georgexu94

Word Filter

What do you think?  

26 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Erm, words tend to jumble when you type, and well, we type wrong things we don't mean.

My suggestion is when naming or describing a dragon, if we put a censored word, there would be a warning for that instead of instant death of the dragon. I mean, one can get one's dragon killed for example when instead of saying "duck", you typed censorkip.gif instead. *shrugs* The 'd' and 'f' are close enough in the keyboard.... (Happened to me)

Thanks

I'm not sure it happens to enough people often enough to be a big concern ... Just check over your descriptions before submitting them. O.o

True, but then even then, when I proofread it, it looks fine but when I describe it, and read again, there would be some mistakes I'll find. Luckily that there's some reviewers to share feedback or I won't have approved description! I already have 2 dragons with approved descriptions. And thanks I don't say ducks often tongue.gif but still.... It would be great to have warnings appear instead of being shocked to get this message: "As you write the description, you hear a loud noise. You look up to see that your dragon was shouting loudly and fell to the ground, dead."

It is also helpful since most words don't give those red underline for wrong spelling.

...wow, that happens? blink.gif Definitely in favour of getting a safety net into that. As a rule, if I type something I didn't mean to type, it's usually an entirely different word, not a misspelling in the standard sense, and while I'm fairly sure I'd catch an expletive before hitting 'submit', I think the death of the dragon would be an unduly harsh reaction to the circumstance. x_x

I noticed that censorkip.gif is not filtered in the dragon description but realised it's the common word to be confused with like typing "shot". The letters are close with one another in the keyboard!

Please censor the whole word: http://forums.dragcave.net/index.php?act=boardrules

Edited by SockPuppet Strangler

Oh my god, you get that message when your dragon dies to an inappropriate spelling? Harsh! O_o Poor dragon! Dying just of a typo!

I definitely agree to a warning. Although I've never made that mistake, I'm really scared of making it now!

((Hope that is stuff you can reply to...))

((A little OOC, but it's for giggles, I used to be so scared of the filter that I named my Winter Magi "Rinko the Butterbottom" instead of "Rinko the Butterbutt". Don't want to go around breaking rules! xd.png))

I think names already auto filter for most of the typical bad words. Filtering them out of the descriptions isn't a bad idea, either, but I think in most cases a bad word that seems out of place in a description is going to be identifiable as a typo and thus mods won't punish you for it. Half the reason we HAVE description mods is to catch and fix typos! smile.gif

Doesn't the naming feature ask you if you're sure you want to name your dragon whatever you just wrote?

It would be nice if maybe if there was a bad word in there a pop-up confirmation would appear saying something along the lines of "There is a filtered word in the description, please change it to continue" and it keeps you from submitting the description until it is changed.

It would be nice if maybe if there was a bad word in there a pop-up confirmation would appear saying something along the lines of "There is a filtered word in the description, please change it to continue" and it keeps you from submitting the description until it is changed.

This. I usually don't describe a dragon, but this would be helpful in case of spell fails biggrin.gif

Yeah, I'd be okay with this. At least it'd help people catch unintentional typos and fix them. Or change it if they were trying to include an inappropriate word. tongue.gif

I thought they just rejected your desc. for that.

Honestly if not a prevention filter, just autoreject any cussing descs.

People getting around the filter (whether a prevent or reject filter), that's a different story.

Their description should be locked on that dragon, meaning they can't describe the dragon anymore.

Edited by James1011

Yes, this. Because I describe my dragons rarely and do check for typos, but sometimes they slip through.

People getting around the filter (whether a prevent or reject filter), that's a different story.

Their description should be locked on that dragon, meaning they can't describe the dragon anymore.

But what if you realize you mis-typed something? Obviously not a 'filter' word, but what if a word was spelled wrong?

You can't edit it ever?

Edited by SkylerFarrier

Doesn't the naming feature ask you if you're sure you want to name your dragon whatever you just wrote?

Er, why yes. It also shows a check if the name is available and an X if not, is it not? But then, in the description, you don't get that, right?

----------

Hmm, I think there should be a filter for censorkip.gif as well, instead of letting it pass as a mispelled word but please no instant deaths, like the f word.

--------

Thank you for all your kind feedback and understanding. smile.gif

user posted imageuser posted imageuser posted imageuser posted imageuser posted image

~georgexu94 edit: I used the censor again because I didn't know that I broke the rules of evading the censor. I didn't know it was censor evasion. I apologise

Edited by georgexu94