Dragonical

Divergent (and its series)

My friend, Mousia (she's on this forum as that, so...), and I both read Divergent (by Veronica Roth) and really liked it.

What do you think about it? Have you read it?

I really like this series, and I can't wait for the movie, either. If they do a good job on it like they did with the Hunger Games, it will surely be a hit. :-)

I loved the first book. It was so much better than the Hunger Games.

The second book wasn't as good. I found her a bit too whiny for my tastes. In the first one she was so strong.

Anyone else agree?

It was amazing! A bit like the hunger games but not an exact copy, can't wait for the third book to be released.

I've read it. Personally, I don't see much of a OMG! So similar to the Hunger Games! vibe. There's not a whole lot of Roman and/or Greek influence, from what I've read.

I'll start Insurgent eventually.

It was pretty decent. Some scenes were overly cheesy/dramatic but it was still a great book.

I liked the first book and I'm currently three-quarters of the way through the third book, but I don't know, I didn't like the series as much as THG. I don't know, Tris' character development came on a little suddenly for me, she was a little whiny and also felt like a bit of a Mary Sue (like, why is she such an uber special Divergent, why are all the adults so accommodating and willing to listen to a little teenage girl, like, Dauntless and special Divergence aside, I just don't think it works - that she's organising everything just about and everyone follows her and listens to her and thinks she's such a valuable ally-asset-person to have?). The other characters also felt a little one-dimensional to me. That being said, I really do like the premise behind it and I'm really looking forward to the movie (even though I don't particularly like Shailene Woodley, I'm so sorry), the trailer looked really good.

Katniss was a blatant Mary-Sue as well.

And, Triss isn't the only Divergent. There are lots, most from Abnegation. THey just don't go around announcing it to the world.

I agree Katniss had Mary Sue aspects to her character, I just think that it was better handled - she was important to the revolution symbolically, but Coin and Plutarch still pulled the strings and treated her like a child, which she was? Tris, despite her relatively average fighting ability was regarded as an asset to whoever was planning something at any given point and they all listened to her.

I'm aware Tris wasn't the only Divergent, but a lot of the time it came across that hers was stronger and special in that she could resist some of the serums that the other Divergent couldn't? Also her Divergence put her above Uriah, who was also Divergent, on the Dauntless initiation leaderboard, at the number one spot.

I love sci-fi and dystopian settings, and I definitely do appreciate Tris - we're in desperate need of more female protagonists. smile.gif

I loved it! Read it twice. I know how good the book is, so i'm totally not gonna spoil it for people who haven't read it by saying that TRIS DIES

I loved it! Read it twice. I know how good the book is, so i'm totally not gonna spoil it for people who haven't read it by saying that TRIS DIES

That awkward moment when I've been seriously wanting to read this series since all of my friends have gotten hyped about it and I've liked the general concept as explained to me, and I read that post.

..eh, still hoping to get to read it, soon. Not much of a fan of ever reading anything but hey, I liked THG alright and this seems to attract the same crowd?

I'm so sorry. I feel like a dick now...

LOL don't worry about it! This is a place to discuss the books and such anyway, it's ridiculous to come in and not expect spoilers (Besides, I do that kind of stuff all the time anyway tongue.gif).

But seriously, my entire school is hyped to the point where one of our teachers had us test for our faction and draw ourselves in that faction's clothing and sturf...

I make an adorable Erudite at least.

I agree Katniss had Mary Sue aspects to her character, I just think that it was better handled - she was important to the revolution symbolically, but Coin and Plutarch still pulled the strings and treated her like a child, which she was? Tris, despite her relatively average fighting ability was regarded as an asset to whoever was planning something at any given point and they all listened to her.

I'm aware Tris wasn't the only Divergent, but a lot of the time it came across that hers was stronger and special in that she could resist some of the serums that the other Divergent couldn't? Also her Divergence put her above Uriah, who was also Divergent, on the Dauntless initiation leaderboard, at the number one spot.

I love sci-fi and dystopian settings, and I definitely do appreciate Tris - we're in desperate need of more female protagonists. smile.gif

I was under the impression that they all had that skill? Any divergent could manipulate the serum, but the ones that had survived as long as they did weren't trying to stand out, which is why Tris herself couldn't identify them. (She was struggling to stay in the middle of the pack, where everyone was TELLING her to stay pfff. I'm guessing the other divergent were just better at that).

She wasn't exactly a special case among divergent though? I think Four/Tobias was just praising her a lot xd.png He definitely fell for her pretty early on.

I don't think I could call her a Mary Sue though.. She obviously has some flaws. She greatly disliked the idea of not standing out, & was having trouble listening to others. She was also very hot-headed, & did pull a few selfish moves.

Though this is all speculation from what I've read/seen so far :0 I've only just started the 2nd book.. (Though I did watch the movie).

I personally enjoy the series much more than I originally thought I would, & the concept I find extremely cool. I just hope it doesn't turn sour before I have the chance to finish the series ^o^

I read Divergent and for me, personally, neither the characters or storyline really grabbed me and got my attention. I found it pretty boring reading actually.

I didn't mind reading The Hunger Games, or the story The Giver, or even 1984 by George Orwell, even Brave New Worlds -which deal with the same sort of society/structures etc as can be found in Divergent -so it is not that theme is one that bores or disinterest me.

It just felt so flat for me while reading Divergent.

Recently read Divergent series last month because I heard it was so good. I took out the first one from the library and loved it. Insurgent, the second book in the series, was going to take forever to get a hold of at the library so I decided since the first book was so great the others would be great too, so I did a stupid thing and bought Insurgent and Allegiant. I read Insurgent and was like... well this doesn't hold up like Divergent did, but maybe it gets better... and then when I read the rest of Allegiant and found out Tris dies, I absolutely regretted buying the books. I'm sorry. You just DON'T kill off the main character when it is a first person narrative! That's stupid! And in Allegiant, the switching of points of views between Tris and Tobias was extremely distracting from the book because at every beginning chapter I had to re-arrange my brain to who is speaking and this got very annoying really quick. Plus, I felt like the order in the storyline was going from crazy to crazier, and then just plain unbelievable. I was surly disappointed in this series and nobody wants to buy my two books so I can get my money back. I am a huge Hunger Games fan and I will stick to this.

But that's just my opinion! laugh.gif