KishaRa

Ideal population list

This suggestion probably needs a better title to start with.

The suggestion:

All this suggestion is for is a page on the site that tells people how the population of dragons currently is related to their ideal population.

It could be expressed in the form of a list from most under populated to most over populated

Example:

Grey <under populated

Flamingo

Red

Green <ideal population

Magi

White

Black tip <over populated

It could also be expressed in the form of an alphabetical list with a percentage representing their relation to the ideal population level, which in the following example is 100%

Example:

Two headed: 83%

Albino: 76%

Balloon: 93%

Black: 104%

Black tea: 58%

And so on…

But what’s the point?

By itself this suggestion doesn’t do any good. I admit that. The point of it is to arm players with information. Plenty of play styles are based on trying to pick up mass amounts of commons and either collect, breed, freeze, or release them. There’s even a few user run groups on the forum devoted to collecting commons for rarer dragons. Imagine how much more effective they might be if they could see which breeds needed to be picked up the most, or what they’d think when they can see if they’ve made a difference this month.

For those who don’t want to participate in cave clearing projects and the like I’m not sure it can be of any use, except as a point of interest, but I’d be interested in hearing how you think it could be useful, or even why you think it’s a waste of time.

The main thing is that if you don’t want to use the page for anything, you don’t have to. It acts as information for players to act on of their own free will, if they choose.

Clarification:

Nothing yet, but I’ll add any clarification or edits needed.

Unfortuantely, TJ seems rather unwilling to break down the populations for us... which leaves it up to the users to come up with that list. Its been suggested before, and never went anywhere.

Unfortuantely, TJ seems rather unwilling to break down the populations for us... which leaves it up to the users to come up with that list. Its been suggested before, and never went anywhere.

Pretty much this. I would LOVE to have some actual statistics, but I highly doubt TJ will divulge them.

I'm not sure why he would be hesitant to give this information. It's not the ratios, it's how far the dragon is from the ideal population and if it's over or underpopulated. It would allow users to actively help the ratios get balanced.

I love this idea.... especially because seeing that a breed is overpopulated could give you a reasonable expectation that you may not be very successful breeding them right then.

But yes, this *does* have to do with ratios in an indirect way, and TJ has always been very resistant to divulging too much information about that.

I like this idea a lot!

I would be pretty much content with having such notifications as "under populated", "close to ideal" "extremely over populated" etc, if TJ's reluctant to divulge too much info (including the percentage ratio of the populations)

Edit:

probably, ability to see the "real picture" of how things are with the populations, would entice people to be more cautious when deciding on how many dragons of a certain breed to mate at a time (or even during a certain period of time) and be more willing to adopt commons of the most "problematic" breeds to even out the balance.

Edited by Ae0nian

Actually, I don't think DC has an ideal number for each breed - I rather think it has only ratios, which would mean such a list would directly convert from/into ratios.

I'd love this (because if I'm starting a new lineage project I like to try and focus on less popular breeds), but I really can't see it happening. sad.gif

I love the idea, but I would prefer a less detailed list. There's another recent suggestion like this (this one) where the user dug up this old State of the Cave thread by TJ himself - he included the top 3 overpopulated and underpopulated breeds in there. So I guess in principal it's ok for TJ to give out at least some information smile.gif

Actually the more I'm thinking about it, the more I love the top 3 idea. Less details can sometimes bring more fun - imagine we get a list of the top 3 underpopulated breeds each month. That could give rise to collecting-commons-games (like the Holly contest, just with a different breed each month) throughout the year, which would definitely make the game more interesting for me smile.gif

If we get too much information, I guess it would be harder for the community to focus on one breed, so that's why I think less information is better in this case smile.gif

Edit: typo

Edited by Ha-Ki

This sort of information is something I'd love to be armed with. I definitely support such a suggestion biggrin.gif

I didnt realize my "state of the cave" suggestion was very similar to this one until TJ directed me to here. I would love to have this on the cave site, and would use it very, very often.

This could have a big influence on what people breed, too... if (for example) Horses are underpopulated but Shimmers the ideal population or overpopulated, you already know there's not much of a chance of getting a shimmer from that breeding. But wouldn't that mean it's not very likely that Horses would reach the ideal population, since no one just tries it anymore?

I do like having a list like this, but I'm trying to think of the effects it could have on the game smile.gif

This could have a big influence on what people breed, too... if (for example) Horses are underpopulated but Shimmers the ideal population or overpopulated, you already know there's not much of a chance of getting a shimmer from that breeding. But wouldn't that mean it's not very likely that Horses would reach the ideal population, since no one just tries it anymore?

I do like having a list like this, but I'm trying to think of the effects it could have on the game smile.gif

I'd say that the proportion of Horses bred from a Shimmer pairing is probably not *that* significant compared to the total number of Horses bred.

Actually, if you've a gifting list or people waiting for a specific dragon, I shouldn't think you'd not try for however many weeks because the listing showed that the mate's sprite was more likely to be reproduced, especially as this can pretty much be expected with commons.

So I'm not sure how much actual effect such a listing might have on the actions of anyone other than dedicated AP/Cave cleaners and such programs, but it would be interesting to get such updates.

I think most breeders (other than perhaps people purposely being cheeky because it makes others mad), if they knew what breeds were "overpopulated" would be less likely and more hesitant to breed those lineages unless they were really nice lineages (thus allowing someone to get a very pretty lineage as a "surprise" for picking up a very common egg) vs just randomly doing breeding runs and running thru all the dragons you have.

I would hope that if someone had a bunch of messy lineaged dragons, they would think twice before just sending random babies into the AP for a breed that is overpopulated and they don't want them and have no interest in finding them homes via FFAs or forum gifting or specific requests or whatnot.

And then the Common Cleaning Projects would have an idea of where to focus. They could make sure to include at least one of those breeds into their rotations. If its updated every so often, the breeds that show up on these lists should change if we are doing our jobs right. And most people really want to be responsible with their breeding. I don't like tossing out things that no one really wants.

Edited by natayah

It sounds interesting, but I'm wondering how often it would need to be updated to be of any interest, so many dragons are bred and caught every single day... wouldn't that be a lot of extra work?

It sounds interesting, but I'm wondering how often it would need to be updated to be of any interest, so many dragons are bred and caught every single day... wouldn't that be a lot of extra work?

I would assume that such a list would be automated. Unless you are talking about work for the server, though only TJ could answer the latter.

Edited by Nectaris

I really like this idea. It would be cool to have the list just for curiousity's sake, and it would also affect my gameplay positively ; it would help me choose which lineage or goal would be best to work on just then.