rilavision

RIP Xbox One

The unforgivable thing is the casual joking about rape.

That aside, as somebody who works in a game store I can already tell you that family gamers are pissed off about how MS has explained the pre-owned stuff. And that a fair chunk of gamers trade in games to fund new games, so if publishers don't make a deal with their preferred retailer then they're screwed.

That seems pretty dang stupid to me.

Exactly. At my store last night, my co-worker and I kept making snide remarks about the new xbox, and during the live update we got for the PS4, we danced and laughed and made jokes. It was fantastic.

Well, I guess the Xbox One is good for one thing-

PS4 sales. cool.gif

If we ARE getting it wrong, then it's actually MS's fault for being highly unclear on the actual facts because I don't actually know anybody outside of the die-hard MS fanbrats who have an almost obscene attraction to the XBox One who actually likes that MS has been saying.

If they don't mean it how it sounds, they need to do some MASSIVE damage control (and not lie about it this time) and make sure to be very clear.

Because it's... Pretty much every gamer who has some idea of what MS has been saying but didn't fangasm repeatedly over the whole MS conference is wary of them at best at this point, from what I've seen.

Which is a very large number of gamers who must be misinformed as a result of MS themselves.

I mean, I'm opening calling it the Xboned at my store, and several of my co-workers agree. I personally don't even wanna think about how this'll complicate used game sales, though. Probably have to ship games out to be re-authorized or whatever. :/

Edited by KageSora

I am so happy to see the Xbone continue in a downward spiral and driving potential customers away. Not because I have some hatred of Microsoft, but because the company needs to know that this is NOT okay. If people give in a buy one anyway, they'll continue to push crappy "drm solutions". Yes, companies want to make money and keep people from pirating, but punishing your actual purchasing customers is not the way to go about that. /rant

They have just done so much wrong here. The always connected Kinect, connecting online every 24 hours (not possible for everyone, and if their servers crash suddenly everyone is out of luck), the used game policy (Restricting who can sell them hurts small game stores, and shifting the blame by saying the publishers decide on a fee...). The whole 'connect every hour if you're using a friend's console' thing is a load of crap too. One of the huge appeals of consoles is being able to sit there and play with a friend without having to deal with lugging around a computer to their house.

I do find this all absolutely hilarious though. I'm sad to see Sony going for paid online gaming service now, but I don't play games online with my consoles anyway so whatever.

I am so happy to see the Xbone continue in a downward spiral and driving potential customers away. Not because I have some hatred of Microsoft, but because the company needs to know that this is NOT okay. If people give in a buy one anyway, they'll continue to push crappy "drm solutions". Yes, companies want to make money and keep people from pirating, but punishing your actual purchasing customers is not the way to go about that. /rant

They have just done so much wrong here. The always connected Kinect, connecting online every 24 hours (not possible for everyone, and if their servers crash suddenly everyone is out of luck), the used game policy (Restricting who can sell them hurts small game stores, and shifting the blame by saying the publishers decide on a fee...). The whole 'connect every hour if you're using a friend's console' thing is a load of crap too. One of the huge appeals of consoles is being able to sit there and play with a friend without having to deal with lugging around a computer to their house.

I do find this all absolutely hilarious though. I'm sad to see Sony going for paid online gaming service now, but I don't play games online with my consoles anyway so whatever.

Agreed. That's why, sad as I am to give up Halo, I'm voting with my wallet and saying it's not okay by giving my business to their competition. And urging everybody I can to do the same.

I don't mind the paid for online gaming, though. I'm hoping that, by having it as a paid feature, they can have an improved online mutliplayer experience.

I only mind the paid-for thing because I don't at all have the money to pay for anything like that. So even if I did have a want to use it, I couldn't afford to.

I don't mind the paid for online gaming, though. I'm hoping that, by having it as a paid feature, they can have an improved online mutliplayer experience.

That was the exact reason they moved to requiring PS+ for online multiplayer.

The free servers for PS3 allow Sony to not have to regulate anything, so all sorts of crap goes on and they don't have to worry about it (except when that credit card fiasco happened, yikes. No repeats of that!). Now that the service is being paid for, you bet your bottom dollar that the online service itself will be on par or possibly even exceed what the 360's was. Now they have an obligation to regulate and supervise the online servers, so it'll be better for everyone in the long run.

