DragCave Wiki

Dragon Cave Wiki

Just came by to say that I've found more vandalism, this time on the Mistletoe dragon's page. I didn't know that there had been a problem, but I was trying to look for information about why I got some male hatchlings of mistletoes and went to the wiki in hopes of finding some info. Unfortunately, I found some pretty nasty, inappropriate stuff instead.

I'm afraid that if I can't rely on the wiki for pertinent, up to date information, that I may no longer continue using it. Frankly, I always thought that anon updating was turned off since the site was always so well maintained, but now that vandalism has caught on I'd be much more comfortable with user-only edits.

The vandalism on the Mistletoe pages could be because users are know have male hatchlings and are ... annoyed. Could you please include the informations about the Mistletoes all over the wiki that bred Misteletoes can have both genders?

When will TJ learn to give us every tiny little bit of information. rolleyes.gif

And thank you for the wiki and i like it better when only a reliable few are working on the wiki, then learning swear words in English and slang. (English is not my native language so i am sure i will not get everything.) It is hard enough to read it in proper English without nasty things.

Edited by Tigerkralle

Just came by to say that I've found more vandalism, this time on the Mistletoe dragon's page. I didn't know that there had been a problem, but I was trying to look for information about why I got some male hatchlings of mistletoes and went to the wiki in hopes of finding some info. Unfortunately, I found some pretty nasty, inappropriate stuff instead.

I'm afraid that if I can't rely on the wiki for pertinent, up to date information, that I may no longer continue using it. Frankly, I always thought that anon updating was turned off since the site was always so well maintained, but now that vandalism has caught on I'd be much more comfortable with user-only edits.

I'm sorry you had to see that, however I can assure you that incidents like that are not common and they do get dealt with fast (I got to that vandal and another within 40mins of the attack), so I hope you understand that we work hard to maintain the wiki's information as accurate as can be, and incidents like this shouldn't stop you from trusting the wiki as a whole smile.gif That said, I'm taking on-board feedback from users still regarding whether anon editing should remain or not- at this stage, it has proven to provide more benefits than harm.

Could you please include the informations about the Mistletoes all over the wiki that bred Misteletoes can have both genders?

When the information first came out, I published it on the Currently Being Released page, and this information was later then moved to the Mistletoe article itself smile.gif

And thank you for the wiki and i like it better when only a reliable few are working on the wiki

I understand where you're coming from, but wikis are meant to be community projects that anyone can, and should, contribute towards. That's how information expands. Vandalism is something all wikis have to deal with- that's why there are administrators to protect the wiki wink.gif Even if English isn't your first language (it isn't mine either), we still encourage users to contribute anything they can think of that isn't already there. Even if you can't say it well, there are other users who can then correct the spelling or grammar- wikis are a team effort smile.gif That said, like I said before I'm taking this feedback on-board with regards to whether anons should be allowed to edit anymore. After the Christmas & New Year madness, I'll have new stats to post up for everyone so you have a better idea of what's going on.

I like anon editting (I used to do some cleanup myself, but gave up when I realized it'd been disabled, because I couldn't be bothered to make an account for the tiny changes I had been making), but as a compromise, does Wikia have an option to protect certain pages only, like Wikipedia does? Maybe during a release/event, you could make related pages (currently being released, new breed, etc.) non-anon, but leave the rest of the wiki open to anon editting, and reduce vandalism without dramatically reducing useful edits?

I like anon editting (I used to do some cleanup myself, but gave up when I realized it'd been disabled, because I couldn't be bothered to make an account for the tiny changes I had been making), but as a compromise, does Wikia have an option to protect certain pages only, like Wikipedia does? Maybe during a release/event, you could make related pages (currently being released, new breed, etc.) non-anon, but leave the rest of the wiki open to anon editting, and reduce vandalism without dramatically reducing useful edits?

We can protect certain pages but it's extremely difficult to predict which ones would be targeted. In the case of the Mistletoe page, it wasn't actually an anon that vandalised it, but someone with an account. It was the Golden Wyvern page that was vandalised by an anon during that time- which has absolutely nothing to do with the current events occurring. The protection tool is generally used to protect a page if it's targeted multiple times, as was the case with a category page not too long ago.

