TJ09

Forum Usage Survey

Little-known trick:

user posted image

[img=http://tj.k.vu/1B1.png]

Works with most image hosters, although to be fair, Photobucket does try to redirect you to the "HTML" version sometimes.

How do I get the .gif ones to work? I tried shrinking the whole link down, and then adding .gif to the new tiny link, but the picture does not show up anymore.

The link I'm trying to shorten:

http://i1267.photobucket.com/albums/jj544/TazTheDarkrai/b4thechange.gif

It works for me:

user posted image

[IMG=http://tj.k.vu/1BL.gif]

It also works if you put .png.

I prefer to just upload the image(s) (via URL) on to imgur and then shorten the direct link. Photobucket sometimes auto-redirects to the HTML link. :/

I don't see an image when you do that. I see the words "user posted image". If I right-click and "view image" it takes me to the photobucket page where the image is. I also tried hard-refresh, right-click + "reload image", and it still says user posted image.

Edit: Yes I use firefox. I added the code to my siggy thinking it would work, but it still only shows the words.

Edited by xeyla

I don't see an image when you do that. I see the words "user posted image". If I right-click and "view image" it takes me to the photobucket page where the image is. I also tried hard-refresh, right-click + "reload image", and it still says user posted image.

Are you on Firefox? It sometimes does that. :I Try post-previewing it yourself? I put the code there.

If you look at the link I posted, the questions are about which of the already-existing forum features people actually use. You aren't going to get that from the Suggestions forum; no one is posting there to say, "I really enjoy the ability to add icons to posts," or, "I don't ever use the e-mail hyperlink BBCode, so I don't care if it goes away during an update," they ask for new things that the software doesn't already do.

I have seen posts before in the 'forum feedback' thread in suggestions about current features, and I'm sure it would be easy enough to encourage more discussion of current features there, rather than collecting discrete data from individuals through a survey.

I have seen posts before in the 'forum feedback' thread in suggestions about current features, and I'm sure it would be easy enough to encourage more discussion of current features there, rather than collecting discrete data from individuals through a survey.

Why would anyone want to have 40 or 50+ pages of comments to wade through, manually making notes of everyone's preferences rather than just have a set of questions on current features and then look at the organized results that returns?

Frankly, I'm not sure there actually is a way that we could have an effective discussion where everyone covered dozens and dozens of features. There were features included in the survey that I never use, use rarely, or make use of but don't actively change much so chances are that I wouldn't think to address them. I guess that he could just list all the features and then ask everyone to indicate which ones they use, which ones they don't, and then ask for comments...but isn't that exactly what the survey did?

I suppose one could argue that the survey limited user input in the way that a thread about features wouldn't. But an even larger counter-argument would be that most people who come to this forum don't post their opinions in those threads. That's why polls will often have hundreds of votes when hundreds of people are not participating in the discussion.

The best scenario would seem to be the survey and a thread where people who wanted to could then make comments and discuss various features. Which seems to be what we have right now.

How did it limit responses ? there was a box at the end for "anything else you want to say" - BELIEVE me, I used it. xd.png

Mostly to say "PLEASE PLEASE LET US NEVER NEVER HAVE INVISION 3; NEVER NEVER NEVER.... xd.png"

I don't exactly like invision 3. Can you tell ?

We have it on another forum I'm on - and leaving aside the VILE appearance - there is no way to archive PMs. UGH.

Why would anyone want to have 40 or 50+ pages of comments to wade through, manually making notes of everyone's preferences rather than just have a set of questions on current features and then look at the organized results that returns?

Ah really? There were 2 boxes to put text in like 'Likes' and 'Dislikes' that is then less work then reading 40 or 50 pages?

A survey makes sense for me as long as it helps to make a statistic. Other things are really easier to discuss.

I mean I am sure TJ got his reason why to make such a survey that is why I will help and filled it out but I can also understand people to bring the survey into question as it seems that the suggestion thread is kind of a discussion thread between users but doesn't help to make changes in the forum by now.

Edited by Tabitah

Ah really? There were 2 boxes to put text in like 'Likes' and 'Dislikes' that is then less work then reading 40 or 50 pages?

A survey makes sense for me as long as it helps to make a statistic. Other things are really easier to discuss.

I mean I am sure TJ got his reason why to make such a survey that is why I will help and filled it out but I can also understand people to bring the survey into question as it seems that the suggestion thread is kind of a discussion thread between users but doesn't help to make changes in the forum by now.

But it's not about reading the text boxes vs reading a huge thread. It's about getting the specific answers about things like which features people use provided at the end of the survey vs having to wade through a huge thread making check marks for each thing that gets mentioned and and then trying to get everyone to come back and comment on the things that they didn't say anything about.

A lot of times things do seem to languish in the Suggestion forum as certain things get prioritized and other get juggled around, so I totally get the frustration. But TJ also has a point that much of the stuff that he's asking actually isn't in the Suggestion threads. People don't go there and post that they like feature X and therefore suggest that we keep having it. We mostly go to discuss what we don't like. And that's great, but that's not the entirety of the information that needs to be gathered once the ball starts rolling. And since we agree that there are already a bunch of threads discussing what people dislike, finding out what people actually use and/or do like seems appropriate.

