georgexu94

Fears/Phobias

Most people's phobias aren't something they can just decide to get over, and then proceed to do so all on their own. Many people would need a long, long period of time in therapy, which of course you have to pay for. It's not a matter of being "willing" it's a matter of it being unrealistic most of the time. You aren't going to educate a phobia away -- it doesn't matter if you know that there's absolutely no danger at all, and most people with real phobias DO know that.

Most people's phobias aren't something they can just decide to get over, and then proceed to do so all on their own. Many people would need a long, long period of time in therapy, which of course you have to pay for. It's not a matter of being "willing" it's a matter of it being unrealistic most of the time. You aren't going to educate a phobia away -- it doesn't matter if you know that there's absolutely no danger at all, and most people with real phobias DO know that.

UGH. I do know that. I know phobias aren't something you can just get over through sheer willpower, just like you can't get over depression through sheer willpower. Just like I can't get over my social anxiety through sheer willpower. However, you CAN get over it through education and exposure. It's how I got over my arachnophobia. Mostly exposure. But first I had to learn that spiders were harmless before being willing to expose myself to them. Hence the education part. The more I forced myself to deal with them. To look at them. To touch them. The less I was afraid of them. Of course you can't just decide to not be afraid of them. But you CAN decide to expose yourself to them, and the more you do, the less you'll be afraid of them. It's the same with my social anxiety. While I do still have it, it used to be a lot worse. But the more I was exposed to social situations, the less worse it became.

EDIT: Besides, I don't honestly care if people are afraid of spiders. I'm just trying to convince people not to hate them. It's uncalled for. You can be afraid of them. Just don't hate them.

Edited by Cod Cod

I have an awful phobia of getting cuts on the bottom my wrist. Even a little scrape, where there's only like a layer or two of skin missing, will make me freak out. Cuts and bleeding don't really really bother me if it's anywhere else on my body, only if it's on the bottom of my wrists.

I used to have a really bad fear of the dark. I always had to have a night light on and I couldn't leave my room at night because the house was too dark. I still get those nights every now and them but it's mostly gone away. I still need the lights on if I'm not going to sleep though or I'll start getting scared for no reason.

Earwigs. I have an intense terrible phobia of Earwigs. My husband says my eyes go quite pale after I react to them. I do have an earwig transformer which I thought might help me get over it....but so far that thing makes me scream.

The only thing I can really think of scaring me is the thought of being attacked for who I am, which is why I don't show affection late at night in public; you never know when some crazy mother effer will show up and attack you.

I used to be afraid of bees, but this scientist studying bees let some crawl over my hand at this seminar and after a little time, I got over it fairly quickly.

My first fear is of things that fly and sting, any kind of wasp/bee type thing, next is spiders because they're so butt ugly and have bad attitudes... they usually attack me. I've been chased by the little creeps - totally unprovoked too. I think the spiders here are lunatics. So are the bees, actually. They seem to attack for no reason. If I didn't live at the base of the Rockies, I'd say they were killer bees. But I'll say I fear the flying/stinging things more than spiders since I can outrun a spider.

strangely i'm only afraid of some types of spiders but not others. for example i would freak out if i saw a daddy longlegs but not if i found a...

uh...

yeah i'm afraid of all kinds of spiders.

i also fear strangers acting weirdly. just the sheer amount of suspicion of whatever strange thing they're doing leads me to believe they're attackers or murderers.

then of course, they're not. they're people.

I've had a phobia (or intense irrational fear) of talking to teachers and making mistakes. It's something I've only recently started to confront, and boy is it ever hard. Any time I 'relapse', or I have time to think about it at home, all I do is cry and wish that I didn't have to go back to school. I still lose my nerve even after two months of forcing myself to go in and ask questions, and after recognizing that my teacher is awesome and forgiving and mistakes are something that everyone does (and teachers would be the ones to understand that the most out of everyone).

Edited by High Lord November

I dont really know exactly what Im afraid of. Is that bad?

I have a friend who is afriad of water, kitchens (xd.png), small areas, and thunderstorms

This.

Oh HELL no...

I couldn't watch all the way through. *twitch* >_<

Edited by MedievalMystic

It's fine...unless you have a fear of heights...and I do... That video literally made my skin crawl.

People are stupid.

Edited by MedievalMystic

nah. I have a sister who is afraid of hights and during one summer we went on vacation and stayed at a beach condo called Crystal Towers on the top floor which was floor 20. I bet my sister didn't like looking down from the balcony too much xd.png

This. 

Oh HELL no... 

I couldn't watch all the way through.  *twitch*  >_<

I watched the video and it's terrifying. How can anyone be so stupid? I have a fear of heights too and now I feel dizzy. xd.png

This.

Oh HELL no...

I couldn't watch all the way through. *twitch* >_<

I'm not afraid of heights at all tongue.gif That actually looks really fun, as long as there was something to hold onto xd.png. Safety first!

I'm mildly afraid of heights, mostly ladders or things where there's nothing to keep me from falling. I do love roller coasters and stuff though. I recently went on this new ride at Six Flags New England where the thingy goes up nearly 40 stories. I was actually really fun!

But other than that, nothing else really bothers me. I can deal with spiders and bugs all day long and not have a problem.

Spiders. Oh my, spiders. A close second would be heights/falling.

I remember in Year 12, we went on this camp thing and in one of the activities you were strapped into this harness pulley thing between three really tall posts and then your classmates would haul you up and then once at the very top you had to pull this little strap thing and mAKE YOURSELF FALL and then you'd sort of have a really high swing between the two posts. I did it, but remembering that hollow feeling and the sight of the ground rushing up still gets me on edge - I had to shut my eyes even while just swinging. I didn't really know how scared I was of it until then.

Heights. And, of course, Thanatophobia, fear of death.

Urg, I always feel horrible looking at something from up high. Of course, I hide it pretty well, but that doesn't mean I'm comfortable. I'm a tad bit paranoid about people around me dying and me dying...

I got over all my fears but one. It's not really a fear but more of a alertness, or

something. Everywhere I go, I am always aware of the people around me, no matter

who it is (Besides Family) and i have to have a escape plan or mode of protection. By

mode of protection I mean some sort of protective weapon with me. No one really

notices though. I'm not really used to talking to people I don't know actually, I guess

you could say I'm shy happy.gif But anyways I used to be afraid of heights, but now I only

get afraid if I'm actually about to fall. I think I got over my fear when I almost fell of

the roof of a house, I grabbed on at the last moment though. It's definitely not as bad as a phobia or anything. But don't get me wrong if you try to mug me you better know what you're doing.

Edited by DragonKami

I swear to god I saw a large flying earwig... I'd google to see if there is a wasp that looks like an earwig, but Id' get pics of earwigs.

I was googling wood mites the other day and screamed when a large earwig picture appeared. I can't help it. its dumb but they scare me to the pit.

Oh yeah, stage fright. I have that, too. Can't do anything proper in front of a crowd without shaking.