Riverwillows

Expand Prize Dragons' Breeding Just a Bit.....

Just thinking it would be nice to have a Shimmer/Split pairing, or a Tinsel/Drake pairing. Or Pygmys. Things like that.

Keep the breedings for the splits, pygmys and drakes as they are WITH THE EXCEPTION of adding Prize dragons.

Make the Prize Dragons able to breed with all breeds. What you all think?

Edited by Riverwillows

I don't see a problem with adding splits (as we've seen in glitch wild dragons splits can breed with single headed dragons) however since right now part of the sites dermination of drakes is their intelligence I'd prefer they'd be kept out of it.

Also no pygmies breeding with the prize dragons (in case this gets spread to there).

No, I think prize dragons are special and coveted enough already. I don't think they need special breeding powers as well.

But I think it would be pretty awesome if next year's prize were a shiny pygmy. :-) Pygmies could definitely use more love, and a pygmy prize might make breeding them into lineages more appealing...

I'm not really a fan of this - and I got the impression (from two different PM exchanges with him) that TJ doesn't like to mix his breeding groups.

This doesn't really make much sense. Splits and regulars don't mix because they are genetically different. Pygmies, too small, and Drakes, too stupid (lol). As such, I don't see how Prizes and other breeding groups could mix.

I don't really see why we need this? I think we need more breeding opportunities for splits etc, but that would be releasing other types of splits. Not allowing prizes to do it.

Eh... no.

Prize dragons are 'rare' enough, they don't need special breeding. And RP wise it wouldn't make any sense. Why are they suddenly compatable with these other breeds? o.e

Ehhh... Only if the spriter thought that the breed was 'special' in that way, in my opinion. I mean, we're talking about breeding habits and abilities and genetics, here, not just 'specialness'. I wouldn't want to see Tinsels and Shimmers redisgned from the grounds up because of that, though of course if new prizes in the future can cross breed then it's up to the spriter and TJ to decide smile.gif

(Though I have to say, wouldn't this need to be checked with the spriters of the splits, drakes and pygmies too? To see if *they* are okay with that? Could be more complicated than it is worth.)

Edited by kerrikins

Absolutely not to the Pygmies.

I've been around the 'net long enough to know what that would look like, and unless dragons mate through non-physical mystical means... Female Pygmies would need to be preeeeetty stretchy to mate with a much larger male dragon--much less to incubate an egg large enough to hold a larger dragon.

As for males mating with larger females... A little less "oh god that looks painful" to think about. But still.

Unless the prize dragons are specifically supposed to be not terribly larger than a pygmy...

Eh... no.

Prize dragons are 'rare' enough, they don't need special breeding. And RP wise it wouldn't make any sense. Why are they suddenly compatable with these other breeds? o.e

This. I'd prefer to see other dragons released that are two-headed, drakes and pygmies, rather than letting one current dragon breed with all of them. Since it's impossible for regular dragons to, I don't understand how it would make sense to allow prizes to do it. In a RP sense, it would be illogical.

Well I'd definitely cut out pygmies just because... logic.

And I suppose you could follow that logic to Two-Headed dragons as well but why not drakes? Because they're too stupid? O.o

I've been around the 'net long enough to know what that would look like, and unless dragons mate through non-physical mystical means... Female Pygmies would need to be preeeeetty stretchy to mate with a much larger male dragon--much less to incubate an egg large enough to hold a larger dragon.

As for males mating with larger females... A little less "oh god that looks painful" to think about. But still.

Unless the prize dragons are specifically supposed to be not terribly larger than a pygmy...

This!

Now I have to find something to erase my mental image of a 10-15' dragon* mating with something the size of a small house-cat. o_0;

*I don't know that Shimmers are this big, Mysfytt would know for sure, but it's how big I picture them being...

