I now have a ten gallon with two otos and four rasboras. I'll be putting my half moon beta in in a few days. It's a planted tank with soil and a sand cap.

I used to have a few guppies, then they all died, and I replaced them with tetras. Then I forgot about them. They survived about a month with no food somehow.

We used to have a few goldfish and a betta...Norwegian salmon tastes delicious xd.png

We had a goldfish pond in a house we rented for a couple of years, but mom said no to an aquarium when we moved. She said the dogs would have to do and then my dad's boss gave him 2 cats( dad hates cats) so no fish. Those 2 cats were great hunters.

I always had fish as a kid. Bettas died far too quickly so I eventually got a larger tank with a few goldfish and these two things that I don't remember the name of. They were algae eaters, but under two inches long. I named them Otto and Cinco because that's what their name sounded like to an 8-year old kid. I can't figure out what they were now, though. >.<

That group lasted me about 4 years and then when they all died I didn't get any more fish. But my younger sister got a betta... who lived almost 8 years. That was shocking to me, considering mine died like flies.

I don't own fish any more as coudln't water change them properly with back problems but in the day I got seriously into fish keeping.

I adore pufferfish and my love of fish started one day in a pet store when saw pygmy puffers, 3 of those babies came home with me and then the rest was history.

I kept multitude of fish including range of puffer exotics: pygmy, mirius, fahaka, hairy puffer, green spotted. My dream was and will always be a porcupine.

I also fell in love with betta splendens and had some pedigree imports as well as ended up becoming a retirement home for a breeder friend. Corydoras were beloved also and had luck in breeding pygmy and coppers smile.gif Oh and guppies but they blooming breed themselves!

Smallest tank was a 5g, largest was a 110g for the then baby fahaka - sadly I my back could not cope with water changes even with some weird/wonderful inventions.

My favourite and stroppiest betta that started my love of them was Calcifer who was a crowntail with pink body blending to blue and then red tips, my last betta was a black and white dalmation crowntail called Sterling.

The fahaka which I adored and rehomed local aquarium to visit often was called Nooki lol. He was absolutely amazing and truly a water puppy. If anyone needs tips drop me a line especially if you are considering a freshwater or brackish puffer - I have some life saving tips when it comes to them having learned the hard way with one.

EDIT: So jealous of your marine tank Odeen! Now with hubby if ever able to get a tank and cope marine it would be.

Further edit: If ever won lottery and but a house with sturdy concere floors and afford someone to do main maintenance totally get a freshwater ray tank

Edited by lilacamy931

I named them Otto and Cinco because that's what their name sounded like to an 8-year old kid. I can't figure out what they were now, though. >.<

Otoccinclus catfish. I love those little guys! Been using them in every tank I've had that's been less than 50 gallons due to the fact that they don't outgrow it. Too many people insist on using Chinese Algae Eaters, not realizing that they only eat algae in their juvenile stage and once they reach adulthood they become carnivorous censorkip.gif***s that will happily consume the smaller fish in your tank without hesitation. And plecostomuses get too big (had one that reached 20" in my 80 gallon).

Used to breed betta splendens for extra money when I was below the poverty line (and gerbils as well). Had a lovely solid gold strain going that the local pet stores consumed like cookies. Just some selective inbreeding for two generations, and I managed to get all of the red and blue out of 'em and leave nothing but long gold fins with a solid gold body. Absolutely lovely. Then I managed to get them with some crowntails (could never get those pure - always had blue edging on the scales and tips on the fins, but they were lovely all the same) prior to joining the military and leaving my breeding projects behind.

Also did small whiskey barrel ponds with a single goldfish, a pond made out of a xerox paper box and a trash bag where I kept paradise fish, a few 5 gallons with assorted fish and fiddler crabs, a 5 gallon microreef tank (absolutely LOVELY marine setup until the A/C in the apartment died and it broiled in the afternoon sun), a 10 gallon tank I lopped in half with a piece of plexiglass and made into a half-marine, half-fresh tank with cichlids and damsels who'd fight each other all day long through their divider, and a couple of 20 gallons, one of which was used for juvenile discus (most lovely fish ever).

My 80 gallon and my 30 gallon vertical hex aquariums are all I have now (I've made the Navy move them multiple times, and they've arrived without issue every time amazingly enough). The 30 is a community tank with assorted tetras, some guppies and a cory cat in it (took a lot of gravel flushing to get it running correctly, considering I'm using the same stuff I used at my last duty station when it was a reef aquarium). The 80 got the same treatment - last station, it was a marine tank with a humo rectangle triggerfish and a few damsels. Now the 80 is a yellow cichlid tank with a stupidly prolific breeding population and plenty of death and destruction every time a new pair forms (but hey, it's nature, so I'm not going to interfere. I've never had to worry about restocking my tank, and in fact cull it regularly due to extreme overcrowding thanks to breeding).

When I finally get my 'forever house', the hubby and I have already agreed to building our kitchen service counter as a 500-700 gallon tank (going to make that one a 'fish-only' marine tank), converting the 80 gallon we have now into a discus tank, and building a 3000 gallon pond in the back yard (I want 5 koi. 3000 gallons seems like a nice size for 'em).

Needless to say... I'm an aquarium junkie. smile.gif

Otoccinclus catfish. I love those little guys! Been using them in every tank I've had that's been less than 50 gallons due to the fact that they don't outgrow it. Too many people insist on using Chinese Algae Eaters, not realizing that they only eat algae in their juvenile stage and once they reach adulthood they become carnivorous censorkip.gif***s that will happily consume the smaller fish in your tank without hesitation. And plecostomuses get too big (had one that reached 20" in my 80 gallon).