If someone wants to say that things don't happen fast enough around here, they probably won't get a crushing wave of disagreement. I just don't believe that, as has been suggested, it negates the value of the survey because a. it does gather information that hasn't been discussed in the Suggestion section and b. it gathers input from the vast amount of people here who never comment in Suggestion threads. And that second point is, IMO, really important. Because Suggestion threads can get ugly fast, and I know some people who won't even wander in to the section. So while discussion is great for getting into the deeper layers of things, it can be extremely problematic for simple info gathering.

But it's not about reading the text boxes vs reading a huge thread. It's about getting the specific answers about things like which features people use provided at the end of the survey vs having to wade through a huge thread making check marks for each thing that gets mentioned and and then trying to get everyone to come back and comment on the things that they didn't say anything about.

A lot of times things do seem to languish in the Suggestion forum as certain things get prioritized and other get juggled around, so I totally get the frustration. But TJ also has a point that much of the stuff that he's asking actually isn't in the Suggestion threads. People don't go there and post that they like feature X and therefore suggest that we keep having it. We mostly go to discuss what we don't like. And that's great, but that's not the entirety of the information that needs to be gathered once the ball starts rolling. And since we agree that there are already a bunch of threads discussing what people dislike, finding out what people actually use and/or do like seems appropriate.

If someone wants to say that things don't happen fast enough around here, they probably won't get a crushing wave of disagreement. I just don't believe that, as has been suggested, it negates the value of the survey because a. it does gather information that hasn't been discussed in the Suggestion section and b. it gathers input from the vast amount of people here who never comment in Suggestion threads. And that second point is, IMO, really important. Because Suggestion threads can get ugly fast, and I know some people who won't even wander in to the section. So while discussion is great for getting into the deeper layers of things, it can be extremely problematic for simple info gathering.

To read text boxes of how much? Maybe 2000 or more users? Sorry I still think that the boxes are not nesseccary as this is really much work.

Also the huge thread isn't that huge when you read it regulary, which I hope TJ does.

I am really fine with the survey when there were no text boxes, but it doesn't bother me either smile.gif I just can't believe TJ will read all those boxes and then, remembering how often people mentioning the same points....but this is his work and he surely knows why he did it that way.

I think everybody who is interested in changing something can find the way to that thread. Even when you discuss something in PM's people can tell you there is such a thread. But that is just my opinion....

Took the survey !

I don't get why it annoys people that there is a survey. It's just a means of gathering information like any other. You don't have to take it if it annoys you. You can just post in Suggestions, that's just as valid. It's just that surveys make stats afterwards, that's a lot easier than wading through a thread trying to work out the trend.

Anyway my OCD really likes surveys u.u

Cursor jumping is the most annoying thing about it. I could live with clicking the buttons twice (on italics, bold and underline), but yeah. The jumping NEEDS to change.

Thank GOD, I thought I was the only one having this problem. I thought my computer had viruses or was possessed until I was trying to post from my phone, and it did the same thing >_<

Then I just thought I was losing my mind...(which is still a possibility...)

Took the survey...

@Tabitha:

If it was me conducting the survey, everytime there was a text box, I would fill out a page with, say:

Likes user name files... X

Likes PM postings... XX

something like that. If something new was mentioned, then I would start a different line with one X...

It is what we used in my library district when we sent out fliers for our patrons to fill out. Made the likes/dislikes more manageable... Every Trustee had a batch of responses... When we finished our batch, we swapped with another Trustee so that each response had been read by at least two Trustees, sometimes three if time permitted...

We then tabulated by first and second readings (thirds?) spperately and if the results were within one another by a reasonable margin, we made a final report and used that for our reference.

Took the survey.. and thank you for posting it. IMO, surveys are the best way to get good info without personal baggage. Using the suggestions forum is more for discussing things, not gathering input.. because the input is too messy and unreliable until the discussion is over.

Little-known trick:

user posted image

[img=http://tj.k.vu/1B1.png]

Works with most image hosters, although to be fair, Photobucket does try to redirect you to the "HTML" version sometimes.

While the character limit does also affect the maximum physical size of signatures to some extent, that's not the actual reasoning. People shouldn't have to download 1000 characters of signature (and several images) for every single post just to be able to read someone's 100 character response.

Ooooooh, that worked like a charm, thank you!

And hm, but if people didn't want to deal with it, couldn't they just turn signatures off?

Ooooooh, that worked like a charm, thank you!

And hm, but if people didn't want to deal with it, couldn't they just turn signatures off?

But I wanna see the helpful things in people's sigs (like lists and IOUS and away messages) without being bogged down by a million graphics xd.png

More friends filled out the forum, starting to wonder why iv NEVER ran into glitchs, but also thankful im so lucky.xd.png

Just finished it for the second time. My laptop restarted itself during my first attempt...

This just made me officially notice the "Archive Messages" area. rolleyes.gif