Delira

I'm being viewbombed

Have you been viewbombed recently?  

1,153 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

But that is also counter-productive -- the bombers also know we know that they are out there and will continue to maliciously attack scrolls just to spite people over pixels. Technically, this post has just added to their ego by cautioning people with a problem that many see an unsolvable, despite having the fog option. Sometimes, that option does not work, and even the most cautious person can be bombed relentlessly. You are, in effect, making the situation more frightening than it is, and making the bombers redouble their efforts. I'm putting my scroll out there in the attempt they will target an individual (myself) that could not care less about this situation, and therefore, ignores the bombing attempts until my scroll is hidden and they have no more fun because my eggs are fogged. If people treat this as more than some bored kiddos that were most likely banned from the site for one reason or another trying to spite random users by viewbombing, they will keep going, since I've seen this on other sites similar to DC.

The one thing that makes me doubt this a bit is that it does seem to be the New Release threads that are targeted the most. And this has been going on for awhile. I noticed complaints about it a long time ago, as some people posted. They've lost event eggs due to this, which of course, can't be replaced.

But if people were just doing it for a reaction, why do it on release threads? On release threads, you tends to have a lot of newbies. And I've noticed that if someone posts they got bombed, everyone pounces with the excuse that "Well it's a release, traffic is higher" which effectively cloaks the view bomber's actions. Something people have done here out of habit because it's so common, it's become ingrained. And if they persist, they get modded as OT, which again, protects the view bomber. While it's true that a thrillseeker seeks a bigger thrill, what's also true is that an embittered person that felt marginalized when they sought help, might choose to take the same action that hurt them. In that sense, you end up with a virus. Someone pushes someone because they got pushed. Then they push someone else. And on and on. That would explain to me why it's spread to things like the Suggestions forum. The rare egg bombing is more obvious, pure jealousy.

Just a heads up, I'm not implying anything. But if EATW gives you a couple of hundred views within a few seconds for something marked as an ER, that is normal now apparently o_O

Interesting fact. If you post an er egg in all the hatcheries at once they grow up in less than a minute.

I don't get view bombed very often, I usually can catch them pretty quickly. And my eggs are tough lil buggers :3

A friend of mine, who routinely keeps her scroll hidden, caught a nice egg on the Drops yesterday - by the time she'd noticed that the new egg had been targeted by a Viewbomber who'd evidently missed it and noted the code to try to kill the egg, it was then, if I recall correctly, at over 1 and a half thousand Views and had nearly 900 U Views.

She's keeping it fogged until it can be hatched, but she'd planned to gift the egg and is now afraid to, in case it dies on the giftees scroll or continues to be targeted.

She was afraid to post here and I'm not mentioning her name to protect her.

I'm still fogging my dragons when they can't be closely watched in case I get targeted again by whoever was obsessive enough to re-post my eggs in EATW twice, immediately after my removing them, and then entering them elsewhere - and a lot of other people are now keeping theirs Fogged as well, for the same reasons.

Is this the sort of situation we want to continue here at DC, or do we want something done to protect players against this sort of vindictive lunacy?

This is not the Hunger games - it's supposed to be a safe, family-type pet-dragon-collecting game where people have fun.

I had a vampire egg (bitten by one of my vampires) that got 9000 views within a couple of hours. None of my other eggs had that many views, so I guess someone was angry that I bit an egg I found on the AP dry.gif

I hid the egg and and un-fogged it when it had less than 4 days. It hatched immediately and then got sick. I had to hide it again and un-fog it when it was under 4 days.

jis99 said:
I had a vampire egg (bitten by one of my vampires) that got 9000 views within a couple of hours. None of my other eggs had that many views, so I guess someone was angry that I bit an egg I found on the AP  dry.gif

I hid the egg and and un-fogged it when it had less than 4 days. It hatched immediately and then got sick. I had to hide it again and un-fog it when it was under 4 days.

Those viewbombers are terrible. I haven't gotten viewbombed yet, hopefully those viewbombers are going to give up viewbombing. 

