Delira

I'm being viewbombed

Have you been viewbombed recently?  

1,154 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Better yet:

What if images weren't tied to the dragon's code? Instead of linking to /images/code1.gif, you could link to a different code... such as /images/code1/abcdefhgid.gif and this particular code could be regenerated by the user. When regenerated, it breaks the original link and gives you a new one to link to.

At least then if you notice one of your dragons being viewbombed, you could regenerate that code and at least have some protection until the viewbomber realizes you've changed it.

Of course, hatcheries would probably have to modify their code a little bit to accommodate this.

I'm not particularly good at these stuffs (I have zero knowledge about this actually), but the way I understand it doesn't it essentially offer the same protection -- as well as limitation -- the same as fogging your egg? You still need to be available to notice that your dragons are being viewbombed :c Unless you code it to break when it notices a steep gradient in the views/time graph, which again could be coded to fog the egg when such a gradient occurs.

Actually, can't we just do that? Have an auto-fog function? Is it possible?

Edited by lazybug

The difference is that regenerating the link would remove them from anywhere they were posted rather than just the fansites. smile.gif

I'm sorry for carrying out thread necromancy but this seems to be the only appropriate place to post this

I think I may have been viewbombed recently. Yesterday, I acquired a CB Brute and CB Falconiform and didn't hide them before going to sleep. I added them to only one hatchery, but they were dead when I entered today. Personally, I don't see many things wrong with viewbombing your own dragons, but other peoples' is just unfair.

I don't think people are doing it intentionally - it's probably been mentioned before, but the Encyclopedia has generated a lot more clicking at the hatcheries.

I stick w/some of the lesser-known hatcheries & get most of my clicks/views from forum-type hatcheries or forum signatures. Since people are listing their rares on the Dragonmarket site, and in trading links, people are hunting those areas to get the Encyclopedia views.

I don't think people are doing it intentionally - it's probably been mentioned before, but the Encyclopedia has generated a lot more clicking at the hatcheries.

I stick w/some of the lesser-known hatcheries & get most of my clicks/views from forum-type hatcheries or forum signatures. Since people are listing their rares on the Dragonmarket site, and in trading links, people are hunting those areas to get the Encyclopedia views.

Are you saying the viewbombing is due to increased traffic [people reloading Hatchery pages to look for new dragons] or by clicking on those dragons? Because unless something changed, 'clicks' don't affect dragon sickness. Just wondering, because it seemed ambiguous.

And on a related note, is there a list, official or not, of dragons and frozen hatchlings that are Bright Pink or Frilled - discontinued ones?

Just to mention, I use multiple well-established sites and have found that I'm currently getting lousy U Views and not that many Views from most of them, although it ultimately works out ok overall, if generally by ERing.

DC is a public site, and therefore it's always possible that some rather pathetically warped people can gain access to it and amuse themselves by trying to kill other people's virtual pets/spoil other people's fun.

There have been Viewbombers before and doubtless will be again, and unfortunately, Fogging when unable to watch our scrolls is the only really safe method we players can use to protect ourselves.

Not only fansites but outside sites with high traffic and auto-Viewers have been used in the past to kill people's dragons, so passwords and such suggestions relating to fansites can't guarantee the safety of our eggs.

And while New Releases/Events can greatly increase the numbers of Views at various fansites, there have been times I've noticed Views/U Views actually lowered during these periods, as people actively hunting can't very well run fansites to give Views back, and as a number of people don't even realize how essential it is that users each give some the only Views we get at the fansites we use - this just when the radically increased numbers of dragons entered are so high as to make rotations showing each dragon even longer and further between.

While such circumstances can indeed make for higher Views and increased Sickness, this too often acts as cover for those who DO Viewbomb, and all likelihoods should be taken into consideration, especially considering the degree of trouble DC has already had with what's likely a very few grossly immature and spiteful people, so that players are aware, watchful, ready to Fog, either when needed because of suspicious Views or Sickness, or pro-actively, when their scrolls must be left unattended. smile.gif

Because unless something changed, 'clicks' don't affect dragon sickness. Just wondering, because it seemed ambiguous.

For as long as I have been playing, and possibly even for the entire lifetime of DC, all stats have affected sickness -- Views, Unique Views, Clicks, and time remaining. Clicks have historically been so low as to not be the stat that gets overdone to the point of causing sickness most times, but they do have an effect. Given that, if someone runs their dragons right against the edge of sickness normally, and now the clicks are higher because of the encyclopedia, it is entirely possible that they have more cases of sickness. However, I personally have not noticed so many additional clicks as to cause sickness on their own, nor to levels that would make me think there is viewbombing, so I suspect any viewbombing cases still are just that -- maliciously-intended massive increases in stats, unrelated to anything involved in normal play.

And on a related note, is there a list, official or not, of dragons and frozen hatchlings that are Bright Pink or Frilled - discontinued ones?

Like this, you mean?

