I absolutely adore fish. I have been a happy owner/breeder of bettas for about a year now.

What kind of fish do you like/own?

Does anyone else on this forum breed fish?

Any tips/suggestions for new fish owners?

You can discuss, chat, and debate about fish on this topic. smile.gif Hope you like it.

I used to have oranda red cup, before I could take my first cat. Even though it's dull for some people to have them but I like them as all the animals.

I've always liked fish. They're far more interesting and intelligent than people tend to think,

My family has a goldfish. His name is Thil and he's about 7 or 8 years old now. happy.gif

I adore oranda red caps! They are simple but elegant, and beautiful. x'3

We used to have a large backyard pond and we had koi. They got HUGE! They were really friendly too, let us hand feed them and everything biggrin.gif

*gasp* Me too! Until one day, the pump system broke while we were sleeping... sad.gif R.I.P the fish...

We used to have a large backyard pond and we had koi.  They got HUGE!  They were really friendly too, let us hand feed them and everything  biggrin.gif

We have a small decorative pond outside, it is too small for koi, but we have a few comets. We also had a large golden catfish I called Hoover for his tendency to travel at the surface with his mouth open just sucking up fish food. Unfortunately he just disappeared one day and we have no idea what happened to him.

The closest we had to breeding fish was we had a pair of angelfish that would breed. That ended though during a really bad icestorm when we lost power for two weeks. Between the lack of filtration and the lack of heat, they didn't make it. We have never started that aquarium back up since.

Edited by Nectaris

I have to get a new hood for my tank.....the light system burnt out on it!!!

Was it just the lightbulb or the whole system? They sell individual lightbulbs made specifically for brands of tanks. You mighy want to test that before you buy a whole new lid. (:

I used to have some fish but decided not to keep any more because of the maintenance. I know they're relatively low maintenance, but changing water in particular really didn't hit off with me well. I don't like handling unclean water terribly much. Otherwise, I'd still be keeping a betta or two.

Now I've swapped fish for a much easier to maintain jar of ostracods, water worms and what-not by simply grabbing a random bit of water and algae from the ponds and sticking it in the window. tongue.gif

Edited by rampaging wyvern

We have a small decorative pond outside, it is too small for koi, but we have a few comets. We also had a large golden catfish I called Hoover for his tendency to travel at the surface with his mouth open just sucking up fish food. Unfortunately he just disappeared one day and we have no idea what happened to him.

The closest we had to breeding fish was we had a pair of angelfish that would breed. That ended though during a really bad icestorm when we lost power for two weeks. Between the lack of filtration and the lack of heat, they didn't make it. We have never started that aquarium back up since.

I had a breeding pair of angelfish years ago. They were massive - and great parents. It was always fun watching them fan water over the eggs and disposing of any that were duds and prone to mold growth.

I also used to own an oscar. He was a trip - liked to take food out of my hand and I swear he was happy to see me when I came home. He had quite the personality.

I a Betta. Thats as exotic as I get honestly.

He is white and blue and named Quibben.

I used to have a ten gallon fish tank with a bunch of guppies and a few tetras (a couple of neon and one that looked a lot like an angelfish). When I got tired of replacing them, I got angelfish. I had three that lived to be several years old and got huge--- the oldest two were at least as big as my palm. And then they died off little by little from water mold and old age I guess? IDK. But after they died I took down the tank and haven't put it up since. I would have loved to get more fish but since rearranging my room I no longer have the room for it.

We had a huge pond full of fish; goldfish, koi, sturgeons, etc.

Unfortunately, a couple of bad winters and a heron got at them.

Now we only have three tench left. xd.png

Oh darn I thought this topic might be about fishing.. xd.png Is there only discussion for fish owners? I used to own a goldfish a few years ago but my cousin got to it...

I won a goldfish at a carnival and he lived for about 3 years, his name was Goldy

Now I have had other fish but Goldy was the only one I really named

I've had two bettas. One died and the other I am currently having a really hard time kicking a case of fin rot...

