beautifuldragon5000

uping the letter limits in the Dragon Naming

would you like longer names for your dragons?  

76 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

First of all, I do apologize if I am posting a repeat topic but I spent time looking before I posted. For me though,I like long rather complex names at times for my dragons. I was wondering if it would be possible to get a higher letter limit for Naming our dragons or if this is even a reasonable request?

I'm not sure. On the one hand, I've wanted to use names in the past that had a letter or two too much. On the other hand, I wouldn't want to see a whole description as a name. Like "He Who Basks In Rain When The Thunder Is Rolling In The West And The Sun Is Hidden Behind Black Clouds"... Or whatever it is people might come up with.

People who breed lineages are already starting to make demands of 'Only Short Names' along with the 'Only Common mates'. I feel that maybe it takes a little more creativity to come up with names that fit instead of names like Jonathon Livingston Rumplestiltskin Abernathy. So I'm not for this.

ETA: I'd MUCH rather be allowed punctuation in names - and other characters like ampersands and question marks and exclamation points.

Edited by oddsoxdi

I'd also like to add a mass prefix/suffix naming option -- have wanted one for a while, but I'm not sure I would use this. Maybe if we bumped up the limit to ten more letters/punctuation?

I'm not sure. On the one hand, I've wanted to use names in the past that had a letter or two too much. On the other hand, I wouldn't want to see a whole description as a name. Like "He Who Basks In Rain When The Thunder Is Rolling In The West And The Sun Is Hidden Behind Black Clouds"... Or whatever it is people might come up with.

Agreed. There've been times I've done lines from brief poems as names, where the name would inevitably be just one or two words too long and force a very awkward split. On the other hand, I already cringe at seeing things like "Sir Bob Thuwed Duskface 3rd Gen" in lineages, so I'm not sure I want to open the door even wider on that front.

Edited by angelicdragonpuppy

Agreed. There've been times I've done lines from brief poems as names, where the name would inevitably be just one or two words too long and force a very awkward split. On the other hand, I already cringe at seeing things like "Sir Bob Thuwed Duskface 3rd Gen" in lineages, so I'm not sure I want to open the door even wider on that front.

//sees what you did there.

personally, I like long names in intervals -- I can't really handle seeing 400+ dragon names that are long -- I have a decent amount of one-worded names, and long names, and if I saw a scroll with like, "bobwasaturkey&herllyloved2dance" I would probably be sad.

I support this-I name my dragons (breed) discipline in the case of adults, (breed) hatchie discipline in the case of frozen gendered hatchlings, and baby (breed) discipline in the case of frozen ungendered hatchlings.

There are some that I cannot name because of the limit.

I support this. I like to give my dragons intricate, hyphenated names, so I'd support raising the limit by three or four symbols. Not very many.

ETA: I'd MUCH rather be allowed punctuation in names - and other characters like ampersands and question marks and exclamation points.

Oh, yes, please. I hate to turn ä, ö and ü in my German dragon names to ae, oe and ue - it looks rather strange to me as a native speaker. I'd also like to see accents (á, à, â, ...) allowed. They are full-fledged letters, a simple "a" just doesn't replace them right!

About the letter limit: I'm not sure. I like long names, too, but I've never had problems with the limit except for a few times, so I guess my definition of "long names" does not apply to everyone here xd.png I think the limit alredy is pretty generous. I understand that people creating poem lineages have problems with the limit, but it's originally about names for dragons, and I think that the limit allows dragon names pretty well. So I'd rather say no.

I'd be much more for this.

I dislike really long names in lineages, as they tend to ruin the continuity.

I would not like an upping of name limits to occur.

Also, there's a point in naming when it goes beyond actually giving your cluster of pixels a name and it goes into the territory of stringing together a long series of words and referring to it as a "name".

Granted, I do this all the time already (so I would know), but make the names a little longer and it's going to be a lot more obnoxious.

Edited by Pink

I would support a slight increase, if it goes hand in hand with broadening the space on our scrolls for longer names so they aren't displayed in two rows. I often pick names that are a few letters longer then allowed.

I'd also like to add a mass prefix/suffix naming option -- have wanted one for a while, but I'm not sure I would use this. Maybe if we bumped up the limit to ten more letters/punctuation?

I honestly feel this would be sufficient to meet the need I have it doesn't have to be a huge jump in the letter limit. I am usually 1-8 letters over the current limit as it is. maybe, a small 7 letter slot for prefix/suffix option

Edited by beautifuldragon5000

I support a bump in the number of characters. Either this or the ability to write on our scroll and leave scroll messages... *shiftyeyes*

(I also use them to write out lines from Doctor Who so it would be useful for an increased character bump)

Oh, yes, please. I hate to turn ä, ö and ü in my German dragon names to ae, oe and ue - it looks rather strange to me as a native speaker. I'd also like to see accents (á, à, â, ...) allowed. They are full-fledged letters, a simple "a" just doesn't replace them right!