Are you saying the viewbombing is due to increased traffic [people reloading Hatchery pages to look for new dragons] or by clicking on those dragons? Because unless something changed, 'clicks' don't affect dragon sickness. Just wondering, because it seemed ambiguous.

The first time you click an egg, it creates a unique view - and shows you've observed that egg in your Encyclopedia. Then, every time you click the egg, it gives it another view. Refreshing the egg while on its page doesn't create a new view, but if you close the page & click it again, it's a new view. When you just refresh pages in the hatcheries, it doesn't generate an Encyclopedia entry unless you click on the egg/hatchling to open its page.

While it's fairly easy to tell if you've already clicked an egg in a hatchery ER, some of the sites that have rotating viewers will repeat the same eggs - a process that I got to see in action on Silvi's, AoND & EAtW. I saw many, many sick Dinos, Papers & Cheeses over the past couple of days - even ones that had less than 5 days til hatching.

Very few people will look at their browser status bar to see if the egg they're clicking on is the same one they just clicked on when they're in the hatcheries. I was trying to fully unlock the entry for Imperial Fleshcrowns and must have clicked on the same hatchling about 5 times because my brain kept going, "Maybe it's a different one!" Not only was it on repeat viewing on EAtW, it was also in Silvi's & AoND, endlessly rotating. It usually took each hatchery about 15 minutes to rotate new eggs through, and even then I'd still click the same one every couple of refreshes.

So if you've only got 5 or 10 people doing what I was doing, trying to unlock their Encyclopedia pages, the impact on individual eggs probably wouldn't be that bad - but we've got a lot of players all furiously clicking eggs to open their Encyclopedia pages. Because I was aware of the fact that I was finding eggs w/softshell & sick hatchlings, I kept checking the Encyclopedia to make sure I wasn't over-clicking, but there are probably a lot of people who are just 'CLICK ALL THE DRAGONS!!!" right now.

(The one benefit of this is that you can incubate your eggs & you only need one hatchery to get them to hatch.)

For as long as I have been playing, and possibly even for the entire lifetime of DC, all stats have affected sickness -- Views, Unique Views, Clicks, and time remaining.  Clicks have historically been so low as to not be the stat that gets overdone to the point of causing sickness most times, but they do have an effect.  Given that, if someone runs their dragons right against the edge of sickness normally, and now the clicks are higher because of the encyclopedia, it is entirely possible that they have more cases of sickness.  However, I personally have not noticed so many additional clicks as to cause sickness on their own, nor to levels that would make me think there is viewbombing, so I suspect any viewbombing cases still are just that -- maliciously-intended massive increases in stats, unrelated to anything involved in normal play.

I pulled up the DC Wiki just to be sure. Now, I've been on DC for over 2 years, and as far back as I can remember, sickness was determined by UV and normal Views in regards to time since the egg was laid/stolen.

Type B (removed)

Your egg/hatchling has more clicks than unique views:

Previously, when breeding, you could get a second type of sickness where on occasion your egg/hatchling will get a click from you clicking on it but, for some reason, the initial view didn't register. This was relatively easy to fix, by simply clicking your scroll link at the top of your scroll to register a view and unique view for your egg. If this didn't work for whatever reason, you would place your egg/hatchling in a forum or on a click site where people could view it.

Like this, you mean?

Exactly, thanks!

Well, there goes my hopes of homework before work.

So two CB eggs of mine (a Hellfire and a Nebula) got viewbombed.

I fogged both. They died anyways. Now I have to deal with three ugly dead eggs on my scroll for two weeks.

What's the point of the whole "sickness" thing anyways?! All it does is make people miserable!

Edited by Myra the Sark

So two CB eggs of mine (a Hellfire and a Nebula) got viewbombed.

I fogged both. They died anyways. Now I have to deal with three ugly dead eggs on my scroll for two weeks.

What's the point of the whole "sickness" thing anyways?! All it does is make people miserable!

I think its just there for some form of 'realism,' kinda like the egg limits. Since this is just a game to us, it would be easy (for most, at least) to tend to more than seven eggs at a max, depending on what trophy you have. However if Valkemare were real and we were actual dragonkeepers, seven eggs would be a lot to handle/pushing it, on top of caring for all the other dragons you might have to care for already.

Alternatively, too much attention could harm a small creature. Simply because it can stress it out, visitors may cause physical harm, and the mass attention can allow it to easily catch an actual sickness.

That's what I think its there for...just some aspect of realism that is also probably there to keep people interested and on their toes. I think I can speak for most of the community when I say that if these eggs didn't have to be actively maintained, the game would be a lot more boring/unengaging. I left for two years myself because there weren't monthly releases at the time, so it was just kinda idle waiting for something new two happen, which could usually take a long time, and at the time I had most of the dragons besides the rarer ones which I could never really get or trade for.

Anyway, away from me; I think its to keep people active and again, "realism."

