cyradis4

Put hatchies first in AP

Which do you support?  

281 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

i say push the hatchies up hatchies are always higher priority than eggs especially since they will mature before an egg does

Yep, hatchies are escaping into the Wild in good numbers. Proof:

http://dragcave.net/lineage/TBeGy

I abandoned that dragon when it was at about 5d 12h or so as an egg, when the new release came in. And as you can see, it's got a fabulous lineage. Had it hit the AP even once, it would have been kept.

And yes, it was in fansites when I abandoned it.

In fact, I suspect almost all of the eggs abandoned as a result of the new release ended up in the Wilderness without even hitting the AP once. Which is a real shame, because such eggs are usually the best.

Cheers!

C4.

Similar story with this egg: http://dragcave.net/lineage/lmNbZ Bred it on the 8th before I realized the release was going on. Dropped it to the AP to make room and now it's wild. I think I'll do some breeding and dropping today to see if it happens to all of my eggs or if these are just random flukes.

Edited by diannethegeek

Similar story with this egg: http://dragcave.net/lineage/lmNbZ Bred it on the 8th before I realized the release was going on. Dropped it to the AP to make room and now it's wild. I think I'll do some breeding and dropping today to see if it happens to all of my eggs or if these are just random flukes.

Please be sure to note if they were put into a fansite before you dropped them.

Cheers!

C4.

Following up with my own experiment.

On July 18 I bred and AP'ed 11 eggs. 7 went into hatcheries before being dumped and 4 did not. They are all at or around 3 days on their egg page and do not appear to have hit the AP yet. None of them are gaining views. I've specifically added several of them to more hatchies to try and force them to hatch and they haven't received a single view from those hatcheries.

It looks to me like a silent change has been made to keep AP eggs from gaining views while they're in the queue.

As TJ says, how does that happen other than on release days? The AP is time sorted, and the vast majority of the time the eggs are above 4 days, so a time sorted AP would show the hatchling before it was old enough to grow up. The only way that would happen without a glitch would be for it to be sent to the wild before it grew up.

The vast majority of the eggs are actually considerably below 4 days- the time shown in the AP is the same as the time the egg will have when it's picked up (which includes the extra day for being abandoned), not the egg's actual time before being taken. You can see this for yourself by copying several abandoned eggs' unique codes without picking them up and pasting it to a View page- only those eggs which have been taken and then re-abandoned will show the same time as the AP indicates.

Because their actual times are around 3-something days rather than 4-something, an egg receiving a continuous supply of views can hatch before it ever becomes viewable to users. If the resulting hatchling continues to get viewed, it can likewise grow up and run away to the wilderness before dropping into the AP queue.

I don't believe that this is happening en masse as some people here have suggested- outside of deliberately targeting an egg for viewbombing, I'm pretty sure this can only happen if people are careless about adding and removing eggs from fansites- but unless the extra day is supposed to be added earlier than it actually is, this is no glitch.

It looks to me like a silent change has been made to keep AP eggs from gaining views while they're in the queue.

I think you're right. I had an accidental mis-breed that I *wanted* to go wild, so I added it to a couple of fansites before I abandoned it. It did not gain any views while in the queue and is now on a scroll.

I voted for Both together.

I REALLY hope we can see all the hatchies in the AP as soon as they appear.

Firstly, this prevents hatchies from going to the wild when nobody wants this to happen.

Secondly, this reduces backlog. It is not very likely that any hatchie will stay in the front page of the AP for a minute before getting snatched up, but if they are kept in backlog they just add unnecessary load to the server for days.

Thirdly, the current situation makes some people's efforts of trying to reduce the AP load meaningless. The Evil Project is an example - people pick up eggs in the AP to hatch and then throw the hatchies back, making them more desireable to other users. But this is only useful to the old AP when a hatchie shows up the instant someone abandons it.

Edited by love_HP

That's a partial relief! Thanks for sharing your observation; thanks also to prpldrgnfr for confirming it! smile.gif

I'm assuming we still can't abandon hatchlings that have enough views to mature to adults without any further views, though. Does anyone want to test that?

