TwilightMoonDragon

~ The War of the Stag ~ | Game of Thrones

"Vari..?"

She looked so, so very nice and pretty. Dirty. But her beautiful eyes were glimmering at him. Lord Dante wrapped his arms around her and held her close. "Don't you dare leave me again. Don't you dare." he said, softly. Then he pulled away and looked at her. "Go. Get your things. We're going home." he would love to see his wife and his son again.

"Perhaps." Marissa said to Hiserio's musings on the families, she did look around to make sure no-one else could hear her next comment. Especially as she was in enough trouble and the servent would be as well if the conversation was over-heard.

"If only the coup hadn't happened - Westros was prospering under the Targaryen rule." Marissa was treading on proverbial thin ice - anything that sounded like a critisim of the new Royals could bring their wrath. And Baratheon wrath was well known and feared.

"Really?" Hiserio was intrigued. He looked over at the young maiden, and his smile appeared on his face. For once, just a moment, he had his eyes lock with hers. "... The king and queen were very strong, and the King's heir was said to have been very handsome, and his sister very beautiful." He wasn't humble, no.

"Tired." Lenora replied to her son, barely moving from the door. She didn't want to get hurt from the heat and the sword swinging around. "Why do you not want to marry son?" They had tried to find suitors, but it seemed that he was just preoccupied with this... 'science' and bedding the women. It would be best to marry him young, but with luck he'd marry someone eventually. Forging relations would be best, but honestly she didn't want him to be forced on someone else either. "You stay up here all day, and I'm just worried." She felt that the last part was needed, to remind him that she wasn't exactly going to set up a marriage for him, but he was their son.

(Is Lady Lysa ready to see Esther now?)

[Yeah, she is. Just have Esther be brought in by the guards to the throne room or something. HW. ^^]

Vani promised that she wouldn't leave. She wouldn't leave again even if she had no choice. "I'll fetch my things at once." she had to resist the urge to say sir. The outside world was no place for a castle born girl and it was a relief to be leaving it. No more laundry or nasty children, though she did feel bad about the children. She hurriedly wiped her face on the back of her sleeve and ran back through the town. People looked at her strangely, the guards unsure. Vani ignored them and went directly to Mrs. Greenley's house. She was at the door holding Ranon and looked relieved when her nurse came running down the street. "What were you on about, going off like that?" she asked as Vani slipped in past her. "I'm going home, ma'am." Mrs. Greenley looked at her ludicrously. She could just imagine her saying "But you live here with us. You said you didn't have a home." and she did. Vani lifted her skirts and went directly to her little room behind the stairs. All she had was a bed and her trunk full of old belongings she had hardly looked at since she arrived. Her clothes, ring, whistle, weapons, and the little bit of money she still had. There was a tug on her dress. "Oirani, I want to come with you." Said a very unhappy Ranon.

This was the part she had hoped to skip. "Ranon... You need to stay here with your mummy and your sister." she didn't know what else to say to him. She dug one of her remaining gold pieces out of her earnings bag. She had sold some of her jewelry long ago for these coins. She handed him the coin and kissed him on the forehead. He clutched the coin in one hand and her skirts in the other. "Mim is sick. Aintchoo gonna stay behind and help her?" She planned on giving the remaining money to Mrs. Greenley for just those purposes, not that Ranon would care either way. She grabbed her things, putting on her ring and holding whistle in hand to call Erik. Ranon clamped down on her arm when she started to go out. "Ranon, I've got to go. I'm... I'm going to a place, where I was born." This wasn't getting anywhere. "Mrs. Greenley." she called and the older woman surfaced. "Do explain to Ranon when I'm gone. My name is Vanicinario Stark and I'm going home." Mrs. Greenley was in something of a state over the sudden commotion. Vani took the woman's hand and placed the sack firmly in to it. "Do make sure Mim is alright." "But where are you-" she said as Vani went like smoke from her door to the front. "Home." She strode as quickly as she could away from that place so that there were no more questions. "Will you be coming back?!" she heard being ahouted after her. She closed her eyes and kept walking. "I don't know!" she shouted.

((will finish))

Edited by ArchiosLukos

Esther was finally allowed through the heavy doors to the throne room. Bowing her head, she entered humbly with her hands clasped before her and her hood casting shadows over her face, hiding her identity. "This stranger came into the castle today without warning. She claims that her name is simply Esther, but we brought her to you because we suspect that she is a spy." Esther just bowed to the lady. "I am sorry to cause this disturbance, your Highness. I am just a humble nomad and an honored to be in your presence."

"Shut your mouth, peasant!" the guard shouted. She did, though she stayed in her bow because she had not been told to rise.

The woman sat there in her husband's chair, and watched as the cloaked woman walked in. Lysa had no tint of aggression in her voice, and her clothes were white and blue. "Do not show her such aggression." she scolded the guard. "... Rise, stranger. Why are you here? If you can, lower your cowl. I wish to look upon your face. Are you some sort of spy? Some sort... Some sort of assassin?"

Pulling down her hood and standing up straight, she looked at the lady meekly. She had to keep with her persona. Esther was confident, though. She knew that not even the keenest eyes could tell the color of her irises. They were too far away from each other. Esther also had no issue with murdering the lady and the guard if her life was in danger. "I found my way here and decided to enter and ask directions. You see, I am very lost and I don't know where to go. I have no work and I have no living family to return to, so I've been wandering for much time by myself. It was foolish of me to enter, though. I apologize, your Highness." The words stung her tongue and she cringed mentally at them. So weak. So unlike a Targaryen.

As Marissa and Hiserio's eyes locked, she couldn't quite believe it. He had the distinctive iris shade that belonged to the Targaryen line. But hadn't they all perished in the coup?

"The Targaryen King and Queen were well loved and ruled wisely." She said, "I should hope that the whole line hadn't fallen to Baratheon blades." Marissa was trying to find out whether her suspicion was correct, but she didn't really know how to without being too blunt or too suspicious.

"Perhaps there's still hope if the true royal line survived." Marissa's belief that the Baratheon's were usurpers was barely hidden at this point - but if as she thought, Hiserio had Targaryen blood, he'd be the last person to betray her.

"You are simply a passerby." Lysa nodded at her, and looked at the guards. "... I hope that guards did you no harm?"

Great, he had messed up. Scowling, he looked at the ground, sweeping fiercer for a moment and looking at the clean spot he had left. "... Perhaps there is still hope. But no one can find them. No one."

Dante got the horses ready, and walked to meet Vani. "Do you want to ride with me or do you want your own mount?"

[Movie]

Edited by TwilightMoonDragon

Marissa sighed internally as Hiserio went back to his work a little more vigorously than strictly necessary. Wonder what I said wrong? Perhaps I shouldn't have mentioned blades....

Marissa cleaned the next dish and placed it aside to dry,

"You know what I think?" She said quietly, aware that their conversation could be cut short at any point by others entering. "I think that there's a Targaryen heir in this castle right now. In this room."

She did wonder whether he'd deny it, but then again if he didn't he could be considered foolish for putting his own life in the hands of someone else.

She shook her head. It had been a long while since she had ridden a horse and it was actually a pony back then. She did, however, know how to ride a dire wolf. She had tried a few times when Erik had become big enough to mount. Thinking on that subject. She blew her whistle, head shaped as a wolf. You might think it was broken because it made no audible sound. She watched the woods in the distance and it was only a few moments before a black dot emerged, soon barreling in their direction. The black dire wolf grew larger and larger until he was only a matter of yards away. "Erik!" The wolf was only a yearling, but he was massive, definitely big enough to ride. She wondered if Dante knew about the pup, seeing as he hadn't been here to watch it grow. Erik stopped a few feet from Vani, just short of running her over. She rubbed both sides of his face and he licked her ferociously. She laughed. "I'm going to stay with Erik." she said, digging her old cloak out and putting it on. The train actually stopped at a decent length now, though it far from matched her maid outfit.

Hiserio flinched at the words. The girl was smart. Perhaps... Perhaps she saw his eyes. "... Silly maiden, they are far away from here." he said after a long while, and he kept his face hidden. "... Marissa... You should be quiet..." he shivered, then, and looked at her fiercely. "You could be hurt. Your mother, your father." his voice was firm. He remembered the slaughtering of his parents... He was so afraid. But I am the blood of the dragon; dragons cannot be afraid.

[skip to Winterfell?]

Marissa had started to think she'd said the wrong thing again as Hiserio remained quiet for quite a while. She scubbed the dishes and as she set them to dry, Marissa turned to apologize to Hiserio when he finally spoke.

If anyone had heard him address her so bluntly he'd have been clipped around the ears for the cheek of it. But she didn't mind - not much anyway - it made a change from the usual fawning servants. Even when she worked in the kitchens the head cook remained deferential to her.

"Speculation in uncertain times is usually painful.." Marissa replied, before giving a shy smile. "Thanks." It was open to interpretation what she was thanking him for - whether for the trust he had inadvertantly given her or for the warning or perhaps both.

Esther nodded as Lysa spoke. "Oh no. I just think they want to protect you as best as they can is all." She looked around a bit, eyeing her surroundings. The throne room was radiating with wealth. The sheer size of it daunted even the Targaryen ex-heir to the throne. Plus Lysa's air of royalty and power... Well, that was enough for Esther. All the prepping and priming had ruined her enough. But the lady also made her grin internally. She didn't know that she had two dragon-bloods in her very castle. Two dragon-bloods who would have been ordering her around had they not been overthrown. And someday... Someday Esther would have revenge. She would repay the Baratheons for the casualties of her people. Her family. She and her brothers would make a comeback and it would not soon after be forgotten.

