Obscure_Trash

Medicine

Does anyone have any experiences regarding HPV vaccination? My municipality offers women of my age to get vaccinated for free. I'm trying to look for possible side-effects or negative sides to it, but it's hard to find any information about that that isn't anti-vaxx propaganda. The vaccine they're going to use is probably either Cervarix or Gardasil.

If you are a male, get the Gardasil. If you are a female, get the Gardasil. There has been insufficient testing on Cervarix on males, and it only protects against 2 of the 4 strains that are most likely to cause cancer..

That being said, my daughter works in a doctor's office and here are her 10 cents:

Get the vaccine! I've been giving it since it came out. Most common side effects are some pain and soreness in the area. Other side effects we've seen in our clinic are fever the next day and a local site reaction (whelp where we gave the shot). We've given thousands of vaccines and have had no problems.

One of our sister office had two girls that hyperventilated and passed out and one girl that cried so much she threw up.

The vaccine is a 'hot' shot and stings/hurts when it is going in. I've had more complaints about the 3rd one stinging than the first two. I wonder if it is the person building it up in their head and it would really feel the same.

I just got a flu shot. I... have had absolutely no side effects whatsoever. And none to the Tetanus vaccine I got last year.

I just got a flu shot. I... have had absolutely no side effects whatsoever. And none to the Tetanus vaccine I got last year.

Ah, yeah, Tetanus... Our high-school teacher had said two sentences in a single lesson: "Even surviving this illness doesn't give you immunity" and "Tetanus vaccine is the best thing since sliced bread" (OK, OK, I'm exaggerating on the second one, but it did say it's awesome, useful and protective :) )

Now, as far as I understand it, vaccination is called "surviving a weakened version of the illness". And surviving tetanus doesn't give you immunity. So, how does the vaccine work? The teacher had no answer.

Tetanus is present everywhere soil is present. Nobody who had ever touched some dirt would survive, except for the fact that the bacteria has an incubation period of 8 days (minimum) and needs strictly unaerobic conditions. This means you need to score a deep, dirty wound and do nothing to clean or aerate it for over a week to get sick. Doesn't look like something civilised people would do on a regular basis!

Re:flu, congratulations, Marie19R! But I have heard a parent tell that they had a mass (13 out of ~15 people in the workplace) flu vaccination - and the next day he complained that all those immunised stayed at home with flu, leaving the pair (himself and another) to work like mad. So, no guarantees either way :)

Does anyone have any experiences regarding HPV vaccination? My municipality offers women of my age to get vaccinated for free. I'm trying to look for possible side-effects or negative sides to it, but it's hard to find any information about that that isn't anti-vaxx propaganda. The vaccine they're going to use is probably either Cervarix or Gardasil.

Sorry pardon, Ripan, I'm afraid most information regarding vaccination comes either from

• The companies that make the vaccines, who

• try to save people (as part of their job description);

• try to save people from the lies of the other camp;

• try to sell enough of the product to stay in business

or from

• "Anti-vac" activists, who

• try to save people (after having some dreadful experience that convinced them that people need saving);

• try to save people from the lies of the other camp;

• hardly make any profit unless you count some publicity and a lot of curses going their way

Most others don't care either way and/or can't provide much information, since their only sources are the above two and some word-of-mouth. There are also the maverick scientists and medical workers, who might belong to either camp and try to research, prove or merely support that camp's view with the force behind their degree. These are few, far-between and probably don't collect dragons :)

That said, my 2 cents:

HPV... That part of the biology course happened in the same week as a statistics lecture. In stats we were told that just because the number of ice-cream sales and the number of sunburns at the beach correlate, they are not necessarily cause and effect. In this case, both are caused by an increase of beach-goers. Eating ice-cream doesn't make you burn and such a hypothesis would be disproved by results in Russia or Finland - I'm told they eat ice-cream all year round, including winter, meaning their ice-cream and sunburn numbers will not correlate much. But I digress... The point is, when an hour later we were told that ~78% of people with cervical cancer were found to have some virus as well, my first thought was "Which is cause and which is effect?". Now I'm pretty sure that both are effects of a weak immune system, as most other illnesses, and adding foreign matter into the bloodstream (by-passing all body defences) doesn't help matters, but that's another story.

Reading http://vactruth.com/2013/08/10/hpv-vaccines-can-kill and the official prescription information (say, here: http://www.merck.com/product/usa/pi_circul...gardasil_pi.pdf ) brings up a nasty-looking list of "side"-effects, which I don't like. I also don't like the fact that small things like headache are written up front and the full list of things that have been reported to happen after immunisation - including auto-immune disease and death - are hidden in pt. 6.2, with a sentence amounting to "this stuff is very unreliable and probably just a coincidence". I'm very shy by nature, so I can't believe that people would list such things on VAERS without overwhelming cause. Also, according to http://www.tokyotimes.com/side-effects-in-...apanese-market/ , which is more of "news" than "propaganda", Japan had stopped endorsing the vaccine, deciding that infertility is more than a coincidence. So, personally, I didn't take up our edition of the "free" program (and besides, it's "tax-paid", not "free", really).

