Tiki G

Imperial Fleshcrowne Bio

I was going to post this in the News thread, but I figured it might be a bit too big for that.

This is one of the first species I created and sprited, so a bit more time went into their behavior and such than some of my other requests.

Don't expect this for anything else I make. XP

Also, a big thanks to Imbecamiel for helping me bring them to life with that wonderful shading and color of yours. <3

Name:

'Imperial' comes from the fact that they have been popular "pets" of royal figures, given their pleasant demeanor and loyalty. 'Fleshcrowne' is just obvious and weird. But so am I. tongue.gif

My little nickname for them is Imps, mostly because I'm lazy. wink.gif

Habitat:

Imps are fairly adaptable and can live almost anywhere.

While they prefer the forest to live in the trees, communities have also been spotted high up in cliffs, near the ocean or, on mountains. They are most often seen in the forest or jungle.

When living in the Forest/Jungle, they seek out the most densly wooded areas, to better hide their young.

When living in Coastal/Alpine/Desert, they seek out areas with lots of hiding areas, such as (underground) caves.

Diet:

Imps usually eat berries and other vegetation, but they have been known to eat abandoned eggs and insects. They normally do not eat meat, but if hungry (or curious) enough they will eat almost anything.

Mating:

Despite their fear of fighting and being hunted, they are a bright vivid color, for their love of social activity is greater. When it comes time to mate, all of the adults get much more active than usual.

Males will perform intricate dances for the females (thus, his pose) and collect shiny objects for them. The male with the most impressive dance, and brightest colors, that collects the prettiest objects are the first to mate. They do not mate for life.

Behavior:

A large group of Imps is called a community. They usually live in large communities sometimes consisting of up to 100 individuals, and are never smaller than 20. Fleshcrownes do very poorly when alone. They become very depressed and their mental well-being quickly diminishes. They do best in large groups or at the very least, pairs. But even if it has come down to just a pair, they will often find other dragons to befriend, or at least follow around and pester. They thrive on a sense of community and are always willing to help each other. It is not uncommon to find other breeds of dragons living among them, as they are very friendly and will welcome anyone into a community. If one of their community is threatened, they will join together, raise their crowns, and all hiss, in attempt to ward off the potential threat. If all else fails, run and hide.

Their curiosity often gets the best of them, and they find themselves in tricky situations. They will venture into skunk dens or in a large birds nest while bored and are usually greeted by a not-so-happy occupant, who will then chase them out. Luckily, fleshcrownes are rather smart, and won't make the same mistake twice. But that doesn't stop them from venturing into a Grizzly Bear's den the next day if they've never seen one.

The only body markings they have are a few spots on either side of the hip. No two fleshcrowne have the same combination of spots. Their crowns are made from cartilage and skin, and they are able to raise and lower them at will. They raise them when excited, curious, or frightened. No one has ever seen a Fleshcrowne become angry. Most of the time, their crowns are raised, as they are always either happy or curious.

Although they are on the larger size for a tree dwelling creature, they are surprisingly lightweight to compensate for it. They aren't the best climbers, being rather clumsy a lot of the time, but when frightened or threatened, their instincts kick in and they can scale a large tree in a matter of seconds.

They don't do too well in the cold, and are not very active during winter. While they do not hibernate, they will only come out during the day to collect food. Although, young hatchlings love playing in the snow.

During the day, they will spend a large amount of time collecting food for each other. They store all of their food into a 'food bank', normally a large hollow tree, small cave, or sometimes even an abandoned groundhog or rabbit nest and the community will feed from it all year round.

Imperial Fleshcrownes are a very caring and nurturing breed of dragon. They all care for their young together, taking turns 'babysitting', feeding the young hatchlings or incubating the eggs. They prefer to lay their eggs in large nests throughout the trees, to deter predators from snatching their eggs.

Young Fleshcrownes are extremely playful. Hatchlings usually stick to one area, known as the nursery, with a few elder Fleshcrownes watching over them and will spend the whole day playing. It is rather amusing to watch a handful of young Fleshcrownes at play and one cannot resist becoming part of the fun. One of their favorite games is hide and seek. Even adult Fleshcrownes play this game, and they are experts at it. It can sometimes become a bit nerve wracking owning one, as they are always hiding and jumping out at you from their hiding spots to encourage you to play.

