chariset

Able to look at lineage in AP

would you want to look at a egg/hatchies lineage in AP  

116 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I'm not talking about CB/non-CB. What I mean is that people who use it would be able to find eggs with a desired lineage faster than those not using it would.

Exactly, and the fun thing about the AP is getting goodies by surprise. Most of the things would be pretty much worthless if not for the pleasant surprises you get from time to time.

Also, we get back to the fast connection Vs slow connection. The fact that you can't see the lineage gives people with slow connection a small advantage. While you are lurking the AP with other 80 people, most of them are not competing for the same egg.

If this were implemented, we would be back at Cave status, where we are competing against faster connection users who can see the lineages quicker than us and have a better response time.

I think the AP is fine as it is. Don't like the lineage, drop it back.

I do not support this as it is not as if you have a 5hr hold to wait out cause you can abandon an AP egg immediately

I do not support this as it is not as if you have a 5hr hold to wait out cause you can abandon an AP egg immediately

That has nothing to do with the given situation. It's a fact of the AP. Your protest has nothing to do with the issue at hand.

That has nothing to do with the given situation. It's a fact of the AP. Your protest has nothing to do with the issue at hand.

I think that Merlot is trying to say that abandoning an egg in case you don't like the lineage is a thing very easy to do (you don't have to wait for 5 hours like after grabbing an egg in the cave). Therefore creating a whole feature which would let people view the lineage of eggs in the AP (thus making people not have to take eggs and throw them back again) isn't necessary.

Something similar was suggested in this thread; this isn't a feature I would use, but as long as it was optional I think it would work.

It's so curious when people start saying that leaving it as something optional would solve the problem x)

I mean, it's like when a suggestion is "Let's give everyone a chocolate cookie!"

And someone says, "Well, no, I think that giving everyone a cookie isn't right because this and that."

And then people say, "Why not make it optional then?? Those who want a cookie would choose to get it."

(Before anyone starts saying that AP lineage links are not cookies, I know, but you understand what I mean, right?)

Come on, if this feature got implemented and were optional, everyone (or most people) would most likely end up turning it on, because it makes hunting easier (and to catch up with those who have turned it on and therefore have an advantage which was mentioned above). But what I think is worth looking at is that WHY people think it's not right to accept this suggestion in the first place.

Edited by ZzelaBusya

No thanks.. There are things we need much more than this is the game.

Optional or not, this feature would basically equal lag. that bronze shimmer is staring between your Neb hatchie's legs, Ninetails... I still do not support.

Think of all the coding needed!

Do not support.

Picking up eggs and looking at their lineages is part of the fun of the AP. Each egg is a surprise, in the spirit of the AP.

Plus, I agree it could cause lag.

I don't think the AP's current setup is broken so I'm against this proposed 'fix'. There really isn't any reason why you should be picking up and dropping the same unwanted egg multiple times. You can already see the destination URL (and thus the egg's code) on mouseover; if you didn't want it the first time you can recognize it when it comes up again and just not click.

The AP in its current state is a gamble, which IMO is part of its value to the site. Users with faster connections will always have the advantage when it comes to snagging CBs from the biomes and AP'd eggs of rare species, but when it comes to lineages the playing field there is, if not even, at least a bit closer. Is that Vine egg a CB or a potential alt, is it an artistic even-gen or a tinselfail 'oops' egg or a sprawling, convoluted mess? Without foreknowledge, slower users have a decent chance of getting something nice since everyone is taking the same chances; letting AP hunters know what they're getting wouldn't just take away the fun of surprises, as some have already mentioned, it would dramatically increase competition for the 'best' eggs and would further favor those already in an advantageous position while making things harder for those already at a disadvantage.

Even aside from the impacts on users, I'd worry that this could negatively affect site functionality. Remember those sprawling, convoluted lineages I mentioned? Imagine the additional of lag trying to load dozens and dozens of users mousing over lineages like this simultaneously. Imagine how much of a hassle it would be for the programmers to try to code a way to display these manageably in mouseover format.

Finally, there's another way in which this might break functionality, although this one I'm less sure of. I've heard people say that the AP only reshuffles after an egg has been taken. (Ergo why sometimes refreshing the page merely brings up the same set of eggs with a different 'Users viewing this page' count) If that is true, then implementing this, in addition to its potential to create competition and lag, could increase the tendency of the AP to 'stick' on the same page of eggs more than it already does. Rather than users moving the queue along by grabbing and dropping, egg flow would bog down because the least-desirable eggs would start functioning like blockers in the biomes.

The amount of hassle it takes to abandon an AP-grabbed egg you don't like is minimal. There are plenty of traders and games and gifting threads where you can get guaranteed good lineages; if you don't want to take the risk of getting trash, all you have to do is go there instead of digging around in other people's discards.

