DarkEternity

The ability to trade names?

Opinions? smile.gif

EDIT: My idea is mostly just based on the ability to trade named hatchlings.

Edited by DarkEternity

How would this even work? It's decently simple to do unofficially. You meet in the IRC and use the PM system to coordinate. The one renames theirs to free up the name while the other takes the name. It is extremely unlikely that someone else would snatch it, especially if nobody else knows about the transfer.

The thing is, I always feel that name trading is a little risky, particularly if you are trading things like CB metals and the name is something that is quite common. That plus the difficulty meeting up if you are in different timezones ^^;;

The name trades don't really last THAT long though, do they? I haven't done any so I'm no expert obviously, but it doesn't seem like something that would be implemented because within that short time span, what is the possibility that someone is going to choose your name right then and there? Has it ever happened to anyone?

It reminds me of trading without teleports... you would have to get the egg's code, and then go to /abandoned/eggcode here and then refresh like mad and hoped someone in the AP wasn't faster than your refresh.

I haven't done any nametrades, but I have had names disappear in less than ten seconds after scroll wipes.

e.g.

1. I realise a name might be free

2. I realise that it is free.

3. I go to get the name

In the time between 2 - 3 I've had names snatched quite quickly so I am a little afraid of even attempting a name trade. (by, you know, other naming enthusiasts) I suggest that we are able to trade named hatchlings.

Edited by DarkEternity

How would this even work?  It's decently simple to do unofficially.  You meet in the IRC and use the PM system to coordinate.  The one renames theirs to free up the name while the other takes the name.  It is extremely unlikely that someone else would snatch it, especially if nobody else knows about the transfer.

This, basically.

I'm not extremely experienced in the name trading business, but I think that it's very unlikely that the name you're trading is going to get caught right away. I think the IRC (or some other IM service?) is sufficient for short trades like this.

However, I've never understood why we can't trade named hatchlings. That could be a way to trade names.

I really want to gift some names as well (If I recall correctly, ADP wanted a name I believe is Asmodeus which I HAVE and they put a notice in their sig. I want to gift but since there is no actual ability to transfer names reliably if timezones may present an issue/meeting times present an issue, etc. So I stayed silent. And quietly hid.)

And I also want to trade for names as well, but I think that IOUs were banned for a good reason (people lose dragons) and it's not that I don't trust individuals but I feel like trading in the pre-teleport days. Most of the times I do not list the names I want in my trading posts because I don't want the names to either disappear or something to go wrong. If the system is not reliable, I prefer to abstain. And yet, allowing named hatchies to be traded doesn't seem terribly difficult (I have no understanding of programming, don't quote me).

It's been a problem to me for 3 years, but I've mostly swallowed it and tried to move on.

Edited by DarkEternity

When teleport was first implemented named hatchies could be traded, it lasted very briefly (I think a couple hours) before TJ changed it. I remember this because I traded a named hatchie with another user before it was disallowed. Given that, it's apparently TJ's choice that named hatchies cannot be traded.