Svataben

The Health & Weight Support Thread

The Health & Weight Support Thread

Purpose: To get started and keep going! biggrin.gif

Needed: Life style change.

How: Small steps, Kaizen.

This thread is for: Talking, motivating, and sharing experiences and knowledge.

I think we need a few more words, so here's the deal:

Lots of us aren't as healthy as we should be, and lots of us feel bad about that.

Some of us get sick, some feel shame, some get discriminated against, some can't get pregnant, and it's just the saddest thing.

We do try, from time to time, to do better. We buy expensive work-out equipment and clothes, we get gym-memberships, we go on diets, and we start running around the neighbourhoods dreaming of marathons and glory. And then we give up again...

We're doing it wrong. We make it too hard. We fail.

So, what can we do?

The only real way to get healthier and actually stay healthier, is to do it gently enough that it doesn't break us.

That's what Kaizen helps with. It's about starting small, making lasting changes.

- Example: If you eat large portions, take one scoop less of whatever than you usually do. A slice less. Just a bit less.

- Example: If you drink 3 sodas per day, go down to two for a month, then go down further.

- Example: If you sit around inside all day, at home and at work/school and don't exercise, start going for a 30 minute brisk walk every day. When that feels natural, and is just a thing that you do, go for longer walks.

What we often need to start with is simply to stop gaining weight!

Weight loss comes after.

What we often need is to build muscle, not fat reserves.

Especially if we're very thin.

Do nothing that seems too hard or very much of anything.

You're lining up to make it a forever-thing, a life style change, and you need to not hate it. You won't stick with it, if you hate it. And a little is still better than not doing anything.

Forgive yourself for relaxing once in a while, just don't stop altogether.

Don't compare yourself to others.

Seriously, don't.

Some completely free, easy to use tools (and one totally cheap one):

- Find an app or a place online where you can register your height, weight, what you eat (calory counter), and what exercise you're getting. This will help you keep track and stay motivated. *I would like you to tell me good ones if you find any, as I'm in Denmark, and you most likely can't use the one I'm using.

- This google, Walking route planner, should help you find a web page where you can plan a route and it shows you how long it is. *I would like you to tell me good ones if you find any, as I'm in Denmark, and you most likely can't use the one I'm using.

Some route planners may even help you count steps, if you've already measured your step length.

- Measuring your step length is where you will have the tiny cost of something to measure with. Walk on soft earth, or whet the bottom of your shoes and walk over asphalt, then measure how long your steps are. Remember to take just a bit longer steps than usual, because people often take smaller steps when walking a short distance, and you'll need your 'going for a walk'-step length. (Nothing clowny, though, just a bit.)

And that's it. Don't do much, just get started. biggrin.gif

Edited by Svataben

Terms & Explanations

Please tell me, if you want something added here.

Blisters

Advice by injenn (she's all kinds of awesome): "Try soaking your feet in hot water with epsom salts. The salt draws out the fluid and makes the blisters heal quicker. The warmth feels great, too!"

Grazing:

Going through your kitchen/wherever, looking for something delicious and easy to eat.

Grazing is where you eat a lot of bad things, because you're looking for immediate satisfaction (no cooking or waiting), and that leads to opening cookie packs, chips bags, and popping popcorn.

Kaizen:

Kai = change. Zen = good.

"Kaizen more literally means ‘Continuous Improvement,‘ than ‘change-good.’" Kaizen Weight Loss by Darren Beattie

"Small improvements snowball."

Kilos and pounds:

1 kilo (1 kg) = 2.20 pounds (2.20lbs)

1 pound (1 lbs) = 0.45 kilos (0.45kg)

Google search for on-line converter

Shopping hungry:

Don't!

You'll by stuff you can get at fast. Stuff like the foods you graze. Fatty things. Easy to open and chow down on.

Volumetrics system:

Things with less calories per gram are much more filling per calorie, so you can feel full on less calories.

App List

Please tell me, if you want something added here, and what system the app is for.

Noom:

An Android App based on the volumetrics system. (See SolarCat's post on page 1 for further details.)

Slanke App:

Danish, the basics are free. Enter your weight and height, determine how much you want to lose, count calories with the app, and see the results neetly.

Other Useful Links

Please tell me, if you want something added here.

Ab Work-out Video

6 Week Six-Pack Abs Workout- Level 1 .

Dancing games

Quote injenn, page 3: "They will get your heart rate up, can be done indoors and are really fun!"

She suggests In the Groove and Pump it Up (Google search including youtube videos).

Further examples and explanations on page 3 by user injenn in a second post there. Don't miss it.