Also, still cheaper than Xbox live, and you don't need PS+ to watch Netflix or any of the other subscription things.

I only mind the paid-for thing because I don't at all have the money to pay for anything like that. So even if I did have a want to use it, I couldn't afford to.

I get that. It sucks, but it is what it is.

i wish Notch would change his mind about having Minecraft on xbox only sad.gif

as a hobby gammer, who has the Wii, 360 & PS3 i will say that we wont be getting an xbox one.

we dont game online, we dont even have our consoles hooked up. so the connnectivity 24/7 aspect was a deal breaker. add into that, the fact that we purchase preowned games for most of the ones we own from Gamestop (excluding some titles like Arkham Series, Assassins Creed, Madden, ect) and MS's anti-pre owned games policy.

yeah, we'll be going from a multi console houselhold to a single console household.

I know. I just can't even with that. There's just no excuse for it at all.

I know. I just can't even with that. There's just no excuse for it at all.

That was just the final nail in the coffin for me. I was really uninterested and then when I heard that I was just "Nope can't support them, no can do."

Really saddening they'd resort to that. :/

I don't know if it's appropriate for the forums, but, would someone mind telling me what the rape joke was? Or at least PMing me if it's not suitable for public posting.

I will probably get it later after more games show up that get my interest in it until then I will stick to Xbox 360. Probably wont wait to long after Halo 5 comes out though if possible because I do want to finish the series as that is what made me get one in the first place.

I am a bit worried on the disc usage but I only got one person who I share my games with anyway so it's not overly a big deal.

Those of you who have more info on it about the whole 24 hour thing what happens if say power goes out and it can't check in? Idk the whole thing about it needing to do that.

There's been no discussion of alternative methods of authentication, so it sounds like if you lose Internet and it's been more than 24 hours since the system last authenticated you, you won't be able to play your games on that system until you get back on the Internet and let it authenticate again.

There's been no discussion of alternative methods of authentication, so it sounds like if you lose Internet and it's been more than 24 hours since the system last authenticated you, you won't be able to play your games on that system until you get back on the Internet and let it authenticate again.

Okay so it isn't as bad as it sounds then. I have my 360 connected at all times anymore so no big deal just gotta disconnect it and connect the xbox one unless I need to use my live profile. I don't even play online much. I want to but I don't want to be hacked. I have one strong password but still idk how I can really avoid it on there. I got sent one spam message and I deleted the guy off my friendlist after that. >.>

I can't stand systems or games that force me to have the internet. They become unplayable if you feel like taking your system up to the cabin or camping, which I do A LOT.

I will probably get it later after more games show up that get my interest in it until then I will stick to Xbox 360. Probably wont wait to long after Halo 5 comes out though if possible because I do want to finish the series as that is what made me get one in the first place.

I am a bit worried on the disc usage but I only got one person who I share my games with anyway so it's not overly a big deal.

Those of you who have more info on it about the whole 24 hour thing what happens if say power goes out and it can't check in? Idk the whole thing about it needing to do that.

Do you ever, though, sell your old games? Or buy them used--either from a store or other people online?

Because you will not be able to sell them through places like ebay, so if you don't like the prices that places like GameStop give you (I get the frustration as a gamer, but I also understand it from a business perspective), then you're outta luck.

Also if a publisher says you can't resell their games, then you're screwed there, too.

So if you do any buying or selling of pre-owned games, then the Xboned is probably not something to look into.

If you buy everything new and never get rid of it, though, then it's not really an issue.

Do you ever, though, sell your old games?  Or buy them used--either from a store or other people online?

Because you will not be able to sell them through places like ebay, so if you don't like the prices that places like GameStop give you (I get the frustration as a gamer, but I also understand it from a business perspective), then you're outta luck.

Also if a publisher says you can't resell their games, then you're screwed there, too.

So if you do any buying or selling of pre-owned games, then the Xboned is probably not something to look into.

If you buy everything new and never get rid of it, though, then it's not really an issue.

I've only ever bought one preused game (was for the N64) and never sell them as I usually replay them so again not a big deal for me. I only share them with a friend of mine who doesn't have many.