Tony took it out of the fire with a chuckle and a shake of his head. He knew the custom around here was to marry young, but he didn't want to get married. He wanted to be a bachelor for life, simply enjoying himself and doing what he wanted. A family and censorkip.gif? Nah. "I don't want to get married," he said simply, hammering the metal again. He swung the hammer down again and again, biceps tensing beneath his long-sleeved shirt, which was soaked with sweat. Once pleased with the shape, he doused it for the final time. It had a good shape and sharp edge. He tested it on the edge of a finger, and it came away bloody. Sucking it to take the blood away, he laid it down. A handle could be made later. "Do't worry about me. I like my life as it is," he said cheerfully, turning around to face her. After a moments thought, he unbuttoned his cuffs and shoved his sleeves up his arms. It wasn't like they were in some fancy place, where he was expected to behave.

Hiserio heaved a sigh and looked at Marissa again. She was pretty, looking much like her mother and like the people of the Eyrie... It was obvious that she was younger than her, the age that Lysa had carried her. Done over so quickly, he thought, looking at the ground. But the Lady of the Arryns loves her lord husband. "... I am the first born son and true heir to the Iron Throne," the throne the king sat on must be uncomfortable... It was made of smelted swords and pointy and cold at all ends. He hoped the traitor would cut himself on it. It is said that the throne cuts whoever is not worthy of sitting on it. "I am Hiserion, the true king of the Seven Kingdoms and the Protector of the Lands." it was risky to tell her... But he trusted her. She was a sweet girl.

Lord Dante Stark had left Mistress Vani with her direwolf, and he rode along on his white horse. Soon, they were upon Winterfell, the gray walls rising above their heads. He crossed the moat on horseback, the hooves thumping against the drawbridge. Home, he thought as Slate skidded to a halt next to him. His horse whinnied and shied away. My lady... I have not seen he for a year. And my son... Has he wed? he got off of his horse, and walked into the castle. He found himself walking to Anthony's smith, and found his wife there. "... My young Stark." he told him to make himself known. "... Go and help your aunt ready herself for the feast that is to be held at nightfall."

Lysa did not know what to do with this stranger. But she seemed simple enough, and she looked at her closer. "... Fine. You are welcome to stay in our castle, Esther. But I warn you, if anything fishy goes on, I'll throw you off of the mountains." she said. And then she asked another question. "... Of what family do you come from..? Tully? Tyrell? Lannister?"

Anthony looked up, expression slightly surprised. He wrinkled his nose at the request. "Really? Why me?" he moaned, crossing his arms. "Can't she have some other woman helping her..." Then quite suddenly, he frowned deeply. "Wait - since when do I have an aunt?" he asked, still looking rather disgruntled about it all. Honestly, he loved women, they were great. But he didn't want to go help her with make-up and dresses and stuff. That would be lame. "C'mon, I'm all sweaty and stuff. I need to get myself looking good for the ladies! I can't disappoint them." Grinning, he fiddled with his short facial hair.

Edited by Chicogal

Esther considered telling the truth. Perhaps it would liberate her. Or it could kill her. "If you really want to know, I'll tell you that it's easy to tell from my appearance if you look close enough." With a slight mischievous grin, she chuckled a little. "However, I need to know your thoughts on what happened with Baratheons. Are you inclined towards them or away? I know the Arryns are mostly neutral, which is why I'm asking. And while I'm being honest with you, I should tell you that I'm not so simple. It's true that I got a bit lost and came here by accident, but I'll try to make some friends while I'm here. Please excuse my guise earlier. Permission to approach you, m'lady. If you're interested in who I am, I have to show you rather than tell you. It's actually rather distinctive." If the Lady was dense, she would allow it. If she wasn't, she would catch Esther's drift. And being a dragon-blood, she had no fear. She didn't care that she would have to to kill everyone in the throne room if Lysa's sympathies were with the Baratheon family. Edited by Mousia

Vanicinario rode in relative comfort on the way home despite the freezing wind and eventually annoying riding experience. Erik rode on with Dante because Vani seemed to like him so well, but that didn't mean that he was a creature of no will. He had a few ideas of his own about all of the places he wanted to show his friend and master. However, they arrived and she slid off of his back. She first took off the cloth holding her hair back. It may have been useful for cleaning, but no more. Then she took herself and consequently Erik inside. She was instantly warmed by the distinct lack of cold wind though she often remembered the large halls being rather fridged. Her brother immediately went off, leaving her on the doorstep. She looked around at some of the minor changes that had occured in her absence, then decided to find her way to her room. She expected to have a hot bath, a long one and then she could get in some nice new clothes. The thought of clean clothing sent pleasant shivers down her spine. She set off through the halls with Erik in tow.

Marissa nodded at Hiserio, and performed a small, barely noticeable curtsy - it was all she could do in the current location and situation.

"I thank you for your trust." She stayed formal but kept her voice quiet to reduce the chances of being overheard. "If I can be of service in some way - just give the word. I will remain silent of your identity - that is a promise." Given her family motto - As High As Honor - Marissa meant her words and kept promises. After all - an Arryn without honor was no Arryn at all - at least to her mind.