Physical:

One cannot tell easily the difference between males and females. Although, to the trained eye, it can be simpler. It is said that males have a wider head and shorter snout.

Imperials are roughly around hip height of the average adult human (while on all fours), and stand about as tall. They are relatively small compared to other dragons.

They communicate in purrs and clicks. At night, if one is standing near a community of Fleshcrownes, it will sound almost musical and they seem to go along with the sounds around them. They will almost sing each other to sleep every night.

Magic:

Imps are not capable of using magic. They are simple creatures that just like to have fun and enjoy the company of each other.

Thoughts on Biomes:

Originally, I don't believe they were supposed to be in all biomes (though I could be wrong as my memory is horrible) but seeing as I had all this info in their original Dragon Request thread, I suppose TJ thought it would be fun to take the "hide and seek" aspect of their fun-loving personality and implement that into Cave hunting, which I absolutely love. smile.gif

Thanks for this, Tiki! It's really interesting. biggrin.gif

I like the explanation of their communities, and the bit about their unique spots and their crowns. I like their size too; I love smaller dragons. Hide-and-seek, d'aww. wub.gif

(And congrats on becoming an in-cave spriter!)

Thank you, I love reading more detailed descriptions. biggrin.gif Will this be on the DC Wiki too?

Thank you, I love reading more detailed descriptions. biggrin.gif Will this be on the DC Wiki too?

If someone feels like putting it there. I don't know how to do the whole Wiki thing. XP

Originally, I don't believe they were supposed to be in all biomes (though I could be wrong as my memory is horrible) but seeing as I had all this info in their original Dragon Request thread, I suppose TJ thought it would be fun to take the "hide and seek" aspect of their fun-loving personality and implement that into Cave hunting, which I absolutely love. smile.gif</span>

Of course, he had to be the one who came up with that bit of dragon hunting. Though I find it odd that a dragon the size of a small shetland pony would play hide and seek even though they're bright yellow. laugh.gif

Of course, he had to be the one who came up with that bit of dragon hunting. Though I find it odd that a dragon the size of a small shetland pony would play hide and seek even though they're bright yellow. laugh.gif

I can picture them hiding among yellow sand dunes in the coast and desert biome, among yellow grass or behind bushes in the forest, behind giant trees in the jungle... can't think of a hiding place in the volcano and alpine biomes, maybe behind a large rock? xd.png

Lovely. thanks for the background info tikigurl91 . Based on that i have just named mine Curiosity and Hide n Seek

This is so awesome! I love when there's extra info on the dragons we have in cave! >.> I wish there was something like this for all the dragons. That'd be so great.

Hurray for the imps! More yellow dragons!!

Thank you for the very interesting info about them, Tiki, loved reading it! =) And of course congratulations on becoming an official in-cave spriter, it's about time more people got in-cave! wink.gif

I guess I was spot on when I decided on the surname 'the Imp" for my clan.

Thanks for the info and gratz on being a new in-cave artist!

Thanks for the further information on your Imperial "Imp" Fleshcrownes, tikigurl91!

You wrote "They do not mate for life."

But mine definitely will mate for life(sorry, I won't change my scroll's characteristic no matter what^^; ), like ALL of my dragons they will be in Draffection<3(at least... in mating habits).

(I'm glad it's not included in their official description, so I don't have to fight for adding my own description part to estate mine are differentxD Adding a description is a nightmare... ninja.gif )

(I hope you ain't mad!)

Edited by Aniusia483

I'm glad you all enjoy the extra info. smile.gif

You wrote "They do not mate for life."

But mine definitely will mate for life(sorry, I won't change my scroll's characteristic no matter what^^; ), like ALL of my dragons they will be in Draffection<3(at least... in mating habits).

(I'm glad it's not included in their official description, so I don't have to fight for adding my own description part to estate mine are differentxD Adding a description is a nightmare... ninja.gif )

(I hope you ain't mad!)

Well, that is mostly their 'wild behavior'. I imagine if they were "tamed" (as tame as our dragons can get) and given a mate to breed with, since we do pick our dragons' mates, then they'd be happy to stick with that mate. But without human influence, in their natural habitat, they do not have life-long mates.

Wonderful bio! I love getting more detailed info about the dragons on my scroll.

Also - my new OTP: Frill/Fleshcrowne