Also I only use Amazon to buy stuff from because of the free shipping otherwise everything is always new.

Edited by demonicvampiregirl

That's where I fall in. And I hate fussing with discs, so the fast switching features are really appealing to me.

The biggest concern I have is how Japanese region-locked games are going to interact with the entire system, since I am an American who plays mostly Japanese games in Japanese, but there's been no news on that front.

There never is. ;_; It's like I don't even exist.

ETA: BTW, of course I'm going to be buying a Japanese system. I'm just not sure how it'll interact with Live and all that.

Edited by siliconrose

So Don Mattrick said "fortunately we have a product for people that aren’t able to get some form of connectivity – it’s called an Xbox 360″."

http://www.gametrailers.com/videos/silmon/...rategy--stream-

It's around the 1:48 mark

Wow.

Wooowww.

That arrogance.

They don't even NEED Sony to drive them into the ground, they're doing a fine job themselves!

Edited by Switch

Best thing i've read:

THE BEST PART ABOUT THIS IS THAT A YEAR AND A HALF AGO SONY PATENTED THE AUTHORIZING OF GAMES SO THEY COULDN’T BE SHARED, HOW THE XBOX ONE IS YOU KNOW, AND THEN THEY censorkip.gif SOLD IT TO MICROSOFT FOR A HUGE PROFIT OH MY GOD

"And here’s your complimentary Trojan Horse."

It's so true. Sony basically handed Microsoft a noose and let them hang themselves with it. THEY EVEN MAKE FUN OF IT IN THEIR COMMERCIALS.

user posted image

user posted image

I usually buy new now, but I used to have to buy used all the time before I had my job.

But I'm getting to the point where I need to sell games I've played that it turns out I'm not gonna replay to afford new ones again, which is where the XBoned does me in.

It's also a fairly bad blow to the family and casual markets, since a lot of those who buy for their kids buy the pre-owned from GameStop because if the kid doesn't like it they can get a refund, rather than dropping $60 on a game that the kid'll play once then refuse to play again. And a lot of casuals just drop in and grab used games every so often a few months after release because they don't care enough to pre-order or even buy at full price, and they make use of their game system for other reasons as well as gaming.

Say what you will about the prices GS gives (like I said before, I get the frustration from a gamer perspective, but I also get it from a business perspective), but the return policy on used games is pretty good for people with kids who are just starting to get into gaming or for people who don't have a lot of money they can throw away on a game they'll get 2 hours into then never touch again or who are really uncertain if they'll like a totally different style of game than they're used to.

Microsoft is screwing over a fairly good chunk of people there.

@MysticTiger: I know, right? It's hilarious!

@Switch: Holy censorkip.gif. Are they just TRYING to piss everybody off now?

The more I hear about the XBox One the more I shake my head. I knew something was up when they named their third Xbox the One, and it went downhill from there. Sometimes I wonder if they're trying to kill it before it gets off the ground.

I did enjoy, though, when Microsoft first unveiled the name of the Xbox One a search on Bing brought up the original Xbox. rolleyes.gif

I was watching the Xbox One press conference with my sister, it was the most offensive thing ever. My sister (whom was a victim of rape, sadly :/) bought the first xbox that had came out as well as the 360 and is completely even against getting the One. It's such a shame they would resort to even joking about rape or trying to mask rape in jokes. Completely unacceptable.

Also, I just wanted to add this is where I got the "slaying of xbox" from xd.png

user posted image

it was a posted on Jack Tretton's wikipedia page, they kept removing it. I wish they'd have kept it though lol!

Edited by verdaniasoul

i wish Notch would change his mind about having Minecraft on xbox only sad.gif

I hope you realize you'll have to bring that one up with Microsoft. They paid Mojang big $$$ to make it exclusive and they're bound by contract to keep it that way. There is no changing Minecraft's exclusivity without breaking that contract and getting Mojang in a lot of trouble. And Notch isn't in charge of that anymore anyhow.

If you love Minecraft as much as I do you're better off buying it on PC or a mobile device. The community's bigger anyway, and you wouldn't be giving a single red cent to Microsoft. Complain with your feet!