TJ09

Forum Usage Survey

Hmm. I wonder what causes that, and if it's just you.

I get these a lot. On Tinypic and Photobucket, (registered) users have the option to delete their images/videos, so I guess that's the reason.

edit: That is, if the image actually says "this image has been removed or deleted". If it's actually broken, it's entirely different.

Edited by cfmtfm

Yeah, I recently did a lot of organizing on my Photobucket, which broke every single one of my image links.

Hmm. I wonder what causes that, and if it's just you.

It isn't just you, no. I get it all the time and am past caring !

I'm on a forum where the siggies are a certail size, and if you put something in it that is larger than the default size, the siggy gets a scrolling bar on it. This way people can have as much as they want it the signature, and others can scroll down in the box to see everything. Also the siggies can have spoilers in them. Very useful.

Oh please no scrolling signatures. I used to be on another forum that has that as well, and I absolutely hated it. Huge loading times and every time I wanted to scroll down, I ended up scrolling some stupid signature I didn't care about. They're big enough as they are!

I don't like scrolling signatures, they're a pain. Spoiler tags are a much better option.

I just found out the MagiStream forum has a bump button for threads. Is it possible to have that for our forum? this way we do not have empty bump posts, and "fake" post counts/tracking.

I'd like more characters but the same amount of space for signatures. My signature isn't really big, but it does take up a LOT of characters (due to all the image links which are themselves linking to various forum threads...). In order to cram everything into my sig that I've got now, I've had to go to crazy lengths like url shrinking and renaming images in photobucket and all other such things. ;___;

I'd like more characters but the same amount of space for signatures. My signature isn't really big, but it does take up a LOT of characters (due to all the image links which are themselves linking to various forum threads...). In order to cram everything into my sig that I've got now, I've had to go to crazy lengths like url shrinking and renaming images in photobucket and all other such things. ;___;

See, ADP's sig isn't large. I want to use a decent amount of links, and I can't, because there's a small character limit. That's my biggest bug.

Signatures larger than we have now blink.gif

Please no. Some are already massive and it takes forever to scroll down the page. I'd LOVE a size limit on the images in them, actually.

And the same goes for avatars. So many forums now allow such big ones I turn images off.... Forums are places to talk, not to show off massive images (unless we are looking at dragon designs.)

Sorry about that, but Spelunker worded it better than I did. A larger character limit is what I was looking for, not so much for images but words. Also if the forum updates allow, a way to turn off signatures. I know some people don't like them and there's other sites I'm on that allow people just to turn them off.

Sorry about that, but Spelunker worded it better than I did. A larger character limit is what I was looking for, not so much for images but words. Also if the forum updates allow, a way to turn off signatures. I know some people don't like them and there's other sites I'm on that allow people just to turn them off.

Wookie, you can turn off sigs on DCF.

I know some people don't like them and there's other sites I'm on that allow people just to turn them off.

You can turn off signatures under board settings in your control panel, the first option.

It appears you have a problem with staff collecting user input? Perhaps you would prefer sending us a pm? Feel free to pm a mod anytime you have a question or a problem.

No. I do not need to contact a mod. I do not have a question or problem (and that copy-pasted mod response is getting rather old now). I do, however, have a problem with the fact that a survey such as this is needed at all.

It is inevitable that nothing will come of it either, TJ just keeps everyone happy by making them think he's collecting user input with a view to actually making changes.

we need larger pm buckets biggrin.gif

this is like the only issue i have with the forum lol

otherwise i don't think it matters; it's just a forum. no need to be so upset over surveys and such.

No. I do not need to contact a mod. I do not have a question or problem (and that copy-pasted mod response is getting rather old now). I do, however, have a problem with the fact that a survey such as this is needed at all.

It is inevitable that nothing will come of it either, TJ just keeps everyone happy by making them think he's collecting user input with a view to actually making changes.

I'm inclined to agree with this... wouldn't it be better to look at the Suggestions/Requests forum to see what features the current forum software is missing that users feel should be available? As well as to gather opinions. This is why I think it's silly to do a survey; just look in the S/R forum.

I can see why someone has a problem with this because of the above. There wouldn't be a need for this survey for the reasons Grox mentioned in his initial post.

Done with mine. Thanks for putting it up. It was fun to complete and made me think for a pretty good amount on what I did and didn't use in the forums and what I'd like to change.

Please do not snipe at a mod for doing her job. If you have a complaint about any mod, you are free to PM TJ about it.

If you don't want to fill out the survey that's fine, but I'm saying now that if you want to continue this conversation, you need to PM a mod. Right now TJ is still collecting data, so nothing can be done yet. Again, if you don't want to fill out the survey, you don't have to.

Thanks,

~Sock

I'm inclined to agree with this... wouldn't it be better to look at the Suggestions/Requests forum to see what features the current forum software is missing that users feel should be available? As well as to gather opinions. This is why I think it's silly to do a survey; just look in the S/R forum.

That's not the picture I'm looking for here, and that's not even what the survey is asking about.

If you look at the link I posted, the questions are about which of the already-existing forum features people actually use. You aren't going to get that from the Suggestions forum; no one is posting there to say, "I really enjoy the ability to add icons to posts," or, "I don't ever use the e-mail hyperlink BBCode, so I don't care if it goes away during an update," they ask for new things that the software doesn't already do.

TJ's tiny urlifier - WAY tinier than TinyUrl.

biggrin.gif

I do make use of it, but even then I'm still in a pickle xd.png;; Unless I'm missing something, it won't work to shrink, say, the link to an image hosted on photobucket, which is where a lot of my character count comes from. I've used it to shrink the urls all the images link to (their respective DR threads), but I don't think there's a way to shrink the image links themselves while keeping them as images. >___<

Meanwhile, I know that people can already exceed the current 'length' of the sig box and have things pushed out to the bottom, without really extending how long their signature length appears. So that tells me that if the character limit were increased, it wouldn't really cause any issues, because even if everyone and their moms pumped the new limits to their max their sigs still wouldn't get any longer height wise. smile.gif

Edited by angelicdragonpuppy

I do make use of it, but even then I'm still in a pickle xd.png;; Unless I'm missing something, it won't work to shrink, say, the link to an image hosted on photobucket, which is where a lot of my character count comes from. I've used it to shrink the urls all the images link to (their respective DR threads), but I don't think there's a way to shrink the image links themselves while keeping them as images. >___<

Little-known trick:

user posted image

[img=http://tj.k.vu/1B1.png]

Works with most image hosters, although to be fair, Photobucket does try to redirect you to the "HTML" version sometimes.

Meanwhile, I know that people can already exceed the current 'length' of the sig box and have things pushed out to the bottom, without really extending how long their signature length appears. So that tells me that if the character limit were increased, it wouldn't really cause any issues, because even if everyone and their moms pumped the new limits to their max their sigs still wouldn't get any longer height wise. smile.gif

While the character limit does also affect the maximum physical size of signatures to some extent, that's not the actual reasoning. People shouldn't have to download 1000 characters of signature (and several images) for every single post just to be able to read someone's 100 character response.

TJ's tiny urlifier - WAY tinier than TinyUrl.

biggrin.gif

Whoa, that's definitely going to help in decreasing my signature character size!

Thank you!

Did the survey an hour or two after this thread was put up, by the way.