TJ09

2013-05-25 - DC's 7th Birthday - Day 4

@Troubletail:

No, you are definitely not alone ! wink.gif It's nice to hear from all "the others" who think along those lines, too !

@Vocalia:

Yes, that's what I assume for my Hellfires, too. Raised by at least one non-Hellfire parent among non-Hellfires. smile.gif

@Blue Nadir:

People REALLY read this much into pixeldragons? blink.gif  Not liking the art/sprite, I can understand... But traditional dragons are in general covetous and brutish beasts, which is why they end up dead in most stories.

Yes, some people do. Me being one of them. To give you my reason(s):

- For me, DC is more than just collecting images/sprites. It is about the different kinds of dragons. And those differences aren't just in the pictures, otherwise the whole concept of the breed descriptions would be pointless.

- If traditional dragons are covetous and brutish beasts depends very much on the tradition you are referring to. There are whole areas of legends (the far east being the most prominent, but not the only example), where dragons are seen as either positive or very different in character. So, yes, brutish and coveting is a very common path of character, but it by far isn't the one and only option.

- The other thing influencing my relationship to a site like DC are roleplaying games and fantasy. And in there you'll find a wide variety of dragons, in character as well as appearance, often even within one "universe".

- When I see things and creatures related to legend and/or fantasy, I tend to think of the stories behind them, not only of the picture I see. That's why for me the dragons on my scroll aren't just lots of different pixely pictures, but lots of different pixely pictures representing different concepts. I'm not one of the people with the zeal to write up a personal story for each dragon, but if a breed is described as having a bad character (be it brutish, excessively vain, or plain sadistic) that's as much part of the "collectible object" for me as the sprite is. The mix of both will then have a big influence of how many I want to have.

Hope that helped in dampening your amazement/irritation a bit. wink.gif

@Firebirdwyvern, Completely_Different:

Anyway, I don't see anything wrong with the Hellfire's description. A lot of animals in nature are dominated by the feminine breed, hyenas are big ones, then there's some lemurs and such.

Aggressiveness in the female can easy come from having to survive in a harsh environment like the volcano too

I know that nature produced some species where certain groups of individuals are very dominant. I also know that nature can be very harsh. All very well and good.

But: We are not talking about animals here, or simple "natural" beings. Dragons usually possess intelligence and self-awareness, they are supernatural creatures, not mere animals. Animals aren't cruel, they just follow their instincts. Lions killing cubs has genetic reasons, Hamsters eating their offspring is most probably a result of either environmental resources or species regulation. Point is, they don't do it out of sheer cruelty/fun/spite. Of course, if you see dragons as just another group of animals, then you are right, animal behaviour is natural and has its reasons, it doesn't make the animal "good" or "evil" (or a jerk). But for me, seeing dragons as intelligent beings, able to reflect upon their actions, with behaviour not only dictated by pure instinct, these differences are as relevant as they'd be with humans, for example. And yes, now we are in the area of behaviour influenced by cultural standards, which might be the case with the Hellfires ("if brought up elsewhere" and so on). That's why I wouldn't have any reservations agains Hellfire males, but I don't like the sprite very much. wink.gif

And don't forget the "superatural" aspect - in legend and fantasy there often isn't even the cultural theme, because it's postulated that an absolute, universal standard of "good" and "evil" exists, and that certain kinds of creatures are born either this way or that. (No, not the Hellfire males, but with the females I'd already be unsure.)

Having said all that, to help some people understand why other care so much for the personality of a breed, back to the real topic:

The gendered male looks really good so far (Nightmare it is, hooray!), but I would have expected more... muscle and fierceness in a breed like this. But perhaps that comes with the adults. Or these are more the "slinking shadows surrounded by flames" type of creature. Which can be attractive for sure, I just prefer the ones with a little more frame.