I had caught a nicely coded Chronos earlier and I switched to a different window to do some reading (I hadn't put the egg in any hatcheries). I come back to check on my babehs and the Chronos had 17 views and it was steadily gaining views. This is the first time in all of my years playing that someone has attempted to viewbomb me. It saddens me that there are people who act so petty when it concerns video games and the like and I know that if I didn't check in on my dragons as much as I do now my little ones would be dead or sick. I feel sorry for those who have this happen them and weren't able to catch it in time. To all you viewbombers, I hope you stub your pinky toe on your coffee table.

All this talk of view bombing is actually making me nervous about chatting in the forum. I like being able to chat and give people a chance to view my scroll, maybe request things, but I'm always worried about view bombing now. I can't be online frequently due to work, study, and health reasons. I guess of I end up view bombed I'll have to start hiding things till they hit the 4 day mark.

Fogging eggs until they hit the 4 day mark is overly cautious. As long as it's under 6 days (5 days if incubated) your egg will be fine, so just fog anything above that time while you're away.

Personally, I've just started leaving my scroll hidden a lot of the time. Mostly for new releases, or when I've caught/traded something especially nice.

And when it's not hidden, I at least leave valuable eggs fogged for the first day.

I find it so very curious. I have 3 Magelight Pygmy eggs caught off the AP. 2/3 have 4d11h. The last has 4d12h. How can it be the 4d12h has 330 views and the other two only about 50, when I put all of the eggs on two sites simultaneously? No, they all started at 0.

Yeah, no. I'll be fogging my babies before I go to bed, thank you.

Edited by PixelShark

Is it in EATW? If so, this might be why one of the eggs has more views than the other:

When you use these codes they will show any eggs and hatchlings that were registered to this site, not only yours. This is not a bug, but helps also your own eggs and hatchlings to hatch even faster.

Chances are somebody used the EATW codes in their signature and that Magelight was randomly picked to be included. That can be dangerous, but I wouldn't worry about it for eggs under 6 days (5 with Incubate).

I fog everything when I go to bed. I'd rather be safe than sorry. If someone is malicious enough, they could manage to make even an under 5 day egg sick.

I fog everything when I go to bed. I'd rather be safe than sorry. If someone is malicious enough, they could manage to make even an under 5 day egg sick.

5 days...hmm. Wouldn't they mostly just be forcing the egg to begin cracking? I have never had an egg sick at 5 days (exceptions being prizes who are notoriously picky), but I wouldn't want to get an egg sick either.

I fog my precious things (2G Offspring of prizes, CB rares, xenowyrms, rare or bred things I am going to gift). I honestly don't get why people view bomb. It just seems pointless and you're just wasting your time because most view bombed scrolls are going to catch the bombing eventually, and possibly save egg(s) or hatchling(s).

5 days...hmm. Wouldn't they mostly just be forcing the egg to begin cracking? I have never had an egg sick at 5 days (exceptions being prizes who are notoriously picky), but I wouldn't want to get an egg sick either.

I fog my precious things (2G Offspring of prizes, CB rares, xenowyrms, rare or bred things I am going to gift). I honestly don't get why people view bomb. It just seems pointless and you're just wasting your time because most view bombed scrolls are going to catch the bombing eventually, and possibly save egg(s) or hatchling(s).

There are ways to get enough unique views and then get enough views to make it sick. It would take more than just hatcheries, but it could be done. Yes, it would crack, probably all the way to a big hole, but since it can't hatch until 4 days, it will get sick eventually. It's not likely unless you have a particularly malicious viewbomber, but I am a bit paranoid.

There are ways to get enough unique views and then get enough views to make it sick. It would take more than just hatcheries, but it could be done. Yes, it would crack, probably all the way to a big hole, but since it can't hatch until 4 days, it will get sick eventually. It's not likely unless you have a particularly malicious viewbomber, but I am a bit paranoid.

Ditto. Especially when the views skyrocket like that. I know that eggs tend to be safe around the 5d0h mark, but that was just too abnormal for me to ignore.

Being paranoid is much better than being too relaxed; one of my friends was view bombed and she doesn't even have a forum account, so its extremely unlikely for anyone to find her scroll, but she was bombed nevertheless. She had caught a silver in the cave and her egg almost died.

Edited by Stellaluna22

I have given up any type of rational discussion in this thread. I am totally cool with the idea it's better to be safe/paranoid than sorry and if that makes you take personal responsibility and do everything in your power as there are tons of things you can do to prevent harm to your pixel game, then rock on.

However, I don't think much of people who don't take personal responsibility, want to generally whine or exaggerate drama, want attention or people to do things for them so they don't have to, etc in real life. So my thoughts on this in regards to a pixel free game are even less.

So I am removing myself from this conversation and wish you all many happy and healthy hatchies.

ok you should probably unfog them around the 2-3 day mark so they don't die if the attacker means buisness even four days could be deadly

when ever i get a rare (like a CB silver) i fog them until they are about 3 days then add them and watch them like a HAWK refreshing until they hatch if they show one sign of sickness back into the fog!