HollyTheColliegirl

Blood Type

What is your blood type?  

345 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I'm O+ which I know because I was premature and the doctors tested my twin and I just in case they needed to know. Don't think it's on our birth certificates though... Our little brother has never been tested but I'm pretty sure that both my parents are O+ (not 100% sure about dad) so he'd then have to be O.

Not that I can donate any way - NZ bans anyone who was in the UK for more than a total of 6 months between 1986 and 1996 in case we have mad cow disease tongue.gif

And RockChick - you don't NEED to know your blood type unless you are receiving a transfusion. Even donating they'll be testing it after anyway. The NHS system is already straining under the pressure of people wanting minor things checked out/looked at and 'DO IT RIGHT NOW PLEASE!!'; it really can't handle people wanting tests done for their own amusement. I have 2 aunts working as GPs in the UK (1 has retired at 55, the other is planning to when she reaches that age), and my father was trained there; they are not lying to you, they just do not have the time to be organising unnecessary tests, the NHS GPs are way overworked as it is and burning out young. I don't know what your doctor was interrogating you about - I suspect she was trying to establish if you NEEDED to know. Which you don't. Sorry.

I'm sorry, I don't mean to attack you, but I have very strong feelings about the medical system, and I do think a lot of people are very under appreciative of the amount of work a GP under the NHS does, and how NOT well they are payed for it but this is not the time for that discussion

Edited by Prince_Xanthius

Not that I can donate any way - NZ bans anyone who was in the UK for more than a total of 6 months between 1986 and 1996 in case we have mad cow disease  :P

Wow, I know prion diseases can incubate for a long, long time, but I guess I didn't think about the ban lasting into the 2010's. I think the ban in the U.S affects (affected?) people who were only there for 2 or 3 months, but then again I don't think the U.S even keeps a national database of infected cases so I'm not sure how they manage to control things...

I bet New Zealand steak tastes pretty good these days =P

I don't know what mine is, but I hope it's the one that can be paired with other types. I was told that one is rare, but when I go to donate blood I'd love for my blood to be able to help many people instead of just those of one type.

Wow, I know prion diseases can incubate for a long, long time, but I guess I didn't think about the ban lasting into the 2010's. I think the ban in the U.S affects (affected?) people who were only there for 2 or 3 months, but then again I don't think the U.S even keeps a national database of infected cases so I'm not sure how they manage to control things...

I bet New Zealand steak tastes pretty good these days =P

I think NZ just takes the attitude that better safe than sorry, and since they do get enough blood donated as it is, they haven't lifted the ban. Just in case.

I'm an O, but dunno if it's positive or negative. My aunt and mother are O negatives and my Grandmother an O positive.

Whoa, the poll results are weird, I thought O was supposed to be the least common? blink.gif

Anyway, I'm not sure what my blood type is, but based on my parents' it's either A or B... I would like to find out for sure one day. xd.png

Nah, I'm pretty sure O is the most common. Where I live, at least. I know I'm B type. Anyone here with Bombay blood?

I'm A+, and since my mother is O- I also know my exact blood genetics =P

While actual instances of blood type vary between races, the least common blood type I believe is AB- while the most common is O+, followed by A+

Huh, I didn't know 0 was the most common in large parts of the world. In Europe, A seems to be slightly more common, but not as clearly as I thought.

According to my blood donor card, I'm A1+.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blood_type_di...tion_by_country

It's funny how it varies between countries. Probably interesting for evolutionary scientists or historians. smile.gif

I think O+ is the most common, but O- is not very common.

I'm not 100% sure but I think I'm O+

I'm AB-, which I only know because I still have my hospital band and have needed transfusions in the past. rolleyes.gif

Back in high school, there was a laboratory activity in biology where I had to mix my blood in two different serums. According to the experiment results, my blood type was A. Ever since then, I thought that my blood type was A.

When I had a medical examination for internship, I learned that my blood type was actually O. (I lived a lie for almost a decade!) I don't recall if it was + or - though.

Type O is the most common in a lot of places, specially Europe, because it was resistant to the black death, therefore killing people with other types more easily and leaving mostly O's to reproduce. It is also recessive and can appear even though both parents are A or B. O negative it the universal red cells donor though (which is rarer), but not O positive.

Also, I am a B+ smile.gif

A+ and CMV negative. I got a special sticker on my donor card!

Huh. So is there a test for if you're CMV negative? Any special reason you got it done?

I believe it is a test that they do routinely. Very few people are CMV negative, so they are valuable as blood donors. CMV negative blood is needed for those with decreased immunity. My hubby is CMV negative and they urge him to donate as often as he can.

Edited by purplehaze

I'm O+. My father, sister, and brother are all O+ as well, but my mother is O-. After looking up what CMV is, I definitely am not negative since I've had both chickenpox and shingles before...