Evenstar

Deleting a Scroll

I agree, having a "delete my account" button seems like a bad idea. If you accidentally created extra scrolls, just stop logging into them.

As long as it was a time activated thing, I think it'd be alright. For example: to delete an account, you'd need to enter your password AND not log on to the account for, say, anywhere between a month and three. This'd keep anyone who breaks in from being able to immediately destroy the whole scroll, usually giving the real owner time to log back in and stop the process.

That being said, I'm not sure if it's needed, as there's nothing wrong with just leaving old scrolls to sit idle.

This could work if it was more like a disabling instead of a deletion. I believe facebook has it setup like this (I don't have a facebook, so i'm guessing from what i've seen).

> Disable Account [Option in Account Settings]

> Yes/No Popup "Do you wish to Disable your account" + Enter your password

> Confirm your decision by clicking the link provided in your email

> [Once you've done that] Your account is "Disabled". Meaning your scroll will not show up, all trades are ended, etc.

> Your account remains "Disabled". However, you can enable the account again by logging in.

> If you do log in, it'll ask you if you want to enable your account Yes/No. Click and it's back. No mess, no fuss.

> If you don't log in for [x] amount of time, your account will be deleted

This means, this will entirely be up to you. If someone "Hacks" you, they can't DELETE your account, only disable it, which would be fixed instantly once you log back in. If you really WANT to delete your account, just don't log in for [x] amount of time. The original scroll owner would have control, even despite "hackers".

Loss of dragon names would happen just the same as it normally would with inactive accounts.

Edited by MysticTiger

I suppose that might work, if they were willing to come to the forum to find out what to do when the hacker changes their email and password so they can't log in. I mean, that's the first thing I'd do to stop them from putting an early end to my trouble making if I gained access to an account via password.

I like this idea but it should have email confirmation required and then possibly a waiting period you can use to change your mind, say 90 days. So if someone gets their account hacked they can retrieve it. If they don't try to retrieve it in 90 days they probably don't want it that much anyway.

I like this idea but it should have email confirmation required and then possibly a waiting period you can use to change your mind, say 90 days. So if someone gets their account hacked they can retrieve it. If they don't try to retrieve it in 90 days they probably don't want it that much anyway.

But if somebody gets into your account with your password, an email confirmation is useless. They can just change the e-mail assigned to the account.

Additionally, you can't actually say that they don't want it if they leave it for 90 days. There's a lot of reasons a person might not be online for 90 days. Some people don't have internet for various reasons, some people might have left for a while but plan to return eventually, etc. IIRC we've had some people in the military who've gone extended periods of time without being able to get on?

But if somebody gets into your account with your password, an email confirmation is useless. They can just change the e-mail assigned to the account.

Additionally, you can't actually say that they don't want it if they leave it for 90 days. There's a lot of reasons a person might not be online for 90 days. Some people don't have internet for various reasons, some people might have left for a while but plan to return eventually, etc. IIRC we've had some people in the military who've gone extended periods of time without being able to get on?

*shrug* I have an account that was given to me by my sister when she abandoned this game. I have not used it at all, but still I would like to delete it because it counts as multiscrolling (or at least I think it does, even though as I said I don't use it). I want it gone, my sister doesn't care about it, but I'm afraid that if I PM TJ about it he'll burn my active scroll for breaking the rules. I think 90 days is reasonable because these days you can get internet from nearly everywhere in the world, including overseas in the military, thanks to smartphones and things like that. As for hacking, this is where extra layers of security come into play, and maybe something else can be figured out.

*shrug* I have an account that was given to me by my sister when she abandoned this game. I have not used it at all, but still I would like to delete it because it counts as multiscrolling (or at least I think it does, even though as I said I don't use it). I want it gone, my sister doesn't care about it, but I'm afraid that if I PM TJ about it he'll burn my active scroll for breaking the rules. I think 90 days is reasonable because these days you can get internet from nearly everywhere in the world, including overseas in the military, thanks to smartphones and things like that. As for hacking, this is where extra layers of security come into play, and maybe something else can be figured out.

Y'might as well PM him now that you've posted, it's not like he never reads threads around here. He can easily see that you've posted that you have access to--even if you don't use--more than one account.

As long as you never used it after your sister abandoned it then it shouldn't look like multiscrolling--TJ looks at more than just "two accounts accessed from the same computer", after all.

Besides--you may have access to the Internet, yes, but having access to it and having access to use it for things like DC are two very different things. I'm pretty sure we've had people say they've been in military service and not able to access DC for extended periods of time due to it.