Just checked on a hatchie I bred and abandoned when it misgendered. It is now in the wild, as an adult. So they're still escaping if they have sufficient views and an extra day.

Hm, mixed feelings about this. On the one hand, hearing that hatchlings are escaping to the wilderness is pretty lame. On the other, I've been rather enjoying the constant flow of hatchlings into the AP, and the idea of a feast-then-famine scenario in which we have a week of hatchlings and then get them only very rarely doesn't sound appealing. What if, instead, only certain hatchlings were listed first in the AP--those who had hit the S2 stage, or those who had fallen below, say, 4d 12h? I know TJ can code Holiday eggs to drop first regardless of time, so hopefully something like that would be possible. It'd keep almost all hatchlings from going into the wilderness while also allowing a constant flow of them into the AP.

As for the time adding thing--yes, unless an egg is ER status (under three days), they really don't need to have time added.

(Thanks for catching my misplaced post PF, ehehe!)

Edited by angelicdragonpuppy

Hm, mixed feelings about this. On the one hand, hearing that hatchlings are escaping to the wilderness is pretty lame. On the other, I've been rather enjoying the constant flow of hatchlings into the AP, and the idea of a feast-then-famine scenario in which we have a week of hatchlings and then get them only very rarely doesn't sound appealing. What if, instead, only certain hatchlings were listed first in the AP--those who had hit the S2 stage, or those who had fallen below, say, 4d 12h? I know TJ can code Holiday eggs to drop first regardless of time, so hopefully something like that would be possible. It'd keep almost all hatchlings from going into the wilderness while also allowing a constant flow of them into the AP.

As for the time adding thing--yes, unless an egg is ER status (under three days), they really don't need to have time added.

(Thanks for catching my misplaced post PF, ehehe!)

I think putting the hatchies below a certain time just doesn't sound like something TJ would do, though personally I have nothing against it.

And I don't think that if hatchies are put first in the AP, after the hatchlings in the backlog are taken we'll have so few hatchies as you may think (at least not with the current AP egg situation).

My idea is: with all those ERable AP eggs, some people may just pick up those eggs, hatch them, and throw them back to the AP; they may do it out of boredom, enjoying the process of hatching eggs, can't resist the desire to hatch anything available for ER, or trying to reduce the AP backlog (I know will do the hatch-and-abandon definitely).

At 2am my mind may be working wrong...hope you get the idea tongue.gif

I say just put the hatchlings out first since those get picked up rather quickly either way. No matter what the time left they usually get snatched up once they hit the AP.

Bumping this because either the thing that prevents AP stuff from getting views was removed or it doesn't affect hatchlings or it never existed. I was hatching AP eggs and abandoning the hatchlings. To test I didn't remove one from the sites I used to ER it and it continued to gain views and grew up and became a wild dragon. This is still a problem.

Bumping this because either the thing that prevents AP stuff from getting views was removed or it doesn't affect hatchlings or it never existed. I was hatching AP eggs and abandoning the hatchlings. To test I didn't remove one from the sites I used to ER it and it continued to gain views and grew up and became a wild dragon. This is still a problem.

Do you think it is actually growing up in the AP, or that someone grabs it, it grows up, then immediately releases it? I've been having more instances of grabbing a hatchling and it growing up the second it hits my scroll, if someone grabbed a hatching that turned out to not be what they wanted. It just boggles me somewhat, if it had enough to grow up, why did it wait to grow up until I had it on my scroll(it was 3days 18hours or something similar, meaning that it COULD have grown up)

I've seen some nice dragons I thought would make someone happy when I dropped them to the AP show as Wild dragons on their parent's baby-pages.

Why shouldn't hatchies show up first in the AP?

It doesn't seem logical that they wouldn't... not to mention the waste...

Do you think it is actually growing up in the AP, or that someone grabs it, it grows up, then immediately releases it?  I've been having more instances of grabbing a hatchling and it growing up the second it hits my scroll, if someone grabbed a hatching that turned out to not be what they wanted.  It just boggles me somewhat, if it had enough to grow up, why did it wait to grow up until I had it on my scroll(it was 3days 18hours or something similar, meaning that it COULD have grown up)

It would have had to have gotten down to 2 days something for someone to be able to grab it, with the added day. It grew up close to 3 days 23 hours.