On a sidenote, to discuss the positive benefits anon editing has brought, it was an anon who clued up to add the Mistletoe gendering info to the Mistletoe page itself, like you guys were asking smile.gif And if we had locked all Christmas related articles, we wouldn't have gotten another anon who fixed up how many female CB Hollies there are in-cave.

I'm sorry you had to see that, however I can assure you that incidents like that are not common and they do get dealt with fast (I got to that vandal and another within 40mins of the attack), so I hope you understand that we work hard to maintain the wiki's information as accurate as can be, and incidents like this shouldn't stop you from trusting the wiki as a whole smile.gif That said, I'm taking on-board feedback from users still regarding whether anon editing should remain or not- at this stage, it has proven to provide more benefits than harm.

When the information first came out, I published it on the Currently Being Released page, and this information was later then moved to the Mistletoe article itself smile.gif

I understand where you're coming from, but wikis are meant to be community projects that anyone can, and should, contribute towards. That's how information expands. Vandalism is something all wikis have to deal with- that's why there are administrators to protect the wiki wink.gif Even if English isn't your first language (it isn't mine either), we still encourage users to contribute anything they can think of that isn't already there. Even if you can't say it well, there are other users who can then correct the spelling or grammar- wikis are a team effort smile.gif That said, like I said before I'm taking this feedback on-board with regards to whether anons should be allowed to edit anymore. After the Christmas & New Year madness, I'll have new stats to post up for everyone so you have a better idea of what's going on.

Thank you so much, bluesonic. I'm glad that you guys are taking this seriously and head-on, it's very much appreciated. smile.gif

I'm having issues with the Wiki right now, and the problem has been going on for the last four and a half hours or so. For some reason, next to none of the dragon sprites are loading for me. I've tried soft and hard refreshing, restarting my browser (the latest FireFox), using a different browser, etc. Nothing is fixing this problem for me; I'm hoping it's just something on my end, but this has never happened before.

Any idea what else I can do?

It happens every now and then for me, but I never figured out a solution. I'm suspecting a too low timeout threshold somewhere or something like that, which kicks in whenever the connection is too slow. On other days, the same pages work fine, with all the images. *shrugs*

edit: right now though it look like the wikia image servers are down. I don't think there is anything a user or a local wiki admin can do.

Edited by Ruby Eyes

In inspect the images are coming up with 18 errors including

"Failed to load resource: the server responded with a status of 404 (Not Found)"

edit: right now though it look like the wikia image servers are down. I don't think there is anything a user or a local wiki admin can do.

Wikia I think were doing some routine maintenance stuff- everything should be back to normal now smile.gif You can follow their technical updates here to see if they may be doing something that's affecting your view. They occasionally have "read only" periods as well during some updates, so that feed is useful to check for things like that.

Edit:

Following on this, since the 5 days that anons have been able to edit on the wiki, the wiki has received 6 different accounts of vandalism. This calls into question whether anon editing is appropriate for our wiki or not, and the community is urged to discuss whether this feature should remain.

If you already a user of the wiki, please use this thread to discuss whether anon editing should remain, otherwise discussion is welcome on this thread.

[snip]

( ~ Bluesonic1)

Just following up on the vandalism case- sorry for the delays due to the Christmas event!

The new stats counted up are from a time period spanning 13 Dec - 10 Jan. 43% of edits in this time period done by anon users had to be reverted, with 44% of these reverted edits being vandalism. Overall, 19% of anon contribution during this time period was vandalism, with 21 different anon users editing on the wiki.

