AguScyther

Favorite race in LOTR?

Which race do you like best in LOTR?  

148 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Ahhhh I have an unnatural obsession with the Mirkwood Sindarin elves. There's practically no content on them either, so I gotta make due with spiders and purple butterflies.

Hobbits and Elves.

Those are the mainstream loves, but who cares! tongue.gif

I tend to like them for more than because "everyone and their mother likes them."

Hobbits are the best. Completely and unfairly underestimated.

Those who claim that Hobbits are useless deserves a slap over the fingers and then be sent to the corner of shame to read everything Tolkien wrote about Hobbits. Those streaks of adventurous spirit and courage was not a trait belonging solely to some "odd" Tooks and Brandybucks. Combine with kindness and you've got some right awesome people in those green hills.

I have a sorta love-hate relationship with the idea of elves.

I'd probably have more fun with the dwarves.

The Men are more or less hit-or-miss. I do think it's a shame that they often fall back into obscurity compared to Elves and Dwarves, when it's very apparent they've had a lot of interesting moments.

Don't have much of an opinion on Orcs, but I think it's interesting that Tolkien regretted not highlighting that they were essentially forced into subservience by a stronger will, and that they actually possessed some human traits and possibility for redemption.

There is so much about the other races of LOTR that is dynamic, fun, ever evolving, and interesting. While the elves seem... stagnant. Yeah, they are at the end of their rope in LOTR and the Hobbit, and it's very noticeable.

I wouldn't choose to be an elf, honestly, I think they actually got kinda screwed over with the whole deal with immortality, death, fading and stuck on Arda forever.

You're pretty much bound to become weary and tired when you live so long, and even then you can't escape the world even if you die. Elves are bound to the cycles of fate and the world of Arda. Mortal men are free of that. Nobody know where the mortal Men (and by extension Hobbits) go when they die and that'd be interesting to find out.

I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that Tolkien was dismayed how some people didn't pick up on hints he left that the elves' immortality was not all it was cracked up to be.

Also brings to mind that most of the stories supposed to pre-date LOTR, The Hobbit and even the Silmarillon are all accounts stemming from elven scholars. Makes you wonder how the origin story of the EA would differ if you'd manage to get an account of the Dwarven belief system.

Because seriously, some of those text sure seem rather heavy on the elven-centric bias.

Edit: oh, and Ents are pretty cool too.

Edited by Ripan

I hold a special place in my heart for hobbits, stubborn though they are. My next favorite would probably be dwarves, then wizards, humans, orcs, and lastly, elves. Arrogance is an incredibly annoying trait to me, and they possibly possess the least funniest characters in the story, except for Legolas, but only because of Gimli. Like, it would be one thing to read about an arrogant character who also happens to be funny, but the elves are so dang serious...yes they are pretty and their culture is pretty and everything about them is pretty, but that's about all they have going for them in my book, lol.

Hobbits, on the other hand, are adorable. They are simple-minded, sanguine souls interested in food, festivals, rural farmlife, and more food. Also they apparently have very high willpower checks, lol. I just pulled a D&D again...