Psycho Cat

Trapped ◊ Accepting!

Tatsuke had to have the questionnaire tossed at him. He was too frozen and shocked to even expend the mental power to take anything from anyone. It was a wonder he had control over his bladder at that point in time. His heart was still fluttering frantically once he even began to regard the packet and pencil... But he was beginning to come down from his blinding fear. His stomach was still in knots, looping tighter and tighter during his crawl to the packet and still twisting lightly as he picked it up and looked it over. His English wasn't the best in all of Japan, but he could still easily read what was on the paper. It confused him, nevertheless. Why was he being asked such basic questions...? Some of them were pretty random on top of it. His favorite color? What would he do if he was waiting on line all day only to find the product sold out? He flipped the pages quickly, skimming it. He guessed he should fill it out, then...

As he went through the questions, he decided to fill them out meekly. Today he wasn't going to act anything like the protagonists of his video games, tearing down evil teams and becoming the best around... He was just going to answer them with the personality he felt he really was at this moment. Submissive and cowardly. He wasn't lying. If confronted with the dilemmas at this moment, he would most certainly comply the way he was replying.

All the while, Tatsuke wasn't paying much attention to the other children. Which may bite him in the butt later.

~~~

"Tested on? Like animals?" Siku bit back his fear and anger. He had to hold himself back, try to separate himself from his first person experiences. If he was logical and analytical, didn't allow his swirling emotions to overtake his heart, he would better understand the situation and every bit of precious information given to him. He took a deep breath so he could think. If he was the abductor and wanted to test on children he'd gone through the lengths of kidnapping, how would he undertake the situation? "...At this moment there is no worry. No one would kidnap children to kill them right away. Not until we've outlived usefulness."

Siku recoiled when he was handed the questionnaire. He hadn't noticed her come in the room. But he looked over the pages and made sure he didn't make eye contact with the albino. The questions seemed random, but what did that mean? She must want to know how they reacted in common situations. Did she really think he was going to answer them completely honestly so she knew his every future move? Once she wasn't looking at him, he sent her a calculating gaze. Thus started a game of cat and mouse.

~

It was about that time Ekundu began to ebb into consciousness. It was a good thing he hadn't been awake when Marley passed his cell, unlike Siku he wasn't calculating and when he just woke up it was even worse. He would have almost certainly done the heroic proclamations of how she couldn't keep him here forever, cussing, lashing out, and almost certainly have gotten himself killed or given up a key card Siku was bound to play. How Ekundu truly had the lowest form of empathy towards everyone else but his best friend despite how loud and open he seemed to be.

Sandy looked at the packet tossed at her with disgust. It was nothing like a test in school, where the questions were actually what they had learned and made sense, but this was plain random. She picked up the pencil. hmmmm, she thought, maybe I can use this do undo the bolts of the cell. Nah, pencil lead is too weak, she reminded herself. Better get on to the questions, she thought, there may be a consequence for not finishing quickly. She filled out the questions with half-honesty, honestly answering all of them except for the creepy ones, like: where would you normally be on a Monday afternoon? She folded the packet in half and tossed it carelessly to the front of her cell. She held the pencil firmly in her hand. None of the children there would answer her questions, so she slumped over and tried to daydream. With the air practically smelling of fear it was too hard and she gave in. Instead she hummed her favorite songs quietly and eventually nodded off.

Edward completely ignored the questionnaire. Pfft, like she was going to get him to fill it out. He wasn't stupid. Looking at the other children, most of them had actually picked their booklets up and were putting in their answers. 'Stupid stupid stupid' he moaned miserably inside his head. He looked at the boy who had been talking to him previously. He assured Edward that they wouldn't die until they had outlived their usefulness. That was his point! They wouldn't be useful for more than a week with the most generous addition of time he had ever given anything ever. "We won't last the week." he chimed, resting his head on his knees. Need to find a way out of here. Need to find a way out of here. he repeated and, admittedly, working himself up was starting to feel a little good. His home life was so quiet and controlled that he wondered if this was his breaking point where he would start giggling madly at the thought of testing and generally just tormenting everyone around him. He forced himself to giggle at that thought and found that it sent a warm tingle down his spine.

