HollyTheColliegirl

Blood Type

What is your blood type?  

345 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

A, B, AB, and O have to do with specific antigens on the cell membrane. Think of them as ID cards. A has one type, B has another, AB has both, and O has neither.

Rh factor has to do with another protein. If you have it rh is positive. If you don't have it it's negative. This is a separate set of ID tags.

I'm going to use Twilight terminology even though I don't like Twilight because I don't feel like coming up with something else.

Imagine that blood cells are all just a whole bunch of people who've read the Twilight series.

There is a war between Team Edward and Team Jacob.

A blood type are your Team Edward fanatics.

B blood type are your Team Jacob fanatics.

Team Edward does not like Team Jacob. There is a war, in fact, between Team Edward and Team Jacob, and Team "I love them both!" is unsuccessfully trying to play peacekeeper. If you throw some Team Jacob people in a house full of Team Edward people, there's going to be a spat and people get hurt.

If you throw anyone from either of these teams into a party of AB type people, they will grow to develop at least a grudging respect for the other.

AB blood type are your "I love them both!" people.

Throw one of these people in a party of Team Jacob fans and there are going to be problems because Team Jacob fanatics don't tolerate anyone who likes Edward. Vice versa.

O blood type are your Team Edward Scissorhands, or "I don't really care about them."

Throw one of these people in a Team Jacob party, and all the Team Jacob fanatics will take these people under their wing and teach them everything there is to love about Jacob. Same idea with throwing them into a Team Edward or "I love them both!" party.

However, they don't like it when those other Team players barge into their parties trying to convert them. Then things will get nasty.

Now, Rh has to do with whether or not they've seen the movies.

rh positive are the ones who have seen the movie and think everyone should see the movies.

rh negative are the ones who haven't and don't really care to.

Throw an rh negative into a party of rh positives, and they will be treated to a Twilight movie marathon.

Throw an rh positive into a party of rh negatives, there will be problems.

Blood has two different properties: antigens and rh. This makes for the eight different blood types:

A+ (Team Edward who are movie fanatics.)

A- (Team Edward who haven't seen the movies.)

B+ (Team Jacob who are movie fanatics.)

B- (Team Jacob who haven't seen the movies.)

AB+ (Team "I love them both!" who are fanatics of the movies.)

AB- (Team "I love them both!" who haven't seen the movies.)

O+ (Team "I don't care for either" who have seen the movies.)

O- (Team "I don't care for either" who don't care to see the movies.)

O- is welcome at any party, but they don't welcome anyone different in their parties. (Universal donor)

AB+ is that guy who throws the great parties but isn't welcome at anybody else's. (Universal recipient)

O+ can only welcome itself and O- into its home, but it's welcome at parties A+, B+, AB+, and other O+ hold. If it tried to go to an AB- party, there would be issues over O+'s + because, while the AB- crowd are ready to convert this O "I don't care for either" to "I love them both!", O+ just wants to watch the movies while AB- thinks the movies are probably overrated and would much rather discuss the books. (This is why O+ is not a universal donor.)

All that being said now,....

I'm an O+.

I don't really care about Edward or Jacob. And I've only seen the first movie, and frankly, it wasn't that great. xd.png

My dad is O+, and his mom was B-. My mom is A+.

Edited by Snickie

I'm sorry but my brain grinds to a screeching halt and then shuts off whenever it encounters twilight references tongue.gif.

Wow tons of Os. I'm a B+. When I was little, Animal Crossing was like, "What's your blood type?" I didn't know. AB sounded really cool so I chose that. ALL THE TIME. Until I asked my dad, "Daddy, what's my blood type?" He didn't know. Great. He said to ask mommy, who knew I was B+. My sister and her are O+. Me and my dad, B+. And my brother.

Not to stereotype or anything, but I remember reading somewhere that certain blood types seem to come from certain regions. B came most commonly from Africa, and either A was found in a lot of American Indians and people like that and the European Caucasians people were O or vice versa. It's pretty interesting because my grandmother who is B- was adopted and we have no idea who her parents were. It's possible one was African-American, which makes for a more diversified genealogy for me.

Anyway, if I ever find it again, I'll link it here.

Not to stereotype or anything, but I remember reading somewhere that certain blood types seem to come from certain regions. B came most commonly from Africa, and either A was found in a lot of American Indians and people like that and the European Caucasians people were O or vice versa. It's pretty interesting because my grandmother who is B- was adopted and we have no idea who her parents were. It's possible one was African-American, which makes for a more diversified genealogy for me.

