Painter

BEES and other scary buzzing things

Bees well they are ok i even can touch them as they  land on flowers yea my neices an nephews  call me the bee whisper lol. now wasps an hornets i kill as many as i see mean things really praying mantis they are cool.Had one fly onto my shoulder once as i was walking around the yard. It stayed on my should for a good while till it decided to fly off lol. But yesterday i never in all my life have seen what happened.I was helping my mom pull out morning glories that had taken over our patio got done took the stuff down to the burn pile went in an was washing up when i felt something under my arm.hit it off an it was a baby praying mantis.I did not want it hurt so let it climb back on my arm an took it outside.It did not want to leave no matter how i tried to let it walk onto a leaf it just climb up to my shoulder.I had to pick it up an put it on the tree lol.What was strange was the color it was a greyish brown with yellow rings around it;s front legs.

Bees are fine.  Carpenter bees somewhat less so unless you protect your wood.

Wasps are actually pretty chill unless you bother them first.

Hornets are the devil incarnate.

Mantises are just adorable when they try to threat-display you XD

23 hours ago, Setsu-P said:

Bees are fine.  Carpenter bees somewhat less so unless you protect your wood.

Wasps are actually pretty chill unless you bother them first.

Hornets are the devil incarnate.

Mantises are just adorable when they try to threat-display you XD

Mantises are cute when they do that. 😂  on the things that sting we are trying very hard to get rid of a yellow jacket's nest in the ground near one of our trees it is a wonder no one has gotten stung since we have been walking an the kids playing around it.For over two weeks we had a bowl over the entrance but they are still there.Yesterday i dropped allot of dirt over an around the nest i hope this kills them if not going to get a trap or make one.

Edited by Laryal

I don't have a problem with bugs. I have arachnophobia, but things with wings and max. six legs are okay.

Three weeks ago I've been stung by a wasp for the first time in my life. That hurt a LOT. Luckily, I now know I'm not allergic as it hurt for about half an hour and then it was okay. Didn't even swell up, but the venom left a wound that hasn't fully healed up until today. I think I'll keep a scar from it.

I don't mind it much but whew, the PAIN 😧

9 hours ago, Laryal said:

on the things that sting we are trying very hard to get rid of a yellow jacket's nest in the ground near one of our trees it is a wonder no one has gotten stung since we have been walking an the kids playing around it.For over two weeks we had a bowl over the entrance but they are still there.Yesterday i dropped allot of dirt over an around the nest i hope this kills them if not going to get a trap or make one.

Yeah, I kinda feel sorry for yellowjacks.  It's unfortunate that they ground nest and like stumps and things so much, because if you don't antagonize them they're good to have around.  They used to hang out in the garden when I was a kid and we'd dig out there, waiting for earthworms and grubs, and I've had them come sit on me when I'm sweaty =p

They're kinda cute as long as they're not mad at you.

14 minutes ago, Setsu-P said:

Yeah, I kinda feel sorry for yellowjacks.  It's unfortunate that they ground nest and like stumps and things so much, because if you don't antagonize them they're good to have around.  They used to hang out in the garden when I was a kid and we'd dig out there, waiting for earthworms and grubs, and I've had them come sit on me when I'm sweaty =p

They're kinda cute as long as they're not mad at you.

oh my your  more braver than me lol but your right we  never knew it till we started mowing an they went after us lol.XD

11 minutes ago, Laryal said:

oh my your  more braver than me lol but your right we  never knew it till we started mowing an they went after us lol.XD

Not brave per se, just ridiculously laid back lol.

Yeah, the ground vibrations probably set them off.  Good rule of thumb with yellowjackets is if you have a stump or something else they'd usually nest in, keep an eye on it for a while.  You'll see the workers buzzing around it and going in and out.  That way you can either avoid em or...do something about the colony =p

2 hours ago, Setsu-P said:

Not brave per se, just ridiculously laid back lol.