He giggled some more. It distracted him from the thought of everything else so he decided that he would use it in emergency situations. However, that particular round was over once he found that he couldn't maintain it and felt he would rather cry instead. He continued rocking himself slowly back and forth to regain composure. His head was throbbing mildly from stress, fatigue, and his empty stomach. 'The police will find you or your body in a week to a month in a normal case' he said comfortingly to himself. He closed his eyes and it eased things. 'be calm...' the throbbing lightened. 'they could find you if they're fast enough and there are plenty of children she might experiment on instead of you'

"Well aren't you a ray of sunshine. Maybe you won't last since you apparently don't know how to play animal tricks. You may want to pick up that packet because if you keep your mouth shut and just play with her, you'll give yourself more time." Maybe Siku was a little cruel and snappy at the moment, but they had been kidnapped and in a way that was his coping device. Aside from the fact that kids just tended to be mean under most circumstances. By distancing himself and his emotions, he could keep himself from having a mental breakdown and allow the situation to gradually set in. Yes, he was freaking out internally, but he'd been mentally preparing for something like this since almost the day the nurse realized his hair and skin would never darken. Something other kids may not have on their sides.

He finished the packet. He made sure to carefully analyze the questions, make it so his every action would not be predictable. That girl, if she wanted to research him, she would have so many surprises her research may have to go on for a few days, maybe a week, longer. But he also made sure to answer in a way that wouldn't be suspected of obvious lying.

Shoot.

That was her first thought when Sandy saw through her fake sleep. Arisa sat up slowly, opening her dark eyes, and was about to answer when Marley came into the room, and rather noisily at that. She kept silent, quivering in the corner, as she threw all of the children small packets. When she left, straightening her back and studied the room around her calmly. Seriously now. I know this is slightly frightening, but practically wetting yourself is ridiculous. she thought, exasperated.

Seeing others open their packages and pull out booklets and pencils, Arisa felt a mild twinge of disgust. This was embarrassing, in a sense. Most of them hadn't even been cautious in the least. Though, there was one that hadn't touched his yet. And another boy was paying him out about it. Well, she could see both of their points. The first boy, he was right to be cautious. They shouldn't just bend over and let Marley walk all over them, though the second was also right. Until they knew the full extent of her plans, and what she intended to do, they should do what she wanted, to a limited degree.

Cautiously, trying not to let a grimace of disgust cross her face, Arisa opened the packet and with the pencil, turned the pages. Crouched on the floor, she frowned as she saw exactly what it was, and worked out, to a degree, what it was for. The questions were simple, though some slightly creepy. Well, she couldn't exactly not do it, but she would be an idiot to fill it out seriously. She'd warp the questions, like she did in school get-to-know-yourself tests, but more so. She'd be an actor. Pretending to be a shy, stupid, scaredy-cat. She would pretend to be someone else. Like filling in a description of a character in her stories. She did that often enough.

After filling it in, careful to not touch the pages at all with her hands, and the pencil as little as possible, she gave a small sigh of relief and sat back on her heels. Turning to the girl who'd asked her name earlier, she whispered softly, "Forgive me if I seem rude, but I don't intend to give anyone my real name. Here, I am Zephyrine, so call me Zee."

Arisa was tall for her age, and by no means pudgy. She had dark, chocolate-coloured hair cut close to her head, like a boy, and her large eyes were the same brown as her hair, only shot through with green flecks, which were bordered with thick lashes. Her face was quite angular, with high cheekbones, and rather pale skin. Other than the first few pimples of teen years breaking through, she had s kind of quiet beauty. Not completely outer either. She had a sense of peace surrounding her, as if she was quite confident in herself.