Anyway, if I ever find it again, I'll link it here.

it's also why cysstic fibrosis is more common in the Western world - during the Plague, if you had ONE gene (ie, you were a carrier) of Cystic Fibrosis, I'm pretty sure you have a better chance at surviving. I don't think you were entirely immune, I just think you were less likely to die o>o

Yeah the genes for blood type serve other purposes besides blood type; most if not all genes do a lot of things at once. A fair chunk of people of oriental descent are type O and that's probably related to something that's allowed us to survive certain conditions or diseases that are in SE Asia.

Similarly to the Cystic Fibrosis example, the gene that causes Sickle Cell Anemia is known to make one more resistant to Malaria. GENETICS!

----

Unrelated: a friend of mine is B-. She keeps getting calls from the blood bank because rare blood type.

Edited by Lythiaren

Wow tons of Os. I'm a B+. When I was little, Animal Crossing was like, "What's your blood type?" I didn't know. AB sounded really cool so I chose that. ALL THE TIME. Until I asked my dad, "Daddy, what's my blood type?" He didn't know. Great. He said to ask mommy, who knew I was B+. My sister and her are O+. Me and my dad, B+. And my brother.

Being a blood banker, that means to me that both your mom and your dad are phenotypically BO, instead of BB. In order to be an O, you have to have O genes from both parents, however, if your mom was an A (with AO phenotype), and your dad was an B )with BO phenotype),, you could have either A, B, AB, or O in your family.

I won't get into more detail cause then it muddies the entire thing, but its all real fun. As a B+, you can receive blood from either B+, B-, O+, or O-.

Ooh. I heard O types could give blood to all blood types. My mom said that Bs could only give blood to Bs, so O was a better type or something. It would've been nice to have A or AB. They're the sweetest blood types... Which is a bit weird.

Ooh. I heard O types could give blood to all blood types. My mom said that Bs could only give blood to Bs, so O was a better type or something. It would've been nice to have A or AB. They're the sweetest blood types... Which is a bit weird.

Well I think it would be better to be a type that can receive from the most amount of people than to be a type that can give to more people, because unless you donate there's not much point being a universal donor.

Im either a B+ or an O+, I can't remember which one. I'd rather be a B though since being O is pretty bad. Donating is nice and all but I like the idea of having more possibilities instead of less if I do lose blood.

Since some fun blood type related facts are being shared, I thought I would share this!

It was having to do with the spread of the Black Plague and how Poland seemingly avoided it (there was another fact about bathing before this one, which is why it starts with 'also'):

Also, this might have something to do with it: from what I understand, O blood type is uncommonly… common in Poland. Something to do with large families in small villages and a LOT of intermarriage. The black plague was caused by a bacterium that produced, in its waste in the human body, wastes that very closely mimic the “B” marker sugars on red blood cells that keep the body from attacking its own immune system. Anyone who has a B blood type had an immune system that was naturally desensitized to the presence of the bacterium, and therefore was more prone to developing the disease. Anyone who had an O type was doubly lucky because the O blood type means the total absence of ANY markers, A or B, meaning that their bodys’ immune system would react quickly and violently against the invaders, while someone with an A may show symptoms and recover more slowly, while someone with B would have just died. Because O is a recessive blood type, it shows in higher numbers when more people who carry the recessive genes marry other people who also carry the recessive gene. Poland, which has a nearly 700 year history of being conquered by or partnering with every other nation in the surrounding area, was primarily an agricultural country, focused around smaller, farming communities where people were legally tied to, and required to work, “their” land, and so historically never “spread” their genes across a large area. The economy was, and had been, unstable for a very long period of time leading up to the plague, the government had been ineffective and had very little reach in comparison to the armies of the other countries around for a very very long time, and so its people largely remained in small communities where multiple generations of cross-familial inbreeding could have allowed for this more recessive gene to show up more frequently. Thus, there could be a higher percentage of O blood types in any region of the country, guaranteeing less spread of the illness and moving slower when it did manage to travel. Combine this with the fact that there were very few large, urban centers where the disease would thrive, and with the above facts, and you’ve got a lovely recipe for avoiding the plague.

Interestingly enough, as a result from the plague, the entirety of Europe now has a higher percentage of people with O blood type than any other region of the world.

Guys, there's really very little danger of not having compatible blood when you're an O+. It's pretty common. Recessive doesn't necessarily mean rare; the gene for blue eyes is recessive and look how many people have those.

If you want an example that isn't people, the gene for green in peas is recessive and how often do you get yellow peas at the grocery store?

Edited by Lythiaren

I'm an 0, never checked but both my parents are 0+ and 0- (I think thats the correct terms for it).

Guys, there's really very little danger of not having compatible blood when you're an O+. It's pretty common. Recessive doesn't necessarily mean rare; the gene for blue eyes is recessive and look how many people have those.

0+ is indeed pretty common. 0- like I am should be notably rarer, though, and B- the rarest.

Eye color, however, is actually impacted by more than dozen genes. wink.gif

I don't know my blood type, even though I've had to have blood tests every three months for years.