Eating To GAIN Weight in a healthy way:

Google search Eat to gain weight healthy.

Also, try to just google 'eat to gain', and google gives many suggestions.

Food for building muscles:

Google search Building muscle diet for men.

Pedometer Step Equivalents:

A useful link for converting other activities into steps: http://walking.about.com/od/measure/a/stepequivalents_2.htm

Yoga:

Weight Loss Yoga

Building muscles through yoga

Edited by Svataben

I just started two days ago. biggrin.gif

I got an app, I found some routes, I took a walk yesterday and one today, and I started registering my food.

I haven't been very hungry or felt bereft, I just haven't allowed myself to eat out of boredom. I haven't grazed the cupboards.

I'm having Pizza for dinner, and that's OK.

My feet are a bit sore, and i might be getting a blister on my right pinky-toe, so I'm feeling a bit whiny.

Tomorrow I'll be riding my bike in stead of walking. I might go fast and get my pulse going, I might not. Still better than nothing.

Edited by Svataben

Some completely free, easy to use tools (and one totally cheap one):

- Find an app or a place online where you can register your height, weight, what you eat (calory counter), and what exercise you're getting. This will help you keep track and stay motivated. *I would like you to tell me good ones if you find any, as I'm in Denmark, and you most likely can't use the one I'm using.

I found an Android App called "Noom" around Christmas that helped me to completely change my diet around, without feeling like I was on a diet. It's based on the volumetrics system, meaning that things with less calories per gram are much more filling per calorie. The whole "volumetrics" came about when people noticed that those who ate soup before dinner didn't eat as much of their dinner. (Broth-based soup is very filling, rather low calorie, and generally full of all sorts of healthy vitamins and nutrients).

It's only for those 18 years and older, though.

I used to love it because their food logging system was about best-guess. Did you have a golf ball of chicken or was it more like a baseball? It was easy to estimate. They changed that around to a more accurate measurement system now, which I wish they'd switch back to the other one, but it's still been rather helpful to me as it gives you information and tips about each food item when you look it up to log it.

They categorize the food into three categories, like a stop light:

Green = For a food to be green, the grams per serving has to be a larger number than the calories per serving. (e.g., 20g, 15 calories) It can't be a processed food, or contain a large percentage of artificial ingredients (a.k.a. diet soda) or lots of added sugar. Fill up on these! They say about 50% of your daily intake (by calories) should be your goal for these. This category includes fresh or frozen fruits and vegetables (not canned, they tend to add things in the canning process), soup broth, whole grains, brown rice, beans, tomato sauce and salsa, egg whites, non-fat milk, ricotta cheese, non-fat yogurt, and spices. Also certain cereals.

Yellow = These foods should not be avoided, just watch your portion size. They tend to have lots of good nutrients like proteins that you won't find as readily in the green foods, but they're more calorie dense. Things in this category generally get 10%-30% of their calories from fat, and less than 50% of their calories from sugar (sugar has ~4 calories per gram). Noom suggests 35% of your daily intake should be from this category. It includes foods like white bread, white pasta, white rice, starchy vegetables (like potatoes), low-fat dairy (and non-fat non-ricotta cheese), whole eggs, non-fried seafood and chicken, lean meat, canned fruits and vegetables, most condiments, avocados, baked beans, honey, wine, diet sodas, low-calorie sports drinks, creamy soups and chili, and unsweetened fruit and vegetable juices (because juices don't have fiber).

Red = You can still eat these, but definitely watch how much you eat and how often. These are the calorie dense foods and include things like regular red meat, desserts and snacks (even most low-fat ones), sausage and bacon, fried foods, whole milk, full-fat dairy, butter/mayo/margerine, syrups, pizza, regular soda, sweetened juices, fast food, beer, jams and jellies, and apparently Mexican food. Noom suggests less than 15% of your diet (by calories) should be from this category.

I found when I started eating healthier, though, I had to go off their suggested percentages because you MUST eat at least 1200 calories (for women, for men that number is higher, and for teenagers and those who aren't several years past puberty that number is higher, too, and you should talk to your doctor to find out the right one for you) or your body will go into starvation mode. I was absolutely starving for the first week, but after that I was eating so many healthy things I didn't really have an appetite for anything else, so I'd pull out some ice cream or other desserts to make sure I hit 1200 calories for the day.

I lost 25 pounds in the last three months, just by switching around my diet.

I still haven't gotten the exercise thing down yet... I figure once I get a house I'll get that exercise in, since if I want a nice one I'm going to have to fix up quite a few things about it!

That's so cool!

I'm really impressed with you! It's also great to hear that it's really worked for someone.

