Jrady

For reducing biome blocking

Sooo, we all know(or should know) that the drop rate is there for a reason, and rare dragons should be less seen in people's scrolls than commons. But, nobody wants the commons and everybody wants the rares. I have a solution(s) that will cause people to actually want to have common eggs on their scroll.

First idea is to have there be rare and common slots in the amount of eggs someone can have. So, like you might be able to have 4 rare eggs at a time, and 20 or so common eggs. This way, if people want to fill up their egg slots they will have to take common eggs, and also the scrolls will be more balanced having more common dragons than rares.

Second idea, and this kind of could go along with the first one a little bit is to give achievements for having certain numbers of common dragons on a person's scroll. This could help make it so that people will keep the common dragons instead of releasing them to the wild to only have rare dragons on their scroll. I have no idea if this is a problem, but I thought if my first idea were used, then there may be more problems with what the second idea is trying to solve. And, this idea could actually help with the biome blocking situation by itself if the first one is unacceptable.

Edited by Jrady

No, please. Don't force people to play the way they don't want to.

I have more than 1.5 thousand rares on my scroll and I love my scroll the way it is. I don't need more commons and I don't like the idea of someone making me grab more than I like. I'm sure there are a lot of people who would share my point of view.

I have a solution(s) that will cause people to actually want to have common eggs on their scroll.

This won't make people *want* commons. This will make them grab the commons they *don't* want, in fact.

This suggestion is too radical.

Edited by ZzelaBusya

No please. I prefer to be able to lock myself with whatever the heck I may want.

Plus, your suggestion won't work- the dragons have individual numbers in the ratios, not tiers like "rare", "common", etc.

No...I applaud you for the idea, but I don't like the restriction of eggs. Rarity is a subjective concept (well...in my eyes it is,) I can consider a Mint to be a rare dragon because it looks cute or something. Regardless, I'm not pro on having a limit of how many 'rare eggs' I have on my scroll.

Sooo, we all know(or should know) that the drop rate is there for a reason, and rare dragons should be less seen in people's scrolls than commons.

Says who? That's bull.

If a person wants to spend their time and effort obtaining a scroll of nothing but metals, that's not wrong. :/

I disagree that rarity is a subjective concept, but people/I don't like to be limited in what I keep on a scroll and it would be very difficult to get support for an idea which reduces rather than enhances a person's egg grabbing privilege. Just saying.

Edited by DarkEternity

Hi, Jrady,

thanks for trying to come up with some sort of solution!

But if I can make/reiterate from above a few points:

Lots of people want lots of commons - the problem is that there are too many of some types of commons for the environment to support.

People come here to collect the dragons they want, and if someone wants an all-metal or an all Chicken scroll or something, that's the way they want to do it, same with those who collect almost nothing but Water Walkers or Mints, or Pinks.

Most of us want a variety of the dragons they like, and for many, plenty of them, although others only want one of each sprite or a pair and a frozen of each sprite, or whatever.

But, as there are limits as to what we can raise at one time, and as this is supposed to be a fun collecting game which we play for recreation, we who like plenty tend to try hardest for the dragons we want which are harder to get, in case they become even more difficult to obtain in the future, because we have fewer of them than we'd like/need, and/or because of trade value, so we can get something else that we'd like.

Make Spitfires rare, and we'll chase them then, lol.

Nice sprite, has a heraldic look I like, but I have enough and they're common so I can always get more later.

And when there are too many of any particular sprite chronically Blocking you from hunting, you begin to find them annoying, develop bad associations with them, and ultimately don't want them at all.

What we need are ratios that are responsive to the level of environment support - player demand - available, as in nature and the marketplace.

But while probably most of us like purple, we aren't holding our collective breath to turn colour for it, lol.

Kudos for trying to come up with some solution, though we've tried numerous player-based methods of reducing the problem and it's never worked through the years.

If the root of the issue, the ratios, isn't addressed, the problem will continue.

Further spoiling play by restricting what people can do or encouraging people to waste their fun time by loading up with unwanted dragons can't possibly help enough, because we're so grossly outnumbered by the Blockers of the moment all along.

This won't make people *want* commons. This will make them grab the commons they *don't* want, in fact.

This suggestion is too radical.

This, basically. There is no *incentive* in your first suggestion, nothing to make people *want* to pick up commons... Only yet *another* restriction on what and when we can pick up certain dragons. We already have scroll-limits and the simple challenge of having to actually *catch* those rares in the first place, let's not add yet another limit.

