HollyTheColliegirl

Blood Type

What is your blood type?  

345 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

It's called O? Where I live, that type is called 0. blink.gif I thought everyone in this thread was doin' it rong but it's probably just different here. Weird.

Anyways, I have no idea what blood type I have. Judging from my parents, it's either A or AB. How do I find out?

My blood type is B+. The only way I found out was by donating blood. xd.png

I think it definitely suits me.

AB... I'm not sure + or - but I think +. Don't remember. :V

My Japanese teacher implied that I behave accordingly but I don't really know :B

Edited by Pika_Oi

I am O Rh positive uvu just like my mum.

Fun fact: O is the recessive gene, whilst A and B are joint-dominant, that's why you can be AB, but not OA or OB. For you to have O blood, both parents must carry the gene for O uvu So you can be O even if your mother is A and your father is B, for instance.

/science facts

M'yeah, I was told that O was uncommon as well. laugh.gif Or maybe it was just O-

All in all, it looks like DC draws in O blood types. wink.gif

It's probably O- that is uncommon-ish. O overall is probably really common. At least, that's what the red cross says.

Anyways, I'm O-. ^-^

Fun fact: O is the recessive gene, whilst A and B are joint-dominant, that's why you can be AB, but not OA or OB. For you to have O blood, both parents must carry the gene for O uvu So you can be O even if your mother is A and your father is B, for instance.

/science facts

Yep smile.gif I'm O and my mom is A and my dad was B

I'm actually surprised about the many O blood types.

When I was in school they showed a statistic that O is very rare in our country.

Well, I'm in nursing school and the teachers told me that O and A are the most common ones. Then comes B and AB.

Like xdlugia said, it's O- that's rare. Actually every negative is rare since the big majority of people have positive.

Anyways, I have A+

I am O+. Universal donor. Everyone can use my blood. I, on the other hand, Can only use O blood. Wierd huh?

AB is the Universal Receiver. They can take all types.

nope and nope

O- is the universal donor - it has no antigens present on it's surface for white blood cells to recognise as non-self therefore anyone may receive O- blood - which is why they ask you to come more often.

You can only receive blood of your letter and Rhesus type, or O-. I can only receive O+ or O-, someone with AB- can only receive AB- and O-.

This is because different shapes are present on the surface of the blood. If you give someone with AB- blood AB+ blood, they will die. :B

Seriously though, I'm doing A level biology. I know allll about this stuff.

Edited by Redquaza

nope and nope

O- is the universal donor - it has no antigens present on it's surface for white blood cells to recognise as non-self therefore anyone may receive O- blood - which is why they ask you to come more often.

You can only receive blood of your letter and Rhesus type, or O-. I can only receive O+ or O-, someone with AB- can only receive AB- and O-.

This is because different shapes are present on the surface of the blood. If you give someone with AB- blood AB+ blood, they will die. :B

Seriously though, I'm doing A level biology. I know allll about this stuff.

If I might add something (not that what you said was wrong), but O- is only the universal donor and AB+ the universal receiver if we're talking about the blood cells. Some people get blood plasma transfusions instead of blood cell transfusions. In that case AB is the universal donor and O the universal receiver. AB doesn't has antibodies against anything, A has antibodies against B antigens, B has antibodies against A antigens and O has antibodies against both.

If I might add something (not that what you said was wrong), but O- is only the universal donor and AB+ the universal receiver if we're talking about the blood cells. Some people get blood plasma transfusions instead of blood cell transfusions. In that case AB is the universal donor and O the universal receiver. AB doesn't has antibodies against anything, A has antibodies against B antigens, B has antibodies against A antigens and O has antibodies against both.

Technically, if we're talking about blood plasma, anyone can receive anyone's plasma.

Don't forget, all four groups have antibodies for every other group (positive and negative), bar antibodies for O- (because of antigen lacking). Though I was unaware that AB+ was the universal receiver!

I know if a mother is a negative/positive blood type, and her child is the other blood type, they have to take special precautions because the mother's antigens can pass through the placenta to the feotus, and attack it's blood cells so it is less able to get oxygen and nutrients around the body. This is the case even if the mother is A+ and the child is A-, and the same the other way around and with the other blood types.

/science facts

You actually can be AO and BO, meaning you are heterozygous for the O allele but it is recessive so it doesn't affect your phenotype.

It would be better expressed like this:

A = I^A

B = I^B

O = i

AO = I^A i (Type A )

BO = I^B i (Type B )

It is because of this possibility that parents with Type A and Type B can have a Type O child.

Edited by HollyTheColliegirl

You actually can be AO and BO, meaning you are heterozygous for the O allele but it is recessive so it doesn't affect your phenotype.

It would be better expressed like this:

A = I^A

B = I^B

O = i

AO = I^A i

BO = I^B i

That's what I meant :y You can have any combination of the three but unless you're OO, you can never be O

also i'm kind of glad B and O don't display together

"What blood type are you?"

"BO."

I'm O-. I thought it was the universal recipient, but now I'm not so sure...

I'm O-. I thought it was the universal recipient, but now I'm not so sure...

No, they are the universal donor. AB+ is the universal recipient.

O rh Pos (O+) here. Found that out after I donated blood for the first time, and I was pretty happy that I'm a universal donor.

Unfortunately due to my mom's vacationing preferences, they won't let me give blood at the moment. I've been to Haiti and Jamaica recently and they won't let people donate if they've been to certain places in the past year. But given how nasty the staff were last time I went to give blood, I may not do it anymore, or at least not there. I got yelled at for nothing. Gee, I went to you to let you stick a needle in me and draw out two cups of my blood because you called me, what are you so angry about? :|

Edited by Lythiaren

O rh Pos (O+) here. Found that out after I donated blood for the first time, and I was pretty happy that I'm a universal donor.

Unfortunately due to my mom's vacationing preferences, they won't let me give blood at the moment. I've been to Haiti and Jamaica recently and they won't let people donate if they've been there in the past year. But given how nasty the staff were last time I went to give blood, I may not do it anymore, or at least not there. I got yelled at for nothing. Gee, I went to you to let you stick a needle in me and draw out two cups of my blood because you called me, what are you so angry about? :|

O Rh Neg is universal, not O Rh Pos o<o

O is universal. +/- has to do with proteins.

At least that's what I was told. My brother would know more, I'll ask him since he's been doing gene research lately. I am admittedly not a biology person.

Edited by Lythiaren

O is universal. +/- has to do with proteins.

At least that's what I was told. My brother would know more, I'll ask him since he's been doing gene research lately. I am admittedly not a biology person.

O- displays no antigens on it's surface, therefore anyone is able to receive it. O+ does display antigens on the surface, therefore if donated to A, B or AB, it would be attacked and destroyed. Given to O+, though, it'd be accepted.

O- displays no antigens on it's surface, therefore anyone is able to receive it. O+ does display antigens on the surface, therefore if donated to A, B or AB, it would be attacked and destroyed. Given to O+, though, it'd be accepted.

Do you mean A-,B-, and AB-?

Edited by Syaoransbear

Do you mean A-,B-, and AB-?

idk i was tired when i wrote it and i'm still tired now

also i haven't done biology in 2 weeks sobs

I'm type O (the most common kind). I'm pretty sure my whole family is too.