Delira

I'm being viewbombed

Have you been viewbombed recently?  

1,071 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I haven't yet had the misfortune of being viewbombed, having not been here long. Part of me is astounded that a community as nice and generous as this one is also home to such malicious individuals... but the rest of me knows that humans are jerks, and is simply astounded that the DC community is so nice in the first place!

It's a pity that there's no way to identify viewbombers, or at least greatly complicate their efforts.

I really wish there was more that could be done for this. I personally would not mind having to log into a fansite with my DC credentials to post up my dragons - I have to do that for the EAtW Dragonmarket anyway. No one should have to lose their dragons for this. It's bad enough losing ER-valuable trades, but to lose something you've worked a long time to obtain? That's just ridiculous. When people stop gifting into the community because they're getting attacked for it, it's time for a change. I, too, have noticed the increase in complaints about this issue recently. I wish I had more to contribute on a way to mitigate this horrible plague that seems to be spreading like wildfire across this site. Unfortunately, I am not familiar enough with the coding end to even know what's possible. I feel like requiring each individual user to log into their DC account on the fansites to have their dragons added would be a good start, though. I realize you can still go place things on forums and in click exchanges like Yarold's, but theoretically that takes more work - it's definitely not as easy as just typing in a scroll name and selecting everything on that scroll to try to murder. It would be a start. Lord knows we should at least try to do something.

I thought there had been suggestion in the suggestions section of the forum to make softshell and sickness less lethal, but I can't find it (checked 30 pages of suggestions and got tired). It may have been in a place other than suggestions ...

It may just be a case of me adding my eggs to hatcheries too soon, but I just lost a Glaucus egg to sickness, and my Fever wyvern egg (ironically) is sick also. sad.gif I've had eggs get sick before, but I always caught it in time and they always survived. I caught the sickness on these two and fogged them, but the Glaucus still died. sad.gif I haven't had an egg die in years.

I removed the "accepting aid" tick and hid my name and scroll...hopefully I can save the Fever.

I currently have two common eggs that got sick, too. I only put them on one site that somehow limits the views it gives during the first day, and thus is usually safe for adding eggs at 6d 12h or so, but today they suddenly got about 400 views in the one or two hours after I added them. This does not usually happen. blink.gif

ETA: I just noticed on another egg (that is fortunately old enough to get many views) that EATW is definitely giving my eggs a lot more views than it usually does at this time of day. Good for ER eggs, bad when you don't expect it.

Edited by Confused Cat

I currently have two common eggs that got sick, too. I only put them on one site that somehow limits the views it gives during the first day, and thus is usually safe for adding eggs at 6d 12h or so, but today they suddenly got about 400 views in the one or two hours after I added them. This does not usually happen. blink.gif

ETA: I just noticed on another egg (that is fortunately old enough to get many views) that EATW is definitely giving my eggs a lot more views than it usually does at this time of day. Good for ER eggs, bad when you don't expect it.

The problem may be there then...cuz that's where I added mine...and like, an hour later they were sick. sad.gif

Update: The fever is still sick, but not dead yet, which is a good sign. I hope...

I seem to recall that the owner of EATW said if you use that site you should NOT have things in ANY other site at the same time, as his mechanics are arranged to work out what views you need and deliver them....

Thought I got viewbombed too but seems it was EATW... Added two 2nd gen Black eggs that were a day old; in the one or two hours they were in the hatchery they got 620/367/1 and 906/553/1 views. The eggs I added two days before had less views than that, certainly did not expect this...

Btw, EATW is the only hatchery I use so there was no interference from other hatcheries.

Edited by Mirhana

I was viewbombed a couple of times in the last few weeks. I have not been actively posting, and I tend to not post in controversial topics, but the DC Records thread was updated recently, and I now hold 4 records.

Is anybody else with DC records being bombed?

I seem to recall that the owner of EATW said if you use that site you should NOT have things in ANY other site at the same time, as his mechanics are arranged to work out what views you need and deliver them....

Oh really? I don't remember seeing that...but it could have been there and I just didn't understand it. Their breakdown of how the site works is a little confusing to me...and it hasn't been a problem previously with using EATW and other hatcheries at the same time...I think I just unfogged too soon. Hopefully I've learned my lesson. Also, the Fever survived! biggrin.gif

It was in the EATW thread here, and there isn't one any more for - reasons. But it was ext, EATW's site owner, who said it.

I've never thought about being viewbombed or something when my eggs/hatchies got sick. Although it happend quite often the last few weeks...

But today I wanted to try another hatchery besides AoND and as I wanted to add my dragons I found out that three of them have already been added there - although I have never been to this site blink.gif

I just got my first viewbombing on a freshly caught CB (brown) copper. Within an hour, it had 166/100/0 stats - even though I didn't put t in any hatcheries. Needless to say, it got sick.