My parents don't know either, so there's that. :b

My little cousin is a B- or O-. My aunt said she wasn't born that way. Is it possible to be MADE a negative? My aunt said she had this shot or something like that and she turned into a B or O-.

My little cousin is a B- or O-. My aunt said she wasn't born that way. Is it possible to be MADE a negative? My aunt said she had this shot or something like that and she turned into a B or O-.

Changing blood type itself I think may only (sometimes) happen with bone marrow transplants or such. Changing Rh type I don't believe happens. Different tests may reveal you as + or - due to something known as being "Weak D" for the Rh factor and depending how the test is done in different places, the Rh may be read differently. I think babies are often 'diagnosed' wrong if the test is done too soon after birth and it's recommended to wait until the baby is six months old for a proper test.

BUT that's all from a few minutes of Google. x3 Someone please smack me if I picked up on the wrong info.

A, B, AB, and O have to do with specific antigens on the cell membrane. Think of them as ID cards. A has one type, B has another, AB has both, and O has neither.

Rh factor has to do with another protein. If you have it rh is positive. If you don't have it it's negative. This is a separate set of ID tags.

I'm going to use Twilight terminology even though I don't like Twilight because I don't feel like coming up with something else.

Imagine that blood cells are all just a whole bunch of people who've read the Twilight series.

There is a war between Team Edward and Team Jacob.

A blood type are your Team Edward fanatics.

B blood type are your Team Jacob fanatics.

Team Edward does not like Team Jacob. There is a war, in fact, between Team Edward and Team Jacob, and Team "I love them both!" is unsuccessfully trying to play peacekeeper. If you throw some Team Jacob people in a house full of Team Edward people, there's going to be a spat and people get hurt.

If you throw anyone from either of these teams into a party of AB type people, they will grow to develop at least a grudging respect for the other.

AB blood type are your "I love them both!" people.

Throw one of these people in a party of Team Jacob fans and there are going to be problems because Team Jacob fanatics don't tolerate anyone who likes Edward. Vice versa.

O blood type are your Team Edward Scissorhands, or "I don't really care about them."

Throw one of these people in a Team Jacob party, and all the Team Jacob fanatics will take these people under their wing and teach them everything there is to love about Jacob. Same idea with throwing them into a Team Edward or "I love them both!" party.

However, they don't like it when those other Team players barge into their parties trying to convert them. Then things will get nasty.

Now, Rh has to do with whether or not they've seen the movies.

rh positive are the ones who have seen the movie and think everyone should see the movies.

rh negative are the ones who haven't and don't really care to.

Throw an rh negative into a party of rh positives, and they will be treated to a Twilight movie marathon.

Throw an rh positive into a party of rh negatives, there will be problems.

Blood has two different properties: antigens and rh. This makes for the eight different blood types:

A+ (Team Edward who are movie fanatics.)

A- (Team Edward who haven't seen the movies.)

B+ (Team Jacob who are movie fanatics.)

B- (Team Jacob who haven't seen the movies.)

AB+ (Team "I love them both!" who are fanatics of the movies.)

AB- (Team "I love them both!" who haven't seen the movies.)

O+ (Team "I don't care for either" who have seen the movies.)

O- (Team "I don't care for either" who don't care to see the movies.)

O- is welcome at any party, but they don't welcome anyone different in their parties. (Universal donor)

AB+ is that guy who throws the great parties but isn't welcome at anybody else's. (Universal recipient)

O+ can only welcome itself and O- into its home, but it's welcome at parties A+, B+, AB+, and other O+ hold. If it tried to go to an AB- party, there would be issues over O+'s + because, while the AB- crowd are ready to convert this O "I don't care for either" to "I love them both!", O+ just wants to watch the movies while AB- thinks the movies are probably overrated and would much rather discuss the books. (This is why O+ is not a universal donor.)

All that being said now,....

I'm an O+.

I don't really care about Edward or Jacob. And I've only seen the first movie, and frankly, it wasn't that great. xd.png

My dad is O+, and his mom was B-. My mom is A+.

Ohh, I love the way you related it with the movie smile.gif

I'm O+, and that's for sure, once we made an experiment in school, and all of us checked our blood types. One friend of mine is O- and another is AB. And we were 29 persons only in that time. Tough my finger still screams when I see a needle, our profesor was like stabbing our poor fingers, and she even was enjoying it!

One biology profesor explained to us that two parents with Rh positive could have a Rh negative son, and also biseversa, being the last one the most complicated in the pregnancy.

Also, another curiosity, the heterochromic gen (eyes of different colours) is a resesive one, meaning that it misses generations, and can pop out in any time if one member of the family had it.

:l I don't know... and I probably will never know... (I have a phobia of needles)

Though I am slightly interested.