Edited by Pokemonfan13

It would have had to have gotten down to 2 days something for someone to be able to grab it, with the added day.  It grew up close to 3 days 23 hours.

That is what I am saying. If it grew up the moment it hit my scroll, why was it not able to grow up in the AP? If when it hit my scroll at 3day 18hour, wouldn't it have been MORE likely to grow up when it was actually 2day 18hour?

I have also had this happen to eggs, if that helps anything.

Edited by Nectaris

That is what I am saying. If it grew up the moment it hit my scroll, why was it not able to grow up in the AP? If when it hit my scroll at 3day 18hour, wouldn't it have been MORE likely to grow up when it was actually 2day 18hour?

I have also had this happen to eggs, if that helps anything.

Honestly, now I'm just confused. This is what I know:

—Eggs that go to the AP can still get views.

—Hatchlings that go to the AP can still get views.

—I've had some cases where AP hatchlings grow up the second they hit my scroll. I've had MORE cases of AP hatchlings needing to be put in multiple ERs for several hours before they grow up. Not every AP hatchling will turn to adult right away.

—And yet, there are way more eggs than hatchlings.

I can only assume that the majority of the backlog that is receiving views somehow—especially if the donator wanted to make sure it didn't die—are hatching, gendering, and growing up without ever, ever being seen.

Which is a shame. :B

No, my point is that with the AP in its current state it would have had to have reached 2 days 15 hours to even be seen. And it grew up close to its normal growing time. I would have noticed an extra day of wait.

Yeah. A few people have done experiences and enough people have reported on this. If hatchlings have enough views to grow up when they hit time, they will, and are sent to the wilderness. No confirmation from TJ, but with so many people watching this, I do believe it is correct.

~

Yes to both of these! The backlog is just so big and eggs need more and more time to reach the AP, and there's just not a lot of hope abandoning that hatchie as a nice surprise actually reaching someone's scroll. And the extra day is really just superfluous at this time, IMO (except perhaps for like less than a day old dragons).

Yeah. A few people have done experiences and enough people have reported on this. If hatchlings have enough views to grow up when they hit time, they will, and are sent to the wilderness. No confirmation from TJ, but with so many people watching this, I do believe it is correct.

~

Yes to both of these! The backlog is just so big and eggs need more and more time to reach the AP, and there's just not a lot of hope abandoning that hatchie as a nice surprise actually reaching someone's scroll. And the extra day is really just superfluous at this time, IMO (except perhaps for like less than a day old dragons).

And this is all so SAD *sobs*

I think a simple change would be to make it impossible for eggs to hatch or hatchies to grow while on the AP. They might hatch or grow instantly as soon as they hit a scroll if they have enough views.

Ideally both no views and no growth. No views isn't enough because someone might abandon a hatchling with enough views to grow before it ever hits the front of the AP. No growth isn't enough because someone might have it in too many fansites before they abandoned it and it gets sick and dies.

So why don't hatchies, which have lower time than eggs, simply appear first on the AP?

This doesn't seem to make any sense...

Ideally both no views and no growth. No views isn't enough because someone might abandon a hatchling with enough views to grow before it ever hits the front of the AP. No growth isn't enough because someone might have it in too many fansites before they abandoned it and it gets sick and dies.

*Scratches head* I'm not sure how to word this…

If nothing was able to grow on the AP, the backlog would only have one way of getting smaller: people picking things up. There's already a backlong big enough to get to the point where everything displayed is ER.

I am a little concerned that it would reach the point where there are just so many ER eggs (due to none of them hatching) that even with people picking up dozens of ER eggs, there are still too many to save, and it overwhelms the AP to the point where the eggs get super ER and die shortly after getting onto a scroll. Kind of an opposite version of some of the hatchlings now, where they grow up immediately: instead, you end up with eggs that die since you can't get enough views to hatch them in time.