I have had it happen to me also. I had a case early this spring where someone put my egg in a whole bunch of sites after I caught a cb gold. I didn't even find all the sites where it was at. In the first 7 minutes, I had hundreds of views. And I did NOT put my dragons in any hatcheries anywhere. And I don't except help from others. I find it very rude and had to keep just that gold fogged the whole time until it was an ER case as both an egg and a hatchling. And yes, my username is not showing on my dragons pages.

I wish that Dragon Cave would require ANY hatchery to ask for a password to the user's scroll to be entered before the scroll would be read and uploaded by the hatchery. This would help stop the stalkers from do this.

I have had it happen to me also. I had a case early this spring where someone put my egg in a whole bunch of sites after I caught a cb gold. I didn't even find all the sites where it was at. In the first 7 minutes, I had hundreds of views. And I did NOT put my dragons in any hatcheries anywhere. And I don't except help from others. I find it very rude and had to keep just that gold fogged the whole time until it was an ER case as both an egg and a hatchling. And yes, my username is not showing on my dragons pages.

I wish that Dragon Cave would require ANY hatchery to ask for a password to the user's scroll to be entered before the scroll would be read and uploaded by the hatchery. This would help stop the stalkers from do this.

Except that it might NOT stop them.

Particularly NOT in cases where the attack is motivated by envy as APPEARS to be the case with your cb gold.

Edited by Silverswift

I MAY have been viewbombed. I'm new, so I don't know much.

Anyway, I had a Pygmy and a Duotone eggs, both CB and soon after I got them they were sick. I usually put all my eggs/hatchlings into one hatchery, so I have no idea what happened there. My Duotone recovered in a minute and my Pygmy recovered almost the instant I fogged it, so it turned out alright.

I ended up abandoning the pygmy for a Nebula though.

And yes, I'm a noob.

Did you add them right away? Generally you'll want to wait until they have about 6 days left before adding them anywhere (though usually I trust Eggs Around the World with my young eggs).

Better yet:

What if images weren't tied to the dragon's code? Instead of linking to /images/code1.gif, you could link to a different code... such as /images/code1/abcdefhgid.gif and this particular code could be regenerated by the user. When regenerated, it breaks the original link and gives you a new one to link to.

At least then if you notice one of your dragons being viewbombed, you could regenerate that code and at least have some protection until the viewbomber realizes you've changed it.

Of course, hatcheries would probably have to modify their code a little bit to accommodate this.

Edited by FortyTwo

I've been view-bombed again, my scroll has been added to at least three click sites that I don't use. But there seems nothing valuable to be view-bombed, as I don't have any gold nor GoN, only have one very messy AP silver that's already grown up. All my eggs and hatchling are common except the vampires, and I thought vampires are common enough. Their motivation interests me.

Some jerk just put both my cb metals into some click site. I've kept them out of ANY sites, because I was saving them for trade material, and I didn't want them to grow up too soon. But five minutes ago they jumped from ~5 views, from random scroll visits, to over 1000 each. Only those two eggs, none of the others.

I can't even find which site, and even when I fog them for several minutes they immediately start getting views again as soon as I unfog them. I'm trying to bid on a shimmer, but I can't while this is going on.

Somebody should go die in a fire. mad.gif

I lost one egg to this, Kor i noor, my sunrise, suffered from it but lucky he survived and hatched. Also my black egg had this happen and it just didn't hatch healthy, it hatched as a curled up alt black.

I lost one egg to this, Kor i noor, my sunrise, suffered from it but lucky he survived and hatched. Also my black egg had this happen and it just didn't hatch healthy, it hatched as a curled up alt black.

Actually, a curled black Alt is rather valuable in the market. You were lucky!

I've literally just had my first gold shimmer jump from ~900 views to over 5000 in three hours. I'm really scared that whoever is doing this is going to end up killing the egg; the only reason that I have it is that I got really lucky and visited Departures at the right time. Maybe someone's jealous?

Someone viewbombed all my trades. I work a 12 hour job so I wasn't around when they started getting views. And now my 3rd gen shimmer hatched and I don't think I influenced it, and a silver tinsel is sick.

Whoever did that is a

Well.

I'll leave it up to the imagination. If you're reading this and you did it, I am VERY ANGRY AT YOU.

Trolling isn't funny, it's immature and rude.

This is why I try and snag most of my eggs from the AP anymore. At least then usually it's not CB, and people don't get jealous and act like jerks.

Usually.

A few months back I did have a couple dragons get viewbombed, but thankfully fogging briefly took care of it.