Evenstar

Deleting a Scroll

I couln'd find anything concerning this, so I decided to open up a new topic.

I can see two situations where deleting a scroll yourself might come in useful.

One is simply if someone decides to quit playing and doesn't want to leave his/her scroll inactive. This player should be able to decide to close the scroll by deleting it. By deleting a scroll all dragons would be released into the wild and their names would be freed.

Another situation might occur when someone didn't read the rules in detail and missed out on the 'may not create multiple scrolls' part. The player might realize his/her mistake and may want to delete all further scrolls next to the main scroll. This should be possible, i think, without having to contact TJ about it.

The delete option could be implemented in the Account Settings part and would have password confirmation to activate it.

This option would just give those wanting to quit playing a way to 'clean up' behind them and those who for whatever reason have created multiple scroll but are now willing to correct their mistake a chance to do so themselves without bothering TJ about it.

Opinions?

I'm not sure how good I'd be with this option. To me it would just open another nasty thing hackers can do to a person's scroll if they got ahold of it. Names will naturally be deleted from dragons after a certain amount of time of inactivity. (it happened to my scroll)

I'm not sure how good I'd be with this option. To me it would just open another nasty thing hackers can do to a person's scroll if they got ahold of it. Names will naturally be deleted from dragons after a certain amount of time of inactivity. (it happened to my scroll)

Agreed.

There is nothing wrong with just leaving the scroll abandoned rather than deleting it.

I mean, I would hate to see people have a sibling or something delete the scroll. If it happens with killing/releasing/abandoning dragons, I can't see why it wouldn't happen with deleting a scroll. Or if somebody's account IS compromised.

Considering the number of people who post in Help about either they or someone else accidentally abandoning an egg, killing a hatchling, etc., etc., etc. I think this is a bad idea. I can just see the tears already!

If it is implemented it will have to have more than just one simple confirmation that this is what you really want to do.

I don't really see any overwhelming need for this to balance the possible problems it will cause.

I understand why you would want this, OP, but it is too risky. With the number of people who like to put others' eggs in every hatchery they can find to viewbomb it until it's sick and/or dead, I can see someone deleting a scroll to be a jerk without a 2nd thought. Some of our scrolls are years old. Mine is 4 years old, and even with some inactivity I would be so sad if someone deleted it. sad.gif

But you would still need a passwort confirmation. Or you could add email confirmation like with the activation link when creating an account. that would make it safer.

True, but I'm against this, for the reasons stated above. Contacting TJ isn't really that hard- just PM him with the link and ask for it to be deleted.

It also doesn't even hurt to let the scroll simply.. be inactive. There is no way of knowing if you won't decide to come back to play again at one point in the future, and some of the dragons obtained may be difficult, if not impossible, to recollect if you do ever decide to come back. Letting the dragons sit nameless on a scroll is no different then letting them sit nameless in the wild(aside from the random rare breeding that may happen out there.) The biggest difference is that the scroll owner can always come back to them if they want.

Aside from that, I agree with everyone else on the safety issue.

Edited by ParticleSoup

But you would still need a passwort confirmation. Or you could add email confirmation like with the activation link when creating an account. that would make it safer.

Right. But, in the event of having your account compromised, a password verification isn't going to do much.

If they gain access via your password, then they can just change the e-mail to one they can access and then use the email confirmation to delete it.

If they gain access via your password, then they can just change the e-mail to one they can access

True, didn't think about that. Well nevermind, was just an idea i had.

This option would just give those wanting to quit playing a way to 'clean up' behind them and those who for whatever reason have created multiple scroll but are now willing to correct their mistake a chance to do so themselves without bothering TJ about it.

I'm actually not sure I like the latter part of that.

Yes, there are new players who missed that part of the TOS and made an honest mistake. But there are also players who deliberately multiscroll to gain an unfair advantage and who might decide that the risk of getting caught has become too great so it's time to get rid of those extra scrolls. I see no reason why those deliberate cheaters should get a way to discretely erase the evidence.