Well, if you say so, can I please have my бвгдёжзийклмнптфцчшщъыьэюя, too? tongue.gif

Which I'd support, actually biggrin.gif I'd love it if it were possible to use different characters for names. Although for some reason I think that might be rejected (or has been? :о).

I'm neutral on the character limit increase. Usually I have enough space to fit a name, but if someone feels like they don't have enough, I'd have nothing against that.

Edited by ZzelaBusya

Well, if you say so, can I please have my бвгдёжзийклмнптфцчшщъыьэюя, too? tongue.gif

Sure biggrin.gif I'd love to have the ability to give my dragons names in different languages with the correct letters. Though I'd probably not use Russian or Chinese ones due to lack of understanding X)

But I see that this would cause problems as well, especially for people with computers that do not display Russian/Japanese/Arabian/... letters. And there surely is a huge amount of letters that would have to be added...

I personally don't like longer names and what they do to the appearance of a lineage. So this would make it harder for me to find acceptable lineaged dragons to add to my collection.

But I really don't have any objection to it if there are those who find the current length restricting. The only problem I see is that it would cause the name to wrap on the scroll page because there is not room there for a longer name.

It seems to me that the need for more characters in a name often (although not always) springs from people wanting to add all kinds of lineage information about their dragon in the name. Some sort of note taking area for the owner's view only would be my preferred way of handling that problem because I really find such names quite ugly.

The thing is, if we increase it by a few characters, there's always going to be someone/people saying "but it's still not enough...". I'm neutral on this; I personally don't need it but I can see other people wanting it.

I'm neutral on foreign names as well. I completely welcome having more foreign languages and names in DC, but DC is an English site. How are mods meant to know if x name is rude/against the rules/etc? Translators may come in handy although I have no idea if TJ has considered hiring translators.

I think I remember TJ saying that foreign characters (Cyrillic, Arabian, Korean, etc) couldn't be used due to coding issues and like that.

I don't think longer names are necessary, but I would like to see simple punctuation added.

Personally, I don't happen to have a problem with the length and dislike having lineage boxes stretched because the names aren't 'stacked', but I'd support this, because so many people DO use verses, etc., in naming schemes, and would like to see more punctuation allowed, at least as far as coding allows.

Also would like to query: if virtually nobody else can read names in some languages to tell whether they might possibly have some obscene meaning, who's offended, and why forbid all of them just in case somebody puerile gets away with something gross for a while until their dragon gets killed because of it?

Speaking as someone having a heck of a time coming up with what she thinks would be suitable names, having about 1/3rd of her dragons unnamed, and sometimes using codes to put something identifiable on various of them... not that it's as big a deal, now that we can change them later and aren't stuck with them forever.

I wouldn't mind making it an even 40 if they all stay on one line (even a string of W's). Then again, I've seen a lot of So-and-so Lineagename Lineagename Scrollname Moreletters 4EG, and those aren't even names. Decisions, decisions.

However, I'd love to have periods/full stops. They'd make some abbreviations actually look like abbreviations, and I'm certain Americans will stop thinking their Misters and Doctors look funny without. biggrin.gif

I'm neutral on foreign names as well. I completely welcome having more foreign languages and names in DC, but DC is an English site. How are mods meant to know if x name is rude/against the rules/etc? Translators may come in handy although I have no idea if TJ has considered hiring translators.
You can already give your dragons inappropriate names in other languages, they simply may be spelled wrong. I don't think it makes a difference to the mods if I name my dragon Kotztüte or Kotztuete (sick-bag, btw xd.png).

But I see that it is even more complicated with completely different alphabets. Maybe we could just add individual letters like ä, á, ð or æ, that are used with the normal English letters?

I think I remember TJ saying that foreign characters (Cyrillic, Arabian, Korean, etc) couldn't be used due to coding issues and like that.
I already thought it would be a problem if links to dragon view pages still contained the dragon's name, but they only use the codes now. But if there's another coding problem, well, it's simply not possible and I'll forget it.

I don't think we need longer names, but one thing I would really like to see are periods (full-stops?).

I won't even remotely swear to this, but I thought that the character limit had to do with storage and space in the database. Also, I believe that characters from other languages take more space to store. As for punctuation, that may be an issue given that dragons' names are used to link to them.

Again, not saying any of that for sure, just that I seem to recall those things being mentioned.