zaverxi

Lineage Pages

How's this idea?  

23 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I did a search and didn't notice any similar threads to this, but if there are, I apologize. I went back 5 pages in the search results and didn't see anything.

Anyway, I read a recent couple posts in regards to the new 'lineage view' that makes some dragons show up with the tiny picture and then the name, and noticed many people are displeased with it, so I decided to come up with another option. I posted about this in a different thread, but it seemed better for it to be a topic all its own.

Similar to how the scroll is now, with setting a certain amount of dragons per 'page', set up lineages to show a specific range. Say, for instance, you have a 15th gen dragon. Now, usually Dragcave stops at 13, causing you to have to click on the highest gen shown and look at that one's lineage to see the rest.

From what I've seen, this new lineage viewer makes the highest gen the tiny picture and text to the right of it, and a 12th gen shows the last two with this, which stretches out the page uselessly.

So my idea is this.

Set up the lineage viewer so you see a 'range' of gens. Take that 15th generation dragon, and set it to 5 gens per page. The first one you see is 15 through 11, and page 2, 10 through 6, and page 3, 5 through CB. There will still be vertical stretching, but it's easier by far to scroll down than it is to scroll over and not see the whole thing. And with 5 gens shown per 'page', you can still see the section you want. Even if the dragons have long names like some people prefer to give them, they would still fit. And if, say, you have a 6th gen and don't want it to be like that, give an option like on the scroll(referring to the sorting method one, not the 'breeding' 'BSA' one) to set it to 'view all' or whatever.

This will make it easier for people working on lineage projects to see what they need to continue it. And being able to set how many gens should be possible too. Heck, setting it to one gen per page could even work, though that's probably not the best idea if you're trying to look at offspring.

And if people can turn it off entirely in the account settings, they can have that option too.

Opinions?

I'd say no need to turn it off, just have the maximum number per page be the current maximum lineage length shown. That would allow the ENTIRE lineage to be available, since the rest would be on the next page [and the next? x3 ]

I would rather not have lineages break into separate pages at all. I'd prefer to see the whole lineage on a page that scrolls horizontally and vertically.

And I don't think we've been able to see 13 gens on a page for a couple of years. It only shows 12 gens for me, and has been that way for some time.

Edited by dragongrrl

I think that having multiple options might be better, like a choice between what we have now and what you're suggesting to start. Not every computer can handle the entire lineage on a single page, but having it as an option might be convenient for some people.

The problem with showing the entire lineage on a single page is the current length maximum already results in lineages that are rather impossible to follow, especially if you're on a smaller screen.

I think the best compromise is what I posted above [using the pages to allow people to see the whole lineage, with people able set the number of gens per page] combined with the ability to choose if you want the new compression at the end of the lineage. I personally like it, since it allows larger lineages to be more viewable, but since some obviously don't the best solution is to make it optional.

Especially since more and more people are going mobile, and can't look at more than a small section of the lineage at the time. There's the option in Account Settings for choosing what number of dragons you show on your pages, where you type in how many. And typing more than the max can be shown, which is 12-13(I might have miscounted but I was pretty certain it used to be 13 until these new changes happened) would result in the same view as it's always been for those who don't want to change it.

I don't have a massive screen, and do need to scroll through for the large even gens now, but please don't break them into separate pages. I do feel sorry for those playing on phones, but please, don't take the larger lineages away!

This is going to totally destroy some lineages I had planned out for the next several years.

If you'll pay attention you'll see that you'd be able to keep your view the same. Or are you set on controlling on how others view your lineages?

Edited by Pokemonfan13

Can it be set to 20 gens, or fifty, on a page?

I don't want to lose the twelve gen view we currently have, and I'm hating the current change which is destroying the first and second gen views.

I should just get off the Forum because the new changes are just too depressing.

That's up to TJ. I personally think what's likely is a maximum that is our current maximum, but hopefully the entire lineage [including what is currently hidden] would be available through the pages.

And since the new compaction at the base of long lineages seems to be controversial, the ability to choose if you want it the new way or the old way would be a great addition.

Edited by Pokemonfan13

I also don't really like the new change, especially since nothing was said about it beforehand. It just... happened. The smaller pictures I'm ok with, but not the fact that the names are moved to the side, stretching it out pointlessly. So an option for that and how it was originally would also be great. Customizing the view to make it easier to understand sounds like a great idea.

I like the new system for large lineages [i've got, I think the person who gave it to me said it's 9th gen, lineage that the compression helps the viewability a lot] but today I viewed some prize lineages and felt that it kicked in way too early. It might have been good for that gen for a pyramid, but for a stairstep/spiral it was completely unnecessary, even with a netbook screen. So one question would be if it's possible for it to detect what KIND of lineage it is and do things accordingly.

I'd suggest adding a suggestion to allow choice as to the compression of lineages into the OP so this side discussion isn't offtopic. x3 Since you agree with the idea.

Do not support. I like that you are coming up with options; I just do not want the lineages broken into different pages.

Like some others here, I am not happy with the new lineage view. I do not like the smaller photos nor the name placement.

I would rather the lineage view be returned to how it was, and just scroll horizontally or vertically to view.

If there is a second option, I would ask that TJ enable the viewing of the mobile interface on desktop. The mobile interface is much cleaner for lineages and is easier to scroll.

I think I prefer the classic view over this new suggestion too, but the great thing about the new suggestion is that it's a user setting. I don't care if you make lineages display all the dragons upside down and in grayscale as long as it's an optional user setting! THE best way for this site to move forward, in my opinion, is by offering greater scroll customizability. I understand that leaving everything exactly the way it is would make the site stagnant and diminish interest in the game, but randomly changing the look of scrolls that people have spent years building is going to drive off loyal older players, which isn't good either. The solution is to offer both the "improved" version and the "classic" version as options on the settings page. Win-win! Look how popular the different scroll sorting options are. Different lineage display options would be equally good for the game.

This proposal is a really good step in that direction. I don't have anything against the pagination idea or even the horizontally-stretched update we got today, but the classic view should still be included as a playable option for the many users who find it more aesthetic.

As long as we are discussing proposed user settings, I would like to suggest an opt-out to the new setting, so that we can default to the old setting.

Edited by missy_

I just do not want the lineages broken into different pages.

Lineages have always been able to go over more than one page - we could only ever see 12 gens on one page. I have several longer lines than that.

I am STILL hoping for scrolling across all generations - even though Sock hates me for that xd.png

Edited by fuzzbucket

I agree with that, actually. I'm not one to want permanent changes like that, since there's always going to be someone who doesn't like it no matter how reasonable it seems to everyone else. The scroll is customizable a lot all ready, there's no reason it couldn't be further changeable.

Lineages have always been able to go over more than one page - we could only ever see 12 gens  on one page. I have several longer lines than that.

I am STILL hoping for scrolling across all generations - even though Sock hates me for that xd.png

On my mobile device, there is only one page.

That is what I mean about asking TJ to allow desktop users to see the mobile interface.

On my mobile device, there is only one page.

That is what I mean about asking TJ to allow desktop users to see the mobile interface.

What - for 24 gens, for instance ? Does it scroll ?

I don't like how the names are now on the side, it looks stupid. I'd prefer them to be below a NORMAL sized image and to turn word wrap on so that the table cell can be as small as possible, so you can see more of the lineage. Allowing 'word wrap' would help a LOT because it wouldn't stretch out the page so much.

I'd also prefer that the ENTIRE lineage be available on a SINGLE page, even if it means horizontal scrolling. Tho if that isn't feasible, I'd at least like markers to show which dragons continue the lineage beyond the first page.

There also ought to be a way to standardize the cells on the table. My personal lineage pages that I build myself are no where near as messy as those generated by the cave, as you can see here.. http://lady_cin.tripod.com/projects/projectEvenGenStripe.htm

I don't know what TJ is doing different, but tables can be customized in many different ways, so there is no reason for them to be so sloppy.

I don't like how the names are now on the side, it looks stupid. I'd prefer them to be below a NORMAL sized image and to turn word wrap on so that the table cell can be as small as possible, so you can see more of the lineage. Allowing 'word wrap' would help a LOT because it wouldn't stretch out the page so much.

I'd also prefer that the ENTIRE lineage be available on a SINGLE page, even if it means horizontal scrolling. Tho if that isn't feasible, I'd at least like markers to show which dragons continue the lineage beyond the first page.

There also ought to be a way to standardize the cells on the table. My personal lineage pages that I build myself are no where near as messy as those generated by the cave, as you can see here.. http://lady_cin.tripod.com/projects/projectEvenGenStripe.htm

I don't know what TJ is doing different, but tables can be customized in many different ways, so there is no reason for them to be so sloppy.

Sloppy's the word, for sure. sad.gif

ETA: I honestly don't see the point of breeding lineages higher than 5th gen if the current lineage view sticks. And that's a huge shame, since breeding a big even-gen lineages mops up a *lot* of dragons. But there's no point in putting in all that hard work, time and effort if the end result isn't pleasing to the eye.

Edited by Amazon_warrior

What - for 24 gens, for instance ? Does it scroll ?

Woops. Just double-checked this and it is only showing 12 gens now. (...?)

They are not nearly as clickable as they were previously as the icons are soooo tiny.

It does scroll within the page, but not beyond, And not all gens like I thought I remembered.

At any rate, lineages look very clean on the mobile interface ... with the stipulation that I do not like the new format! But the interface itself is very easy to maneuver.

Woops. Just double-checked this and it is only showing 12 gens now. (...?)

They are not nearly as clickable as they were previously as the icons are soooo tiny.

It does scroll within the page, but not beyond, And not all gens like I thought I remembered.

At any rate, lineages look very clean on the mobile interface ... with the stipulation that I do not like the new format! But the interface itself is very easy to maneuver.

It always had been just 12 to a page in the cave - that's why I was so surprised by what you said...

It always had been just 12 to a page in the cave - that's why I was so surprised by what you said...

I thought I remembered Tackleberry's full lineage being shown on one page, before he became a deadline. Perhaps it was less than 12 gens? No point showing his lineage here as it only goes back three generations now. xd.png

I would rather see all the lineage (especially if someone is making a lineage for aesthetics such as a rainbow lineage) displayed as normal/small icons with the names shortened--such as you see on your desktop where the name is longer than the icon.

For example,

( ICON )

Shally...

( ICON )

Midas...

( ICON )

Capy...

etc. The full name isn't always something people need to see unless you click on it. Or simply, hover over the dragon's name to expand.