By having everyone who wants a scroll deleted pm TJ, he can take a look and see the difference between the two. I'm sure he's amiable enough to let the honest mistakes off the hook, but the seasoned cheaters simply deserve what punishment they might get.

You already have a way to delete your scroll. Simply release all of your dragons, and the cave will automatically erase the empty scroll after couple of weeks.

Please don't do this if someone hacks into someone elses scroll that surly they would know his/her's password and just delete it so no i am against this

You already have a way to delete your scroll. Simply release all of your dragons, and the cave will automatically erase the empty scroll after couple of weeks.

I didn't think that last was true....

I actually like this idea. When I decide to quit I want to have an option to delete my scroll. I can't imagine releasing a few hundred dragons one by one.

I didn't think that last was true....

I've never heard anyone saying it. Granted, I don't think that many people actually tried it.

I believe that used to be true but TJ removed it, according to This News Thread.

Inactivity

If you are not active on the site, your dragons will not be taken away. However, dead dragons will be removed several weeks after death if they have not received any views for a set period. In addition, dragons may have their names removed after several weeks of inactivity in order to free up names for active users. In addition, users that have no dragons may have their accounts disabled after 30 days of inactivity.

I think a simple addition to FAQ stating "How can i delete my account? " with answer to either contact admin for it or better, provide an email@dragcave.net like most sites do to request manual deletion from designated staff. Person will have to send email from the email account that's registered to DC so that rules out hacking. This way people will still be able to "clean up" without having the need to create a tool that may get abused by multiscrollers.

Aha. Thanks for updating me  happy.gif

No problem. smile.gif

Actually, I thought that was still true myself and was going to post that, so I went looking for proof and found that news post instead.

I don't know why TJ ever removed that. I think it was a good idea. A way to "delete" your scroll, but making it nearly impossible for someone to hack and maliciously delete it by simply clicking a button.

My original scroll from June of 2008, which never had a dragon successfully raised on it, still sits empty after almost 5 years of inactivity, http://dragcave.net/user/dragongrrl, so scrolls are not deleted by the system.

When I returned to the cave two years later, the password no longer worked, yet my Forum access still worked. My current and only accessible scroll starts with my return in September of 2010.

I agree with "no thank you!" and "please no!". With how many different ways our scrolls can *already* be compromised (viewbombing, hacking, siblings being mean, etc), we don't need a way that someone else could gain access to your scroll and *completely delete it*. People start threads in Help ALL THE TIME about someone abandoning/killing their eggs, how much more drama would it cause to have the entire scroll deleted unwillingly? And no, there really *is* no truly safe way of implementing this that would be completely safe from all those malicious intentions.

If you don't want to play, don't play. I've honestly never understood the whole "have to DELETE EVERYTHING" mentality when it comes to leaving games in general. If your DC account goes inactive for awhile, the names will be erased anyways. If you *want* to go to the trouble of releasing every single dragon to the wilderness, well go ahead. But why is it so horrible to just leave the scroll sit? If you are never coming back, why does it matter one way or another? And if you *do* decide, a year or two down the line, that you want to come back... Well, you might be glad your scroll is still there.

Thanks, but no thanks. It might seem like a good idea at first, but the risks by far outweigh the potential benefit of being able to "clean up after oneself". I'd rather not see help posts going "Help! My scroll has been deleted!" only for TJ to state that it happened from their own IP. xd.png Siblings and other relatives can be mean sometimes.

Edited by olympe

Yeah I gotta say no here. People have siblings get mad at them and sneak onto their computer and mess with their things. People have their accounts hacked. Why on earth would you want a convenient 'destroy all my hard work!' button right there? If you don't want to play anymore, just stop playing. I've done that with quite a few click sites. But I don't see the point in wanting to erase everything when you go. It leaves you the ability to come back if you don't.