Edited by Lamp

A friend of mine, who routinely keeps her scroll hidden, caught a nice egg on the Drops yesterday - by the time she'd noticed that the new egg had been targeted by a Viewbomber who'd evidently missed it and noted the code to try to kill the egg, it was then, if I recall correctly, at over 1 and a half thousand Views and had nearly 900 U Views.

She's keeping it fogged until it can be hatched, but she'd planned to gift the egg and is now afraid to, in case it dies on the giftees scroll or continues to be targeted.

She was afraid to post here and I'm not mentioning her name to protect her.

I'm still fogging my dragons when they can't be closely watched in case I get targeted again by whoever was obsessive enough to re-post my eggs in EATW twice, immediately after my removing them, and then entering them elsewhere - and a lot of other people are now keeping theirs Fogged as well, for the same reasons.

Is this the sort of situation we want to continue here at DC, or do we want something done to protect players against this sort of vindictive lunacy?

This is not the Hunger games - it's supposed to be a safe, family-type pet-dragon-collecting game where people have fun.

Same story happened on my friend's scroll, she caught a CB gold and it got 400+UV in half an hour.

She fogged it for days but it still died.

Sad story, makes all of my friends hide their fresh caught nice egg as soon as possible now.

WARNING: My black stripe egg got 1000 views in less then 2 minutes using EATW alone, Thankfully it is an ER so it has a higher chance of survival.

My vampire hatchling has went to 1000 views to 2000 this fast aswell, this may be a steer clear day.

EDIT: Black stripe egg just hatched fine, removed it ASAP when it hatched.

Either a normal ER viewrate or something has made the views grow. It is NEVER this large for me, normally it is like maybe something like 50-120 Per 40 sec. Possible viewbomber then?

ANOTHER EDIT: vampire hatchling is up to quite a amount of views quickly...cant show you because it doesnt have a lineage.

EDIT ONE LAST TIME: I just saw non ER eggs at stage 5 with 2500-3000 views....seen 23 already.

Now Dragon Cave is starting to lag a ton.....whats going on....

Edited by Neomaka

WARNING: My black stripe egg got 1000 views in less then 2 minutes using EATW alone, Thankfully it is an ER so it has a higher chance of survival.

My vampire hatchling has went to 1000 views to 2000 this fast aswell, this may be a steer clear day.

EDIT: Black stripe egg just hatched fine, removed it ASAP when it hatched.

Either a normal ER viewrate or something has made the views grow. It is NEVER this large for me, normally it is like maybe something like 50-120 Per 40 sec. Possible viewbomber then?

ANOTHER EDIT: vampire hatchling is up to quite a amount of views quickly...cant show you because it doesnt have a lineage.

EDIT ONE LAST TIME: I just saw non ER eggs at stage 5 with 2500-3000 views....seen 23 already.

It's not necessarily a full explanation for your case, but EATW changed quite a few things about their website that causes a very high rate of views. According to the admin, it should not be making your critters sick, though; the view jump may be alarming, but no sickness should occur. (Freshly caught/bred eggs still might, some people have reported as much, but ERs should be fine.)

Edit: Regarding the "can't show you because it doesn't have a lineage", just a tip, you can replace the "/view/" in the dragon's URL with "/lineage/" to link to caveborn dragons.

Edited by pinkgothic

I don't know about the lag, but you're (probably) not being viewbombed- EATW just does that, now. Supposedly it's calibrated to prevent sickness so long as it's your only source of views, although I don't know if that still holds for extra-sensitive breeds like tinsels.

'Reworked internals' posted by Ext3h on 06/03/2013

The internals of the hatchery / ER have been fully rewritten.

It is now completely safe to add fresh eggs at the 7 day mark to the hatchery as no egg or hatchling can get sick any more.

ER status is no longer determined based on the time remaining, but rather by the number of views, unique views and clicks in relation to the dragons age.

If your egg or hatchling is flagged as "ER", that only means that it won't be able to hatch in time at the current stats and should be added to the hatchery soon. If you prefer, it is still completely safe to wait until the 6 hour mark in case you are planing to trade.