Rhea opens her eyes to see a world of blur. She feels around the cage for her glasses. " Cage? What's going on?" She wondered aloud. Her glasses had landed on a sheet of paper. When Rhea looked at it closely she saw questions on it. When she looked up she saw a woman. "Isn't that the woman from the news?" Rhea whispered. What was her name, Martha, Mary? Marley! Rhea thought with a pang of fear. She looked around the room from her plexiglass box. That is when Rhea saw the huge syringes on the table that were undoubtably going to use on her. She felt like she was going to throw up from fear. That's when Rhea heard the other children screeming and punching the glass. That always happened to Rhea, if she was nervous then all she could hear was her voice inside her head. As Rhea looked around she noticed some kids that were quiet. Rhea's head was throbbing from the chemical smell. All of this is to much, she thought. Then she thought about her foster family and wondered if they were worried, probably not she thought. The chemical smell invaded her nose and seared her brain. That is when, she blacked out...

Sandy looked over to 'Zee'. "I know that you wish for your name to be secret" Sandy said, dipping her head, "and it is intelligent of you to use your history in whatever way you can ((seeing that 'zee' was clearly an actor from watching her)), I will keep your promise". Sandy never broke promises, but some people broke promises against her, and it hurt, she didn't wish that for anyone else even when death was on the line. Sandy swiveled around as Marley stalked in and dumped a girl in the cage to the left of hers. The girl woke from her anesthesia quickly and frantically looked around, then fainted. Sandy pointed to Edward and Zee then to the girl "Is she okay?" Sandy mouthed, Sandy choose to take geology class instead of biology/health in her school. Maybe the girl had already been tested on, Sandy shuddered, and that would mean I was next...

He smiled at Siku. He did have a point, but Edward didn't care to perform. He wasn't going to be a caged animal and, if he was, he was going to infuriate Marley, not submit to her whims. "The sooner she gets this over with the better." He looked back to the packet which had been slid into his cage. He didn't have anything decent to say to Marley, but there was a piece of advice which was modified from a cliche that all parents seemed to tell their children. 'If you can't say something nice, say something clever but devastating'. He refrained from chuckling at himself for nearly no reason. "But fine, I'll fill it out." He leaned over and took the packet from the floor and looked through it. All pointless questions, all of them. If she wanted to study their characters then she should simply prod at their cages and see which ones squeaked, which ones cried, and which ones lashed out at the Plexiglas in rage. He took his pencil and filled them out as sarcastically as possible or as randomly as possible. He took his time to be as unhelpful as possible before tucking the questionnaire into his coat.

Sandy thought none of the kids would ever listen to her, it was like back at home- where she had no friends just because of the way she thought. She knew death was nearly certain but at this point the thought only made her stronger, perhaps strong enough to defy death. If that is possible, Sandy thought. She felt like she was responsible for saving the lives of these children and she would risk her own life to save theirs. In her mind it sounded like a great plan, but in real life, she was terrified, hopeless, and not courageous enough. She pointed again frantically at Edward and Zee, then at the girl who had fainted. Her condition worried Sandy. "Is she okay?" Sandy said aloud, pointing at the girl, knowing they probably didn't know any more than she did. Sandy tapped on the glass of the side of her cell to attempt to wake the girl. It was no use. She was out cold.

Edited by blazingdragon123

Edward looked disinterestedly at Sandy after her pointing caught his notice. He hadn't known that she was trying to get his attention through all of the various murmurings and conversations of the other children. Really he should be getting everyone's attention and organizing them, but he didn't care to at the moment. He looked from Sandy to the girl on the floor. "We were all drugged. Give her another fifteen to thirty minutes." He adjusted the pamphlet inside his coat and sat back stoically.