And thank you very much for taking the time to write down what it's about in detail like that! I'll be making an app list asap!

I hope to get more disciplined over time, but right now, my only goal is to keep going.

I spent years padding myself on the back, after I quit smoking. And while it was an awesome thing (I smoked very much and was totally addicted), I also used my successful quitting as an excuse - I didn't need to work out or eat healthily, I already did awesome.

Now the excuse is over three years old, and I'm ready to do a little awesome again.

I lost 55 pounds a couple of years ago calorie counting and exercising. Some of it's crept back on this year so it's definitely time for me to make some changes again.

I lost 55 pounds a couple of years ago calorie counting and exercising. Some of it's crept back on this year so it's definitely time for me to make some changes again.

Yeah, it's all too easy to slip back into old habits.

My mother noticed the difference, and is now coming up for Mother's Day weekend because she wants me to teach her how to eat like I do. Ha ha! I'll confess that makes me feel good. Although I've been packing to move and trying not to buy too many perishables, so I need to restock if we're going to be eating much besides whole wheat spaghetti! I just ate the last of my homemade soup on Wednesday.

Two easy recipes I love:

Chicken Noodle Soup

This I make in bulk, and then I can just reheat what I want when I want it

Chop your chicken into the size you want for your soup. I generally make them about a half-inch and cube-like.

Start your chicken broth. I generally use a mix of Low Sodium College Inn Chicken Broth and water with chicken bullion.

Add your chopped chicken into the broth, and let it boil until it looks cooked on the outside. (It will cook the rest of the way when you're cooking the noodles).

Add whole grain noodles, any shape you like. Make sure they say 100% whole grain on the box. Cook per the "al-dente" directions on the package. You can use wild rice or brown rice instead, if you prefer. I generally turn the heat down here.

Add fresh and/or frozen vegetables of your choice. I always like to add frozen corn and sometimes I'll mix it up with a few from this list: celery, onions, carrots, parsley, peas (go light on the peas, they've got a strong flavor in the soup and they're a bit more calorie dense than most vegetables).

When any frozen vegetables are fully thawed, you're done!

Everything in this soup is in the "Green" category except the chicken itself, which is "Yellow".

Fruit Smoothie

I keep frozen fruits in my freezer to make a smoothie whenever I want. I generally buy them pre-frozen, but you can slice and then freeze your own, too.

Pick the frozen fruits you want in your smoothie. (They should be frozen, as this way you don't need to add any ice cubes to get the smoothie consistency. Plus they last longer in your freezer).

Fill your glass about 2/3 of the way with the frozen fruits, and then add apple juice to fill about halfway up the cup.

Put fruit and juice in a blender and mix until all the frozen fruit has been successfully chopped into the apple juice. If the smoothie seems too thick, or the blender is having a difficult time mixing, you can add more apple juice to thin it.

You can also experiment with other juices, as well.

My favorite is banana and strawberry with the apple juice.

I have a Magic Bullet, which means I can make everything right in one of the cups that comes with it, so I already know my portion size.

In this case the apple juice is "Yellow" but the other fruits are "Green" because you pureed them so the fiber is there, too, not just the juice.

Edited by SolarCat

I gained about 8 or so pounds recently in addition to already wanting to lose weight. I'd like to lose about 20 pounds total. I spent nearly my whole life in competitive dance and in addition to my crappy genes, I think it wrecked my joints because I'm having a lot of hip and knee issues at 23 years old. I need to keep as light as I possibly can.

I've been exercising a lot lately, but my diet isn't great. Recently we moved back in to my husband's parent's house so we can save up to buy a house, but his sister and her family are still living here. That means 3 families living in this house, so suffice to say trying to cook with two other families cooking at the same time is difficult. We've been eating out quite a bit. It's hard to eat out healthy, I'm pretty sure even salads from restaurants or fast food places are terrible for you. Luckily they are finally moving out soon so I can try to prepare healthy meals. My husband is trying to lose weight too so it makes it easier.

I think my biggest problem is that I eat to hydrate myself. I don't like drinking water, so when I'm thirsty I tend to eat things instead. Usually pasta or ice cream. Definitely not very good choices tongue.gif.

Right now I'm just walking for exercise because I'm afraid jogging is going to hurt my joints. I'm trying to do 10km a day, but I'm sure the repetitive motion of walking is just as bad for my joints as the impact of jogging. Very frustrating. sad.gif

A large problem I have is that I am an EXTREMELY picky eater. I really don't like that many vegetables, and some of those I only like when prepared unhealthily, i.e. frying. A large problem when I am trying to lose weight is that my already limited diet gets even more limited and it is hard to eat nearly the same thing day after day, particularly when a lot of what I do care for is fairly flavorless(and a lot of the "tips" to make them more flavorful are flavor profiles I really, REALLY don't like).