Must agree with everyone else. It simply doesn't make sense and isn't needed. "Prize" dragons are already PLENTY popular, they simply don't *need* yet another "special" thing to make them even more popular. And cave-wise, Splits and pygmies and such have physical, genetic *reasons* why they can't breed outside their species. So yeah, they physically wouldn't be able to successfully mate with Prize dragons.

Now if we got a shapeshifting dragon, I think it would be interesting for THAT dragon to have the special power of being able to mate with any breed. :-)

Now if we got a shapeshifting dragon, I think it would be interesting for THAT dragon to have the special power of being able to mate with any breed. :-)

Does conservation of mass not apply?

Magic heeds none of your logic!

That being said, don't really like the idea of Prize dragons being able to breed specially.

Must agree with everyone else. It simply doesn't make sense and isn't needed. "Prize" dragons are already PLENTY popular, they simply don't *need* yet another "special" thing to make them even more popular. And cave-wise, Splits and pygmies and such have physical, genetic *reasons* why they can't breed outside their species. So yeah, they physically wouldn't be able to successfully mate with Prize dragons.

I agree with all of this, although it would be nice to have at least one or two additional multi-headed species for the splits to breed with.

Well, even if it did, the dragon could still shapeshift into a very DENSE pygmy, one imagines. :-)

Ehhh... Only if the spriter thought that the breed was 'special' in that way, in my opinion. I mean, we're talking about breeding habits and abilities and genetics, here, not just 'specialness'. I wouldn't want to see Tinsels and Shimmers redisgned from the grounds up because of that, though of course if new prizes in the future can cross breed then it's up to the spriter and TJ to decide smile.gif

(Though I have to say, wouldn't this need to be checked with the spriters of the splits, drakes and pygmies too? To see if *they* are okay with that? Could be more complicated than it is worth.)

Sorry, no, spriters' or conceptors' wishes don't count. I once started a concept for a dragon that could shapeshift and asked TJ if it was acceptable under these conditions that a shapeshifted-into-twoheadedness-dragon could reproduce with a regular split. The answer was a very definite no.

Edited by olympe

I agree with all of this, although it would be nice to have at least one or two additional multi-headed species for the splits to breed with.

Now *this* I completely agree with. I've wondered, more then a few times, why we have multiple "pygmy" species that can breed within their pygmy-status, and yet the two-headeds are limited to only one species because there *are* no other two-headed species.

No, I think prize dragons are special and coveted enough already. I don't think they need special breeding powers as well.

This was my first thought. there are already a ton of pairing possibilities and lines to collect without invalidating DC logic to create more.

Well, even if it did, the dragon could still shapeshift into a very DENSE pygmy, one imagines. :-)

Maybe that's why one of the Pygmy eggs says, "This tiny egg is heavier than you expected". laugh.gif

I've been around the 'net long enough to know what that would look like, and unless dragons mate through non-physical mystical means...  Female Pygmies would need to be preeeeetty stretchy to mate with a much larger male dragon--much less to incubate an egg large enough to hold a larger dragon.

As for males mating with larger females...  A little less "oh god that looks painful" to think about.  But still.

Now I need to get rid of this picture in my head... Kagesore, you have any suggestions to get rid of it? laugh.gif

Anyway, like everyone else said, no breeding with pygmy's, draks (dovealove's creatures) and splits.

I've seen a few split-like dragons in the Completed Requests list, so perhaps that could be a solution for the splits.

And a pygmy as a next prize dragon would be awesome too!

As for the Draks (Dovealove's Drakes), I found this information on the wiki:

Drakes are not actually dragons. Instead, drakes are similar-looking yet unrelated species of flying reptile that share common territory with dragons. As drakes are not related to dragons, they can not breed with dragons.

Although I'm not certain Dovealove indeed meant the above when she created here drakes (or Draks as she dropped the "e" apparently), I think it is logical the current prize dragons can't breed with them.

Prize dragons are already special enough. No need for special breeding (as a BSA or something).

I still think we should cancel prize dragons altogether, so I certainly don't think we should let them breed with things that aren't logical.