I had 3 goldfish and then they all ate each other so then I got 3 whiteclouds, 4 guppy's and 1 samurai fish. Sadly they all dies as well so then I got 3 more whiteclouds, 4 neons ,1 guppy, 1 black moore and 3 goldfish. The neons died but I still have all the other fish.

When I first started out I somehow managed to get both male and female Mollies... which bred. I was actually very, very taken with the little tiny baby fish, but they kept getting themselves into the filter (which is not a great place for a little fish). I eventually re-homed the Mollies, but it was kinda good to know I was keeping the tank well enough for the fish to be happy enough to breed in it.

I now have Neon Tetra, mostly, who keep my Betta (Hanzo) and Cory (Bruce) company.

Ahh, I see. That's how it started for me, as well. My friend had one dalmation mollie, who somehow, (nobody in her family nor mine) knows how she got her eggs fertilized, but my friend and I woke up at her house one morning, only to see about 15 baby mollies. The mother ate about half of them before we could round them up and put a seperator in the tank. So they all grew, slowly dying until one remained: Tank. Hegrew up to be about 2 years old, he was quite a happy fish.

I wish I could have neon tetras... But I have too many other species in my tank with my betta, so it would be too crowded. And since you have to buy tetras in groups of at least 7, my 1 inch of fish per. gallon rate would pass the charts. So, now I have snails, ghost shrimp, and a platy.

Articles for anyone starting a new tank or for those who don't know what the nitrogen cycle is and have animals that keep dying:

Guide to Starting a Freshwater Aquarium Has some great info on the nitrogen cycle, stocking, filtration and such, for people new to the hobby.

An article on cycling your new tank via the fishless method

Also, Aquarium Advice is an awesome forum for anyone in the hobby. I prefer the Planted Tank forum, personally; I'm a live plants person. smile.gif

(Just an FYI for those wanting "fancy" goldfish - the general rule is that you should have 20 gallons for the first goldfish and an additional 10 gallons for each additional goldfish. They can get huge and are some of the messiest fish ever, and keeping them in communities with tropical fish (they're coldwater) is a bad idea. D:)

Edited by Katie92

I bet raccoons got him... If raccoons live in your area. We use to keep goldfish in our pond but one night raccoons raided the pond, killing and eating all but three fish. One was badly injured so when we did our best to keep him comfortable when we put them in a fish tank. But... Somehow he survived. We named him cowboy and we named the other fish shark, and Whitney. Cowboy survived two other times when the water was poisoned and all the other died.

About a month ago my dad brought home a giant barrel that he said he would make a pond for the fish with. Our fish had grown huge and we needed to get them into a bigger area. Now Cowboy lives in the barrel with Spike and Ribbon, the goldfish, Lips the sucker fish, and Tug the perch.

Articles for anyone starting a new tank or for those who don't know what the nitrogen cycle is and have animals that keep dying:

Guide to Starting a Freshwater Aquarium Has some great info on the nitrogen cycle, stocking, filtration and such, for people new to the hobby.

An article on cycling your new tank via the fishless method

Also, Aquarium Advice is an awesome forum for anyone in the hobby. I prefer the Planted Tank forum, personally; I'm a live plants person. smile.gif

(Just an FYI for those wanting "fancy" goldfish - the general rule is that you should have 20 gallons for the first goldfish and an additional 10 gallons for each additional goldfish. They can get huge and are some of the messiest fish ever, and keeping them in communities with tropical fish (they're coldwater) is a bad idea. D:)

I prefer planeted too. Hence mine is. Although I need to get a couple of new plants, as the fish seem to have taken a liking to nibbling on some of the current ones.

I have raised fish at several points in my life. At one point, I kept a saltwater aquarium. They are beautiful, but a lot of work (and expensive).

A few years ago I had five tanks of African Malawi cichlids, and while they are beautiful, again, a lot of work smile.gif I was also a member of a local aquarium club. I eventually sold my equipment and my fish.

I might do it again someday with a different type of fish; I wouldn't rule anything out. smile.gif