Edited by Lantean_Pegasus

It is cool, isn't it? Thanks, LadyLyzar! smile.gif

Unfortunately, the only two I had for breeding had one no interest and one refusal so no new eggies for me today. Are the previous day's ones still dropping in their respective biomes?

sadly we don't know sad.gif

A Breeding only Dragon eh? For some reason this Dragon makes me think it can be obtained by breeding a Horse Dragon with a Hellfire Dragon.

Anybody think this would probably be called a Nightmare Dragon?

A Breeding only Dragon eh? For some reason this Dragon makes me think it can be obtained by breeding a Horse Dragon with a Hellfire Dragon.

Anybody think this would probably be called a Nightmare Dragon?

it is a horse x hellfire LOL ah I love hatcheries

*pokes hatchling* I want female S2 nao

No hatchling dimorphism though.

I guess TJ doesn't freeze S1s. I was wrong about dimorphism, I think.

Edited by TVTD

No hatchling dimorphism though.

But then TJ would only have 3.

This hatchling’s behavior is not cute at all; It keeps trying to kick and bite you.

And look! It has grown wings, and flickers of flame have appeared along its body. Maybe something is happening?

I would nip this behavior in the bud by rubbing a Waterhorse on my hatchling.

"I'm sorry, little guy, but if you continue to flicker flames at me in that manner then you have to remain covered in moisture retaining gelatinous goo."

But then TJ would only have 3.

Yeah, I thought TJ froze S1's but I was wrong.

@ Lantean: Sure, they're intelligent beings- but just being intelligent doesn't necessitate being moral. Really, it makes logical sense that some intelligent beings who keep the same harsh, fierce instincts they evolved when they weren't sapient.

And while Drag Cave definitely has a supernatural theme, many of the breeds are natural animals- sure, they have magic, but they're the same as every other creature. I also think its different from the fantasy trope of the Always Evil Species, since the description outright says their meanness is partly cultural.

Personally, every concept I make for DragCave has its species behaviour very much rooted in nature. So every breed- even ones that can be quite nice and good company in the right conditions- has some natural traits humans wouldn't find particularly pleasant. For example, wild BBW are kind of xenophobic. They hate mixing with other breeds. I think it makes the cave more fleshed out if we have a wide range of behaviours.

Completely Different, you just explained humanity in a nutshell with that first line xDDD

-pokes the to-be female hatchling-

I want to see the lovely dimorphism!

These are awesome.

I love the little S1!

So far, these are my favorites!

I would nip this behavior in the bud by rubbing a Waterhorse on my hatchling.

"I'm sorry, little guy, but if you continue to flicker flames at me in that manner then you have to remain covered in moisture retaining gelatinous goo."

xd.png Great idea!

I love the hatchlings xd.png

I wish I had more horses, i was only able to breed one );

Aww my only Hellfire are still hatchlings. Oh well, at let I have some at all. Seeing as I just came back to my scroll after being gone for about 3 years. lol. I'll have to try breeding these little guys some other time.

What pretty eggs and hatchies! Love the colors too!

I can't wait to see them grown up!

Fantastic job, LadyLyzar! smile.gif

Edited by Dryadia

Breed-only? Well, that gives me some time to go and get another CB Horse then. biggrin.gif I have two CB Hellfires and one CB Horse (male). I guess I'll just wait for the whole release to be over and then try to get those lovely Day 4 dragons.

Oh, another hybrid!

Thank you! I'm a big fan of hybrids, since they give worth to all those common dragons that often get shunted into the AP. I'm going to hold off on breeding those, until the dust settles a bit. smile.gif

But they look really, really lovely. I think they just might become my favorites, together with the Soulpeace dragons. smile.gif

O:

O8

If the adults live up to the hatchies, this is one I'll hoard for sure!

What a tease! Both males have developed, but neither of the females xDDD

I think I'm gonna take this opportunity and not try to breed some right away. I need to free up some egg space.

Wow I saw TJ's now got wings. They look awesome! I like the colors of orange and purple. They somehow remember me of the sunsets.

May the females have blue accept orange like the female hellfires?

Edited by Draconis92