Second suggestion forces people to play how YOU want them to play, and that's pretty much a no-no around here. We all have different playstyles. Some people don't even pick up dragons except for new breeds because their scroll is already good for them. Some people prefer to breed, some people prefer to gift the things they breed, some people want only a "pair" of each breed and some people want a whole army..... Those are *all* valid playing styles and your suggestion would basically be saying "Unless you change the entire way you play just to help the biome blocking that may not even be affecting you, you won't get these 'achievements'"...... No.

To sum up: What Syphoneira said, basically.

For the first idea - No. Like others, I dont want to be restricted in what I can or can not grab from the cave/AP

I may have a lot of metals, but I have very few CB metals - I do not want to be stopped from getting said CB's for my collection just because I have been around longer and have more than others.

Second idea - I like the idea of achievements, but Id want them to be like the badges above the scroll - like YAY you go 100 red dragons, have a mini red dragon badge. But again, I do not want this to be a forced or mandatory thing.

If its optional, I dont mind.

I think there are options out there, Like the Holly contest which started last yr - now moving onto Spitfires, get as many as you can and some kind user gives you a holly dragon at the end of the yr (its on of the most sought after for collectors so most incentive). its an option if you wish to participate, then you can. if not then its also fine.

I dont think anyone should be punished - which is basically what you are suggesting for attempting to collect what they want for their scroll/collection

I appreciate the suggestion, but this would make trades a NIGHTMARE. Rare trades warrant rares in return (usually), so being unable to offer multiple rares at one time is a very bad idea. Officially the site doesn't allow IOU offers, but this severe of a change would force them to happen.

The best strategy for dealing with an overflow of commons has and continues to be the threads that create a points system out of common dragons that can be made towards rares.

Ok, so most people don't seem to like the idea of only having one rare on their scroll at a time. And, if I may go on a sidenote, for every person with a scroll full of rares, there are probably a bunch of people who were nice enough to pick up the commons and fuel the greed of the people who want a scroll full of rares.

So I guess what everybody is saying is that they want the rares to be common and the commons to be rare. Right? I guess I would be happy with that too, but I don't think that would be in the spirit of the game.

I guess it doesn't have to be only one rare, and I don't know what the ratios are, but I'm just saying, we need to give people a reason to pick up commons. Maybe everyone could have 4 rares and 20 commons. I mean, do people usually even have that many rares on their scroll at one time anyways. blink.gif

Edited by Jrady

One last thing, you ppl make me sick.  Only thinking of your own greedy desire to have a scroll full of rares, not knowing that you're making someone else have a scroll full of commons.  I know I'm going to try to pick up more commons from now on, even though it's probably not going to allow me to have more rares, but allow someone with a ton of rares already to have more rares... mad.gif

Just because we are not getting rares doesn't mean that you're getting scrollfulls of rares either, just sayin'

Most of my rares are bred ones I use for trade. I doubt that I'd get the incentive to breed more if that limit was there, which in turn decreases the chance that someone with slow internet speed and who's a newbie will get them, so on and so forth.

Also, DC doesn't have greed. My scroll can be FILLED with CB metals and low gen shimmers if I want.

Sidenote: Just in case I get called "greedy" (eyeroll) link to my scroll is right in my signature, and it's a very poor scroll if I say so myself.

One last thing, you people make me sick, you act like you are ENTITLED to a rare somehow when there is no guarantee that you will ever have one.

Edited by ylangylang

You made this "idea" because you want to have rares too. I can sense frustration in your posts. If you want rares, work for them. Hunt the biomes, all games around are about timing and fast internet, so why bother? I have no CB Metals and no low gen Shimmers... so what? That doesn't mean I have a right to call others greedy. I saw one time a scroll who had 5 CB Golds freshly taken from the cave. Should I hate or viewbombing that person? No. Just forget the frustration and go hunt for your scroll.

If you want rares, work for them.

QFT. "Wealthy" players did not just wave a magic wand and get given all their shinies, they earned them. It takes time and effort, or building good contacts, or being willing to raise lots of commons to trade or for a community common-raising project. *There's* your incentive to raise common breeds. Heck, there are even gifting threads, too. Just... don't get sniffy about what you get gifted.

The two best ways to encourage people to pick up commons are the following.

1. BSAs that are wanted. Pinks, purples, greens, these all used to be really bad blockers. After they got BSAs they became harder to find.

2. Hybrids also help with blockers, more so if both parents are current blocker breeds.

Edited by Dolphinsong

One last thing, you ppl make me sick. Only thinking of your own greedy desire to have a scroll full of rares, not knowing that you're making someone else have a scroll full of commons. I know I'm going to try to pick up more commons from now on, even though it's probably not going to allow me to have more rares, but allow someone with a ton of rares already to have more rares... mad.gif

Well...I doubt that someone would have a scroll full of only metallics. First of all, are you talking about CB rares? If so, I suggest you work for them; they're rare for a reason. However, if you're talking about lineaged rares, I'm sure you can find some kind people on the forums and/or a thread that specializes in gifting rares *points at signature*

Also, I think if scrolls were limited to one rare egg and 3-6 commons, I have the feeling that there can be possible multiscrolling involved to obtain more rares.