EATW will automatically hide your egg / hatchling from the rotation once a healthy numbers of views has been reached. It will be shown again once it is ready to receive more views.

However, it is no longer safe to use EATW in combination with other hatcheries. The sickness protection only works if EATW is the only hatchery used, using it in combination with other hatcheries will lead to sick eggs, this is inevitable.

Also, you can totally link lineages for caveborns- all you have to do is paste their code in on anything else's lineage page, like so: http://dragcave.net/lineage/r1Frk

I had a egg at 3 days and 23 hours before with 0 views that didnt show up as ER ohmy.gif (Though that was like last month. tongue.gif)

Even then, its unusual for it to be that fast. It was barely under 4 days and usually it got like 100 views in a minute instead of this. Guess i was just surprised.

As for the actual viewbombing, i dont think i have ever been viewbombed but i cant really be sure, although i have mistaken me leaving trio hatchlings in Silvi's lair for a few days for viewbombing even though they barely got any views each day. I was thinking they put them in such a sluggish hatchery that i wouldnt notice. In fact i didnt even notice until they were at 5 days left and gendered. Only about 100 views each day. I then realized the person who traded it to me must of done it. Then i facepalmed so hard at myself.

Add me to the list of having been view bombed. I just lost a CB silver at six days old. I had it listed for trade on EATW, and had placed it in NO hatcheries. It took all of five minutes to kill my egg. I was online at the time, but looking through trades instead of refreshing my scroll once every minute.

All important eggs are fogged any time I'm not here at my computer. I check hourly to make sure that no one is sick. Because of this my scroll is now hidden, and my shimmer eggs fogged just in case. None of the other eggs had gained a significant number of views. My Silver went from under 50 views to 1400 in such a short amount of time, I strongly suspect an auto-refresher.

This really ticks me off since if I didn't get an awesome offer on it, the silver would have ended up as the mate to one of my shimmers. The eggs produced from that pair were going to be donated to people who didn't have one yet.

I am not sure, but I think my Silver was view bombed. (A while ago.)

Anyway, I put my eggs all over the place as soon as I get them and wait for them to get sick and then fog them. I am on my PC most of the day, and part of the night, so I don't really have a problem. Once they stop being sick, usually around the six day mark, I put them all over again and they are fine.

I am mostly here because I am curious as to whether or not someone attack my Silver, that was the only hatchling I have ever had get sick but it was the only egg that got (possibly) attacked as far as I know. I am probably imagining it, and I fogged it until it only had a few days left, so it didn't end up with any more views than the others. *Shrug* Any more info I need to put here?

People these days are just terrible. Luckily I check my scroll daily, but the fact that some people do this kind of stuff on purpose makes me feel sick. ~Myra

Never personally had this happen, but I'm paranoid about it so much that I don't tell people my scroll name.

Don't think I have. I only use two hatcheries and I rarely get sick eggs (I think I've only ever had three so far, and all survived) and haven't gotten a sick hatchling yet. I suspect one day I will, since I am blunt and occasionally tend to annoy people, but so far so good.

For the curious, I use Eggs Around the World and Valley Sherwood (the former because it boosts views quickly, the latter because it tells me how long till stuff happens and it doesn't seem big enough to cause illness in combination with EAtW).

Just keep all the hatcheries the Bomber has gotten to in a tab. Then just keep removing yourself.

Or just remove your dragons from the hatcheries you normally use. And the hatcheries the Bomber has added you in should take care of them for you.

Everybody is healthy again, I'm going to just have to keep a very close eye. I fogged everything except for Serenity, because she's an ER now. Hopefully that'll be enough. Thanks everybody.

I guess I have to be removed from that shimmer list though, since I'll be fogging and hiding my scroll on a regular basis. I wonder if maybe that had something to do with it? That'd be awful D:

If you need shimmers, I can get you some!

I got reverse-viewbombed even, someone was removing my dragons from hatcheries a few times wink.gif

If you need shimmers, I can get you some!

Me too -- I can breed silvers and bronzes. They'll be high-gen, not special at all, but a shimmer's a shimmer if you don't have one, right? tongue.gif PM me if you want me to try breeding you one.