In light of the new statistics, I feel it would be good to leave anon editing open, and we can revisit this any time in the future should things take a turn for the worst for whatever reason. Again, if you have a wiki account please leave your opinion and feedback on the linked thread, otherwise feel free to comment on this forum thread and let me know what you guys would prefer to do smile.gif

Edited by bluesonic1

http://dragcave.wikia.com/wiki/Category:No_Habitat

This page says there aren't any CB Hybrids besides ones on TJ's Scroll. That is not true anymore. ^^

You can edit the page yourself if you come across something like that - be bold! smile.gif - but I went ahead and changed the note to include HM winners. (I guess there's also the one or other CB alt black that isn't an HM, but I'm not sure if it needs to be mentioned on such a general page, since it's a glitch. IDK. Either way, left that out for now~)

Hope it's better now! happy.gif

As the Valentine's Day thread has now been closed and the event is no longer available on-site, I'd like to use one of Wikia's newest features to create for you a list showing popularity levels of past Valentine's Day dragons based on how many views their corresponding articles on the wiki received during that time!

During the past week, 15-22 Feb, the wiki received 61,000+ views. The following list is generated from views received across the past 4 weeks.

Popularity of Valentine's Day Dragons - 2016

• Heartstealing Dragon (3,106 views)
  • Valentine Dragon (2,927 views)
  • Sweetling (2,899 views)
  • Radiant Angel Dragon (2,697 views)
  • Arsani Dragon (2,493 views)
  • Rosebud Dragon (2,175 views)
  • Heartseeker Dragon (2,146 views)
Surprised by the results on the list? What's your favourite past Valentine's Day dragon?

Hope you've all enjoyed the event and spent the day well! Happy Valentine's Day, Singles Awareness Day or Heart Day to everyone wub.gif

( ~ Bluesonic1)

Edited by DragCave Wiki

VERY surprised ! Though I'm not as surprised to see the newest ones at the top - people would have been wanting info before breeding and to check which eggs were which. But my order of love would be more:

• Heartseeker Dragon
  • Rosebud Dragon
  • Sweetling
  • Radiant Angel Dragon
  • Arsani Dragon
  • Heartstealing Dragon
  • Valentine Dragon

Since you ask !

I'm not sure that the number of views actually correlates to the popularity of the dragon. People view the wiki pages for all sort of reasons.

I am surprised to see the Heartseekers dead last, though.

They might actually have been the most viewed because everybody wanted sprite links for trading (many spice up their trade posts with adults' images, too). The oldest breeds (Val '09 and Sweetling) are the most sought-after due to lack of CB breeding stock, and the newest breeds (Radiant Angel and Heartstealing) might be the most offered because people can now freeze *bred* ones instead of one of their precious CBs. Either way, I don't think those numbers reflect actual popularity.

I'm not sure that the number of views actually correlates to the popularity of the dragon. People view the wiki pages for all sort of reasons.

I am surprised to see the Heartseekers dead last, though.

Me too. The last should be first biggrin.gif

I admit myself that it's a crude measurement of popularity, but it's still interesting to see and discuss why some of them were more visited than others. And I highly doubt the main reason people were visiting the articles was to grab the egg sprites for trading posts due to the Which Egg is Which page (the one that lists all egg sprites) being the most popular page this month with over 20,000 views wink.gif (The bulk of our views this month was shared by that article and the Dragon Types, which again lists all sprites in one place, which got 10,000+ views)

Edited by bluesonic1

Something listing all sprites in one place might be good for some people, but not for others. I myself prefer the single dragon pages when looking for sprites because the longer lists tend to stop loading halfway down for me.

Something listing all sprites in one place might be good for some people, but not for others. I myself prefer the single dragon pages when looking for sprites because the longer lists tend to stop loading halfway down for me.

Yeah, you're not alone in that issue. It's actually something I brought up for discussion with a friend of mine who's much more wiki & code savvy than me and gotten a good solution to implement; expect to see fixes to these big articles once the dragon articles get overhauled with new infoboxes and encyclopedia information smile.gif

Random tiny (possibly dumb) question, but shouldn't the 2015 Halloween sprites be on the breeds' pages? They are technically dress-up sprites, and those from previous years are there.

Yeah, you're not alone in that issue. It's actually something I brought up for discussion with a friend of mine who's much more wiki & code savvy than me and gotten a good solution to implement; expect to see fixes to these big articles once the dragon articles get overhauled with new infoboxes and encyclopedia information smile.gif

Eager to see what that will be like. Count me as one who finds the large pages of the wiki impossible to use. My laptop inevitably crashes when I try to load them.