Vhale

Remote Biomes

Thank the gods, common sense has come!

Though seriously, larger releases wouldn't make the game implode.

If remote biomes came into being, I'd like it if there weren't any releases there for 2-3 months so people could collect the numbers of the remote breeds.

No matter which way you do this, some people will always be excluded unless the remote biomes are open for everybody from the start.

Also, a new release isn't the same as a new biome with lots of breeds. You know that the breeds will always drop there, in mostly the same ratio, for the next few months (until the biome gets a new breed or two added to it). With a new release in an old biome, however, you know you have an easy time catching the new ones during the first few hours of the release, but that they may be very hard to get for weeks or months afterwards. Even if they're common.

Conservative estimate on dragon raising?

5 Dragons (1 week)

10 Dragons (2 weeks)

15 Dragons (2 weeks)

20 Dragons (3 weeks)

30 Dragons (4 weeks)

40 Dragons (5 weeks)

50 Dragons (6 weeks)

60 Dragons (8 weeks)

70 Dragons (9 weeks)

This is based on no incubates, 4 egg slots and taking a 1 day break. Or will that just skew people negatively?

We've gotten side tracked, my fault really :3

Poll options? Dragon raising for access numbers or more general?

I personally still like the idea of raising 15 dragons from each biome to gain access.

I personally still like the idea of raising 15 dragons from each biome to gain access.

I personally favour a choice of methods.

Seriously, if we go as low as 15 dragons per biome, we don't need a choice of methods. Because all you'd have to do is raise one dragon of each breed - or two of half the breeds in any given biome. Even people with narrow scroll goals should be able to do that. (And if you only collect breed X, you wouldn't need to visit any remote biomes, would you?)

Seriously, if we go as low as 15 dragons per biome, we don't need a choice of methods. Because all you'd have to do is raise one dragon of each breed - or two of half the breeds in any given biome. Even people with narrow scroll goals should be able to do that. (And if you only collect breed X, you wouldn't need to visit any remote biomes, would you?)

Oh I know. I still like the idea of a choice smile.gif

I'll put it up as an option, but to me, getting access in under 2 weeks is a no go. But I'm kinda repeating myself there. I take it the access poll is fine. I can leave it up for two weeks. I was more pondering if I should add in how quickly a gold scroll could do it, rather than just the slow case scenario.

I still prefer a bronze trophy being the access code.

Unless you're brand new, raising dragons these days is easy. Thanks to the new AP, I'm raising around 20 or more dragons every 5 days... or about 120 per month. So getting a broze trophy will only take around 10 days, unless you want to add in a time facter too.

Making the access too strict will just be counterproductive.

I tend to come down slightly on the side of anything worth having is worth working for. Not in a "....so now raise 500 dragons before you even *see* a remote biome!" way, but in a sort of "a little anticipation does no one harm" sort of way. I recall being fascinated by the Yulebucks when I first started playing DC in 2009, and they were a breed I looked forward to getting for almost a year. If it's interesting enough (and a bit of a challenge, but not a hopelessly impossible one), it *will* act as an encouragement to new players.

Out of curiosity: do you mean that they should drop exclusively in the specific biome? If yes, does that mean that someone that has a gold trophy but collects almost only dragons that drop in all biomes wouldn't gain access? And how would that work for dragons that used to drop in a biome and now drop in a different one? Again, not objecting, just curious.

No, I don't mean exclusive to the biome. So if someone only collected purples (which drop everywhere) they'd totally get access to all biomes with 15 dragons. I know most of you think that's too easy. I do come down on the side of "make this open to anyone who actually knows how to raise dragons!" rather than making it more work.

I'm ok with requiring more work, I just don't think it needs to be hard. I'd rather have more people have access even when they're new rather than only have long term vets able to access.

No, I don't mean exclusive to the biome. So if someone only collected purples (which drop everywhere) they'd totally get access to all biomes with 15 dragons. I know most of you think that's too easy. I do come down on the side of "make this open to anyone who actually knows how to raise dragons!" rather than making it more work.

I'm ok with requiring more work, I just don't think it needs to be hard. I'd rather have more people have access even when they're new rather than only have long term vets able to access.

And I fully agree with your approach smile.gif

I have less of a problem with the make it easy approach as far as it being easy, as that it's essentially opening new biomes with a 2 week delay. Which I assume runs afoul of TJs, no new biome thing. So I doubt it's a workable option, though I don't mind suggesting it. I just think it's got little chance of passing. But that is my interpretation of his remarks.

Granted, that's while i'm also leaning towards seasonal. People wait 11 months for holidays as it is if they are newbies. But rather than try to balance people that: Collect 2 per breed or 30 per breed or raise 120 per month or 4 per month, the biomes simply rotate. Collect them as ye will. So to speak.

So long as it doesn't take more than 500 dragons total to reach it, I'll probably be happy. Just please don't expect everyone to want to hoard thousands of dragons in order to reach it. Some people value their tidy(ish) scrolls with 2 or 3 of each breed on them.

So long as it doesn't take more than 500 dragons total to reach it, I'll probably be happy. Just please don't expect everyone to want to hoard thousands of dragons in order to reach it. Some people value their tidy(ish) scrolls with 2 or 3 of each breed on them.

Lol, don't know if you've noticed, but this thread has been dead for well over 2 years. (We all do this at some point, btw. smile.gif )

The biomes we have now move when lots of new dragons are Released in them - the ideal would be to have LOTS of variety in our current biomes without excessive blockers holding things up.

Adding more biomes would split up the numbers of people hunting in any particular biome, overall causing a greater slow-down in biome movement, and the fewer dragons added to any particular biome, the less likely it is that anyone present will see anything they could use in order to take an egg and get things moving.

With new dragons and more people hunting, the odds of someone coming into a biome and being willing to sacrifice a space or two for 5 hours, (taking one or more unwanted egg(s) to dump to the AP after cool-down completes) in order to see what pops up in its place increases; with new biomes having lots of Releases, people would be drawn away from the others.

If uber-Commons are not taken, (as is typical, since people generally already have enough of those,) they are potentially recirculated during the hour and endlessly regenerated every hourly to block the entry of other eggs people might be able to use. There is a Suggestion to 'roll off' these unwanted eggs into the AP, to come up as lower-time eggs, since ANY egg which is close to hatching/Incuhatchable will be taken and raised/Frozen, thereby helping to fill the ratios and reduce the number of 'blocker eggs' perpetually created and re-created by the Cave - which tend to sit until the shuffles and block other eggs from appearing.

There are other issues relating to making New Releases exclusive to any particular group and otherwise limiting their access by other groups to trade (in a game where the main point and the most fun was generally based on/found in catching Cave dragons, rather than being a trading game) which I won't get into at this point and will ardently hope that we never need to, lol.