Yeah, the ground vibrations probably set them off.  Good rule of thumb with yellowjackets is if you have a stump or something else they'd usually nest in, keep an eye on it for a while.  You'll see the workers buzzing around it and going in and out.  That way you can either avoid em or...do something about the colony =p

Yep an we did get rid of the nest some have escaped though but hoping that they find anouther nest site out of our yard or any one else's lol.XD

I had to take down the hummingbird feeders today. Me. Because mom won't get near wasps. Because it's autumn, the hummingbirds are gone, so the wasps swarm around the feeders to get the sugar water.

I'm terrified of wasps. I can't stay still when they're near me. I run. And scream.

I had to use a stick with hooks and nails pounded into it to bring down the feeders. Then I sprayed it with the hose set on shower to drive off the wasps. Then I grabbed the feeders and ran inside, slamming the door behind me.

They swarmed the front window for half an hour before leaving. It was awful.

Mom laughed so hard at me. I know she would've done the exact same thing, just with much more screaming and running. Thanks, mom. :/

A number of years ago, I was at the public swimming pool and had just gotten out of the hot tub when this gorl about 4 yrs old started screaming.  Being a parent, i recognized it as a 'pain' cry and ran over to her as I was there closest to her.  She kept grabbing her tummy and I could see movement, like a bug beneath the swimsuit fabric.  I took the girl and held her and grabbed a handful of the fabric and whatever it was moving around beneath it  It turned out to be a wasp that had somehow gotten caught in her swimsuit and I had crushed it.   The girl's mother came over and took the top of the suit down and the girl had 4 or 5 sting marks on her tummy.  Mommy took her to a doctor, but I never heard any more about it.

Bees don't bother me very much although I have been stung before.  The worst was when I was driving a school bus in the mountains and I was empty, heading back to the yard.  It was an old bus with wind-wings beside the driver's seat and when I drove thru a swarm of bee's, one apparently hit my windshield and was blown into the driver's compartment thru the wind-wing.  I hadn't known about it until a minute or two later, I was stung in my back.  The bee had gotten between my back and the back of the seat and I will say this...

It HURT! and I was glad my bus was empty.  I couldn't get the stinger out until I got back to the yard about 30 minutes later and had one of the other drivers remove it.  One of the women had long fingernails and was able to pull it out without squeezing the poison sac attached to the stinger...

Edited by Husky51
spelling

I love bees, they are fluffy sweet little pollinators, despite being stung by one. I’m a tad cautious, but all around I like touching them and helping them with a sugar water mix or a lift on my shoe if they’re tired.

Wasps however seem to be attracted to me, and I repelled by them! They are scary, mean but have not yet *touchwood* hurt me. It’s just they fly in my face, idk why but they just seem to love me. Sorry wasps but it’s not reciprocated!!

Im scared of all bugs except bees, dragonflies, boxelder bugs and butterflies. Even bees are iffy. They fly in my face and im scared that if i move just an inch they'll sting

But moths, ants and flies are the worst for me. I think im scared of moths and flies because i see them dead a lot, but im not even sure why i think dead bugs are scary.

But for ants... I hate walking and then seeing a pile of them crawling all over each other. Its just really disgusting to me--

It also doesnt help that every other night i have dreams that include various bugs crawling all over my legs 😕

I have a fear of wasps because when I was in primary school, I was stood under a tree which apparently had a wasps nest in it. A small child decided to come over and hit the tree with a stick, which angered a few wasps and they decided to take it out on me 😧 I only managed to get stung once (somehow) but I was a dramatic 10 year old, so I now imagine it as being extremely painful (I can't really remember exactly how much it hurt though). 

However, I like bees because they don't really harm people without reason. I remember when I wore a flower bobble in my hair and they were all attracted to it. I wasn't really bothered by it though xD

I appreciate bees.... as long as they don't get too close. :blink:

Unfortunately we mostly deal with wasps and those things are evil. :dry: They're always building nests on the side of our house... 

The insects I dislike the most are Goliath Moth's and June bugs...  I HATE them flying around my face!!!  The Moths don't buzz , but the June bugs do...