Viewbombing is something I haven't been hit with yet personally. I don't see many sick eggs and I haven't lost anything in a long time, but I keep watch on my scroll anyway just in case. It sort of sucks. I never had to worry about this sort of thing back in '09, '10. But I hear others were viewbombed even as far back as that so I guess I've just always been lucky.

I just don't get it. I've missed out on lots of caveborn eggs I would've REALLY wanted - including two Blusangs, four Golden Wyverns, two Ices, and a Copper - and once or twice I did do URL editing to see where they ended up out of curiosity, but it would never occur to me to try to spitefully kill the eggs just because I didn't get them. It's sad really. Makes me want to do some sort of 'viewbombing victims gifting' thing where I try to find eggs to approximate what they lost... given how widespread it seems to be though it's likely too big a project for one person to tackle. x.x

My Avatar of Creation was just viewbombed. I use only one hatchery, and I wait until my egg has less then 4 days before I put it in the hatchery. Now I have a sick hatchy, which is now hidden.

mad.gif

My Avatar of Creation was just viewbombed. I use only one hatchery, and I wait until my egg has less then 4 days before I put it in the hatchery. Now I have a sick hatchy, which is now hidden.

mad.gif

Personally, from what I can see, I think all the people assuming that their Avatars got view-bombed is a bit of an overreaction. A lot of the times I saw such complaints the hatchlings in question had rather moderate stats (for Avatars, that is).

Eggs of that breed, as well as Tinsels and Shimmers (and GoNs I think), need a whole lot of views to hatch. If the hatchery you were using has a feature that adds dragons to the ER section automatically when they're already in the main hatchery or if you just added it to the ER right away, it's no surprise that your egg got that amount of views.

When I ER my Avatars, they gain around 700-800 unique views, a couple thousand overall views, and obviously they hatch really sick. What I do I do on purpose to force-hatch them (none have died so far, and I use the same method for Prizes usually), but even without shoving them into all hatcheries possible a rather high amount of views can be accumulated with 1-2 ERs. If the hatchery cannot provide the egg with a lot of unique views (like the EATW tends to do, for example), eventually it compensates that lack with a ton of overalls, which is why, I guess, your hatchling had 6k OVs.

In any case, if you keep your hatchling fogged, it will be just fine eventually. From my experience those stats are way too far from being dangerous, so that's not a reason to worry.

Good luck!

Edited by ZzelaBusya

I've never been viewbombed. Probably because I've never caught anything worth getting spiteful over. It's never even occurred to me to look where eggs I miss go to - all that would do is frustrate me and waste time I could be spending hunting. People need to realise that you can be on this site for years as I have and never get a cb metallic. I still can't even get myself a CB ice or golden wyvern let alone a silver or gold. Being petty over it is a waste of time

Personally, from what I can see, I think all the people assuming that their Avatars got view-bombed is a bit of an overreaction. A lot of the times I saw such complaints the hatchlings in question had rather moderate stats (for Avatars, that is).

Eggs of that breed, as well as Tinsels and Shimmers (and GoNs I think), need a whole lot of views to hatch. If the hatchery you were using has a feature that adds dragons to the ER section automatically when they're already in the main hatchery or if you just added it to the ER right away, it's no surprise that your egg got that amount of views.

When I ER my Avatars, they gain around 700-800 unique views, a couple thousand overall views, and obviously they hatch really sick. What I do I do on purpose to force-hatch them (none have died so far, and I use the same method for Prizes usually), but even without shoving them into all hatcheries possible a rather high amount of views can be accumulated with 1-2 ERs. If the hatchery cannot provide the egg with a lot of unique views (like the EATW tends to do, for example), eventually it compensates that lack with a ton of overalls, which is why, I guess, your hatchling had 6k OVs.

In any case, if you keep your hatchling fogged, it will be just fine eventually. From my experience those stats are way too far from being dangerous, so that's not a reason to worry.

Good luck!

Not in this case.

Views 6,595

unique views 453

clicks 1

Too big of a discrepancy between views and unique views to be an accidental event.