I have been trying to expand my palette, and failing miserably. Although a lot is my own fault, my father doesn't help, for he shows open derision at my pickyness and shows such self-satisfaction when I DO try and like something it doesn't make me want to try more. I honestly am ready to seek professional help, but I don't know where to turn. Any general tips?

A large problem I have is that I am an EXTREMELY picky eater. I really don't like that many vegetables, and some of those I only like when prepared unhealthily, i.e. frying. A large problem when I am trying to lose weight is that my already limited diet gets even more limited and it is hard to eat nearly the same thing day after day, particularly when a lot of what I do care for is fairly flavorless(and a lot of the "tips" to make them more flavorful are flavor profiles I really, REALLY don't like).

I have been trying to expand my palette, and failing miserably. Although a lot is my own fault, my father doesn't help, for he shows open derision at my pickyness and shows such self-satisfaction when I DO try and like something it doesn't make me want to try more. I honestly am ready to seek professional help, but I don't know where to turn. Any general tips?

I'm so sorry to hear how hard you have it. I can only imagine how bad it must be.

If I were to give any advice, it'd be to ignore your father. It simply isn't about him.

So what, if he's gloating and acting the jerk, when you try new things? It isn't about him, it's something you're doing for you, and he isn't even relevant.

And yeah, I think getting some help is a great idea! It could give you some practical tools to use on yourself, and some understanding about why you are the way your are. I think knowing things like that can be incredibly helpful.

And remember, getting a little better is still getting better.

Right now I'm just walking for exercise because I'm afraid jogging is going to hurt my joints. I'm trying to do 10km a day, but I'm sure the repetitive motion of walking is just as bad for my joints as the impact of jogging. Very frustrating. sad.gif

You do have some difficult circumstances to deal with, what with living the way you do.

I'm impressed none of you haven't ripped someone's head off, living in such close quarters. xd.png

Do you have a bike? Riding a bike is very gentle on the joints, and if you're riding against the wind or up hill some of the way, it's very effective.

I spent a year eating salads and cycling 20mile to work and back. Gained weight.

I am now on a firm diet of red wine and kebab.

I spent a year eating salads and cycling 20mile to work and back. Gained weight.

I am now on a firm diet of red wine and kebab.

Sounds a lot more fun, even if it is unhealthy.

I did the "Great American Fitness Adventure" through the wellness portal at work, and have now started the "Walk This Way" fitness challenge. The idea with the "Walk This Way" challenge is to get 10,000 steps a day. Participants receive a free pedometer. Here's a useful link for converting other activities into steps: http://walking.about.com/od/measure/a/stepequivalents_2.htm

My employer, Rockwell-Collins, encourages healthy living and has tools to help. I'm also trying to eat healthier, but that's a lot harder.

Edited by casprrr

I've been working on losing weight since last year. I was, at the start of this, about 80lbs overweight. I'm not doing it to be thin, I have a lot of physical problems due to my weight, mostly chronic pain.

I've lost 40lbs so far, going from 245 to 205. My goal is to drop another 40-45lbs to get to my physical ideal weight of 160-165lbs.

For myself, exercise, bumping my calorie consumption up (I had to push it from 1200-1600 up to 1800-2000 a day), and cutting my carb consumption is half was what did it. Swimming was, for last year at least, my exercise. Unfortunately a pulled muscle in my stomach (unrelated to swimming), took me out of that and I have to walk now instead.

It's slow going this year, especially since a lot of my calories last year came from dairy and dairy-related foods, and I've developed a very severe lactose intolerance in the last few months, although that's likely from the emotional distress I've been struggling with since dropping out of an abusive parental relationship.

I don't cut anything out that I like, I still eat junk when I want.

Good luck, me!

Good luck to everyone else as well.

@ casprrr

Nice! It's always good to get together with collegues (or some other group of people) to get started and stay motivated.

And thanks for the useful link! smile.gif

I've been working on losing weight since last year. I was, at the start of this, about 80lbs overweight. I'm not doing it to be thin, I have a lot of physical problems due to my weight, mostly chronic pain.

I've lost 40lbs so far, going from 245 to 205. My goal is to drop another 40-45lbs to get to my physical ideal weight of 160-165lbs.

For myself, exercise, bumping my calorie consumption up (I had to push it from 1200-1600 up to 1800-2000 a day), and cutting my carb consumption is half was what did it. Swimming was, for last year at least, my exercise. Unfortunately a pulled muscle in my stomach (unrelated to swimming), took me out of that and I have to walk now instead.

