NekoTheNecromancer

Dragon Cave Time

'Ello, all! I'm pretty sure there isn't a thread like this before anywhere, but if there is I'll delete this one.

Basically, this thread is to show you how to calculate how old your dragons and your account is in the Dragcave universe. Why? Because I've got time to waste waiting for my hatchies and eggs to grow up. Let's begin!

[Note: I know our dragons all grow up at different times according to the time meters, but for this we will pretty much just round out everything]

First of all, let's examine the information on dragons given to us by our dragon descriptions.

"Dragons are creatures with nearly unlimited life spans. They can survive for long periods of time, and no one has found a dragon that has died of old age. Adolescence is usually marked by the growth of a hatchling’s wings, although not all breeds of dragons grow wings and some breeds have other traits that indicate the beginning of maturation. Once they hit adolescence, hatchlings change quickly, maturing to their full forms in only 2 years."

So we now now that it takes 2 years for a dragon to grow up, right? Well, from our dragcave timers, we also know that it takes about a week for an egg to hatch and about a week for a hatchling to grow into an adult. That means that our real time of 2 weeks is equivalent to 2 years in the dragcave universe, which means that every week that passes on Earth passes a year on Dragcave.

Now let's get specific! By average, there is 27 days in a month, there is 12 months in a year, and there is 24 hours in a day. If we want to find out how long a day of earth time is on drag cave, we'll have to divide it a few times.

12/7= 1.714 months

27/7= 3.857 days

24/9= 2.66666667 hours

So.... what does that mean? It means that one day on Earth is equivalent to

1 month 3 day and 3 hours

of dragcave time.

How is this useful? Well, my oldest dragon was stolen on Aug 26, 2010. The current date is June 26, 2013. So that means that my oldest dragon is 1036 days old in real time. Do the math and my dragon is about 96yrs old.

Now go have fun calculating things' ages in dragcave time and post your strange findings here! Go wild and calculate the age of your favorite cup that you got for your 9th birthday!

If anybody needs help with the calculations I'll be happy to do them for you. *Pokes her eggs*

I'm guessing my dragon, Iris Fantasy, is 244 years old according to DC if I did my math right...

She was stolen on October 22, 2008. I suppose I figure out how many days she's been on my scroll and then divide it by 7 since a week=a year.

That's pretty cool. And I am almost 1,000 years old. xd.png

My oldest dragon has been on my scroll for about 3 years and 9 weeks, that is 165 weeks, so if one week is one year he is 165 years old.

But if I understand it correctly, it doesn't take two years to go from egg to adult. It says it takes two years to go from adolescent to adult.

So the two years in the description are the time it takes a s2 hatchling to grow into an adult and that is not one week but rather something between 1 and 2 days. Isn't it? unsure.gif

So the dragon mentioned above would be... if I take 1.5 days as a two-year-span for simplicity's sake... 1544 years old I think?

Edited by dustpuppy

ohmy.gif Well... If you put it that way... Doesn't that mean it takes 4 years for a dragon to grow up? Because if it takes one week(According to our timers) for a hatchling to mature, and that is 2 years, then one could say that since that is 2 years and the equation is the same for the egg....it would be 4 years? In that case one would simply have to double the previous outcome for my dragon, making Areomancer 192 years old? This is starting to get way more confusing....

Edit:

Add further more, we have no idea how long "dragon years" are(in relation to human, cat, and dog years). I suppose that doesn't really matter though. Of course we could figure it out by saying that since as far as I'm going right now it takes 4 years for a dragon to mature and humans are legally adults(at least in america) at age 18 then... uggg this is soo confusing now xd.png

Edited by NekoTheNecromancer

One of my oldest dragons, Xagarith, hatched on Feb. 14, 2008. That was 4 years, 4 months, and 11 days ago. 4 years (365*4) + 132 days (Feb. 14 to Jun. 26) + 2 days ('08 and '12 were leap years) comes to 1594 days. Assuming that the week to year ratio is 1:1, then 1594/7 means that this lady is a little more than 227.5 years old.

Once they hit adolescence, hatchlings change quickly, maturing to their full forms in only 2 years."

Your calculation misses a very important part there - the two years is the shortest possible time between hitting adolescence (maturin) and growing up.

So you would need to use a whole different factor (as the time between maturation and growing up can literally be mere minutes).

Another way to calculate would be the info tthat mating occured every 200 years and can last up to 2 years (old Pink description). Since breeding CD is a week, this would mean 200 years DC equals 1 week RL, so roughly 10400 years DC for every year in RL. Which in turn would mean I'm about 50,000 years DC wise blink.gif

Well that might be a bit much, but I still think your calculation is off in the other direction wink.gif

Edit for typos.

Edited by herk

I think my brain is going to explode if I think about it anymore tonight, I'll figure this out in the morning with an edit to this post. Thanks for all fixes on my calculations, I'll stare at them more in the morning, I promise. blink.gif

It takes 3 days for an egg to hatch.

It takes at least 1 day for a hatchie to gender, and another 2 days for it to grow into an adult.

So that makes its egg to adulthood time around 6 days, at least.

"Once they hit adolescence, hatchlings change quickly, maturing to their full forms in only 2 years."

So, if it takes at least 2 days for a gendered hatchie to grow into an adult, would that make each day equal to one year in DC time?

Real time for Scurry, my oldest: 704 days

Based on Neko's math in the first post (I think), this should make him 25,344 days old, or roughly 69 1/2 years old.

My brain is made of grammar and punctuation and thinking about this math much more is going to hurt me. xd.png