P.S. Not everybody that fills up their scroll with rares are greedy, some might like the sprite, or collect the dragon for gifting purposes

One last thing, you ppl make me sick. Only thinking of your own greedy desire to have a scroll full of rares, not knowing that you're making someone else have a scroll full of commons. I know I'm going to try to pick up more commons from now on, even though it's probably not going to allow me to have more rares, but allow someone with a ton of rares already to have more rares... mad.gif

Excuse me but I've played since 2010 and I only just caught my first cb elemental trio dragon ever. It was so awesome let me tell you, just knowing after all of that time my efforts had payed off. It felt the same when I snagged my cb golden wyvern. I have no cb golds or silvers and do you see me wanting to make everyone play in a specific way? NO! I appreciate that these dragons are so coveted because they are rare. There's threads all over that gift dragons, it's not like people aren't willing to give them to you.

I was gifted two silver shimmers from threads, and I anticipate when they grow up so I can gift their offspring to other users to spread this love. I want to breed beautiful lineages and dump them in abandoned so other users can stumble upon them to add to their scrolls.

Sure I know there are plenty of others that have many more valuable dragons than me but I'm not looking at them with envy, and trying to limit them and say "no fair you're rich so you get everything you want!" I'm saying "Wow you guys worked hard and your scroll looks awesome!" (Note: If you did this through multi-scrolling then shame on you!)

Why would I want a scroll full of rares while there are so many beautiful dragons on the site? My favorite dragons aren't even a very rare dragon by site standards, I've picked up plenty of cb hellfires so I can make lineages to give others.

Like the others said, limits would just encourage others to multiscroll and break the rules, and discourage those who want to breed their rares to gift them to others.

Ok, so most people don't seem to like the idea of only having one rare on their scroll at a time. And, if I may go on a sidenote, for every person with a scroll full of rares, there are probably a bunch of people who were nice enough to pick up the commons and fuel the greed of the people who want a scroll full of rares.

So I guess what everybody is saying is that they want the rares to be common and the commons to be rare. Right? I guess I would be happy with that too, but I don't think that would be in the spirit of the game.

I guess it doesn't have to be only one rare, and I don't know what the ratios are, but I'm just saying, we need to give people a reason to pick up commons. Maybe everyone could have 4 rares and 20 commons. I mean, do people usually even have that many rares on their scroll at one time anyways. blink.gif

I have a very mixed scroll. My CB golds were both recent GIFTS. I assume it happened because I have in my time gifted to others and so on. I was amazed (and very very grateful.) I think if I had been posting about the greed of others I would still have none !

It takes work. Some of my best lineages are all commons - I have a zillion greys.

This suggestion would force people to play differently - to suit someone who wants things their way - and why should we ? We have WORKED to get what we have. It can be done - and easily. You have more metals than most people I know.

Maybe everyone could have 4 rares and 20 commons.  I mean, do people usually even have that many rares on their scroll at one time anyways.  blink.gif

Believe me, some people do, especially if you mean any rares, not only CBs.

One last thing, you ppl make me sick.  Only thinking of your own greedy desire to have a scroll full of rares, not knowing that you're making someone else have a scroll full of commons.  I know I'm going to try to pick up more commons from now on, even though it's probably not going to allow me to have more rares, but allow someone with a ton of rares already to have more rares... mad.gif

How is it greedy? I mean, come on, the whole game is about grabbing/breeding dragons, and no one has ever stated that we *must* get certain ones, we are free to choose what to collect.

I collect Papers, and they are considered rare/uncommon. I almost *always* have growing ones on my scroll, sometimes multiple of them - 5, 10... I definitely don't mind it if someone catches a Paper and keeps it, or if someone steals one in the cave in front of me, no matter how frustrating it is. But no, sorry, I won't be getting less of them on purpose so that other people who I may not know at all anyway grab them. I *love* them and would be collecting them even if they were the most common breed, and it's not really nice to spoil the fun for me. Same goes for anyone: if someone has a scroll with 4 thousand Mints, what's wrong with it? Nothing, just like with a scroll with, idk, 800 CB Metals (as long as they have been obtained in a fair way), you know...

Also, the way you talk about it, it seems like you think that people who have many rares just randomly have them appear on their scrolls by magic. That's not true: users with many rares worked for them and deserve them.

I'm not going to comment on the merits of the idea because thats already been debated. I just wanted to add a few pros and cons for having lots of "rare" dragons on your scroll.