Edited by ArchiosLukos

"but she woke up earlier" Sandy pointed out to Edward "and then she just looked around it horror and fell down". It looks like something is wrong with her, Sandy thought, confused. How could everyone else just accept their fate, Sandy usually wasn't so brave or determined but she didn't want to die like this, she wanted to see her family again. Sandy wasn't self conscious either but couldn't help but wondering how her false determination looked to everyone else. She probably just looked insane. Let them think that if they want, Sandy thought, but I will get out alive and I won't give up. For the time being though, all she could do was sit back and watch. Edited by blazingdragon123

"I wouldn't be surprised if she was horrified. Most people would be." he said while looking at an empty cell in the aisle across from him. His response was no more concerned than if he were correcting a friend's homework assignment and was explaining why they were blatantly wrong on one of their answers. That is, if he had any real friends before he was brought to Marley's child lab. "She woke up, attempted to sit or stand, and the anesthesia did it's job and put her back down. She'll be up in no more than fifteen to thirty minutes." Hmmm. Maybe he should be getting everyone together. After all, he was the mature one here, right? For the most part? Well, perhaps when they all woke up unless Miss Marley H Cypher decided to do something in that time.

Carefully examining the girl through two plexiglas walls, which wasn't very easy, Arisa 'Zee' answered Sandy quietly, but clearly, so only she could hear. "She should be alright. I think she just couldn't handle the stress of waking up in a place so different from whereer she came before. She doesn't look like she's ill or such. If it were something serious, sometimes there are signs beforehand. Not always though. I'd keep an eye on her, and if she looks like she isn't breathing, then tell me."

After that was settled, she sat down, laning against the back wall, ready to act terrified if an adult came in. Studying the walls and doors, she knew there was a way out. After all, they'd all been brought in. The walls weren't very thick, they couldn't be if she wanted to observe them properly. The walls were still strong though, stronger than any child here would be able to break. But there had to be a weak point. There always was.

(Siku's a quiet character, so sorry he doesn't usually have a strong reaction to talking. He'll pick up when something happens.)

As everyone began to tell the kid- Edward, he think he heard his name as? To band the rest of the children together, Siku lapsed into silence. There was nothing more for him to say. He just had to wait for the lab girl to make a move, or for something else of importance to be said by the children. If that kid was a leader, then he could lead the children. Siku was someone who worked alone or in small groups, not in mobs.

~~

Tatsuke, on the other hand, just needed a little social push. He was still cowering in his cell, slowly answering all of the questions in the packet. It helped a little bit with his stress because it kept his mind off everything that was happening around him. If someone wasn't screaming, but trying to get attention, or if someone shut up all the rioting children, he would easily begin to pay attention with a mind of decent sanity.

((He's only told his name to Flamma's characters.))

Edward felt strangely gratified. He didn't actually know this girl's name, but he decided that he liked her. She was encouraging and knew what to do. He nodded and stood up. He needed to come up with something to say. We need to band together? We could overpower her? But she probably knows that and won't risk it. We need to find out that code for the door she keeps using. "Can all of you hear me?" he asked to make sure that they could all hear him. "We need to start toughening up. All of us. Make sure your neighbors are awake and learn their names." Which was something he needed to do. He pulled out his packet and ripped out the back cover which didn't have any questions on it. He used the rest of it as a hard surface. "Starting from my left," he motioned to the far left side of the cages. "To my right," he panned over to the far end of the other side. "I'd like your names and how old you are if you can count." They should all know how old they were. "Then we make groups. Is everyone clear on this?" he got the feeling that he'd have to repeat this, but these things needed to be done.

Edited by ArchiosLukos

((I was implying he overheard it because that was part of the conversation he'd been eavesdropping on. It's not important, he'd wait to officially be introduced in any case. I'll go back and edit if you like.))

Siku listened to everything the boy said carefully, weighing the words and their significance in his mind. When it was his turn, he reached his conclusion and spoke his peace, "My name is Siku, and I'm twelve years old. But I will not be joining a group." He dropped his voice so that Edward could only hear it if he listened carefully. Siku had taken notice of the female who had kidnapped them, working down the hall. They were in the same room, and he wasn't going to arouse her suspicion. "If my assistance is required then I will help, but there is only one person I will work with and if he is not here, then I will work alone."

