically messy, random lineage.

(Although they were valued by many, due to their rarity.)

Edited by Syphoneira

The *only* way I'd be okay with "interacting with wilderness dragons" is if it was strictly for fun. Like the Magikarp's Splash. You could send one of your dragons out to be around wilderness dragons, and maybe get some text about their adventure or something.

I would not support ANYTHING that HELPS your scroll (using a wild dragon's BSA, breeding with them, etc) because these are simply NOT your dragons and you should NOT be able to force them to do those things. Seriously, your dragon would more often then not come back all beat up if they actually tried to mate or force help from a WILD dragon.

I do like the idea of befriending the wild dragons, as like others have said I tend to get bored when I'm locked for 6+hours. As much as I would like to utilize the hundreds of BSA dragons in the wilderness, that's just it. There are a ton, and setting limits on any particular dragon is pretty much pointless. I like it as a simple, fun idea to pass the time.

Though, if trophies are involved, I say we put a limit on how many you can interact with per day. If I was persistent (or had something I was procrastinating on tongue.gif) I could probably befriend at least 50 in a day. Maybe, if you try to go over the limit, the text could say something about you being too tired from trekking through the Wilderness and thinking it's time to head home.

I really, really love this idea. If we're dragon hunters and tamers anyway, why shouldn't we be able to potentially befriend the wild dragons that live in the wilderness? I'd love a little badge or trophy to show what a fantastic tamer I am. laugh.gif

We could, perhaps, have a little list associated with our account (e.g., http://dragcave.net/befriended/usernamehere) to show what dragons we've befriended, on a page similar to our scroll except without the name column.

I'll leave the setting limits and the failure percentages and the BSA debate to everyone else. I think this would add something new and interesting to the game, without changing any of the basic functions thereof.

Edited by LibbyLishly

Alright, I'm not sure how TJ would like people using BSAs of wild dragons, and even more with breeding, so I think I'll keep this to be a fun little activity to get a badge.

Another idea, maybe the more dragons you have, the easier it is to befriend, LibbyLishly does make a point. ^^

a nice idea. i would like to do it while i am waiting for eggs to hatch, and it will give me something more to do.... smile.gif

Alright, I'm not sure how TJ would like people using BSAs of wild dragons, and even more with breeding, so I think I'll keep this to be a fun little activity to get a badge.

Another idea, maybe the more dragons you have, the easier it is to befriend, LibbyLishly does make a point. ^^

^this

This keeps newbies from rapidly getting a gold badge. Or, whatever is highest ranking.

I think wild dragons using some sort of BSA should be taken off the table. I think even an inkling of this idea will get the entire process shelved. Once the basic idea is approved, people can always suggest enhancements.

Not all of my "wild" dragons left on bad terms. Dragons aren't domesticated cattle. They are feral wild large dangerous animals that for whatever reason made the choice to interact with a person. And many of us have ... what .... 1000 - 4000 dragons .... Honestly, how much quality time are you giving all those babies. Some of them are going to return to at least a semi feral state and some may just choose to wander or fall in love with another wild Dragon or want to leave. Not every Dragon on my scroll lives nearby. My island just isn't that big. And my GONs are usually out enforcing their beliefs on others. I rarely see them.

But I think anything that creates games, fun or inspiration for writing /roleplay is a great thing. Lots of people love riddles, puzzles, games, quests, information, or other forms of gaming beyond just hatching eggs. The variety is the only reward generally wanted. (Aside from little badges).

I would have to agree with the no BSA thing with wild dragons, it would make people feel obligated to find wild dragons, and could also be abused in a way. But the other ideas like it being a little game or puzzle, or some kind of mini-rp experience is awesome! I sometimes look at the wild dragons, but that's just all you can do with them. So having the possibility to befriend them and interact is really cool.

I just had a little idea of my own- what if when interacting with a wild dragon that happens to be a frozen hatchling you can have the option to "play". Like... I don't think adult dragons would be so eager to play but frozen hatchlings, at least in my mind, will always be hatchlings and have that hatchling mentality forever. They would probably be easier to befriend as well.

I think if we ever added a treasure hunting or scavenging or other item acquirementsystem, it would be great to allow wild Dragons to be part of this system.

Additionally, another game I played had a "rumor" system. Some of the info could be funny. (Those Thuwed Dragons are getting a little chunky from sitting around all day or .... Midas Dorkface was thinking of changing his name to Midas Doorface..... ) to things that just add to the mythos (The normally singular xxzz breed are starting to group together and get more aggressive towards outsiders, but no one is certain of the reason but I heard .....and then have Dragons randomly give one of a list of programmed reasons) to things that give clues about upcoming potential changes even if they aren't true. Like ..... Some of the WaterHorses are worried. A new algae infecting the local waters and are making them sick. But the worst part is the females are ignoring their eggs and Hatchlings and are chasing away the males. They are worried it make impact the upcoming breeding seasons .... or .... (like in relation to new releases ) .... There have been strange sightings of an unknown group of dragons. They only come out at night but someone swore they saw large horns protruding from their head or ...... one of my explorer buddies ran across a group of eggs they'd never seen before. They were a strange swirl of orange and purple. He only got a glimpse because the mother was returning and he didn't want to be caught ....

Or if we add a migration feature, or temporary changes in breeding of certain Commons ... a dragon could report the mints are having a harder time finding hunting grounds and may try exploring new areas to .... there is a new lizard that seems to have a taste for white eggs. It has destroyed most of the nests and the white Dragons were caught by surprise. They are trying to get aid but in the meantime, most of the eggs were destroyed. Very few survived .... or .... the Brimstones have started chasing away the smaller mints from their volcanoes. The mints are very upset and are seeking help from the Magma Dragons ....

Mostly its limitless I just wanted to list a variety of examples.

^^^ I would love to have more "tasks" or just...SOMETHING fun to do on DC than just hoard eggs or wait for the cooldown to end. Even if Dc isn't a "Pet site" what harm will it really do?