Edit: while researching post number 2, stumbled upon this: http://www.offtheradar.co.nz . Not sure if you've seen/read/trusted it, but it exists (and I must say, I had once tried asking our University medical practice as to what vaccine they offer and what's the info sheet for it. They have, after much prodding, said it was probably Gardasil, but didn't sound very sure. I didn't get that info sheet, since prodding people is not enjoyable and I left before succeeding).

Pretty sure the original doctor who claimed that vaccines cause autism was not only thoroughly debunked, but he also redacted his claims later.

The guy's name is Andrew Wakefield. His position is listed here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andrew_Wakefi...efield_response . He maintains that his results are perfectly legitimate and have been proven in other countries.

But... *drum roll*... he never "claimed that vaccines cause autism"!

He had merely suggested that "further investigations are needed" to examine the phenomenon, after stating the obvious results of his tests, i.e: children didn't have any of the usual autism-inducing problems at first test; most had shown behaviour deterioration strikingly close to vaccination date; they also had a similar gut flora abnormality; it might be a coincidence but looks too uniform.

Here is the paper => http://briandeer.com/mmr/lancet-paper.htm.

Final summary sentence goes:

We have identified a chronic enterocolitis in children that may be related to neuropsychiatric dysfunction. In most cases, onset of symptoms was after measles, mumps, and rubella immunisation. Further investigations are needed to examine this syndrome and its possible relation to this vaccine.

Really, the results do suggest that there might be a connection. Wakefield had no choice but to comment on the fact in the "Discussion" section. In fact, a researcher who would ignore such a strong correlation would be called incompetent and given the boot.

Edited by Snowwall

And mercury can be present in many different types of fish that people eat, thermometers, florescent lamps, and more.

-snip-

So anotherwords, most of that scary stuff that's in vaccinations are not really that scary, and occur in day-to-day life anyways.

Note the key word. "EAT". That mercury is going through the gut, while whatever is in vaccine (not only mercury) is injected. You say, what's the difference?

The gut has evolved to take in what it needs and expel the stuff it doesn't. Anything that goes near the blood stream was meant to have been filtered on the skin or the mucuous membranes, blood is a very clean and a very delicately balanced substance.

While we all eat some form of plant or animal protein nearly every day, foreign (not your own) protein in blood is extremely bad news. Look up "anaphylactic shock" and the origin of the term. To save you the trouble, it was coined by Portier and Ritchet, with the latter getting a Nobel prize for the discovery. See http://www.nobelprize.org/nobel_prizes/med...et-lecture.html . And remember that a vaccine also contains foreign protein, bits of that bacteria that went into it.

So, I wouldn't agree that it all "occurs in day-to-day life". My day-to-day life doesn't involve too much deep punctures and the scratches heal too quickly for anything much from a thermometer to enter into the blood. Besides, I know how not to break a thermometer or a fluorescent bulb. Just sayin'.

I'm doing a research paper on vaccinating kids versus not vaccinating them, and I'm tickled by how much information is out there on vaccinating children. I don't think I will ever understand the mentality behind not vaccinating children that are eligible to receive them.

Shiny Hazard Sign, you still need that? There is a wonderful summary in the book by Hilary Butler, "Just A Little Prick". Well, I'm a book worm, so a book is usually "wonderful" and I consider 500 pages a "summary", considering the fact that it's ~20 years of library research. YMMV. It's available from http://www.beyondconformity.co.nz/books, I believe (I've read a printed copy, so I haven't checked out the download). Some chapters are here: http://www.whale.to/vaccines/butler88.html .

How I loathe being the other side of the story... Text wall end.

The guy's name is Andrew Wakefield. His position is listed here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andrew_Wakefi...efield_response . He maintains that his results are perfectly legitimate and have been proven in other countries.

But... *drum roll*... he never "claimed that vaccines cause autism"!

He had merely suggested that "further investigations are needed" to examine the phenomenon, after stating the obvious results of his tests, i.e: children didn't have any of the usual autism-inducing problems at first test; most had shown behaviour deterioration strikingly close to vaccination date; they also had a similar gut flora abnormality; it might be a coincidence but looks too uniform.

I'd also like to add that not only were his claims thoroughly debunked, he was also charged with 12 counts of abuse involving developmentally challenged children, which could definitely be responsible for some of the "evidence" or symptoms developed in his studies.

Now, as far as I understand it, vaccination is called "surviving a weakened version of the illness". And surviving tetanus doesn't give you immunity. So, how does the vaccine work? The teacher had no answer.

Isn't that why you get a booster every so often? (Can't recall the number of years--I just remember I needed to go in for a flu shot, and they gave me my booster since I was due for that, too)

Tetanus is present everywhere soil is present. Nobody who had ever touched some dirt would survive, except for the fact that the bacteria has an incubation period of 8 days (minimum) and needs strictly unaerobic conditions. This means you need to score a deep, dirty wound and do nothing to clean or aerate it for over a week to get sick. Doesn't look like something civilised people would do on a regular basis!