Con: If you have a scroll full of nothing but CB metals..... (and I'm sure there are some legit players who get tired of playing for awhile, release all their dragons, and decide to only keep rare rare rare lineages and CB Metals) ..... kinda garners a lot of attention. I mean you could be a totally awesome legit non cheating person and have an awesome shiny scroll, but the admins are gonna kinda look at you a bit more often. Just sayin....

Pro: Metal Checkers... Special Rare Dragon Patterned or Whatever Lineages..... these don't just grow on trees. Do you know how many times you have to breed a dragon with a CB Metal (especially if its a common common) to get a metal from it.... First, you spent a lot of time with a lot of babies you didnt really want and spent weeks and months to breed that gold so you could produce a checker... or produce some baby some other crazy person wants to produce some other crazy lineage. You might not think that sounds like pure virtue, but there went a lot of weeks that person could have spent breeding out 2G metals and trading em off for other shiny hatchie things. These lineages don't just magically create themselves.... they take work. Which means someone has to have a cargo ship of Metals somewhere to produce these things. So the next time you get a non holiday x rare checker thats an uncommon to common dragon with metals or other rarerish dragons in the AP or on a forum and you are like ZOMG this lineage is awesome I'm so hyped ..... just remember that someone more than likely invested a lot of time to produce that pretty pixel picture.

BTW if someone has a Rare Growing Lineage Tree please direct me to this forest. I am an eager lumberjack ready for some tasty pancakes.

Plus if we go for your suggestion, we might upset the balance/economy of the cave. Eg. Everyone starts hoarding a certain breed due to your idea, then all of a sudden that breed will become more rare. Espcially if you have the rares becoming even more rare by saying you can only have a certain amount, alot.png of people will still breed and trade them. It will just make them more rare.

And many people breed them and trade, donate, or auto abandon for people haunting the abandoned page.

They are called 'rare' for a reason. This game is more about a users choice, and there are very few restrictions. Those are mostly on holiday eggs and GoN. Plus there is even an encouragement to gather certain rares. Like with the Trio dragons, TJ has it set us as the more set of them you have, the more likely your summon will succeed.

There are also certain threads where you collect inbred/messy commons and freeze them. If you freeze a certain amount, then you can save up for a rare. Or the threads for gifting a rare. There are alternative ways to get eggs that are breed or even CB.

So I'm sorry but I don't like the idea. It seems to over complicate a system that has worked since the original cave.

~Reminder~

Please attack the topic and not each other.

Sorry I didn't mean to be rude, I'm just angry that people don't seem to understand the concept of ratios and the fact that when they have an overabundance of rares they are forcing someone else to have more commons on their scroll than they may want. As for the work it takes to get those rare dragons, I'm not saying we should just give people who only spend a few minutes searching some rares. But, when a few people take all the rares there's not enough to go around sad.gif . If everyone would just do their part and take a few commons every once in a while, then there might be less biome blocking. I'm saying anyone in particular is not doing their part, just that everyone needs to try a little harder.

Idk maybe a better idea is that you can have as many commons as you want, but if you want any more rares you have to have less than 6 eggs on your scroll. So, basically you get a few rares, and then get a ton of commons, and let them all hatch and then you can get some more rares. I think if people didn't feel like they were necessarily wasting their time on commons they might want to take more of them.

Sorry I didn't mean to be rude, I'm just angry that people don't seem to understand the concept of ratios and the fact that when they have an overabundance of rares they are forcing someone else to have more commons on their scroll than they may want.  As for the work it takes to get those rare dragons, I'm not saying we should just give people who only spend a few minutes searching some rares.  But, when a few people take all the rares there's not enough to go around sad.gif .  If everyone would just do their part and take a few commons every once in a while, then there might be less biome blocking.  I'm saying anyone in particular is not doing their part, just that everyone needs to try a little harder. 

I disagree about the 'forcing other people to get commons' part. There's no forcing upon an egg onto your scroll, one chooses a common egg upon their own accord. Regardless, I don't think there should be a limit on how many rare, uncommon, common, etc. eggs you can get. This is a dragon collecting game, not a dragon limiting game.

*places two cents and walks away*

Edited by XiaoChibi

I disagree about the 'forcing other people to get commons' part. There's no forcing upon an egg onto your scroll, one chooses a common egg upon their own accord. Regardless, I don't think there should be a limit on how many rare, uncommon, common, etc. eggs you can get. This is a dragon collecting game, not a dragon limiting game.

*places two cents and walks away*

Yeah if I don't find anything I want I don't pick it up not go like "oh well I really don't want this but I am forced to get it"

Also I am against this idea that rares ~should be~ distributed to everyone equally. Why? This is a competition game. When you sign up it doesn't say "you can get any egg you want".