Another voice burst out from the cell beside Siku's. It rivaled the volume of twenty bowls falling out of the cupboard and smashing on the ground at once. "Wow Siku! I didn't know I mattered that much to you! I-I'm all choked u-" "Sccchh! God Ekundu you are so loud!"

Siku hadn't known if he was there the whole time, and in some warped sense of his mind, he was so glad Ekundu had been taken with him. It meant he wasn't dead... yet. Now knowing his best friend, and the only person he could fully trust aside from himself, was here Siku most certainly would try to avoid regarding others as friends. Others could betray him, lured by promises of life or swift and painless deaths, but Ekundu would sooner go to his grave. Siku knew that, and he would count on it. "I work with my friend Ekundu exclusivley. He's also twelve, for the record."

~~

Tatsuke heard a boy begin calling everyone to attention. He crawled to the front of his cell and looked at him silently. Since he hadn't really been listening, he wasn't sure what he wanted, but obviously everyone was beginning to listen to him. The wails of other children were dying down, at least slightly. The order was shattered when he heard Siku introduce himself and another boy, so Tatsuke just piped up even if he was a decent distance from them. "I am Tatsuke and eight years!" He just blurted it out, muffled by a thick Japanese accent, hoping he would get the acknowledgement of the boy who seemed like a leader.

"I am Sandy of 12 years" Sandy said in the boldest voice she could manage, but quiet enough so that Marley couldn't hear from down the hall. "I will work with anyone," she added quietly "and I think I know a way out". She felt unified with these children, like a team. If Marley walked in she would wipe the slate of her face clear of any emotion, so she could hopefully be useful for longer, long enough to find an escape. Edited by blazingdragon123

((Just informing))

He printed their names on the paper in the clearest handwriting he could make. He als made them small so that there would still be plenty of room for further information to be recorded.

Siku- 12 years- white skin and hair- Ekundo

Ekundo- 12 years- tan skin, dark hair- Siku

Tatsuke- 8 years- asian, brown hair-

Sandy- 12 years- average skin, brown hair-

Sandy, so that was her name. At least he knew now and would be able to address her properly. It was good that they had as many children the same age that they did. It would make things a lot easier. He wasn't quite sure how the groups were going to work though. Clearly there needed to be an older and more mature member in each to keep everyone in line, and all of the groups would report back to him. "That woman will hear you if you all keep shouting, you know. And Sandy," he looked to her. "We'll have a meeting, so keep your idea in mind."

Edited by ArchiosLukos

Sandy smiled at Edward and nodded. She was a skinny child, and didn't like to eat often, especially in a suspicious situation, but was really hungry. She might starve to death before Marley could test on her. Sandy reluctantly accepted the questionnaire from Marley, but surely wouldn't accept food for fear of poison, a tracker ((to track them if they escape)), or a drug of some sort in it. ((just making this reply to remind everyone that their characters have had no food since they've been captured.))

Harry had been half dozing in the grass under the sun in the park when the needle pricked with skin in an arm that was shaken gently. He lifted his other arm to swat at whatever pricked him, but found it was too heavy, that a black and white haziness was fuzzing all over his body, and he shot open his eyes before the fuzziness started overtaking his brain, making him forcibly tired. He drifted off into unconsciousness, vaguely recognizing being lifted before his skin went from pinpricks to completely numb, and then to a dreamless sleep.

When he woke up, it was gradually, with horrible achiness in his muscles all over and a throbbing head. He winced, and slowly opened his eyes to see a paper packet on the stone floor a couple of inches away from his nose. Harris groaned and shut his gritty eyes again, and tried moving his fingers. Stabbing needles, it felt like, not pinpricks. Urgh. He could hear voices of other children vaguely echoing past the throbbing, and he wished there was silence in its place. Maybe he would sleep some more, until he stopped feeling as though he would throw up, at least.