That actually may deeply depend on many factors. You'd be amazed the number of "civilized" people who don't always know how to care properly for a wound. Not to mention there are plenty of people in a "civilized" country who live out in the middle of nowhere.

There's also the possibility of certain lines of work allowing you to get such a wound, and you thinking you handled cleaning it properly but not quite doing it as well as you needed to. And not everybody realizes that letting wounds breathe is important at times.

Re: vaccines and autism

Even if it were proved that they can cause autism... The people who scream about how we need to do away with them are saying they would rather lose a child to a horrible illness than have an autistic child. Which, IMO, if you think that way you don't deserve children. Autistic people are people to, and don't deserve to be treated like they're a worse fate than a terrible death for a young child.

I'd rather see research into altering vaccines to sever the link (if there was one) than see people stop getting vaccines and opening the general population up to a greater risk of illnesses that we're rid of.

Edited by KageSora

Re: flu shot and coming down with symptoms - It's actually not uncommon to come down with a less-severe case of the flu that was contained in the vaccine, and is in fact listed in the side-effects. Perfectly normal, and another way that it encourages your body to make antibodies should you come in contact with the full-blown virus.

Mercury in vaccines - it's a compound containing mercury in the formula, bonded with something else - in other words, perfectly harmless to the human body. It's not mercury itself. Yet another reason why people without a scientific background shouldn't be giving advice on things they don't fully have a grasp of (not calling out anyone here, just people in general).

As for vaccines and Autism, the first signs of Autism usually show up at the same point that a lot of the vaccines are given, whether vaccines are given at that point or not. At the time of that study, I'd dare say that studies on Autism weren't nearly as prevalent as they are today, and I would dare say that the reason why the rates seem so high is due to better methods of detection and testing, rather than some kind of epidemic caused by vaccines. Correlation likely doesn't mean causation, in this case. If you ask your parents and grandparents, they likely knew a few people who seemed slow, or 'not quite right'.

I do love medicine. While I usually don't take stuff I don't need, it's especially helpful to take medicine for pain, headaches, coughs, etc when I'm really needing and wanting to feel *normal*, especially if I have to go to school or work. Obviously if I'm too sick for something like that I'd stay home, but medicine is wonderful in those cases. I also don't particularly like just *sleeping* all the time through something like a headache or cold (unless I'm legitimately tired), but I also don't enjoy just "dealing" with it and want to feel relatively normal so I take something for that, too.

For vaccines, I think they're wonderful. I've never really had a problem with needles so that's not really a problem, either. I do think those who can get them should. Obviously those who are allergic and would die or have even more severed health problems shouldn't. IMO if it's the first time vaccinating, I think it's much better to try than not, even if that means potentially losing a child/whomever. :c It's heartbreaking, but it's sadly life. If they're fine, then great! They help the herd immunity and help those who can't get the vaccine. Even though, imo, the fear of possible death from vaccines is justified, I think it's mostly overruled if someone is just doing it ONLY to avoid that when they/they're child is perfectly healthy (I realize the victims CAN be those who were previously healthy).

Last time I went in to get my tetanus booster I remember my left shoulder was super duper sore afterwards and I was actually somehow unable to lift my arm more than ~100º o3o I mean, they told me I might have a sore arm. Not complaining, just commenting. :P I think that's the worst thing I've ever had happen from getting a vaccination. I don't think I can even recall getting the flu after getting a flu shot. I don't always get the flu but it's years I end up not having the shot that I sometimes get it. My mom, though, always gets the flu when she gets the shot so she doesn't even bother.

Without getting into too much I will say that I have been in a bit of a battle for years due to my situation with doctors wanting to give me steroids and narcotics, I am dead against both for my own personal reasons and refuse them to the point that I just deal with the pain, along with other circumstances I have been forced to endure great pain and other horrible problems for far far too long. Now I have new doctors, a team of top notch neurologists working with me helping me to eliminate some of my pain giving me a better quality of life smile.gif My request to them was no needles and no narcotics, nothing that I can become addicted too. Their answer to my request amazed me... They said thank you!!!

They put me on medications that I am willing to take, even though I will be taking them for the rest of my life that help to prevent seizures, help to control my nerve tremors, and help to lesson my muscle spams. I never in a million years knew that such things were out there to help me. So my feelings about medication is, if it helps a person then it is good, but if you are on medication be sure that all of your doctors know what you are taking and what the dose is that you are on, so that they are all on the same page.

As far as vaccines, ask your doc before getting them. I asked mine and due to an unrelated situation that I am having, mine does not want me to receive the vaccine until we get that sorted out. So every person has their own situation, my mother is very ill she has no immune system rite now, they gave her the vaccine and she has to ware a mask every time someone enters her home or if she leaves her home.