Eh... I kinda feel like you get a LOT of happy accidents by picking up and then going to view.

I don't think the AP's current setup is broken so I'm against this proposed 'fix'.  There really isn't any reason why you should be picking up and dropping the same unwanted egg multiple times.  You can already see the destination URL (and thus the egg's code) on mouseover; if you didn't want it the first time you can recognize it when it comes up again and just not click. 

Unless it was changed, you can't do this anyway. It will just say that you misclicked (i believe) if youve picked up that egg and abandoned it before, without someone else having picked it up and abandoned it after you did so.

Edited by girlgamerjen

It's very irritating picking up an egg, looking for CBs and/or a good lineage, and finding that you're trying to pick up the same one over and over, or picking up messy ones all from the same breeder.

You can't pick up the same one over and over. Just saying.

This is not even slightly necessary. It's a matter of moments to check and abandon.

I don't support this. Even though I sometimes wish there was something like a lineage preview, it seems like a bad idea, and for the following reason(s):

The only way this could work is by showing you the lineage if you hover over an egg. Which, of course, would be neat. But it has several disadvantages:

- It takes time. Time in which someone else will have taken the egg, unless it's a blocker breed.

- Traffic. Loading lineages can take a while, especially during lag. Now imagine dozens of people looking at new lineages every other second. Definitely good for the server.

- We can already grab and re-abandon eggs from the AP without any delay. Unless it's a repulsed CB vampire with 7 days left. But since we don't even get to see them nowadays, this is probably a moot point.

It's so curious when people start saying that leaving it as something optional would solve the problem x)

I mean, it's like when a suggestion is "Let's give everyone a chocolate cookie!"

And someone says, "Well, no, I think that giving everyone a cookie isn't right because this and that."

And then people say, "Why not make it optional then?? Those who want a cookie would choose to get it."

(Before anyone starts saying that AP lineage links are not cookies, I know, but you understand what I mean, right?)

Come on, if this feature got implemented and were optional, everyone (or most people) would most likely end up turning it on, because it makes hunting easier (and to catch up with those who have turned it on and therefore have an advantage which was mentioned above). But what I think is worth looking at is that WHY people think it's not right to accept this suggestion in the first place.

Agreed.

This is not one of those things where "optional" solves the discrepancy.

These topics were merged due to being practical duplicates. I left the one with the poll so there would be countable statistics.

Not something I'd want, unless the lineage would appear somewhere it didn't block or prevent clicking on any eggs...

For Firefox, there's a tiny Greasemoneky script that can view the page of the dragon if you click on the link and displays it near the bottom of the eggs in the AP, so it says "view" under the egg. Its for Greasemonkey and does not affect the game in any way and only allows a view of the egg itself without needing to adopt the egg, view it, then abandon it. There's a similar one for Tampermonkey for Chrome too. It's not a view lineage link, but its close to it.

Edited by Devyn Star

You can't pick up the same one over and over. Just saying.

This is not even slightly necessary. It's a matter of moments to check and abandon.

Honestly, you can even cut it down to 2 seconds. Copy your password (or the words for abandoning or whatever) and just click, click, CTRL+V, and click. Done.

I wouldn't because by the time you've viewed the lineage of a rare it would have been taken. I would use it to view the lineages of common commons only.

I wouldn't because by the time you've viewed the lineage of a rare it would have been taken.  I would use it to view the lineages of common commons only.

I wasn't talking about rares only. Imagine that two people are searching for a 3rd gen checker Mint (x Gold or whatever), and suddenly it appears in the AP, while those two people are hunting there. A Mint is a common. In case there is a lineage viewer like that, which person would most likely get it faster - the one who'd be using the feature or the one who wouldn't?

That's what I meant. It would affect hunting for commons as well.

Edited by ZzelaBusya

I support! I'd love this feature biggrin.gif If at the very least to designate CBs it would be a big improvement.

I think it being optional would be a good idea as well.

I wasn't talking about rares only. Imagine that two people are searching for a 3rd gen checker Mint (x Gold or whatever), and suddenly it appears in the AP, while those two people are hunting there. A Mint is a common. In case there is a lineage viewer like that, which person would most likely get it faster - the one who'd be using the feature or the one who wouldn't?

That's what I meant. It would affect hunting for commons as well.

I wouldn't grab a mint. But that's not the point. I am not going to use a feature which would slow reaction time (clicking the lineage viewer would take time) and it would increase page load time as well. As long as it is an optional feature I would most definitely leave it disabled most of the time.

I simply consider it as a case of, would you rather have a greater chance of missing an egg that you are hunting for, or would you rather do a gamble? In my case, it might be advantageous for people to slow their reaction time down by checking the lineage first.

Edited by DarkEternity