"Woman? Oh right." Ekundu had been out cold for the entirety of introductions and explanations, but he did remember that red-haired woman. Unlike the others who had been alone when they were snatched, Siku and Ekundu had naturally been alone together. Ekundu, in his one-trek mind, didn't question why Marley didn't just pluck up other children. What he felt was really important was how she'd managed to get the both of them. Siku was humbled by this experience and his brainpower went to sly planning and subtle details that could get them out. It was a good thing Ekundu had a friend like that, because his tactic in any situation was to lunge out either with intimidation or force. He lived on the moment, and could hang his entire destiny on a chance if no one held him back.

"I'll fill you in. Just keep your voice down, stupid. If she catches us talking like this, it's game over. Worse, we'll get separated." Siku put his hand on the cell wall that kept him apart from his best friend, near brother. Siku could never see the recognition in Ekundu's brown eyes, or the way he tilted his head down, as the wall barred it from sight. But Ekundu dropped his voice for him. "Okay, Siku. I'm sorry." It was at that point Ekundu's stomach growled like a lion with a thorn in its paw, earning a low grumble from the tan boy. "Start talking Siku. I'm starving, if you start talking maybe it'll take my mind off starvation."

~

Tatsuke, meanwhile, was quietly on his folded knees listening to Edward eagerly. A meeting sounded like a grand idea, but how? The Japanese child glanced down at the lady still working at her desk. They couldn't exactly sneak out or pass notes. His voice was as hushed as it could be, "How do meeting? We are all in boxes and crazy girl is at nearby."

Looking up at the boy 'leader' with dark, intelligent eyes, Arisa tilted her head curiously. What should she do now? If she spoke loudly and clearly, she could give herself away. She had trusted Sandy, because in that moment she'd felt like she could trust her, this stranger who'd quickly worked out what she was doing. Hmm, alright, what would 'Zee' do? "I'm tweve. Please call me Zee." Arisa told him, eagerly but with a slight quiver in her voice. The most calculative and aware chilren may be able to tell that the quiver wasn't entirely real, but to most it would seem entirely genuine. That's what she planned, and she wanted to see which of these kids would realise. It would show her who to watch out for, in both a good and bad sense. She had already guessed that Siku would, but she was particularly interested in seeing whether Edward did.

Sandy gave Zee a thumbs up behind her back, seeing through the quiver but knowing quite a few of the kids wouldn't. Sandy began tracing her mind over the room. Air vents could have aided their escape but there were none, the door had a 9 digit code that would be hard to guess and it probably had an alarm. Sandy payed close attention the the walls for cracks, weak spots, or a hidden door. She only had the vaguest idea on how to escape.Sandy would search again when she woke, she was rather tired at the moment. In her sleep she saw blackness and heard whispering, as she frantically ran and strained her ears to hear it it just seemed to grow quieter. At last she caught a single whisper from the dream before floating up to consciousness. The whisper had said to trust her instincts. Well right now, Sandy thought, my mind is telling me escape is pretty unlikely.

Edited by blazingdragon123

Edward didn't especially care that 'Zee' was faking a quiver. In fact. he didn't even really look up at her except to note her hair and skin color. If she wanted to put up an act, then he would do nothing to impede her.

Z- 12 years- average skin, dark brown hair-

he added. There were five children so far. Oh, he had forgotten someone very important.

Edward- 12 years- fair skin, black hair- leader

There. At least that error was now addressed. He looked from side to side down the rows of cells. Luckily Miss Marley had put open bars on either side of their cages and this nice strong sound buffering plexiglass on the other sides. He could see everyone relatively well and he counted them. Twelve children? Was he counting correctly? He only had six on his list, so there was a ways to go, if he hadn't missed anyone on his list. To address little Tatsuke's question, "She can't hear us." he said, rubbing a hand across the smooth surface of the plexiglass. "As long as speak softly. We'll just talk like this. Now, I need everyone else's name as well or you're not going to be included in the list at all."

Siku- 12 years- white skin and hair- Ekundo

Ekundo- 12 years- tan skin, dark hair- Siku

Tatsuke- 8 years- asian, brown hair-

Z- 12 years- average skin, dark brown hair-

Edward- 12 years- fair skin, black hair- leader