It's slow going this year, especially since a lot of my calories last year came from dairy and dairy-related foods, and I've developed a very severe lactose intolerance in the last few months, although that's likely from the emotional distress I've been struggling with since dropping out of an abusive parental relationship.

I don't cut anything out that I like, I still eat junk when I want.

Good luck, me!

Good luck to everyone else as well.

Wow! Very cool! cool.gif

It's sad that you ended up in pain and such, before you got started on helping yourself (isn't it always like that with people though...), but it is very impressive indeed that you are doing it!

My mum is lactose intolerant too, and it has been quite an adjustment for her. Like me, she loves all kinds of cheeses, and she hates always having to ask "Is there lactose in this?", when we're dining out.

She has gotten to know a few food cultures that don't use milk in everything, like China and most other Asian cuisines, as the people in those areas often suffer from lactose intolerance as well.

And YES, good luck you, me and everyone! laugh.gif

I've been counting calories for 6 days now, and been really diligent about it. smile.gif It's not that hard, and I suspect I'll know the basics by heart soon enough.

I think one of the good things about it is how it's tangible. It's not just some fluid uncertainty, but hard fact I'm dealing with. Hard facts I can do math with, and it's nice and specific.

I always had the thought that if I were really hungry, I'd eat, no matter what the calorie-counter said, but as it turns out I haven't felt hungry after eating the decided amounts.

So yeah, I'm happy.

I am prepared to feel less happy soon though, as I'm on my way to by a scale. I haven't weighed myself for years, and I'm fairly sure I've been living somewhat in denial.

We'll see...

I'm very underweight

Are you bothered by it?

So far as I've heard, it's often quite annoying for boys to be very underweight for various reasons. (Having always been female and on the chubby side, it's hard to imagine.)

So, I weighed myself, and it's bad, but not as bad as I feared. I haven't gained weight for years, nor lost any, so I really do have to make some real and lasting changes, if I'm to see any improvement.

I'll say right now I'm at a healthy weight, but sorely out of shape.

I've had trouble trying to find ways to gain muscle and getting in shape because I have low blood pressure. I find it hard to exercise in the heat because I've fainted in the past just doing marching. Add to it the rest of my family is trying to cut salt, and eating healthy for me and exercising is hard. Luckily I have a job that will require me to walk around outside so hopefully it will help me get into better shape, but I know I need some way to work on cardio.

Any sort of advice and support is appreciated.

I'll say right now I'm at a healthy weight, but sorely out of shape.

I've had trouble trying to find ways to gain muscle and getting in shape because I have low blood pressure. I find it hard to exercise in the heat because I've fainted in the past just doing marching. Add to it the rest of my family is trying to cut salt, and eating healthy for me and exercising is hard. Luckily I have a job that will require me to walk around outside so hopefully it will help me get into better shape, but I know I need some way to work on cardio.

Any sort of advice and support is appreciated.

What a great family you have! Lots of the time its extra hard for someone to better their foods etc, because they live with people who arent on board with it.

if I were to offer my humble advice, I'd say swimming is a great way to work your whole body and keep your temperature down at the same time.

It's also incredibly gentle on joints and tendons, while strengthening the muscles.

And if you're worried about overheating, I think you could try yoga. Building muscles through yoga is a google search, and the third link is to a Men's Health article, so it's not just for girls. xd.png

The fab thing about yoga is that you don't have to even leave your home, so you can do it in an air-conditioned room with bottles of cold water near.

Edited by Svataben

What a great family you have! Lots of the time its extra hard for someone to better their foods etc, because they live with people who arent on board with it.

if I were to offer my humble advice, I'd say swimming is a great way to work your whole body and keep your temperature down at the same time.

It's also incredibly gentle on joints and tendons, while strengthening the muscles.

And if you're worried about overheating, I think you could try yoga. Building muscles through yoga is a google search, and the third link is to a Men's Health article, so it's not just for girls. xd.png

The fab thing about yoga is that you don't have to even leave your home, so you can do it in an air-conditioned room with bottles of cold water near.

Thanks Svataben I think I'll try that, I now just need to maintain a specific time to do yoga everyday.

Thanks Svataben I think I'll try that, I now just need to maintain a specific time to do yoga everyday.

And start gently too.

Don't get monster ambitious, because it's easy to get overwhelmed and end up quitting.

What we often need to start with is simply to stop gaining weight!

Weight loss comes after.

blink.gif But you don't understand. I'm underweight. I want and need to gain weight. D: