Darth Krande

ArtCave - the art for dragon trading thread

((Mods! I asked if this idea was OK a while ago in the Tiny Little Questions and I was told this would be OK. But if not, I accept your judgement. ))

First of all, thanks for clicking here!

The basic idea of this topic is to trade art for Dragcave dragons. Art can be any type from sketch to animation, from ficlet to 3D models. What matters is that you agree on it before starting to work and using the teleport link. The other important rule is that you give or get a Dragcave dragon (egg or hatchling) in exchange for the art.

You must always follow DragCave rules. This (among others) include ABSOLUTELY NO reallife money included, or anything that can be exchanged for reallife money. No IOUs unless general trading rules state otherwise. No harassing people for art or dragon.

My thoughts on how this could work:

Since we have ideas and wishes for a longer period of time and tradable dragons for a shorter period (no IOUs, remember?) you need to start at the Art Requests Thread ( http://forums.dragcave.net/index.php?showtopic=140445&st=0 ) . Here people can post what art they want. If you have an art wish, post it here. If you can do art, you will have to browse here and see if you can fulfill a request.

In this topic, the dragon seller / art buyer posts what dragon they have, and a link to what they want for it. (Like in the "normal" trading topics. It is highly recommended to use the lineage link and possibly a pic of the dragon from somewhere like DragcaveWikia. Linking eggs/hatchlings directly is against normal forum rules.) I ask you to use the link to your art wishlist in the ART, or keep your wish short.

If an artist decides they can and want to do the requested art, they contact the dragon seller with a PM. They agree on the details and Artist does a sketch of how the art would look like. Dragonseller is asked to edit their posts by adding an "in progress with (Artist's name here)" warning to their request so that other artists will know that the dragon was spoken for. If Artist doesn't see the change in the post here, they can possibly think that the dragon seller was contacted by other artists and may try to get two pieces of art for the same dragon.

When Artist is done with the art, they send some proof of it (a bad-quality scan, or a watermarked picture, or a part of the picture if the dragonseller had already seen sketch of the whole piece) and the dragonseller sends a one-way teleport link. After teleporting the dragon, artist send the complete and finished art to dragonseller.

Example:

DragonSeller: (writes a post here) user posted image I have a CB deepsea egg ( http://dragcave.net/lineage/l0rLt ) . I would like: a pic of Decepticon Shockwave emoticon-style, or something from my wishlist .

Artist: (sends PM to dragonseller) Hi do you still have that deepsea egg? I can do emoticon portraits (see my deviant page here: http://krande.deviantart.com/ ) and Shockwave looks like an interesting character to do!

DragonSeller: (sends PM to Artist) : Wheeee yes please!

DragonSeller: (edited post) : user posted image I have a CB deepsea egg ( http://dragcave.net/lineage/l0rLt ) . I would like: a pic of Decepticon Shockwave emoticon-style, or something from my wishlist . Artist is doing Shockwave for me!

Artist: (sends PM to DragonSeller) http://krande.deviantart.com/art/Shockwave...rails-305726540 do you like it?

DragonSeller: (sends PM to Artist) http://dragcave.net/teleport/86b9c5fe160b2...8088a62e33df255

Artist (sends PM to DragonSeller) : <o> Thank you for the deepsea!

DragonSeller: (sends PM to Artist) Thank you for the icon!

That's it, in short. I hope we can manage many good trades, as there are people with slow connection and good art skills, and there are also people with fast connection and unfilled art wishes. The point of this thread is to bring these people together.

Good luck! Happy drawing! If you have any ideas for this thread, please share it here!

I'd just like to make a comment about how.... mmm, how can I say it... unrealistic this is.

It would take a boatload of valuable eggs to get me to do art for someone.

Some of the things that are being requested would take me hours to draw and finish, and with art being my only job right now, I would rather be working on a paid commission rather than for virtual dragons.

If some of these requests DON'T take someone hours, I would venture to guess the quality of the art won't be very good.

So to me it seems sort of... silly to expect trades for art done on a regular basis. This thread sort of... devalues the art to me.

There are people in the original works section that will do artwork for CERTAIN eggs from their wishlist, I personally think that's where this sort of thing should stay.

I kind of agree. I noticed your comment about "no reallife money or anything that can be exchanged for reallife money"... well, digital art is bought for real life money all the time. I would do a couple of cute little five-minute sketches for people, maybe, but anything good enough to be watermarked before sending is good enough to get actual money for. Just my two cents.

^^

Well personally as young GOOD artist I don't mind, I like to do art and sketch. I don't expect much in return. Now, if don't agree well okay. I do digtial art and TONS of sketches and even huge oil paintings. I've never gotten money or anything but do I care...no.

So I actually kinda like this thread :3 But that's my opinion.

This is certainly an interesting thread to follow. Given I don't have too many cheap commissions, and given almost all of my work is paid for, I can understand and agree that any work that requires watermarking is not quite an even trade for virtual dragons. Maybe for a sketch or simple icon. Anything more grandiose than that seems unfair from the artist's end.

I have:

user posted image 2nd Gen PB Black Hatchling

I would love a digital sketch of a Salamence, normal or chibi style.~

I think i'd have to agree with Kaini... If i wanted to do art for eggs/hatchlings, they'd better be some darn good offers! Unless out of kindness.. Nobody is really going to want a messy lineaged Nebula..for example, so they can get a beautifully drawn sketch of say... a Nebula dragon.

It takes me just a little bit to long for me to do a drawing for less then maybe a low gen Tinsel... Then again.. i do realize i seem to be acting rather judgemental as i would gladly do art work for someone, but i think that i wouldn't trade for art unless i had higher standards... People will likely not offer very much because art does not benefit to the actual cave.

That's my opinion though, continue please!

Hi,

while I'm sure that there will be some people who will draw one or two pictures in exchange for some (nice?) dragons, it does sound a lot like an IOU to me, which is forbidden. Since there's no way to guarantee that both trade partners get what they were promised....

When it can take more than a few hours to produce a decent piece of art and it takes about ten seconds to breed eggs which can be used for trade, artists which participate in this are either fairly naive, inexperienced or extremely generous.

This (among others) include ABSOLUTELY NO reallife money included, or anything that can be exchanged for reallife money. No IOUs unless general trading rules state otherwise.

Wow, really? Do you know that artists often struggle to work for a living, and here we are assuming that you can demand art for free. People, there is a thing called commissions which artists often live on. That is, getting actual money for your art.

Edited by DarkEternity

I personally wouldn't mind doing a few simple sketches for good offers, but things like the nebula that was offered earlier in the thread are just... inappropriate, even for a five-minute doodle.

^^

For that I do agree. You at least need to make it fair. Anyway, I'd like to make a trade for an art collab.

Have

-8th gen prefect stair shimmer fail

-PM me for more since the other two things I want to offer are FORBIDDEN.

Want

All I want is help for an artist who knows how to shade and color digitally. I can do lines and I already have then for this sketch:

https://i.imgur.com/ZEoGPqX.jpg

I made this earlier in the car and I have no talent digitally. :/ So an art collab would be fun, you get to color however you want.

Please PM if interested. :3

When it can take more than a few hours to produce a decent piece of art and it takes about ten seconds to breed eggs which can be used for trade, artists which participate in this are either fairly naive, inexperienced or extremely generous.

^

This.

Wow, really? Do you know that artists often struggle to work for a living, and here we are assuming that you can demand art for free. People, there is a thing called commissions which artists often live on. That is, getting actual money for your art.

This is why I'm a little sketchy on the existance of this thread. Okay, by my moral standards I don't exactly like it, but by SITE RULES you're not supposed to trade money for eggs or 'virtual currency' for eggs.

Not sure what digital art falls under, but it's kind of toeing the line...

Okay I'll be quiet and leave it to the mods now

Hmm... Something to consider, though it's highly likely I'll very seldom PM a trader here...

If anything, there are several art threads in the Original Works section where artists already accept egg commissions and put their wishlists over there on the OP for users to see what they like and pick whichever eggs/hatchlings that are suitable for them to exchange with for the art. IMO, not worth it to open this thread. If traders want to find art, there's another section full of art threads where they can request/commission one for. For example, I give out free requests for those people who can grab the slots, simply because if I change to egg commissions, 90% of the stalkers in my art thread would flame me since I have kinda high standards for my wishlist (ahem.).

Mods have discussed and have decided to close this thread. Please use the art topics that do allow requests for art in the original works area.

Also, if people are looking simply to request art, we do have a sticky for that in Original Works (where it is allowed for them to offer payment in return, but artists are not allowed to demand payment).