Oh goodness, thank you so much! That's definitely them. I've been totally at a loss as to what they were for so long now, and I was really wanting to figure it out. Those guys were fabulous. xd.png

I have 3 bettas (halfmoon doubletail, marble crowntail, giant plakat) and three neon tetras. I know the tetras should have more, but we lost some of the school a while back and are waiting for the rest to go so we can divide the tank for more bettas.

I've got two awesome betta fish, Jackie Chan and Little Friend :>

Little friend is blue bodied with white and purple on his tips, Jackie is bright red/orange with blue dragonscale patterns on his sides and tail!

I started betta owning 9 months ago, and sadly my first one Stelio died because I did not do proper research before I got him. Now both of my tanks are cycled and heated and healthy and so are my fish! I can't wait, some day I'm going to start a cute community tank with some Mollies and maybe swordtails cuz I love those things <3

Oh gosh how could I forget my two little shrimps ? xd.png I bought them on Ebay advertised as Blue Pearl shrimp but they definitely aren't blue now...they're a weird yellow/greenish tint now that they're older? They arrived teeny tiny and almost see through and were blue for a while, dunno what happened haha! I still do not have names for them...One is a bigger size compared to the other. My vote was for Rocky and Bullwinkle but it was turned down by my Significant Other, but I might call them that in private since I kinda like it ;P

My favourite fish to eat is tuna.

Although my last fish I owned as a pet was a gorgeous ruby-coloured betta fish.

I've actually been wondering if there were any other serious aquarists on here...

I have two betta in a divided ten gallon (heated and cycled of course), two goldfish in a 55 gallon (yes they need that much space OTL) and an Axolotl which admittedly is not a fish per se but it is aquatic.

I have to get a new hood for my tank.....the light system burnt out on it!!!

Update: I have a new smaller tank now. It has a bubbler with built in LED lights...

I have a 65g community tank which houses:

- 15 Guppy/Endler Hybrids

- 3 Silver Angels

- 6 Kuhlis (5 P.kuhlii & 1 P.oblonga)

- 3 Emperor Tetra

- 3 bristlenose catfish (1m/2f)

- 1 Clown Loach

- 1 Buenos Aires Tetra

- 10 malaysian trumpet snails

Yes, I know; weird stocking list. The reason is that I "inherited" (ok, took over) it from my dad.... But I would like to get rid of the guppies & get some more emperor tetras, kuhlis. Adding rummynose tetras & corydoras would be nice too. smile.gif

What it looked like before I got to it (minus the angels & the tub full of "tester" sand):

user posted image

Anyway, here what it looks like now:

user posted image

I have an enigma.... I name the fish Methusalah. The little fish is barely an inch long, lives in a heavily neglected 1.5 heavily planted tank. Seems ot be a fair balance between plant and snail life. It's eco complete black sand with mud core (likely why the plants have thrived so long). No filtration. The Algae gets removed periodically.

The fish is a Celestial Pearl Danio that I bred myself, so I know its approximate age late 2008 - I can't seem to find my photos of when it hatched. I put 6 into the tank and over the years they either carpet surfed or died.

So for months the tank looked empty of all life but snails and thick plants. I let the water evaporate... then filled it up when I worried my plants dry out. the plants are kinda fun, inspire of the algae issue on them. Low and behold... FISH. looking a little thin at this point. I sprinkled food in, but the fish vanished into the thick weeds at the bottom.

I look into the tank daily, I sprinkle food. but these fish are incredibly shy and would prefer to hide than to show their spotted little bodies. two months has gone by since I filled that tank right up. I keep topping it up now.. but I saw nothing. Did it die? if it did, the snails would clean it up so I would never know. I don't sprinkle food in the tank often because the fish - if I haven't seen it. Won't eat it until it decides to show up. It hasn't....

So I am sitting here this morning and look over and see this fat little fish darting around. As soon as I come over ZIP into the weeds and gone. I sprinkled food in, but the snails converged.

I can only imagine that the tiny fish finds infusia and whatnot in the water around the weeds as well as other micro-organisms.

I think what has happened to that tank is it balanced itself. A balance between snails, plants and the little fish. to a degree it may be an eco-system because the plants keep growing and the snails keep reproducing. But it never seems to be over run by snails.

I see oxygen bubbles forming on the plants shortly after lights on.

SO my old fish is still kicking. I just wish I knew how long they live.

I am brutally allergic to fish. If I touch,smell or eat them, I will have rashes wheezing and etc. So I generally stay away from fish except in pictures.

I don't have any fish at the moment but I would like to have a big planted tank with Black Moor Goldfish in it one day.

And maybe a betta.

And, even though they aren't fish, an axolotl.

I once had a guppy fish,a beta,and a cat fish.I had them for 1 year until I noticed that the cat fish died.About one month later,the beta fish died,too.The guppy fish actually killed them.How he did it,no idea.Since then we called him "The Canival".

I once had a guppy fish,a beta,and a cat fish.I had them for 1 year until I noticed that the cat fish died.About one month later,the beta fish died,too.The guppy fish actually killed them.How he did it,no idea.Since then we called him "The Canival".

heads up, beta shouldn't be in a tank with other fish unless the tank is very large. they're pretty territorial.

Edited by Lady Artemis

I had 6 females in a 20 gallon. Mind you they were 5 sisters and an aunt. Also it was heavily planted.

I got a betta fish, Chief, last night. The pics won't show up. He's a blue Dumbo betta with a rainbowish tail. He is active and loves his new home.

EDIT: He is in a 3 gallon tank. He will soon get a plant and a hiding place. Don't worry.

Edited by Fightandspawn

I had a mudskipper as a kid. It escaped through the hanging filter once and explored the house. My dad released it in a different reservoir than the one we found it in, so it likely died instantly.